Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Suda shared some brief comments with PCGN

The new campaign will place you firmly in the wrestling boots of the son of the character from the FPW Special storyline as he too becomes a rookie wrestler. Suda plans to "portray the internal workings of a pro wrestler, and all the drama that comes along with that", but it's very early in the process so he's not sure how dark it's gonna get... The release date is unknown, since Suda is basically doing his writing at home after work, but it'll hopefully be out this year.

In addition, Suda is trying to convince Spike to translate FPW Special and put it on Steam, so the rest of the world can be introduced to that ball of crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Kins posted:

Suda shared some brief comments with PCGN

The new campaign will place you firmly in the wrestling boots of the son of the character from the FPW Special storyline as he too becomes a rookie wrestler. Suda plans to "portray the internal workings of a pro wrestler, and all the drama that comes along with that", but it's very early in the process so he's not sure how dark it's gonna get... The release date is unknown, since Suda is basically doing his writing at home after work, but it'll hopefully be out this year.

In addition, Suda is trying to convince Spike to translate FPW Special and put it on Steam, so the rest of the world can be introduced to that ball of crazy.

Honestly I'm kinda surprised that in spite of how famous that game is by Wrestling game standards that it hasn't gotten a fan translation

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm really hoping they do something Joshi-themed or at least co-ed, the game really needs more female parts and voice options.

Stardom would probably be open to licensed content right? Probably depends on if the NJPW content is exclusive and no other companies can have licensed content.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man I really want to like Fire Pro Wrestling World, but the split second timing it requires to pull off moves is loving idiotic, especially since as far as I can tell there's not even a hint at what that timing is

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

drrockso20 posted:

Man I really want to like Fire Pro Wrestling World, but the split second timing it requires to pull off moves is loving idiotic, especially since as far as I can tell there's not even a hint at what that timing is

I've been trying to get into the Fire Pro series since I first downloaded a SNES emulator back in the early 2000s, and I've never been able to get a handle on the gameplay and the timing for stuff. I keep hearing people talk about how great the franchise is but every time I try I just bounce hard off of it. :sigh:

It's good to finally find someone else that's frustrated with it too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

I've been trying to get into the Fire Pro series since I first downloaded a SNES emulator back in the early 2000s, and I've never been able to get a handle on the gameplay and the timing for stuff. I keep hearing people talk about how great the franchise is but every time I try I just bounce hard off of it. :sigh:

Honestly it seems to be an issue that is near universal with wrestling games(although I'll admit I've only played a couple), which is really silly considering the sport it's supposed to be emulating

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

drrockso20 posted:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The moment to enter a command in Fire Pro is when the wrestlers stamp their front feet on the mat during the lockup. So either watch the feet or listen for the stamp. Whichever wrestlers gets closer to that perfect moment of timing performs their move. However if you try to execute really powerful moves early on, there is a chance it will be countered by the opponent automatically.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vandar posted:

It's part of why I get more of a kick out of doing the Promoter Mode and viewing the matches I book. Watching it has always been more fun than just playing it for me

Although I also just always love that/GM Mode stuff in wrestling games, SVR 06 is still one of my most-played games just for that GM Mode

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Huh that feels like they really should have mentioned that in the tutorial

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

drrockso20 posted:

It kinda does? But very poorly. IIRC the training mode has you flash at the right moment.

I agree the game could use much better tutorials. Anyways, hopefully that helps.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

the difficulty affects the grapple input timing so set to 1 and increase it as you get better

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Have any of you played the Sega All Japan series, imo 2000 is the best wrestling game ever

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Just play TEW like a normal person

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll probably check TEW out when the 2020 version comes out, since that sounds like it changes a lot.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Steam might get TEW 2016 by the time '20 comes out

:smith: no they won't

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

I just can't get myself interested in a game that is basically just a bunch of spreadsheets

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I just can't get myself interested in a game that is basically just a bunch of spreadsheets

This is the game genre I play.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

There are a few missions in the tutorial/mission mode where the characters flash at the moment you're supposed to input a command, practicing with this can help you get a feel for it. That and setting the difficulty to 1 to give yourself more time before the AI puts in their command. It really is a timing/rhythm thing, and eventually(hopefully) it'll just click for you.

That, or just do what most hardcore Fire Pro fans do and just watch AI controlled characters fight each other.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's not a fighting game

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

its you fighting the ui and losing

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Have any of you played the Sega All Japan series, imo 2000 is the best wrestling game ever

Getting the Giant Gram 2000 burning attack for your create a wrestler is a long path to follow, but it's a very cool move to have.

And while I don't think it's the best wrestling game ever, it's in my top 3, but that's mainly because I'm a massive Sega/VF mark.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

This is the problem I've always run into with TEW. Not enough visual style to really catch my eye and distract from the gameplay that takes forever to actually figure out.

FPW's Promoter mode looks fun as hell after watching the NL guys stream it, but it's like $80 on PS4 for the full bundle game with DLC, and I can't justify that much money for a game I'm barely going to actually play (because I have never been good at FP controls).

My lovely booking will have to continue in 80's Mania Wrestling and 2K19 Universe mode for now.

Speaking of Universe, apparently Okada and Hayabusa are having some beef. I don't know why (skipped ahead a couple months) but that's a thing that's happening.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It sounds to me like Ryland is trying to make TEW2020 more visually appealing and slightly less spreadsheety. But it's always gonna be a nerd game all about setting up things and then some words and numbers as the payoff. It just sounds like less levels of spreadsheets and like you see the profile images more. I love it but I can't blame anyone for being bored or frustrated out of their minds.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

It takes a while to get ahold of but I’ve never thought the gameplay is anything special even once I did. It’s ok but I had infinitely more fun with the customizing and simulation aspects. Plus it’s a lot less annoying when a mid range strike that obviously connected just goes through the opponent when it’s a computer it’s happening to instead of you

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Fire Pro is less prone to physics goofs, which is the flip on the wrestling gameplay coin.

Yes, people want to have compelling 5* epics with their faves BUT people also want to have that weird moment where a chairshot on top of a ladder causes the ring to inflate and explode.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

STAC Goat posted:

It sounds to me like Ryland is trying to make TEW2020 more visually appealing and slightly less spreadsheety. But it's always gonna be a nerd game all about setting up things and then some words and numbers as the payoff. It just sounds like less levels of spreadsheets and like you see the profile images more. I love it but I can't blame anyone for being bored or frustrated out of their minds.

You will still have to absolutely make your own spreadsheets. It’s easier if you don’t go with face/heel divides or even divisions, tbh. But it’s still a management game that will never have the UI polish of even the wankiest Paradox high strategy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not even sure how you could dress TEW style game without it being a bunch of menus and poo poo.

Unless you could hide all the wonk work behind an AI interaction thing. You do the legwork of talking and wrangling people to show up(like a dating sim), the AI presents you with a card and finishes, you make the final touches and viola, wrasslin.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, in the best case scenario its still just a prettier micro management game. Its appealing to a very specific sort of "fun."

I loving love it.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I played a ton of Baseball Mogul and EWR, but every iteration of TEW I every tried just felt like too much to grasp.

quote:

You do the legwork of talking and wrangling people to show up(like a dating sim), the AI presents you with a card and finishes, you make the final touches and viola, wrasslin.

I'd gently caress with this

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hybridize TEW with Fire Pro’s match engine or really any half decent match engine.

It just needs some visuals

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

beggar posted:

I played a ton of Baseball Mogul and EWR, but every iteration of TEW I every tried just felt like too much to grasp.

I think all these games just take a huge learning curve. I bought OOTP Baseball a few years back after recommendations that it was basically baseball TEW. And while I dug the feel of it I could never get the feel of it and bailed. But I'm betting its just a matter of time and energy to really get what I'm doing and figure out some tricks. I just never got over the learning hump.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hybridize TEW with Fire Pro’s match engine or really any half decent match engine.

It just needs some visuals

Hell just mash Fire Promoter with TEW.

Problem solved.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

STAC Goat posted:

I'd like to see TEW get a Sega 'Manager' style live match strategy gameplay situation. Watch an AI controlled match like Firepro, but with ability to use orders / commands. Change the finish on the fly, cut the match short / extend based on crowd reaction, slow or speed up the action etc. Wrestler personality types / traits playing a factor whether they comply or go into business for themselves, similar to Motorsport Manager drivers being more / less likely to obey orders based on their status and mood.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

FullMetalJackoff posted:

I'd like to see TEW get a Sega 'Manager' style live match strategy gameplay situation. Watch an AI controlled match like Firepro, but with ability to use orders / commands. Change the finish on the fly, cut the match short / extend based on crowd reaction, slow or speed up the action etc. Wrestler personality types / traits playing a factor whether they comply or go into business for themselves, similar to Motorsport Manager drivers being more / less likely to obey orders based on their status and mood.

There are so many times while simming a mid-card match in Fire Pro I wish I could tell the ref to signal to the wrestlers to loving make a pin already.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There are so many times while simming a mid-card match in Fire Pro I wish I could tell the ref to signal to the wrestlers to loving make a pin already.

That's why the macro / priority command list in World is one of the best additions to vanilla Firepro. Finisher > Pinfall (set at x% priority)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh I do that kinda stuff, but sometimes the RNG just doesn't want to end the match!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The problem is programmers don’t know how to design a user friendly UI, and they won’t hire a designer to do it

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Galaga Galaxian posted:

With the mod pack you can just take control of whichever guy and go home yourself.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Man, I used to know how to do this stuff but setting up custom N64 emulation for each random AKI game mod is just too far beyond me at this point. This came out today and I want to play it but all I get is error after error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmosx2NZnZQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

coconono posted:

Unless you could hide all the wonk work behind an AI interaction thing. You do the legwork of talking and wrangling people to show up(like a dating sim), the AI presents you with a card and finishes, you make the final touches and viola, wrasslin.

You can have the AI autobook your shows for you. I do this all the time and then just tweak or add to what it spits out.