Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Lord_Hambrose posted:

They are actually making a 2nd edition of Mummy the Curse?

1e mummy was so weird that I can't really even concieve of what a second edition would look like.

Like, Geist I had a good conception of because I liked the line and I (thought I) knew what the weak spots were.

Mummy was just so entirely "I don't know what to do with this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I hope they give you powers that actually help you do what your Guild is supposed to do. I really liked the idea of the first Mummy for the most part, but boy I can't imagine it saw many tables.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

The Storyteller's Vault style guide, bizarrely enough, has stealth spoilers on some of the ideas they plan to do with MTC 2e:

• More explicit about the core concept of what's actually going on with mummies, as instruments of the rulers of history's first empire to sabotage all others and steal the world's Sekhem to fatten themselves, rather than drip-feeding it over the course of supplements.
  • Their intended mission is to usher in cycles of civilization's rise and fall, such that the arts, which they claim ownership over and seed inherited elements thereof, have time to redevelop and thrive, but such that no people ever grows to rival the Iremites.
  • A non-linear experience of time, where the Arisen perception of the order of their awakenings does not conform to chronological sequence. It appears you could end one Descent and awaken for the next one centuries prior?

I'm open to MTC 2e being good, but they really need to knock over a bunch of existing edifices to do it, which historically White Wolf and Onyx Path don't really like to do much. The mechanics need to be much less fiddly and specific. The game has to work much harder to make the death cycle and group games playable. There's too much unmemorable jargon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crasical posted:

1e mummy was so weird that I can't really even concieve of what a second edition would look like.

Like, Geist I had a good conception of because I liked the line and I (thought I) knew what the weak spots were.

Mummy was just so entirely "I don't know what to do with this."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vhpk7DhZM

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

I Am Just a Box posted:

The Storyteller's Vault style guide, bizarrely enough, has stealth spoilers on some of the ideas they plan to do with MTC 2e:

• More explicit about the core concept of what's actually going on with mummies, as instruments of the rulers of history's first empire to sabotage all others and steal the world's Sekhem to fatten themselves, rather than drip-feeding it over the course of supplements.
  • Their intended mission is to usher in cycles of civilization's rise and fall, such that the arts, which they claim ownership over and seed inherited elements thereof, have time to redevelop and thrive, but such that no people ever grows to rival the Iremites.
  • A non-linear experience of time, where the Arisen perception of the order of their awakenings does not conform to chronological sequence. It appears you could end one Descent and awaken for the next one centuries prior?

I'm open to MTC 2e being good, but they really need to knock over a bunch of existing edifices to do it, which historically White Wolf and Onyx Path don't really like to do much. The mechanics need to be much less fiddly and specific. The game has to work much harder to make the death cycle and group games playable. There's too much unmemorable jargon.

Have you got a link to this? I can't find the Curse guide on the Vault site.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I never got around to fully reading Mummy but I liked it conceptually. I really liked the idea of starting as super powerful, but having no memory, and then as time goes on you weaken but remember who you are and now it's a struggle against time where you're trying to do your duty but also want to do the things you liked to do as a person and you're getting weaker and weaker but you have to do this task, but oh man I used to really like to cook and eat fine foods and I want to do that, but if I don't I'll go back to my tomb, so I have to complete the task I was summoned for, but when I do that I'll go back to my tomb.

Basically the struggle of recovering your identity and remember your past lives vs carrying out the inscrutable will of weird god-like beings as is your duty was conceptually pretty cool.

EDIT: Oh and the weird rear end damage system looked pretty cool too. "LOL, aggravated damage, OK, let me reattach my arm and turn you into a pile of smoldering ashes, one sec"

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

It's in the 'bulk' style guide, I don't think they've made a specific one for just Mummy yet.

https://www.storytellersvault.com/product/258968/Chronicles-of-Darkness-Storytellers-Vault-Style-Guide

The one called Final. It has Mummy, Demon, Promethean, Mage, Werewolf, Vampire, and the God Machine.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mummies for me, make great momentary antagonists to have players just happen upon. My fav being 'chase bad guy into the British museum, just in time for one to wake up'. But they're really really hard to run as PC's. Lots of complicated little systems, and their powers are really really all over the place.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Barbed Tongues posted:

V:tM Legacy-style boardgame announced

https://www.vtm-heritage.com/

Glad to see WoD stuff branching out from tabletop again, hoping for more of it.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

I've found Mummy to be really fun to play for three reasons:

Themes: It's basically the horror of being middle management. You have a cult (which can even explicitly take the form of a corporation) that obeys you, but also sets your priority and ultimately follows priorities of the Judges of Duat, who you ultimately serve. The more you obey the Judges and follow the purpose of the cult, the more your memories and individuality get worn down. The more you try to assert yourself and be a decent person, the Judges strip away your ability to live until finally you sink down back into Duat into nightmares you won't remember until next time the cult summons you forth.

Gameplay: It's reverse D&D. You start as a super-powerful lich with minions and a tomb/dungeon stocked with treasures that are precious to you. You often awaken not by being summoned by your cult but by having your tomb desecrated by modern (or ancient depending on the campaign timeframe) adventurers and looters. As you chase them down, your character level/power stat gets lower and lower until you're essentially a sickly human.

Egypt Horror aesthetic: You're calling down curses, speaking with Anubis, remembering ancient glories, and fighting monstrous things that used to be people you knew before you were cursed. It's messy and weird.

Bonus reason: My favorite way to play is to have one or two players be Mummies and the rest of the party play as loyal cultist minions. I've only played the game as a cultist, so I'm a fan of that play-style.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Octavo posted:

I've found Mummy to be really fun to play for three reasons:

Themes: It's basically the horror of being middle management. You have a cult (which can even explicitly take the form of a corporation) that obeys you, but also sets your priority and ultimately follows priorities of the Judges of Duat, who you ultimately serve. The more you obey the Judges and follow the purpose of the cult, the more your memories and individuality get worn down. The more you try to assert yourself and be a decent person, the Judges strip away your ability to live until finally you sink down back into Duat into nightmares you won't remember until next time the cult summons you forth.

Gameplay: It's reverse D&D. You start as a super-powerful lich with minions and a tomb/dungeon stocked with treasures that are precious to you. You often awaken not by being summoned by your cult but by having your tomb desecrated by modern (or ancient depending on the campaign timeframe) adventurers and looters. As you chase them down, your character level/power stat gets lower and lower until you're essentially a sickly human.

Egypt Horror aesthetic: You're calling down curses, speaking with Anubis, remembering ancient glories, and fighting monstrous things that used to be people you knew before you were cursed. It's messy and weird.

Bonus reason: My favorite way to play is to have one or two players be Mummies and the rest of the party play as loyal cultist minions. I've only played the game as a cultist, so I'm a fan of that play-style.

That's basically the jist I was getting reading through it put a lot better than I put it.

I really wanna play this fuckin' game.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

There's just one Chronicles of Darkness Style Guide, I think on the blue-book page. It's not a well laid out site. The version I read had sections for the blue-book line, then Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Promethean, Demon, and Mummy, with all but the blue-book and Demon broken up into first and second edition summaries.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Mummy as I experienced it was really weird because it seemed like there was exactly one modern day chronicle you could run, which had a time limit, and then you're done and it's period flashbacks or nothing. That isn't necessarily bad, but it was odd and I would really like to see the process of losing power and gaining memory drawn out a bit more so you could fit more stuff into a modern game with a single group of mummies. As I recall it felt like you'd get maybe a few months of actively doing stuff before you were too weak to function. I'd prefer the arc were more like Promethean, which also has a set end-point to aspire to but it's slower so there's a lot to do before you get there.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Mummy as I experienced it was really weird because it seemed like there was exactly one modern day chronicle you could run, which had a time limit, and then you're done and it's period flashbacks or nothing. That isn't necessarily bad, but it was odd and I would really like to see the process of losing power and gaining memory drawn out a bit more so you could fit more stuff into a modern game with a single group of mummies. As I recall it felt like you'd get maybe a few months of actively doing stuff before you were too weak to function. I'd prefer the arc were more like Promethean, which also has a set end-point to aspire to but it's slower so there's a lot to do before you get there.

On average, it's actually about two years. Can be much, much longer.

I thought the thing about Mummy 2e, where Duat is so divorced from Time that Mummies wake up out of chronological sequence so you can have, say, characters spend xp in the modern day then keep those raised traits in an "earlier" tier, was spoken about at GenCon? Certainly, I'd heard it, and I'm not working on the game.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

That's going to be one of the things that is going to change in 2e. In 2e, Mummies will be fully unmoored in time, so instead of having a fixed modern time frame that you flashback to and from, you're experience is jumbled up. Your character might arise in the middle ages, but remember 1970s New York for instance.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'd prefer the arc were more like Promethean, which also has a set end-point to aspire to but it's slower so there's a lot to do before you get there.

I think the concept of the Sothic Turn can be worked around for this with an extended period where the players are active, and then have them relive previous Descents as they gain Memory with the players shifting to play either themselves in the path or the roles of other important members of say, the Mummy's cult. This is how I ran the game myself, anyway.

The concept of making the Arisen the guardians and stewards of art kicks rear end and I can't believe I didn't think of that, makes the Guilds make a lot more sense, looking forward to that getting developed.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Dave Brookshaw posted:

On average, it's actually about two years. Can be much, much longer.

I thought the thing about Mummy 2e, where Duat is so divorced from Time that Mummies wake up out of chronological sequence so you can have, say, characters spend xp in the modern day then keep those raised traits in an "earlier" tier, was spoken about at GenCon? Certainly, I'd heard it, and I'm not working on the game.

That's confirmed in the Style Guide for Mummy that's on the Storyteller's Vault.

"Mummies in First Edition are grim servants of the Judges who are eventually clued into the idea of breaking free; Second Edition Arisen have the entirety of their existences stretched out before them, experiencing time and the great flow of humanity in a non-linear fashion. Second edition is more explicit about what first edition kept implicit: purpose of the Arisen is to shepherd human civilization into patterns of rise, imperial phase, and fall, both so that no empire will overshadow the first and that
the patterns of art conceived in Irem will continue to perpetuate. This in turn allows Sekhem, or cosmic creative energies, to flow into and empower relics, which are then sought out and sent down to feed the dark gods who created the mummies. Bereft of Memory, the mummies will continue this cycle for all eternity, unless they find a way to break it."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Octavo posted:

That's going to be one of the things that is going to change in 2e. In 2e, Mummies will be fully unmoored in time, so instead of having a fixed modern time frame that you flashback to and from, you're experience is jumbled up. Your character might arise in the middle ages, but remember 1970s New York for instance.

I'm not sure if I should reference A Kid in King Arthur's Court, Black Knight, or Arthur and the Knights of Justice...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

I genuinely really liked the core idea of Mummy: the Curse, and if it gets a treatment like Geist did to really firm it up, I think it could be excellent.

I'm excited to see what they might do to make it so you'd have a group of the splat working together, which did not seem to be the case in 1E.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They brought back V:tES but the place I used to play has closed down. :negative:

Come on, make a hearthstone clone that's just V:tES so I can play again!

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Ain't everybody goes to GenCon, and if whatever was shared at GenCon was then shared online, it wasn't where I was paying attention. I know I'm missing a lot of spoiler and preview information right now because it's being shared primarily in podcast form, and I don't really want to sit down and listen to Eddy and Matt and Dixie talk for an hour and a half every week to keep up with things.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 27, 2019

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

GNU Order posted:

Metaplot aside V5 is just a cleaner game design, and allows for more interesting stories to develop through the mechanics. Messy crits, stains, hunt archetypes, I think it tells a better game story than V20 when can get dragged down by mechanics in minute to minute play

I like the second inquisition and the clans shifting around, but yea I do like a lot of the streamlining down with combat as well as the revamp to a lot of the disciplines. The whole risk management with hunger VS v20's resource management with its blood pool is one of my favorite changes.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Dawgstar posted:

I'm excited to see what they might do to make it so you'd have a group of the splat working together, which did not seem to be the case in 1E.

In our game, we just had the two Arisen share the same cult even though they were from different guilds. Essentially, they were just two of many many sleeping corporate assets.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

From what I gather, Contagion means "This thing has enough metaphysical complexity to form occult matrices to the degree that bits of the God-Machine are caught in its orbit and it begins a feedback loop between itself and Infrastructure."

So, whether it's XCOM with Rakka aliens, zombies, a pandemic that hurts parahumans, the Prince Of A Hundred Thousand Leaves, or what have you, it's big enough to gently caress up the Machine in a way that it fights against.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some of the new V5 mechanics intrigue me, if I wasn't already running Requiem 2E I'd probably take a shot at creating a reverse "translation guide."

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Some of the new V5 mechanics intrigue me, if I wasn't already running Requiem 2E I'd probably take a shot at creating a reverse "translation guide."

It's worth giving a shot sometime. When it first came out I glossed over it and didn't think I could get into the changes (also the book is formatted/written terribly). But after actually running a few games I'm having a lot of fun and my players seem to be getting a kick out of it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Octavo posted:

That's confirmed in the Style Guide for Mummy that's on the Storyteller's Vault.

"Mummies in First Edition are grim servants of the Judges who are eventually clued into the idea of breaking free; Second Edition Arisen have the entirety of their existences stretched out before them, experiencing time and the great flow of humanity in a non-linear fashion. Second edition is more explicit about what first edition kept implicit: purpose of the Arisen is to shepherd human civilization into patterns of rise, imperial phase, and fall, both so that no empire will overshadow the first and that
the patterns of art conceived in Irem will continue to perpetuate. This in turn allows Sekhem, or cosmic creative energies, to flow into and empower relics, which are then sought out and sent down to feed the dark gods who created the mummies. Bereft of Memory, the mummies will continue this cycle for all eternity, unless they find a way to break it."

Lol being the avatar of Oswald Spengler does sound cool

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I read the first three posts and didn't see anything about it so I'm going to ask here.

Is there a good source for reading the batshit insane metaplot of the various Old World settings other than the full source books? Like a F&F only instead of delving into mechanics it covers the lore bits?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Can an Angel or Demons cover theoretically be another supernatural?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solus posted:

Can an Angel or Demons cover theoretically be another supernatural?

Yes. There is an Exploit that explicitly lets your cover be an Ephemeral Entity, and another that lets you replicate supernatural abilities. It's just difficult.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yes. There is an Exploit that explicitly lets your cover be an Ephemeral Entity, and another that lets you replicate supernatural abilities. It's just difficult.
Without that you don't get the "Mage" parts of the life of a Mage if you do a soul pact, right?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Zereth posted:

Without that you don't get the "Mage" parts of the life of a Mage if you do a soul pact, right?

What you get is a lot of agg damage and a Cover that is supposed to be able to do wizard magic but you can't actually do wizard magic.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mors Rattus posted:

What you get is a lot of agg damage and a Cover that is supposed to be able to do wizard magic but you can't actually do wizard magic.

Although at some point in my Mage campaign I think I'm going to include a demon, though the cabal covering for him introduces him as "an odd type of proximus, he just helps out around here sometimes".

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

bewilderment posted:

Although at some point in my Mage campaign I think I'm going to include a demon, though the cabal covering for him introduces him as "an odd type of proximus, he just helps out around here sometimes".

My God, a Demon even interacting with a Mage will tear it's cover in half. There's no way that whole cabal would not be researching everything they can about the Demon.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Show of Power lets you fake it pretty well. Not to mention you can continually bullshit new exploits to compensate for the lack of actual wizarding, also interlocks for the Demon that's reeaaallllllllly into mages.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Jade Mage posted:

My God, a Demon even interacting with a Mage will tear it's cover in half. There's no way that whole cabal would not be researching everything they can about the Demon.

Yeah but where'd be the fun in that?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Jade Mage posted:

Only if they have reason to doubt him. If anything, Mages are high risk, high reward, in their own weird way; if Mages find out who you are, they're going to destroy all your Covers trying to know more...but they have to actually give a poo poo about you first, and when dealing with Mages, I suspect it can be real easy to just let your Cover work once or twice, and then their complete apathy can do the rest.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

We ended up running into a mage (who's since become a recurring figure in our WoD games who's possibly immortal or else a Dread Pirate Roberts situation) during our Demon game and as I recall we managed to deliver one of those weird degraded / disconnected feral angels to him and an infernal reality-warping book in return for the promise of future contract work and no questions being asked. But dealing with mages is a bad idea for a demon, yes. Mages are just bad people to know.

I think we concluded that mages were superhuman, or "more human than human", and thus ineligible for pacts.* The fun thing about Demon is that there's essentially nothing you can't try. A thing in the setting is that the number 4 has mystical / gnostic significance to the God Machine's design and so there are four "interlocks" unique to each demon that are unlocked and power level gained when the right demonic power is tested against them (try the wrong one and you can, of course, blow your cover). But then there's a persistent conspiracy theory among demons that there's actually a fifth interlock with even greater power / possible freedom behind it. By the time you have unlocked four interlocks, you're at a power level where getting God scanned is much riskier than it was before, so demons who believe and pursue this tend to meet with very unfortunate ends.

So yeah, you can try to deal in mage souls, but your soul-pacting program will bluescreen and explode and the God Machine will probably nail your rear end to the ground you're standing on.

* You know actually, if mages aren't human then they wouldn't necessarily be a death sentence to cover if they found you out. If they discovered that regular humans gaining knowledge shreds cover, they could definitely use that as a really gnarly cudgel, but iirc the God Machine's surveillance is only plugged into regular human minds.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 28, 2019

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I thought I read that vampires can shred a demons cover by thoroughly investigating them with all their resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Twibbit posted:

I thought I read that vampires can shred a demons cover by thoroughly investigating them with all their resources

Anyone can do this, vamps just have more social resources usually because that's where they excel. Vampires are best at having mortal society twisted around their fingers. Mages can do some of that, but are always limited by Quiescence and Paradox, while bloodsuckers can have ghouls, toss dominate around, toss majesty around... and just be very old and very rich.