Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

hammocks are convenience store burritos for hungry bears

carry bear spray, make it a spicy burrito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
if you don't mind i'm just going to keep posting dog and snow pictures in this thread until either nobody works in tech any more or the snow has all melted

sketchy avalanche conditions in the mountains after the recent warm weather so yesterday we went for a low level snowshoe hike instead

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:negative:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I'm not a snow scientist but it seems like the lowlands would be the worst place to be during an avalanche warning wouldn't it?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

if you don't mind i'm just going to keep posting dog and snow pictures in this thread until either nobody works in tech any more or the snow has all melted

sketchy avalanche conditions in the mountains after the recent warm weather so yesterday we went for a low level snowshoe hike instead

man you got some beautiful scenery around you

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Corla Plankun posted:

I'm not a snow scientist but it seems like the lowlands would be the worst place to be during an avalanche warning wouldn't it?

the worst place to be would be high up in the mountains, where the avalanches happen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

hammocks are convenience store burritos for hungry bears

lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
huge bump

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
good poo poo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

BUMP :f5:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
bumpity bump bump

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bumo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I am on vacation. itching to hit some trails with my girl friend

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol just realized ive had a tick burrowed into my shoulder all day and have no way of getting it out. cool. gently caress the forest too. its too early in the year for this poo poo. how the gently caress do you even get a tick on your shoulder.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It’s that time of year here

I remember making my way through some overgrown single track maybe last year and sweeping a dozen or more ticks off every 50 feet or so

hell on mt diablo last year, I barely had any contact with brush and in like the brief moment I did to let some people going the opposite way past I picked up like 3 ticks

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
somehow they feel worse here than even the tick hell bfe I grew up in

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

It’s that time of year here

I remember making my way through some overgrown single track maybe last year and sweeping a dozen or more ticks off every 50 feet or so

hell on mt diablo last year, I barely had any contact with brush and in like the brief moment I did to let some people going the opposite way past I picked up like 3 ticks

yeah, thinking about it, i took a trip to henry coe in late march 2017, also a wet year, and they were everywhere. i remember closing my eyes that night in my tent and seeing ticks.

at least my girlfriend was able to pry this one off of my shoulder in one piece once she got home. better me than my dog i guess.

lancemantis posted:

somehow they feel worse here than even the tick hell bfe I grew up in

agreed. i remember my mom checking us for ticks as a kid and never seeing one, but here you can barely avoid them.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

they make little tick remover spoons that work really well if this becomes a recurrent problem for you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Have fun with ur new spirochete friends

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i spend a lot of time outside, and regularly get ticks - i always pick them off, but getting lyme disease doesn't sound like fun and can lead to permanent negative effects
ticks are just the worst spiders

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I am on vacation. itching to hit some trails with my girl friend

i can’t help but feel i’ve gotten to know you thru your twitter and i want to say I think you’re a great person

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
in Texas we have ticks that make you forever allergic to red meat

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

in Texas we have ticks that make you forever allergic to red meat

is that punishable by stoning or are you just exiled?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

is that punishable by stoning or are you just exiled?

once you are marked as no longer fit to be texan, we take you out back and put you down

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I found a tick on my balls once

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
EXTREME BUMP

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
booked a week in a cottage this summer, can't wait

bump

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I found a tick on my balls once

wow gently caress that

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

tick suckin' dick, absorbing my energies

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

bump because the entire world is assholes

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

i can’t help but feel i’ve gotten to know you thru your twitter and i want to say I think you’re a great person

mate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
🤗

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sdoots posted:

sudden desire to get up from my desk and go up to a cabin somewhere. just sit on a dock and drink beer and look at a lake.

don't do anything meaningful, productive, etc. just sit on my rear end.

look at that fuckin' lake.

this morning just past sunrise

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sometimes even computer needs a break

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

going to rei today for a pack fitting and some insoles. physical therapist says I place my feet stupid and need to stop doing that.

last year I went on a 13 mi hike (in) and could no longer lift my right leg around mile 10. had to semi drag it with poles the rest of the way. PT thinks I poked a nerve in my spine by carrying a pack the wrong way. felt good to me :shrug:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Broken Machine posted:

this morning just past sunrise

nice

good

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

going to rei today for a pack fitting and some insoles. physical therapist says I place my feet stupid and need to stop doing that.

last year I went on a 13 mi hike (in) and could no longer lift my right leg around mile 10. had to semi drag it with poles the rest of the way. PT thinks I poked a nerve in my spine by carrying a pack the wrong way. felt good to me :shrug:
yeah a well fitting pack is really important especially because you often don't notice that it doesn't fit right until after a long day. then once you start to get tired the pain comes too, or the next day your back and shoulders feel hosed and you're not quite sure why. stuff like having the chest strap correctly tightened, making sure the belt is sitting on your hips properly, that the shoulder adjustment straps are the right length make a big difference over a number of miles even if when you first put it on in the morning nothing seems uncomfortable

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

should i get an internal or external frame pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
do they still even make externals?