Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wark Say posted:

So that's a yes on the new Pig Destroyer, then? "Army of Cops" kinda left me lukewarm.

Head Cage was easily in my top 10 heavy albums of 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

XIII posted:

And there's a new single from Pig Destroyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdkkl8-q-Ms

Head Cage was one of my favs from last year, awesome to hear more from them already.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

XIII posted:

Head Cage was easily in my top 10 heavy albums of 2018
gently caress, then I'm down to grind with the Pig Destroyer. Goons both in the -core and Metal threads have yet to let me down wrt recommendations.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Eight Is Legend posted:

If you guys are down with a little nu-metal in your core, then Blood Youth released a pretty sick album a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NlX_c9f3E0

Getting Spineshank vibes, not bad

There's an "official video" for Hail to the Fire now (it's mostly like random concert footage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYPJPgo24-s

edit:lmfao this popped up in the suggested vids

Crystal Lake - Rollin' (Limp Bizkit Cover)

It's impressively awful lol, they've come a long way

Mackers fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 24, 2019

Parachute
May 18, 2003
that latest venom prison record fuckin kicks the door down

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Polaris put out a short Doc on the tour they did with Architects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXLshJ0_71Y

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

going to see dance gavin dance and veil of maya (and a bunch of lovely bands also playing) at swanfest this weekend and i'm pretty stoked. didn't realize dgd put out a new track recently and it's obviously great. still in shock that i like this band at all and kinda kicking myself for not paying attention earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdpnn45mir8

also bc i often come across like a lovely gatekeeper pls feel free to tell me to :frogout: due to inappropriate content

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

going to see dance gavin dance and veil of maya (and a bunch of lovely bands also playing) at swanfest this weekend and i'm pretty stoked. didn't realize dgd put out a new track recently and it's obviously great. still in shock that i like this band at all and kinda kicking myself for not paying attention earlier

also bc i often come across like a lovely gatekeeper pls feel free to tell me to :frogout: due to inappropriate content

DGD is great. You heard their album from last year, right? They completely fell off my radar after Downtown Battle Mountain II so I was pleasantly surprised to hear them on the radio again.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

DGD is great. You heard their album from last year, right? They completely fell off my radar after Downtown Battle Mountain II so I was pleasantly surprised to hear them on the radio again.

Mothership is legit one of my all-time favorite albums. I'm so glad I got to see them perform the whole thing live.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've never really listened to DGD much, but I'm probably gonna see 'em in a couple weeks. I'm mostly going for Don Broco, who don't fit this thread (but are great, for what they do), but DGD is one of those bands that I've been aware of for so long that I feel like I "should" see them at some point

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A friend once gave me poo poo for liking DGD but not Coheed and Cambria. It was like "But you're way into with Comics and Manga! And Prog Rock!"

And to this day, they still do nothing for me. :shrug:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

coheed only has one good fantastic album and it's the one that doesnt follow a rock opera story or whatever. the rest of them are super meh

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

coheed only has one good fantastic album and it's the one that doesnt follow a rock opera story or whatever. the rest of them are super meh

I think Good Apollo 4 is a fantastic album, and they usually have a few good songs on every other album they've put out.

Something about the songwriting in Good Apollo really clicks with me. It feels like Coheed and their most natural.

E: I know you're not talking about Good Apollo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I liked them a lot but the non-concept one and the newest concept one are just boring as hell to me.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Went to see Misery Signals on their tour with Unearth and Darkest Hour (how's that for blast from the past!) and they played a new song, said the album will be out in November. Wasn't blown away by the song but it's probably hard to stand up to some of the absolute masterpieces they were playing on that night. Sounded similar to the last two albums as fas as I could make out, although the change of singer is obviously going to be a bigger change when hearing it on record.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

very very jealous you got to go to that and stoked for new mis sig.

also - who knew that black tongue's album from last year is actually really tight? i love slowcore so anything that sounds like this usually does it for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJkPK34kkEE

sounds like they're trying to sound like deathcore behemoth and doing it really well as far as i'm concerned

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

elbkaida posted:

Went to see Misery Signals on their tour with Unearth and Darkest Hour (how's that for blast from the past!) and they played a new song, said the album will be out in November. Wasn't blown away by the song but it's probably hard to stand up to some of the absolute masterpieces they were playing on that night. Sounded similar to the last two albums as fas as I could make out, although the change of singer is obviously going to be a bigger change when hearing it on record.

God I hope they tour the US together at some point. What a killer lineup.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

also - who knew that black tongue's album from last year is actually really tight? i love slowcore so anything that sounds like this usually does it for me:

sounds like they're trying to sound like deathcore behemoth and doing it really well as far as i'm concerned

Huge fan of that Black Tongue album.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I know COB isn't well-liked ITT but I just realized the COB show next month is the same day as the Veil of Maya/Intervals show

Obv I'm going to the 2nd one but drat :(

e: gently caress, We Came As Romans/Erra is that day too, wtf!

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 29, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also :drat:

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

ShoogaSlim posted:

Black Tongue has become one of my favorite heavy bands. It took me a bit to get adjusted to the guitar tone on Nadir vs Unconquerable Dark, but it's grown on me and I think The Eternal Return to Ruin is just about as good of a first track as Plague Worship.

but gently caress indiemerchstore, ordered the Nadir vinyl preorder back in jan, supposed to ship by feb 27th, and its still just "processing" even though they got the test pressings back on feb 19th and said they were good...

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Johnny Booth! Why did no one tell me about these guys before? Their new album slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-UxBmTb4DI

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

Johnny Booth! Why did no one tell me about these guys before? Their new album slaps.

Hell yeah song owns

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

PaganGoatPants posted:

gently caress, this rules. I was sold on it in the first 10 seconds and it only got better from there. Hope the album's as good as this.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Slothful Bong posted:

but gently caress indiemerchstore, ordered the Nadir vinyl preorder back in jan, supposed to ship by feb 27th, and its still just "processing" even though they got the test pressings back on feb 19th and said they were good...

i really don't understand why a lot of labels these days are issuing vinyl way after the album drops. get your poo poo together my guys

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Why haven't we talked about the fact that Bury Your loving Dead dropped a new joint and it slaps incredibly hard??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awKk9fLM1oE

Goddamn I cannot wait for that album

2004 is back and I'm super into it

e: DL produced this but I think he may have done some writing too, this has old TAS style riffs all over the place

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

Why haven't we talked about the fact that Bury Your loving Dead dropped a new joint and it slaps incredibly hard??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awKk9fLM1oE

Goddamn I cannot wait for that album

2004 is back and I'm super into it

e: DL produced this but I think he may have done some writing too, this has old TAS riffs all over the place

poo poo! I saw that and have been listening to it quite a bit the last few days, but totally dropped the ball on posting it. I've never been over the moon about BYD (Cover Your Tracks and Beauty and the Breakdown being the two albums I'm semi familiar with), but this new track has me cautiously looking forward to the full album

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Definitely listen to You Had Me At Hello, wow you're in for an old timey mosh treat

That, Cover Your Tracks and Beauty are all real solid

I don't like any of their poo poo with that Myke guy at all

And their first record with Mat back (Mosh n Roll) was alright but not great. Collateral sounds much better than anything on there so I'm optimistic

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

poo poo, I just looked at my listening history and it looks like I've listened to It's Nothing Personal at least 13 times, despite having no memory of it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Mark Castillo, drummer of Bury Your Dead (who also drummed on BTBAM's Silent Circus) left BYD to play drums in radio rock band Crossfade for several years :barf:, and then played for Emmure :barf:, and now as of a few years ago is back in BYD

what a strange journey that is

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUfpQk84hZ0

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's pretty strange. The only "strange journey" musicians i can think of are Dave Knudsen who went from guitar in a math-metal band (Botch) to guitar in a pop-rock band (Minus the Bear) and Justin Meldal-Johnsen who went from playing bass for Beck to playing bass for Nine Inch Nails, then back to Beck

e: oh yeah and Skrillex used to front an emo band but that's just "bad music to bad music" so not much of a journey

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
James Bradley Jr went from playing drums for Chuck Mangione to playing drums in Crazytown. Nobody is gonna top that.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That's pretty strange. The only "strange journey" musicians i can think of are Dave Knudsen who went from guitar in a math-metal band (Botch) to guitar in a pop-rock band (Minus the Bear) and Justin Meldal-Johnsen who went from playing bass for Beck to playing bass for Nine Inch Nails, then back to Beck

e: oh yeah and Skrillex used to front an emo band but that's just "bad music to bad music" so not much of a journey

and then Spencer from Periphery replaced him for a record lmao

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

kumba posted:

and then Spencer from Periphery replaced him for a record lmao

wtffffff lol

e: :chanpop:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 29, 2019

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

This’ll always be a favorite

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

wtffffff lol

e: :chanpop:
Pay mind that this was after he had gotten into a slap-fight with Fred Durst via Myspace. It was embarrassing, and also highly entertaining to witness.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wark Say posted:

Pay mind that this was after he had gotten into a slap-fight with Fred Durst via Myspace. It was embarrassing, and also highly entertaining to witness.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

James Bradley Jr went from playing drums for Chuck Mangione to playing drums in Crazytown. Nobody is gonna top that.

Virtuoso drummer Terry Bozzio has played with Frank Zappa and Korn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
First off, sorry in advance Henchman, if this strays away from -core chat too much, but I'm playing at a wedding reception in a couple of hours and I have to deal with my stage fright in some manner, and posting/relating about stupid music poo poo is one of my primary ways of doing so (yes; a musician for almost 3 decades still suffers from stage fright; ain't that some poo poo?)

To make the long story short (MTV News has the long, boring, but oddly not as detailed version), Borland came off like a bitter rear end in a top hat weirdo that just wanted to stay as far the gently caress away from Durst as humanly possible. His posts were coming from an uncomfortable and angry place that made you feel for the 30 year old guy who played a 4-string guitar tuned funny for a song about "humblebragging wrt how you don't give a gently caress if you're being used as long as you get to have sex".

He was also the "sane man" in this whole thing because, if I learned anything from those days and basically following that whole poo poo-shower as it happened, is that you can level a number of accusations at Wes Borland and they may all be true... but compared to having to deal in any capacity outside of professional interests with William Fredrick Durst, even the guy in kooky getups and with the "bitter rear end in a top hat weirdo" posts is the sane man there.