Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Chichevache posted:

Sir, that barrel of fish has no water in it.

Edit

Holy crap. No results when I googled "barrel of fish tattoo". Someone should rectify that.

I’m tempted, if I could find someone who could do a decent Sailor Jerry style on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I’m tempted, if I could find someone who could do a decent Sailor Jerry style on that.

I'm getting 2 joke tattoos in a couple of weeks or I'd volunteer.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Chichevache posted:

2 joke tattoos

Ugh, CBS sitcoms are the worst

Chichevache posted:

I missed it. Got a link?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772428&userid=158851&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post491815305

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

whypick1 posted:

Well I found myself in San Antonio in this week and had some available real estate...

Thanks Toast!

(The shine is from the tatuderm since we kinda forgot to take any pictures before putting it on)

Hahaha. I love this. Nice stuff.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

I hate it and I can't really put into words why exactly.

The colors are muddy and ugly
The text has bad kerning on the last line
Bad idea and poor execution

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That's excellent. I must've seen that same original post way back when because I've had it in my mind for a while now to get almost that same thing. Well done.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

I hate it and I can't really put into words why exactly.

The colors are muddy and ugly
The text has bad kerning on the last line
Bad idea and poor execution

I think this is the opposite of "can't really put into words why"

edit: here's some content - a very lovely cover up on someone who should be able to afford better

whypick1 has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Mar 27, 2019

mick ohio
Sep 24, 2007

So I says to Mabel, I says...

Speaking of bad cover ups... I've been waiting to see if this video would show up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3SZj1bxkTI

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

whypick1 posted:

I think this is the opposite of "can't really put into words why"

edit: here's some content - a very lovely cover up on someone who should be able to afford better

“Penrose stairs-rear end dice” is an absolutely lovely phrase, and exactly right for that botch job.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

mick ohio posted:

Speaking of bad cover ups... I've been waiting to see if this video would show up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3SZj1bxkTI

Anyone want to screenshot spoil the results please?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

IUG posted:

Anyone want to screenshot spoil the results please?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hey it's a tattoo that displays her undying love of black boxes, ok?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm the lopsided little diamond at the bottom.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
None of these wusses wanna put in the time/money/pain to get some laser removal, lighten up their old poo poo and get an actually decent cover up and it annoys the piss out of me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't even think you'd need to lighten up that tattoo much, you could easily come up with a design that covers with without a giant fuckoff black box. I don't know why you'd want this as your cover-up unless the original was like the American History X swastika

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
As a non-tattoo haver, I have a question. In a scenario like this, where having straight lines would be really important to the design, would a straight edge or ruler ever get employed? I understand that a piece of paper and living breathing people are two very different things, and a pencil and a tattoo gun are also very different tools, but can't they use something? Bandages or tape or just anything that can guide? Or are good artists just that good that they can freehand?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I've had artists do perfect straight lines on me but they've been tattooing along the purple ink lines of the design they put on first. Usually good artists can make a nice line. Never seen one use a ruler. But I mean, they're artists. As long as you have a good artist the tattoo will turn out good. lovely artist, shittier lines.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Any sort of ruler or guide would probably be another thing that would have to be sterilized/be disposable, so that's a knock against them.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

old man yells at cloud

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CzarChasm posted:

As a non-tattoo haver, I have a question. In a scenario like this, where having straight lines would be really important to the design, would a straight edge or ruler ever get employed? I understand that a piece of paper and living breathing people are two very different things, and a pencil and a tattoo gun are also very different tools, but can't they use something? Bandages or tape or just anything that can guide? Or are good artists just that good that they can freehand?

No, because bodies have curves and lumps that would make a straight edge useless in most cases; most artists would just use a stencil. As for really good ones, there are artists that can freehand a perfect circle; it just takes a lot of practice.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
https://www.instagram.com/criminal.poke/p/BvtgvrdFvrK/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=10wmul701yuyh

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Obviously one of those rubber prop knives.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

I think this is a major misconception that the non/lightly tattooed have. Tattoos are not like a traditional drawing, for the reasons others have mentioned, but it's also an art, not drafting. Artists can draw straight lines. Getting a tattoo that relies on long straight lines, is about as logical as a color realistic, non-outline tattoo. Just because you can tattoo in that manner doesn't mean it's the fundamentally best way to tattoo an image.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

The coloring annoys the hell out of me on this thing. I also looks like they tattooed over the leg hair?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

CeramicPig posted:

The coloring annoys the hell out of me on this thing. I also looks like they tattooed over the leg hair?

Paint.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Is 32 too late to get a tattoo?

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
If you get 32 at once you can make up for lost time

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

gently caress no. I got my first at 29, but I'm sure others in this thread got their first later than that.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

If you get 32 at once you can make up for lost time

I like your thinking.

whypick1 has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Apr 3, 2019

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Palemdromes posted:

If that's a real question, my mother is 60 and just got a bunch of flash done

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Palemdromes posted:

Yes, go away grandpa. You're ruining our chill vibes.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I just put down a deposit for my first tattoo and I'm 35, and I'm glad I waited 'cause a few years ago it would have been a dumb looking snake or some MarioKart poo poo

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Palemdromes posted:

Give yourself another 10 years and ask again.

The answer will be do whatever the gently caress you want

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

But what do you even get at that point. If I felt strongly enough about something that I’d get it as a tattoo, I’d have gotten it years ago. But an Andrew Bird or Against Me! tattoo seems pretty lame these days, so I’m glad I didn’t get one when I cared about stuff. Obviously the answer is who cares, but I just had some 20s people tell me I should follow my heart and it’s making me question my life long dedication to not getting a tattoo.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Find an artist who does rad art and let them do art on you.

It doesn't need to be meaningful, it can just Be Good Art.

If you want to want a tattoo, go read the entirety of the good tattoo thread in YLLS (or at least look at all the artists linked in the OP).

Start thinking about tattoos as art, not as the equivalent of a band tee or brand sticker that you slap on so other people know what things you like.

E: like, I would kill to get something by Toni Donaire, and any meaning to the piece would just be a bonus.

HazCat has a new favorite as of 06:58 on Apr 3, 2019

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Palemdromes posted:

But what do you even get at that point. If I felt strongly enough about something that I’d get it as a tattoo, I’d have gotten it years ago. But an Andrew Bird or Against Me! tattoo seems pretty lame these days, so I’m glad I didn’t get one when I cared about stuff. Obviously the answer is who cares, but I just had some 20s people tell me I should follow my heart and it’s making me question my life long dedication to not getting a tattoo.

Do you really think everything in your life that will have meaning will be known to you by your mid 20s?

I got news about getting older for you, son.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Tattoos dont have to be anything meaningful, you just have to enjoy them. I have some inked in proof of poor decision making and recklessness. So? I wanted them, I got them, now I have cool stories.

Get whatever you want, just get it good quality. I would bet everyone in this thread that has more than 3 tattoos probably has one they cringe at now that they are distanced from the moment. It's part of the charm.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Doctor Zero posted:

Do you really think everything in your life that will have meaning will be known to you by your mid 20s?

I got news about getting older for you, son.

My point is more that anything meaningful to me at any stage of life is subject to regret and ridicule later on

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Palemdromes posted:

My point is more that anything meaningful to me at any stage of life is subject to regret and ridicule later on

Just look at it this way, you're (probably) mature enough to get your first tattoo and not regret it. I wish 18 year old me didn't pick those cool flames off the wall, but hey, at least they're not on my wrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Just look at it this way, you're (probably) mature enough to get your first tattoo and not regret it. I wish 18 year old me didn't pick those cool flames off the wall, but hey, at least they're not on my wrist.

I feel like you need to have had that moment when you’re younger, where you get a dumb tattoo and realize that nothing you do to your lovely skin matters since you already ruined it, and waiting until you’re “mature” enough to get one just ensures you’re smart and experienced enough to know it’s a bad idea all around. I feel like I’ve missed that point of no return and now I can’t really get back there even if I might want to.