Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's DC. When are they Heroes?

1938 - 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Today's Heroes In Crisis title page by Clay Mann.

The outlined rose wrecks it a little, but it was a featured object on the previous page.

Spoil it for me. What's the significance of the rose?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Because it reminds me of this scene from Transformers 'More Than Meets The Eye' where they arrive on a planet where someone has planted a flower for everyone a Transformer has killed, irrespective of them being Autobot or Decepticon.

Some have a handful of flowers, some have a lot, then you get to this scene of Megatron

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Spoil it for me. What's the significance of the rose?

The series is about a massacre occurring at a place the Justice League set up to serve as PTSD therapy for the superhero/villain world. Poison Ivy (among others) died. Wally West is somehow involved (in what way and why is the mystery of the series.)
Harley Quinn had thrown a rose off of a bridge in remembrance. Wally picked it up, plants it here and is about to work speed force magic on it to grow Ivy back to life.
She comes back all biologically planty, so is probably more like Swamp Thing now.

edit: The rest of the flowers probably aren't significant beyond being there for a neat looking title spread.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 29, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

The series is about a massacre occurring at a place the Justice League set up to serve as PTSD therapy for the superhero/villain world. Poison Ivy (among others) died. Wally West is somehow involved (in what way and why is the mystery of the series.)
Harley Quinn had thrown a rose off of a bridge in remembrance. Wally picked it up, plants it here and is about to work speed force magic on it to grow Ivy back to life.
She comes back all biologically planty, so is probably more like Swamp Thing now.

edit: The rest of the flowers probably aren't significant beyond being there for a neat looking title spread.

I'd love a good series about heroes and villains attending therapy. I'm not sure who youd get to write something like that. But it could be a awesome examination of comic book characters motivations and stuff.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

That spoiler text sounds like an interesting direction. Is it actually interesting, or should I just assume DC will/has already hosed it up in the usual DC fashion?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Because it reminds me of this scene from Transformers 'More Than Meets The Eye' where they arrive on a planet where someone has planted a flower for everyone a Transformer has killed, irrespective of them being Autobot or Decepticon.

Some have a handful of flowers, some have a lot, then you get to this scene of Megatron

I always like to point out that the flowers are the photonegative of poppies.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd love a good series about heroes and villains attending therapy. I'm not sure who you'd get to write something like that. But it could be a awesome examination of comic book characters motivations and stuff.

1993's Peter David?

or more famously:

otherwise Tom King, I guess, but I hear he sucks now.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd love a good series about heroes and villains attending therapy. I'm not sure who youd get to write something like that. But it could be a awesome examination of comic book characters motivations and stuff.

You'd like this week's episode of Doom Patrol I think.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This is really really bad

but I can't believe I never noticed the obvious Photoshop error on the head. Seriously, it's an exact clone

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

This is really really bad

but I can't believe I never noticed the obvious Photoshop error on the head. Seriously, it's an exact clone

But it seems like it didn't ship with that error...?

This is worse IMO.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But it seems like it didn't ship with that error...?

Huh...wonder where it came from? Was it submitted like that because man that's just awful and lazy.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is worse IMO.

I'm pretty sure that most professional artists would have a hard time producing covers this unpleasant to look at if they tried.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh...wonder where it came from? Was it submitted like that because man that's just awful and lazy.

No idea. My best guess is the photoshopped version was made by someone else after the fact, but has been shared as the original cover often because people just grabbed the first thing that came up on google image search without looking closely at it.

Walrus Pete posted:

I'm pretty sure that most professional artists would have a hard time producing covers this unpleasant to look at if they tried.

Miller has a free pass to no longer try, and he is cashing it hard.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No idea. My best guess is the photoshopped version was made by someone else after the fact, but has been shared as the original cover often because people just grabbed the first thing that came up on google image search without looking closely at it.

I like to think that Miller was just so drunk and lazy that it went out like that before reviewers noticed it.

The places I've seen it were on review sites that came out when the book did. Not sure who would bother photoshopping that particular weirdness into it or loving it with it like that since the art itself is perfectly lovely on its own.

Plus, pretty sure that's from a layered image since the clone tool alone wouldn't create that mistake unless you magic wanded the blue background and the type.

I'm over thinking this.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah it's pretty bizarre. Regardless, I can find photos of physical printed versions of the issue that don't have the error. Maybe a marketing person messed up when sending out promo images and grabbed the wrong one? Hard to say, but I doubt you can blame Miller as the computer part of the drawing is not his part.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah it's pretty bizarre. Regardless, I can find photos of physical printed versions of the issue that don't have the error. Maybe a marketing person messed up when sending out promo images and grabbed the wrong one? Hard to say, but I doubt you can blame Miller as the computer part of the drawing is not his part.

I seem to remember that hosed up photoshop version appearing on these forums (to much mockery) well before the book shipped, so I think you're right about it being a pre-release promo image. I could be misremembering though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What were contemporaneous reviews of those like? How did people respond?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

The covers or the book itself? Miller didn't do the interior art. Adam Kubert sort of aped his style from DK1 adn I thought did a pretty good job. I've read and seen worse and it was miles better than DK2 and I remember it being fairly well received. The covers Miller did were mocked and poo poo on pretty heavily.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Bewilderment. Disbelief. Lots of "Frank Miller has completely lost his poo poo."

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I remember at least one "they're not awful, just coloured unsympathetically" blogpost, with some kinda convincing attempts of their own.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I remember at least one "they're not awful, just coloured unsympathetically" blogpost, with some kinda convincing attempts of their own.

Nah, they still sucked.

EDIT:Wrong link. RottenRedRod posted the one I meant to

I mean, I guess a more abstract, stylized approach draws some attention away from the total lack of draftsmanship and structure but it's still ugly. Miller was always sort of fast and loose with anatomy and rendering but I'll defend his work on DD, Sin City and Ronin. His strength used to be in his phenomenal storytelling ability, pacing and page layout but now he even sucks at that.

I defy anyone to look at DK2 and tell me wtf is going on any random page.

Lynn Varley used to be a damned good colorist too who brought a lot to the game but she never should have been shown Photoshop.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 2, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Are we talking about DK2 or DK3? Because I (and a fair number of people) will rep for DK2, but I think the DK3 Likers are a very small, very quiet group.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DK2 is the one actually drawn by Miller (aside from DK3's covers), so it's pretty safe to assume that's the topic if we're just talking art.

And yeah DK2's art is just loving visual noise. I guess I can understand why some people liked it - it was pretty experimental in ways it used coloring and backgrounds, but I feel like most of the responsibility for that doesn't lie with Miller. It seems like it came out of necessity from him phoning it in hard.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 2, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Are we talking about DK2 or DK3? Because I (and a fair number of people) will rep for DK2, but I think the DK3 Likers are a very small, very quiet group.

I was responding to the guy who asked about DK3 and how it was received. I liked it ok and thought did Kubert did a good job emulating the style of TDKR (which I think is great and has awesome art).

I've never met anyone who liked TDKSB (DK2) from an artistic or any other standpoint so I'd be curious to read any defense of it. I guess since this is the art thread we can limit it to that but I'd be interested in reading any reasons why people liked any of it.

I think it was one of the worst (and ugliest) comics I've ever read.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

I've never met anyone who liked TDKSB (DK2) from an artistic or any other standpoint so I'd be curious to read any defense of it. I guess since this is the art thread we can limit it to that but I'd be interested in reading any reasons why people liked any of it.

James Harvey had a really great blog post that put forth an argument that the primary issue with Miller's modern work is that the coloring techniques used are totally unsuited to it.

Sadly the post was lost in the Great Tumblr Purge, but I grabbed a few of James Harvey's example recolors in a more pop-art style:

It's an interesting experiment, and it DOES improve the art, but I still don't think modern-day Miller is good. But the coloring chosen is, indeed, making it worse.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

James Harvey had a really great blog post that put forth an argument that the primary issue with Miller's modern work is that the coloring techniques used are totally unsuited to it.

Sadly the post was lost in the Great Tumblr Purge, but I grabbed a few of James Harvey's example recolors in a more pop-art style:

It's an interesting experiment, and it DOES improve the art, but I still don't think modern-day Miller is good. But the coloring chosen is, indeed, making it worse.

That's the link I meant to post a few comments up. I guess it's broken.

And, yeah, it's slightly better but I don't think it makes a solid case that the coloring is really the issue. I don't even mind stylized, loose or exaggerated comic art but this poo poo just doesn't work. Miller used to actually be pretty good at all those things but I swear to god now he just draws drunk and never does anything past a first draft. Worst part is that he's not even a coherent storyteller anymore and that was always his biggest strength.

Some of his Daredevil work read like you were watching a movie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Miller did do interiors for backup bonus comics in the series.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah pretty much. If he was just making pop art, I might be more on board, but as comic art it just comes off as half baked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MangaMaterials/status/1113827883632316416

We have to find a way to get this to Liefield

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No, Liefeld should make his own version, but it's just a tutorial on how to draw ankle-high rocks, dust, and mist

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No, Liefeld should make his own version, but it's just a tutorial on how to draw ankle-high rocks, dust, and mist

It's the same tutorial image but there's just other characters strategically posed in front of each foot.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://mangadex.org/title/17291/red

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Random art from stuff I’ve been reading lately:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Jack, I think you might be slightly off-model."

(Alternate joke: a panel from the short but critically acclaimed Fantastic Four run of Pablo Picasso.)

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Jordan7hm posted:

Random art from stuff I’ve been reading lately:

I definitely recall Melting Pot, interesting mix with Eastman and Biz. The Spider-Man Hooky graphic novel was a favorite read as a youngun, Bernie Wrightson illustrates the most bitchin' monsters. However, the wizard girl who was supposed to be like 15 (?) in it was drawn very inconsistently. In one panel she'd look like a teenager and in the next she'd look like modern-day Martina Navratilova.

I seem to recall reading Dave Sim talking about watching Wrightson's inking style with a brush; according to Sim, Bernie would dip the brush in ink, roll it on a paper towel or cloth or something to hone it to the finest point, make a single brush stroke, then dip and repeat. I am unsure whether that's true but DS said that he'd be a giant ball of nerves and agitation if forced to work in that style.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/70sscifiart/status/1128691821717139457

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Holy moly this Bissette work is ridiculous. Pulled screencaps from a cartoonist kayfabe video on Sojourn, the broadsheet comic where these things showed up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Crossposting

Sharkopath posted:

Heres a cool sequence from the color out of space, instead of being rigid almost everything is fluid except the environment

Series is HP Lovecraft's - The Colour Out Of Space

Artist has appeared to adapt a whole bunch of Lovecraft into manga form

Whole series is loving gorgeous