Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Last week's Conan podcast with Colbert and this new one with Timothy Olyphant could not be more different.

And this week's, with Jeff Goldblum, is still something else entirely.

I mean, wow. This is... Wow.

I think this might be the first podcast I actually want to listen to a second time.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Jimmy Fallon is doing a whole show in the style of The Larry Sanders Show tonight. Featuring Tina Fey, Ben Stiller, Robert DeNiro, Lorne Michaels, Robert Irwin, and Florida Georgia Line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Apparently copyright issues are holding up the release of the full archive, but all the Conan Remotes are going up in a few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Y9wBqEJPI

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Speaking of remotes, isn’t the new format supposed to allow Conan to do more of those? I haven’t seen him do a single one yet. It’s more of the same bad studio bits.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the new format will allow him to do more travel remote specials, not so much remotes for the show itself.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

deon cole is back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VrfRHdfzL0

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vegetable posted:

Speaking of remotes, isn’t the new format supposed to allow Conan to do more of those? I haven’t seen him do a single one yet. It’s more of the same bad studio bits.
He went to Australia a couple weeks ago and filmed a show there. Who knows when it's coming out, but yeah, it seems like he's still gonna be doing those.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How on Earth did he get the rights to any of his NBC stuff back to begin with?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It might have helped that he’s basically a non-entity in late night television anymore. His ratings barely register a blip.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yeah. His heart hasn’t been in it for a while. It was one thing to say, “if our next gig is doing a show in a 7-11 parking lot, we’ll find a way to make it fun,” but in reality, he was never the same after leaving Tonight. NBC knows he’s basically worthless nowadays, but I wouldn’t put it past NBC to be dicks for the sake of being dicks, either.

On a related note: His podcast has been very fun to listen to, and his episode with Thomas Middleditch and Ben Schwartz was insanely funny. Like, I was just hurting from laughing before it was over.

Also, as of Wednesday night’s episode, Fallon’s show no longer has an opening montage. The network may be getting desperate to keep eyeballs on Chuckles O’ Fallon... this isn’t the first time the show has altered its format over the past couple months.

pwn fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 2, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I imagine it helps being at TBS, which already has deals with NBC to syndicate their old shows, and TBS is probably the only buyer interested in that back catalogue.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Wait, is that jordan schlansky as spock?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Tony Hale was on Colbert last night -- they talked a whole bunch about Veep and Toy Story 4 but not a word about the new run of Arrested Development eps. Not a mention of the show at all except one very brief name drop, in passing, to provide context for an unrelated anecdote, and it felt like he said it as fast as possible to avoid talking about it. Guess the show's done.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Conan remotes are up!

There's literally hundreds of these things! :stonk: It's gonna take me so much time to watch all of these hahaha

There's even a Jordan Schlansky playlist!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Oh God, that one where he went to Houston... man, I remember laughing so hard at that. Even the setup was amazing.

If memory serves, watching Conan in the St. Louis market at the time wasn't much easier. You had to get through the Tonight Show, then Jerry Springer, and then Conan. Having Springer in there was very weird. "Hey, here's a late night talk show with comedy-like skits and simulated humor! Oh... here's whatever in the gently caress late-90's Springer is... and now Conan!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's like a proto Insomniac. It's great.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh god, I forgot about Apple Picking with Mr. T

Edit: I’m not seeing the Mr T segment I thought apple picking was, the one where they’re reading poetry and Mr T keeps cracking up with that ridiculous laugh.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 27, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Omg, Andy asking people at Mardi Gras asking people what they think about Clinton's healthcare package in '94. They either don't care about the question at all or they're like "CLINTON SUCKS!" He even asks one woman that flashes him for beads hahahaha

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Tony Hale was on Colbert last night -- they talked a whole bunch about Veep and Toy Story 4 but not a word about the new run of Arrested Development eps. Not a mention of the show at all except one very brief name drop, in passing, to provide context for an unrelated anecdote, and it felt like he said it as fast as possible to avoid talking about it. Guess the show's done.

Unsurprising. They had a PR collapse just before launching the first half of S5, everyone is disgusted by Tambor, and the new episodes are garbage. Nobody wants to see the second half of S5 and releasing it is basically a dreaded formality.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
poo poo, was season 5 that bad? Been distracted from finishing my rewatch of S4.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Die Sexmonster! posted:

poo poo, was season 5 that bad? Been distracted from finishing my rewatch of S4.

I've always said that it's impossible for a new piece of work to retroactively make the thing it's continuing worse but boy i get the feeling that Arrested Development Season 5 is gonna put that theory to the test

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

It wasn't bad, it just takes a little more to justify it at this point, and they're not really up to the task.

But moreover, the horrible PR from that interview and finding out about the hostile work environment just kind of sucked the air out of the whole thing. I'm not holding a grudge because I think there were eventually some adequate apologies (and more importantly, forgiveness) but I guess circling back to my point, the cast and the marketing team seem to be signalling that it's over.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but literally nobody's talking in the actual AD thread so...

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It was set up as a very clear ending, too, after the whole snuu snuu thing

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Unsurprising. They had a PR collapse just before launching the first half of S5, everyone is disgusted by Tambor, and the new episodes are garbage. Nobody wants to see the second half of S5 and releasing it is basically a dreaded formality.

oh christ, THERE'S MORE??? I'm like 3 episodes in to season 5 and basically have no will to continue, I thought it was only 8 episodes total and I have no idea how I could get through all 16, or why I would want to. Season 4 was good enough to end on

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

piratepilates posted:

oh christ, THERE'S MORE??? I'm like 3 episodes in to season 5 and basically have no will to continue, I thought it was only 8 episodes total and I have no idea how I could get through all 16, or why I would want to. Season 4 was good enough to end on

Yeah, people have issues with Season 4, and I get that, but I enjoyed it. I've barely started 5, but probably won't continue.

I wonder how it'll be looked at 10 years from now?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wonder how it'll be looked at 10 years from now?

It won't

The whole point of Season 4 being recut was so that they could reach 100 episodes for syndication - they won't be able to sell it now

pwn
May 27, 2004

Colbert Easter Egg: This fake whiskey, Noblet Creek, is both a takeoff of Knob Creek whiskey, and a nod to his Strangers with Candy character, Chuck Noblet. The More You Know

pwn
May 27, 2004

:siren: Late Night is getting 30 extra minutes tonight :siren:

Seth said at the start of the week that they weren’t going to go in-depth on the Mueller report tonight because there just wasn’t going to be time... looks like NBC made time. Late Night with Seth Meyers will run 90 minutes tonight, pre-empting Last Call with Carson Daly.

pwn
May 27, 2004

1. Fallon’s gag last night was cute, even if his superficial political jokes are infuriating

2. Seth Meyers needs to a 90-minute show every Thursday night.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0URTsAosUCw

its a very good interview from 2015

https://www.mixcloud.com/spaceballers/howard-stern-interviews-conan-obrien-02-25-2015/

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Unsure if this would be the thread for it, but has anyone been watching Jordan Klepper's new show? It's pretty great and a massive departure from his previous show. I think it needs way more eyes on it because it's been pretty fascinating.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Jiro posted:

Unsure if this would be the thread for it, but has anyone been watching Jordan Klepper's new show? It's pretty great and a massive departure from his previous show. I think it needs way more eyes on it because it's been pretty fascinating.

I haven't heard of him since The Opposition. Did that get cancelled then or was it never meant to be a long time thing ala The President Show?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

I haven't heard of him since The Opposition. Did that get cancelled then or was it never meant to be a long time thing ala The President Show?

Basically it became really hard/pointless to satirize real life, so after a season they scrapped itt and now it's just been him and a camera team embedding themselves in different aspects of American life. Pipeline protesters in Louisiana, gun advocates in Texas, wrestling schools, getting arrested for real in Atlanta for protesting in support of illegal immigrant students rights. That being said I like what I've seen of it, then again I enjoyed his taking a massive piss on Alex Jones/Glenn Beck with The Opposition. I still very much miss The Nightly Show w/ Larry Wilmore.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

The thing that starts to frustrate me about the satire shows is that they always stop short of explaining the contradiction to the people they are mocking while we laugh because we get it. I don't want to just "get it," I want THAT GUY TO GET IT. EXPLAIN IT TO HIM. MAKE HIM SEE IT. MAKE THE WORLD A SLIGHTLY BETTER PLACE BY SHOWING THIS BELLIGERENT FOOL HOW WRONG HE IS. DON'T JUST LET US SNICKER ABOUT IT.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Steve Vader posted:

The thing that starts to frustrate me about the satire shows is that they always stop short of explaining the contradiction to the people they are mocking while we laugh because we get it. I don't want to just "get it," I want THAT GUY TO GET IT. EXPLAIN IT TO HIM. MAKE HIM SEE IT. MAKE THE WORLD A SLIGHTLY BETTER PLACE BY SHOWING THIS BELLIGERENT FOOL HOW WRONG HE IS. DON'T JUST LET US SNICKER ABOUT IT.

A satire piece of entertainment is not going to make the world a better place, and neither it watching it. It's for entertainment only and the the foolish hope that it's somehow more than that and watching is a form of lowkey activism is a major problem in society.

I also have very bad news for you about retweets.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Steve Vader posted:

The jokes aren’t going to convince anyone whether you explain them or not, and explaining the joke ruins it. Don’t assume they don’t get it. They just don’t laugh because they don’t think it’s funny.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Right up until they showed the clip, I had always thought that Wahlburgers was just something the conan writers made up. Nope; it's had ten seasons for real :psyduck:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

is there a good way to watch the Conan archives other than in a browser on a PC? I’d like to be able to just chill and watch them on TV but it doesn’t seem like that’s an option

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mandrel posted:

is there a good way to watch the Conan archives other than in a browser on a PC? I’d like to be able to just chill and watch them on TV but it doesn’t seem like that’s an option

get a chromecast and cast it to your tv from your computer, or possibly phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jon Batiste once again dipping into video game music with some Zelda music (at the start of the video, here). Saria's song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICnUJl0t0Xw