Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

veni veni veni posted:

games I've wanted to try for a while, almost bought on sale, but looked too crappy to actually drop money on

This might be the best description of the kind of games that make for ideal PS+ monthly games. It's like the tier above "Games I think I'll never play" but below "Games I keep seeing on sale and if the price goes down by another 5 I'll take it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I had 2-3 days off of Sekiro and just booted it up. I was a little nervous but I went straight to the castle (new to me) and defeated that big loving BULL in one try.

hail satan

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. That fucker killed me like 10 times.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Finish the current job on Friday, have a few weeks of downtime before the next one so I’m gonna just devour Sekriro. It’s got me craving to play it like nothing since Bloodborne. I can’t wait to play it for ten hours a day.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think you might as well do Majima Saga as it unlocks. It’s a straight prequel and ends on kind of an underwhelming note compared to the main game finale.

Did you play Zero? Omg its perfect closure.

I agree play it as it unlocks tho. Majimas move set and animations are too limited to have to do all of it at once without being bored

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Nice. That fucker killed me like 10 times.

Apparently he cant hurt you if you stay on his left and use crackers to stop him from bolting

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I liked the Majima Saga stuff that related to Motoko, that was sweet. I just meant his final boss and gameplay in MS sucked rear end.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah the gameplay blows u watch that knife attack 1000 times

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Obviously they don’t have the money/time/inclination to make a full fledged Majima campaign but at least let me switch between the knife and the bat!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just add whatever form of estus, bonfires and exploration you want and I’ll take your game, FromSoft. It’s a perfect system.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rolo posted:

Just add whatever form of estus, bonfires and exploration you want and I’ll take your game, FromSoft. It’s a perfect system.

Rolo posted:

Just add whatever form of bloodvials, lamps and beasthunting you want and I’ll take your game, FromSoft. It’s a perfect system.

Rolo posted:

Just add whatever form of gourds, idols and grappling you want and I’ll take your game, FromSoft. It’s a perfect system.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah brother.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Please tell me there's a trophy in Yakuza 2 called "Leisure Suit Kiryu".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dying often to Bloodborne bosses wouldn’t be so bad if there wasn’t such a long walk of shame to get back for a rematch

Currently getting my rear end cut three ways by the Shadows of Yharnam

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 28, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

Dying often to Bloodborne bosses wouldn’t be so bad if there wasn’t such a long walk of shame to get back for a rematch

Currently getting my rear end cut three ways by the Shadows of Yharnam

You need to focus them down one at a time and just dodge the others. There's a specific/recommended order to do it in iirc.

I think the fire-caster is the one to start with, whether or not you want a hint.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The strategy I’m told is to knock them all down to 50% first, then knock off the fireball guy. Since they all mutate when one of them falls below 40% it leaves you with two guys with half their health

Edit: argh died when I had one dead, one down to 1hp and the other at 10%

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 28, 2019

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Re: Borderlands. I am hoping for a solid co-op game but fear it will be mmo game as a service bullshit.

Also the prequel was a lazy-as-it-gets designed world with way too much empty wastes that you had to ice skate through repeatedly. This doesn't bode well...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://mobile.twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/1111171579973521409

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

https://youtu.be/eaBUeINW_3s

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'm really interested what other Souls lovers have to say about The Surge. I tried both Lords of the Fallen and The Surge but dropped them a few hours in both. The worlds, bosses are just not interesting enough for me I think. I don't remember anything specific about combat so I guess it was OK?

Nioh on the other hand was great. I foolishly started it shortly after burning out on Dark Souls 3 and didn't finish it yet but I 100% intend to after I'm done with Sekiro. It was the first game where Soulslike was really not meant to say straight ripoff like Salt and Sanctuary or poorly made copycats like LOTF or The Surge (sorry!).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Whalley posted:

Oh that's actually awesome; I really enjoyed the demo for The Surge but keep missing it when it's on significant sale. I'm actually excited to pick up a PS+ game for the first time in a little while :hellyeah:

Chasing "balance" almost always removes the fun poo poo imo

There's different ways to do it

Street Fighter "Balances" the game by removing everything fun until everyone is the same boring, safe character

games like Guilty Gear used to balance one guy being able to reach across the whole screen and grab you by giving another guy traps he can lay on the screen while another guy was just 2 characters at once why not

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My ideal form of balance for competitive MP is.. you give at least everyone some incredibly bullshit thing, then do your best to evenly distribute the bullshit. Balance for single player games should not exist unless to fix some egregious error or make underpowered aspects more fun. Who cares if a solo player finds some creative way to break your game, they’re not hurting anybody and they paid for it already!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

My ideal form of balance for competitive MP is.. you give at least everyone some incredibly bullshit thing, then do your best to evenly distribute the bullshit. Balance for single player games should not exist unless to fix some egregious error or make underpowered aspects more fun. Who cares if a solo player finds some creative way to break your game, they’re not hurting anybody and they paid for it already!

:yeah:

Also why shoehorned pvp can have disastrous consequences

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When I was talking about Borderlands maybe being balanced this time I just meant 'enemies don't tear through your health like crepes and don't have basically auto aim the entire time.'

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RareAcumen posted:

When I was talking about Borderlands maybe being balanced this time I just meant 'enemies don't tear through your health like crepes and don't have basically auto aim the entire time.'

Characters are supposed to have multiple powers this time, so it's likely everyone gets defensive abilities

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

Characters are supposed to have multiple powers this time, so it's likely everyone gets defensive abilities

Maybe they'll make more than a handful out of their bazillion guns actually fun to use this time.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

lordfrikk posted:

I'm really interested what other Souls lovers have to say about The Surge. I tried both Lords of the Fallen and The Surge but dropped them a few hours in both. The worlds, bosses are just not interesting enough for me I think. I don't remember anything specific about combat so I guess it was OK?

Nioh on the other hand was great. I foolishly started it shortly after burning out on Dark Souls 3 and didn't finish it yet but I 100% intend to after I'm done with Sekiro. It was the first game where Soulslike was really not meant to say straight ripoff like Salt and Sanctuary or poorly made copycats like LOTF or The Surge (sorry!).

I really liked the surge until about the 3rd area where my interest fell off a cliff. Those jumping robot enemies didn’t help

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

lordfrikk posted:

I'm a Souls lover and I thought The Surge was great. It's a little clunky but not as bad as Lords of the Fallen. You've got five weapon types which have different move sets, and the only stat to raise is your core, which provides power to your rig and thus governs the level of equipment you can have. I went through most of the game going between twin swords and a massive axe. Defeating bosses will usually award you a weapon, and meeting a special condition during the fight gives you a better version of that weapon. If you're fighting a human that usually means engaging with the limb targeting system, weaking their weapon arm, and finally chopping it off. Seeing an enemy wear something you want and then cutting it off of them is how you gain most of the equipment in the game, and paired with The Surge's horizontal and vertical attack buttons means that there's some required thought about if you attack comes out on the right or the left, is a crushing blow from above or a sweep at the legs. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty fun, although the enemies - especially the non-human ones - will gently caress you up. I finished it and I thought the story and the experience was really good, so I recommend anyone interested check it out and really push through any immediate stumbling blocks because you'll be missing out on a great game if you don't.

I figure the PS+ version is just the base game, but the first DLC, the one with CREO World, is very good and I recommend it. I haven't gone back to play the Wild West one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nBvddxrltk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wanted to like The Surge, but the first boss is just an insurmountable, and frankly tedious, wall for me with how much HP it had and its ability to casually instakill you.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I just bought Outward.

I am into european expansive RPG with lots of subsystems to simulate a world. Watching streams just now, seems is going to be fun.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I like a lot about Sekiro but I can't deny that I miss experimenting with all the different weapon types in Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wanted to like The Surge, but the first boss is just an insurmountable, and frankly tedious, wall for me with how much HP it had and its ability to casually instakill you.

The HP is actually very misleading, once you take out the first chunk, the later ones fall away much faster. It still took me absolutely ages to beat.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

I like a lot about Sekiro but I can't deny that I miss experimenting with all the different weapon types in Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

Good news, you can experiment with all the different prosthetics!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Good news, you can experiment with all the different prosthetics!

I've only found the shuriken one so far. My friend texted me something about a fire one? But I guess I missed it because I'm farther than he is and haven't seen that./

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PantsBandit posted:

I've only found the shuriken one so far. My friend texted me something about a fire one? But I guess I missed it because I'm farther than he is and haven't seen that./

There’s not only a whole bunch, they all get upgrades and specializations later on too. The fire one is in a bonfire early on in the flashback area, so it’s not hard to go back for.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play

Dewgy posted:

There’s not only a whole bunch, they all get upgrades and specializations later on too. The fire one is in a bonfire early on in the flashback area, so it’s not hard to go back for.

In addition to this:

The axe is in a nearby shrine too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dreams is hitting Early Access on April 16 for only $30

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

I just bought Outward.

I am into european expansive RPG with lots of subsystems to simulate a world. Watching streams just now, seems is going to be fun.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing what you think. I am also a fan of the genre and would like to get lost in a big expansive RPG.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dreams is hitting Early Access on April 16 for only $30

Looks neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I got through the entire tutorial series for Dreams (I got into the beta) only to realize after several hours that I haven't got a creative bone in my body.