Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Easy Diff posted:

That's literally the conceit of "American Musical Theater" as opposed to Opera or musicals that are sung-through (like Les Mis), and AMT is one of only three art forms (with Jazz and Pro-Wrestling) that are specifically and genuinely American culture. So if you don't like it, that's cool, but you're a philistine who's wrong and I hate you.

I definitely can admit that when it comes to musicals I'm a philistine. I had an initial distaste for them as a kid(was forced to sit through many of them against my will), and never really got over that so I don't tend to give them a fair shake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I definitely can admit that when it comes to musicals I'm a philistine. I had an initial distaste for them as a kid(was forced to sit through many of them against my will), and never really got over that so I don't tend to give them a fair shake.

I've only become more open to musicals as a whole in the past year or so, but poo poo like Rocketman and Bohemian Rhapsody are doing their best to kill that interest.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
While horror musicals are dope I will always hard rep for nihilistic and ironic musicals like Pennies from Heaven or Dancer in the Dark

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Franchescanado posted:

I've only become more open to musicals as a whole in the past year or so, but poo poo like Rocketman and Bohemian Rhapsody are doing their best to kill that interest.

Jukebox musicals are poison

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

While horror musicals are dope I will always hard rep for nihilistic and ironic musicals like Pennies from Heaven or Dancer in the Dark

Pssst. Watch The Lure. It should pop up on CriterionChannel in April, since it was on FilmStruck.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I assert that there can be good Jukebox musicals, they just tend to inspire laziness amongst the filmmakers and producers.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I assert that there can be good Jukebox musicals, they just tend to inspire laziness amongst the filmmakers and producers.

I counter your argument by pointing to every jukebox musical ever made

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I counter your argument by pointing to every jukebox musical ever made

Do Purple Rain, A Hard Day's Night and The Blues Brothers count?

Happy Feet and Moulin Rouge!, while not anywhere near my favorites, aren't bad.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Do Purple Rain, A Hard Day's Night and The Blues Brothers count?

I feel those are technically jukebox musicals but fall out of the domain of the traditional jukebox musical which I always saw as "a plot reverse engineered around a collection of popular songs"

Like Hard Days Night and Purple Rain don't really count for me because the music doesn't inform the plot as much as they are presented as the actual production of the characters within. Not quite a realist musical but certainly not "mamma mia". Similarly, Blues Brothers is built around the songs but is also consciously narrated to be built around the songs. Its not like, say, Rock of Ages where no one seems to acknowledge they are breaking out into classic hits of the 80s, the characters are clearly going "lets find and sing classic blues poo poo".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel those are technically jukebox musicals but fall out of the domain of the traditional jukebox musical which I always saw as "a plot reverse engineered around a collection of popular songs"

Like Hard Days Night and Purple Rain don't really count for me because the music doesn't inform the plot as much as they are presented as the actual production of the characters within. Not quite a realist musical but certainly not "mamma mia". Similarly, Blues Brothers is built around the songs but is also consciously narrated to be built around the songs. Its not like, say, Rock of Ages where no one seems to acknowledge they are breaking out into classic hits of the 80s, the characters are clearly going "lets find and sing classic blues poo poo".

All fair points. I wouldn't really think of them as Jukebox Musicals (except Moulin Rouge! and Happy Feet, when that's explicitly what they are), but those were the only ones that popped up on the list that I like.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This conversation must be what it's like as a non-horror fan to hear people discuss the differences between slasher and giallo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Pennies from Heaven (the original UK version) is so loving weird as a dark musical that I will always respect it.

It might technically be a jukebox musical too but I feel like its too deliberately insane to count

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

fr can we shut the gently caress up about at least non-horror musicals ya posers

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

I'm as iffy about musicals as I am about message movies. I liked Little Shop of Horrors. Phantom of the Paradise is so much a favorite, my copy's getting buried with me. I liked the stage version of Sweeney Todd with Angela Landsbury, and the stage version of Into the Woods with Bernadette Peters, but the film versions were kinda meh with me. I liked Blues Brothers but then I've yet to see someone from Chicago not like it, and Purple Rain was okay.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

This conversation must be what it's like as a non-horror fan to hear people discuss the differences between slasher and giallo.

Kvlt! posted:

fr can we shut the gently caress up about at least non-horror musicals ya posers

Quick, rank your favorite Friday the 13th Busby Berkeley films.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mikeycp posted:

if a sumo wrestler bringing a 13 year old to a mountain hideaway and then dying top of her mid gently caress isn't horror than i don't know what is

Good god.

mikeycp posted:

not to double post, but i just watched Butterfly Kisses on amazon and it's several layers of documentary-style found footage and each layer is different and rules a lot in its own way

i expected it to loving suck, but it whipped rear end insanely hard

check it out, found footage lovers

Gonna check it out.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Good god.

And then they bury the bodies to a Sound of Music inspired song about family togetherness

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Quick, rank your favorite Friday the 13th Busby Berkeley films.

I liked They Made Me a Criminal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the alien in 3 looks dope though

That's a thousand year old Laurence Fishburne.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Pennies from Heaven is amazing but isn’t it technically a jukebox musical?

Edit: I can see I’m just in time for this conversation

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Pennies from Heaven is amazing but isn’t it technically a jukebox musical?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It might technically be a jukebox musical too but I feel like its too deliberately insane to count

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is pick of destiny a jukebox musical

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Jim Jarmusch’s next film is a zombie movie with an awesome cast
https://twitter.com/variety/status/1111017009192431616

quote:

Focus Features’ “The Dead Don’t Die” also stars Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton, Chloë Sevigny, Steve Buscemi, Danny Glover, Caleb Landry Jones, Rosie Perez, Iggy Pop, Sara Driver, RZA, Selena Gomez, Carol Kane, and Tom Waits.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Jim Jarmusch, will you make a werewolf movie next?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jim Jarmusch's Dark Universe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Splint Chesthair posted:

Jim Jarmusch's Dark Universe.

He's a fair bit of the way there.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Iggy Pop is still alive? I call bullshit.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Whatever happened to that movie Dario Argento was making with Iggy Pop?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Easy Diff posted:

Iggy Pop is still alive? I call bullshit.

I'm pretty sure he's a lich like Keith Richards.

And I'm sitting through Butterfly Kisses. I so desperately want to put Gavin through a wall, he grates on my nerves so much.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Among the thousand film adaptations of Frankenstein and Dracula, which ones are most accurate to the source material?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alvarez IV posted:

Among the thousand film adaptations of Frankenstein and Dracula, which ones are most accurate to the source material?

Frankenstein, there isn't one. Pick I Frankenstein or Bride of

Dracula you have some options. Franco Dracula is FAIRLY faithful without being dry and boring and it has Lee as Dracula without it being a Hammer Horror venture. It's a movie he wanted to do and it shows.

Coupla Dracula has a lot of silly poo poo in it. A LOT. It goes above and beyond the novel to the point where even though it has almost the entire book in it, it almost eclipses the book.

There's a BBC mini series from the 70s I think? that is probably the most accurate version but it's also hideously dry and not very good

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alvarez IV posted:

Joke answer: "I, Frankenstein" and "Dracula 2000"

Serious answer: there kind of isn't one because both books require a bunch of changes to work as movies (especially Dracula since it's original format is a series of letters). "Mary Shelly's Frankenstein" and "Bram Stroker's Dracula" probably come the closest (they're not the most entertaining movies, just the most accurate), and even they change a lot of stuff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Joke answer: "I, Frankenstein"

Love you

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

And I'm sitting through Butterfly Kisses. I so desperately want to put Gavin through a wall, he grates on my nerves so much.

Yeah, he's pretty insufferable.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I've talked in this thread about my idea for rebooting the F13 franchise by making it a soft reboot that takes place in the 80's, but I had a revelation:

Joe Swanberg would make a loving perfect Tommy Jarvis.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I saw Evil Dead The Musical when it was still around in the US and it was fuckin' amazing. My wife saw the Silence of the Lambs musical which was said to be awesome too.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Serious answer: there kind of isn't one because both books require a bunch of changes to work as movies (especially Dracula since it's original format is a series of letters).

I appreciate how Dracula was cutting edge for the time with many of it being audio entries on phonograph cylinders and how Mina is hype for that being a thing like how one would be hype for any new piece of tech today.

I guess if you really wanted to adapt Dracula in a super accurate way, you'd could treat it like an anthology movie with Mina recounting stuff being the framing story.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

meh

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 28, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Narzack posted:

Yeah, he's pretty insufferable.

Overall, I liked it. I thought the mix of it being found footage with an overlay about obsessions really worked. Though I am a bit fuzzy about part of the ending. In the post credits scene where the documentary crew play the tape, I'm assuming Gavin did end up finding Sophia. What exactly did she do to cheat Peeping Tom? It first looked like she cut off her eyelids/popped her eyes, but in the later footage it looked like her eyes were there but dead white and she was blind?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

M_Sinistrari posted:

yeah he's the worst

it rules

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw Evil Dead The Musical when it was still around in the US and it was fuckin' amazing. My wife saw the Silence of the Lambs musical which was said to be awesome too.

I appreciate how Dracula was cutting edge for the time with many of it being audio entries on phonograph cylinders and how Mina is hype for that being a thing like how one would be hype for any new piece of tech today.

I guess if you really wanted to adapt Dracula in a super accurate way, you'd could treat it like an anthology movie with Mina recounting stuff being the framing story.

I don't know how many people in this thread have played Hypnospace Outlaw (but if you haven't you should, it's good), but something like that would probably be the most authentic way to mimic the original version of Dracula for a modern retelling. Have it be a bunch of emails and news stories and social media posts and security footage and stuff like that you need to shift through to uncover the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I've seen the Evil Dead musical as well its super loving good.