Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HIJK posted:

yeah, that’s why he was kicked, so the toothache is gone :shrug:

which goon was he going after?

Who cares? The guy’s been hounded enough already. Why are you going to the mat for a gaslighting stalker who cites sex offenders and calls people pedophiles when he starts losing arguments?

For gently caress’s sake, it’s a thread for a TV show about rich as gently caress cartoon ducks, why are we still talking about one miserable dink who’s been gone for nearly a week now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

nine-gear crow posted:

Who cares? The guy’s been hounded enough already. Why are you going to the mat for a gaslighting stalker who cites sex offenders and calls people pedophiles when he starts losing arguments?

For gently caress’s sake, it’s a thread for a TV show about rich as gently caress cartoon ducks, why are we still talking about one miserable dink who’s been gone for nearly a week now?

What are you talking about? I’m perfectly happy he’s gone, like I said, he was annoying, and I certainly don’t want to bring him back. Why are you acting like I ever said any of that? The only thing I was commenting on was that he was generally a pretty mild troll at least in this thread. I guess if saying “he was a mild troll but he’s gone so now the annoying poster is gone which is good” is “going to the mat” for him then whoops ya caught me.

The only reason I brought it up is because I noticed the new posts made in the thread talking about him.

Are you sure you’re reading my posts correctly?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

HIJK posted:

What are you talking about? I’m perfectly happy he’s gone, like I said, he was annoying, and I certainly don’t want to bring him back. Why are you acting like I ever said any of that? The only thing I was commenting on was that he was generally a pretty mild troll at least in this thread. I guess if saying “he was a mild troll but he’s gone so now the annoying poster is gone which is good” is “going to the mat” for him then whoops ya caught me.

The only reason I brought it up is because I noticed the new posts made in the thread talking about him.

Are you sure you’re reading my posts correctly?

Apparently BotL had a little fanbase in TBB and CD who were vocally decrying BotL's banning "for having different opinions" before the revelations about the stalking came out. I'm guessing nine-gear-crow was reading you as one of those types because your initial post on the subject read very much like the ones defending BotL in the now-closed QCS mod feedback thread.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I finally watched the special and I kinda cried a bit.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/FrankAngones/status/1110740868607021061

Damnit.

Don't Leave Lena dead!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Still too soon

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Lena's a Stand now, she needs to change her name to something like Fleetwood Quack.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

kefkafloyd posted:

Lena's a Stand now, she needs to change her name to something like Fleetwood Quack.

This is my Stand, [ DUCK DUNN ].

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

I've been rewatching Darkwing to refresh my memories of that show. (last saw it like during it's first run. I've been nabbing the comics each time I see them in the dollar bins, etc at comic shops.). The direction I -wish- that could have been gone was to have her play the role of "raven"-type in the "Justice Ducks". Not sure if that would take away from Morganna orr not though.

Would she fit in with being a Stevie Nicks duck? lol. Felt she was far more of a scene kid.

I'm insanely curious btw, how a Darkwing reboot would look. The orignal show is quite good but it existed in a pre-Batman TAS world. I see a lot of promise in the villains, gossalyn and darkwing himself within the show. Not to mention giving Jim Cummings more work is always a positive.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm insanely curious btw, how a Darkwing reboot would look. The orignal show is quite good but it existed in a pre-Batman TAS world. I see a lot of promise in the villains, gossalyn and darkwing himself within the show. Not to mention giving Jim Cummings more work is always a positive.

Wow I did not know the Darkwing predated Batman: TAS. That's amazing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The video game was literally Megaman, and was on the NES so, yeah.

The more important question I have is how long after DuckTales ended was it when Quack Pack premiered?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Some Numbers posted:

Wow I did not know the Darkwing predated Batman: TAS. That's amazing.

They were contemporaries, DW started in 91, B:TAS in 1992. Even then, DW took quite a bit from the Tim Burton Batman.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Funky Valentine posted:

This is my Stand, [ DUCK DUNN ].

DuckTales, wo~~~u
Not "pony tails" or "cotton tails"
But...DuckTales.
I'm sure of it!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

They were contemporaries, DW started in 91, B:TAS in 1992. Even then, DW took quite a bit from the Tim Burton Batman.

They really did. Lot of the backgrounds in that show have that feel. Took a lot from "The Shadow", etc. Mixed in a bit with the Tex Avery/WB standards as well.

It is why I wonder how a reboot would indeed look considering how unique the show was for it's time and how many different "groundbreaking" cartoons came after it.

There's a small joke in one of the episodes I watched where a "TV Exec." and Gossalyn Mallard break the 4th wall. Gossalyn suggests doing a spin off of her character with a new show. This is responded negatively by the TV Exec telling Goz that "No one would watch that" or something to that effect. (Gossalyn then pretty much looks like she's about to throw down and rightfully so!)

This amuses me to no end NOW considering how DT 17 and programs like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, etc are now written.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1110361756520472576

It'd definitely be weird, since originally Darkwing Duck was a play off of the Batman movies, and it was a thing back then where you could just do a fun little parody series of a big media property, but now it'd implicitly have to play off of the marvel movies because Disney owns half of everything and likes to keep things in-house, but the marvel movies lack the seriousness of the Batman films to play off of.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

It'd definitely be weird, since originally Darkwing Duck was a play off of the Batman movies, and it was a thing back then where you could just do a fun little parody series of a big media property, but now it'd implicitly have to play off of the marvel movies because Disney owns half of everything and likes to keep things in-house, but the marvel movies lack the seriousness of the Batman films to play off of.
https://www.twitter.com/americanninjax/status/1110377061980360705

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm sure there could be a way of doing it. I see a lot of potential in the "Justice Ducks" concept for example (an idea for a show that was proposed along side Darkwing that sadly never took off). You have Storkules, Gizmoduck, etc already established. You could even re-introduce Morgana as someone to take on Magica now.

I see just a lot of potential fun windows that this remake has opened up. The question would be is if "The Mouse" is interested in pursuing them as much as the fans and people involved with the show are.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

SlothfulCobra posted:

DW is part Batman, part James Bond pastiche, just like DuckTales was riding high off of Indiana Jones (which itself was referencing Barks). I'm sure they could make it work. Whether or not someone wants to spend money on it is another problem.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'd watch a Zack Snyder-inspired Darkwing Duck.

Or if Zack wanted to do something like that himself that's cool too

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Darkwing already had a Dark Knight Returns parody where he thought he lost Goslin and then became so tough on crime that he made his city into a surveilance state, shot people for jaywalking, and beat them up for not eating vegetables.

Also the Boom Studios comics were actually pretty funny, mostly.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Darkwing already had a Dark Knight Returns parody where he thought he lost Goslin and then became so tough on crime that he made his city into a surveilance state, shot people for jaywalking, and beat them up for not eating vegetables.

What episode / issue was this?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Also the Boom Studios comics were actually pretty funny, mostly.

And then the comics made it even darker by revealing that throughout the multiverse that the Canon Darkwing was the only version not to have lost their Gosalyn

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

What episode / issue was this?

I have yet to read the comics (namely due to wanting to be sure I'm refreshed with the universe created within the tv show again)

I do know that "Time and Punishment" has a plot similiar to that but I got much more of a Judge Dredd vibe off of that episode.

Killing me to not have even read the comics....yet btw. Even the covers are beyond enthralling. I have a stack of 'em ready to go when I'm finally caught up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still want Darkwing to show up with Gosalyn mostly for Gosalyn to be an even worse influence on Webby than Lena was.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I want Darkwing to have been fictionalized in that universe but for Gosalyn to have used it as inspiration to be a real superhero with her dad's help.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I'm pretty sure it's gonna turn out the Darkwing Duck "show" was filming DW's real exploits, and him "doing his own stunts" was just him tending to crash and burn like Darkwing is wont to do in a fight.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Nodosaur posted:

I'm pretty sure it's gonna turn out the Darkwing Duck "show" was filming DW's real exploits, and him "doing his own stunts" was just him tending to crash and burn like Darkwing is wont to do in a fight.

I'm expecting something more Three Amigos style.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I can't remember, was Launchpad actually capable on the old DW show? I seem to remember him playing more of the straight man, but then DW bungles things up.

I just hope they never show or follow Launchpad's current epic side-adventures.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

RandomPauI posted:

I want Darkwing to have been fictionalized in that universe but for Gosalyn to have used it as inspiration to be a real superhero with her dad's help.

Kinda like a Duck-KickAss?

I just want a new TaleSpin in this universe, whether it's set as a contemporary or it's in the past. 1930s political TaleSpin would be really fun if they went further than the original show.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MichiganCubbie posted:

I just want a new TaleSpin in this universe, whether it's set as a contemporary or it's in the past. 1930s political TaleSpin would be really fun if they went further than the original show.

Some (INSANELY TALENTED) twitter/tumblr artist pitched a 70s reboot concept of it

https://twitter.com/lcarreradesign/status/1028124974987575296

https://twitter.com/lcarreradesign/status/931806283128299520

Though they keep teasing Cape Suzette at every turn in the modern sense. So...I wonder if that will be where it's set.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

MichiganCubbie posted:

Man, I'd love a classic TaleSpin reboot, but on reflection you'd have a real tough time trying to get Disney to sign off on a show that has straight-up dogfights with machine guns and anti-aircraft artillery firing everywhere, and the animated dogfights were one of the most appealing and memorable elements of the original show (To me when I was watching as a kid, anyway :v:)

...On even further reflection, what I actually want is just a new Crimson Skies, but unfortunately that probably has even less of a chance of happening.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

...On even further reflection, what I actually want is just a new Crimson Skies, but unfortunately that probably has even less of a chance of happening.

Buddy, I've been waiting 16 years for another Rogue Squadron. Flightsim games are a dying breed.

I guess it's probably for the best that kids' cartoons have been pretty heavily demilitarized from how they used to be. Batman the Animated series was probably the last cartoon to have realistic guns. Ever since then they've just had futuristic space lasers.

OK KO had a really good gun control PSA.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

tribbledirigible posted:

I can't remember, was Launchpad actually capable on the old DW show? I seem to remember him playing more of the straight man, but then DW bungles things up.

I just hope they never show or follow Launchpad's current epic side-adventures.

In general, Launchpad was more stupid on Darkwing Duck than on OG DuckTales, but a better pilot.

On the other hand, Darkwing Duck Launchpad was apparently running his own mechanic shop, and built the Thunderquack himself, before he'd even met Darkwing.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 30, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

SlothfulCobra posted:

Buddy, I've been waiting 16 years for another Rogue Squadron. Flightsim games are a dying breed.

Man, you and me both. :smith::hf::smith:

e: At least we got another Ace Combat! It's probably too much to hope that AC7's success might spur a revitalization of the genre, but man that'd be nice to see.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

maltesh posted:

In general, Launchpad was more stupid on Darkwing Duck than on OG DuckTales, but a better pilot.

On the other hand, Darkwing Duck Launchpad was apparently running his own mechanic shop, and built the Thunderquack himself, before he'd even met Darkwing.

It funnily enough makes a bit of sense for Launchpad to improve in that department even after his concussions start to pile up. (it was only hinted that he used to work for Scrooge in DD) Especially since he no longer has an employer with an unlimited budget for repairs and replacements.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MichiganCubbie posted:

They already brought back Don Karnage a while back so it's possible that more TaleSpin characters might show up in the future.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Having now just seen "Whatever happened to Della Duck"? (Basically I like saving new episodes as little "gifts" to watch when I want to).

I do have a semi-rhetorical question to ask.

Why is this show so good? In theory I should be nowhere near the target demo for it and I would be far more interested in a drama or comedy (or both in the case of "BoJack Horseman").

Yet the animation is great, The voice actors do amazing work and there seems to be this insane amount of care towards the source material. I know it's a "kids show" but it doesn't so much feel like that.

Is this more of a trend that animation is going towards? I must say I rather like it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Having now just seen "Whatever happened to Della Duck"? (Basically I like saving new episodes as little "gifts" to watch when I want to).

I do have a semi-rhetorical question to ask.

Why is this show so good? In theory I should be nowhere near the target demo for it and I would be far more interested in a drama or comedy (or both in the case of "BoJack Horseman").

Yet the animation is great, The voice actors do amazing work and there seems to be this insane amount of care towards the source material. I know it's a "kids show" but it doesn't so much feel like that.

Is this more of a trend that animation is going towards? I must say I rather like it.

Seems to be, yeah. I doubt it will become the standard because it takes a ton of work writing stuff this intricate, I think of it as prestige cable dramas but of kids shows. If you haven't yet, I suggest you check out Gravity Falls, where my AV comes from. As I understand it, a lot of the people who work on Ducktales worked on Gravity Falls first, and it has a very similar sort of feel.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

In a nutshell, yeah. Adventure Time was the big success that really convinced companies that it was worth it to make cartoons with an older audience, although you can really trace the trend back to Flapjack, which had a pretty spectacular crew that went on to make half the big 2010s boom of shows. If you zoom out further, there's the way that anime had always been producing stuff for an older audience, and many earlier cartoons designed for older audiences were anime-inspired, including Teen Titans, where Matt Youngberg the series producer of Ducktales got his start directing.

Add into the picture the way that Disney started experimenting with more raw shorts with their classic characters. For a while, they were sort of afraid of risking their image, so the classic characters were mostly locked away aside from the most sanitary conditions, but they changed their minds. I think maybe the astonishing success of the remake of My Little Pony might've had something to do with that.

Basically the producers of most of these shows are at the age to have nostalgia for their childhood and the big companies have learned to keep an angle open for older fans, in addition to the overall specific target age raising. Webby, Huey, Dewey, and Louie seem significantly older than they were in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
numerous decades to come the incredibly complex conclusion that making stuff people like will make more money