Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can anyone link that story where some guy was lost in the payroll system for like 10 years or something after they changed the software they used and he got assigned a non-existent department code?

It was a whole story about how he basically showed up to work for 10 years not having any oversight whatsoever because of this payroll glitch, and one day he found someone else in this mega-corp that had the same thing happen to them.

I don't know if the story was real or not, but it was pretty drat entertaining!

I, too, enjoyed the movie 'Office Space'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sepist posted:

Man I was very excited to blow senior managements mind with this 5G lan high level design I put together but someone already pitched the idea after seeing a draft of my presentation. Really takes the wind out of my sails. At least now I know they're on board with the pilot program. I was supposed to present it weeks ago but between management and mine schedule it never worked out.

This is why you always put the wrong information in publicly visible drafts so idiots can hang themselves when they try and steal your work.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Really not sure if it's a good career move but thinking about jumping ship to a smaller firm as HD from system admin if I'm able to get a raise to avoid 4AM Saturday shifts. Hard as balls finding a good system admin job with how siloed the current firm is.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

skipdogg posted:

Lots of Personality questions. Teaching the technical stuff is easy. Can't teach them to be polite and helpful. I prefer customer service backgrounds to technical backgrounds.

This. You hire the person and train the skills. Obviously you want them to have some skills that at least show an aptitude for what you're looking for, but you can normally glean some insight to them from conversation.

I worked at a small business where the atmosphere was quite friendly (but not obnoxious 'cool kids'). When I was interviewing for a desktop engineer / all round gopher I asked a few technical questions, but they were more talking points. I made a point of saying "these aren't pass or fail, tell me your approach" and I encouraged conversation. This weeded out the angry spergs and the paper geniuses who can only quote text books.

The last question we asked was "who would win a fight out of a badger and an otter?". Their reaction helped us gauge their humour and being put on the spot in an awkward conversation. The guy who got the job answered "is the fight on land or water?". Obviously he had legit tech skills too and didn't get the job just because of that (runner up answered "has the otter had any combat training?".

As someone else said, personality, patience and logic is what you're after. One of the questions I asked was a very basic subnetting question, but gave multiple choice answers for them and I set it so that it was possible to answer the question with no networking knowledge by using logic to eliminate the wrong answers. Again, the guy that got the job actually said he'd not done subnetting for a while, but got the right answer. I asked his to explain and he actually said "I'll be honest, I knew it couldn't be these ones because X". That ticked more boxes for me than the guy who gave the perfect answer, explained the maths behind subnetting and snorted derisively at such an easy question with an eye roll. THAT'S a guy that mutters about the users under his breath instead of understanding them.

Remember, you spend more time with these people than you're own families. Pick people you actually get along with

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Dog_Meat posted:

As someone else said, personality, patience and logic is what you're after. One of the questions I asked was a very basic subnetting question, but gave multiple choice answers for them and I set it so that it was possible to answer the question with no networking knowledge by using logic to eliminate the wrong answers. Again, the guy that got the job actually said he'd not done subnetting for a while, but got the right answer. I asked his to explain and he actually said "I'll be honest, I knew it couldn't be these ones because X". That ticked more boxes for me than the guy who gave the perfect answer, explained the maths behind subnetting and snorted derisively at such an easy question with an eye roll. THAT'S a guy that mutters about the users under his breath instead of understanding them.

I always throw a complete stinker of a question into the tecnical portion of the interview. The current one is "What port does ICMP use?". They last person I hired gave me the correct answer but asked if they could use their phone to Google it to a question they weren't sure about it and wanted to make sure that they were correct.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Read Who by Geoff Smart for an interesting perspective on “voodoo hiring”.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

WhoNeedsAName posted:

I always throw a complete stinker of a question into the tecnical portion of the interview. The current one is "What port does ICMP use?". They last person I hired gave me the correct answer but asked if they could use their phone to Google it to a question they weren't sure about it and wanted to make sure that they were correct.
This question will tell you a lot about who did and didn't learn networking on a Linksys home router

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Just ask how traceroute works. If they know, then they understand networking

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

packets go in, packets go out, can't explain that

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well, it’s a series of tubes.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I've seen it come up in this thread, but is there a recommended open source ticketing system? I'm kinda sick of using the Dev teams Jira for help desk.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Defenestrategy posted:

I've seen it come up in this thread, but is there a recommended open source ticketing system? I'm kinda sick of using the Dev teams Jira for help desk.

This sounds like you are asking for a whole lot of pain.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, if a portion of your company already uses a Helpdesk, especially one that you are likely working closely with, don't split off to another ticketing system. See if some adjustments can be made to JIRA to make it work better for you. But otherwise, having two different systems is likely the worse solution.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Whatever you do, spiceworks is not the answer.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, if a portion of your company already uses a Helpdesk

They don't, at least not really?

As far as I can tell they use JIRA for their project management i.e The project manager makes a bunch of actionable items like "Code a widget" or "make a better dashboard" and assigns it to someone. The only reason IT is currently using it, is having users come up to us personally and ask us for stuff or tell us the network is broken or to buy them software, got really annoying and hard to manage. It's just Jira isn't particularly user friendly for needing to organize by first in/first out or "THE CEO'S HAVING AN ISSUE :alarm:"

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Free helpdesk software sucks because its free. Just fyi.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

They don't, at least not really?

As far as I can tell they use JIRA for their project management i.e The project manager makes a bunch of actionable items like "Code a widget" or "make a better dashboard" and assigns it to someone. The only reason IT is currently using it, is having users come up to us personally and ask us for stuff or tell us the network is broken or to buy them software, got really annoying and hard to manage. It's just Jira isn't particularly user friendly for needing to organize by first in/first out or "THE CEO'S HAVING AN ISSUE :alarm:"

I guess my point is, JIRA can work as helpdesk software. They even sell a stripped-down version for that purpose. If your devs are using it for their tasks, you should probably use it for yours. It makes working together a lot easier.

If not, yeah, there are other choices out there. If it has to be free, Spiceworks is not great by any stretch but it will get the job done. osTicket is open source and may be what you're asking for. FreshDesk and ZenDesk can get expensive, but they are pretty good solutions.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Whatever you do, spiceworks is not the answer.

As a current user of spiceworks, this can not be understated.

If it has to be free, Spiceworks is not great by any stretch but it will get the job done.

nononono

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 29, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

As a current user of spiceworks, this can not be understated.

nononono

You're currently using it, aren't you? :-D

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

You're currently using it, aren't you? :-D

His username adds depth beyond meaning to this discussion.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hey IT thread,

Total E/N ahead...

I could use some career advice. Nothing is certain yet, but I’m interviewing for a cloud services (level one) role. Currently I work in app and device management (Jamf, SCCM, and Google primarily.

I’ve been at my organization for 4 years, but was promoted to my current role 5 months ago. There’s loads to do here, but we’re definitely not a fast-paced org. In my role now I feel I could do a lot if I stick with it, even just for a while longer. It’s public too so the hours are good and the pay is hard to beat. With some more training I could probably spend my career here (or have career more options in similar organizations).

Now the other position is exciting, I’d get to touch new stuff, but I’d be all-in on one product and have to work weekends. Some of their other positions sound cool, but others require a lot of travel, and I imagine are a lot more stressful. Along with that, they’re private and I think matching my salary might be a “stretch” for them.

I’ve got an interview Tuesday, so I’m going to do some thinking over the weekend and hopefully talk to my supervisor a bit too.

That said, I’d appreciate some advice. What questions would you ask yourself? If you’ve had to choose between two similar choices, what did you choose and why?

I’d really appreciate hearing anything you have to say. Thanks!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ask yourself which you're more interested in: Developing new skills at a new organization or honing existing skills in a stable work environment with long-term potential.

Every job move involves risk, even more so when moving from a position you know you're secure in to something new in a different company. If you're risk adverse and don't like the inherent instability of a job change, stay where you are and look for alternative avenues of learning new skills if you're bored with what you do now. You may also find your new job will stale quickly while you put in your merit time before being allowed to move to a higher level roll or alternate career path.

Personally I love switching jobs and learning new stuff. Very little hesitation to do so if the financials make sense. Some people not so much.

Endpoint Management as a skill set isn't going to be obsolete anytime in the near future, so weigh that in too.

E: As to what to ask, my own questions would revolve entirely around what I just outlined above. Every potential new employer gets asked "Why should I leave a stable long-term working environment to join your organization?". The ones worth working for have better answers than "Because we offer new opportunities!"

Don't forget to factor in work environment and life balance as well. Are you willing to sacrifice your personal time to learn new things in a private sector job that will most definitely treat you worse than a public organization? Whats the dress code? Are you giving up Jeans and T-Shirts for slacks and a button down? Working hours too. I'd rather work 35 than 50 for the same salary.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 29, 2019

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
These professional sports teams IT groups have it nice. I'm onsite at a baseball team right now and they gave me the grand tour earlier. Due to sponsorships they get tons of free poo poo, and all of the breakfast, lunch and dinners are either catered, in stock, or the food places onsite have dry runs where they serve the employees for free. Lot of other perks too but the food stuck out to me

Definitely found my "lifer" job for the future

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sepist posted:

These professional sports teams IT groups have it nice. I'm onsite at a baseball team right now and they gave me the grand tour earlier. Due to sponsorships they get tons of free poo poo, and all of the breakfast, lunch and dinners are either catered, in stock, or the food places onsite have dry runs where they serve the employees for free. Lot of other perks too but the food stuck out to me

Definitely found my "lifer" job for the future

I can tell you for certain its definitely not great for every team. I have known 1 and interviewed another member of the Dallas Cowboys IT support teams. All the accounts I got was that it is extremely stressful and has extreme poo poo hours. Working for the football teams in any capacity has real life/work balance issues that can't really be ignored. It has all the negatives that come with working for a video game company, but with even shittier executive staffs ready to eat you alive for the smallest of reasons.

I in fact interviewed for one of their gigs 10 years ago and I was interviewed by some of the most tired looking folks I have ever witnessed. I declined the second interview after hearing what my expected availability would be like. You were available all hours, no matter what.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Did it pay well?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I have to imagine baseball is way lower stress than football.

Do stadiums have their own IT staff to run infrastructure, or does the stadium's home team IT also have to support all other events at the venue?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Did it pay well?

I remember it not being awful, which probably excludes it from gaming level pay. Your average work week was probably 60 hours during the season and 50 during the off season though. The NFL season at the team level doesn't really have much off time. The season was best described to me as "It feels like running a convention every day for 5 months."

Noooooooooppppppppppppppeeeeee

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I have to imagine baseball is way lower stress than football.

Do stadiums have their own IT staff to run infrastructure, or does the stadium's home team IT also have to support all other events at the venue?

All football teams have their own staff and some of the staff travels with the team. A big chunk of the stadium work is a clusterfuck of contracted teams who support a great number of things. You have facilities folks who keep the stadium technology running. You have another team running the boards and other game day like presentations. You have people supporting the tv networks and other press. You also have folks who interface with visiting teams to ensure they have all the services they need (internet, wireless communications, etc). The people needed is a lot more than you would think.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I just want to be the guy who eats the free food and supports like 10 switches. That guy seems to have the sweet spot.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I brought down my first office today. It was a minor mistake, I caught the issue and had it fixed in 10 minutes, but it's a good sign as I'm getting my hands dirty on more than basic residential customer support.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I wonder what it's like doing IT for the NBA, NFL, NHL, etc. when stuff doesn't work right.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Tab8715 posted:

I wonder what it's like doing IT for the NBA, NFL, NHL, etc. when stuff doesn't work right.

If you're the NHL, you just tape the arena WIFI password up in the owner's suite then broadcast it during national TV.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
If you're the NFL, CBS airs the wifi password when covering the super bowl

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Garrand posted:

I brought down my first office today. It was a minor mistake, I caught the issue and had it fixed in 10 minutes, but it's a good sign as I'm getting my hands dirty on more than basic residential customer support.

This is a rite of passage, well done.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Garrand posted:

welcome to "Team Get poo poo Done"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
At work, we use whiteboard problems as part of the interview process.

We've had some candidates who were unprepared for the whiteboard, and we feel like it's not particularly fair and that we might be passing up on good candidates.

What are some resources that we can send to our recruiters to give to candidates so they are better prepared.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What kind of problems are you asking? That may be more significant than asking people to whiteboard stuff out.

Otherwise, I'd just have the recruiter mention that this will be a technical, "whiteboarding" style interview so people can get into that head space before they show up.

Might be worth a read - https://medium.freecodecamp.org/lets-talk-about-whiteboarding-interviews-fed040e20cc9

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

GitHub project? What are you white boarding? Elaborate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They might also just find it really awkward to try and write on a whiteboard. Give them the option of a large sheet of paper on the table you're all sat around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Hand them a keyboard and laptop? I can’t code on a white board