Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I decided to revisit Cybergirl from 2001 as I have a strong nostalgia for it- aspects of it have aged certainly, but the direction is interesting and it has some really interesting shots.

Episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9ifwmolmIk

For example the whole Interview sequence with the main character's father getting the job at the museum:

The whole scene has strong visual language. It shows pretty clearly from their first visual appearence that the woman in this room is the one in charge (she is the mayor, the other guy I don't know what he does maybe a curator, later the museums wealthy benefactor shows up and dwarfs both of them), they are just on the same level when conducting the interview because that's how the main character's father percieves them.

During the interview they are an exaggerated distance away from the father, and in the individual shots of the interviewers and then the father, they are miles away while the father is shot in close, claustrophobic shots. Also the interview table deliberately avoids both windows adding a sense of wrongness to the whole ensemble:

Also earlier in the episode, the characters are being chased by the evil robots (them and cybergirl are from another planet and are both new to earth) and unlike in most of these stories, the villains are just as capable of error as the main character - the whole start is Cybergirl getting lucky with her first move, sneaking on board a large caravan, and the evil robots getting unlucky, hijacking a small red car. During the chase they end up damaging their own vehicle more than the caravan. They are learning just like Cybergirl and it's fun and interesting to watch because unlike most stories, where either the villains are somehow perfect or just don't care, these guys do care and are just making mistakes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you're wondering why the Costume Quest music has a familiar ensemble aesthetic, it's because it's by The Blasting Company, who did the music for Over the Garden Wall

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Craig of the Creek is a weird, but neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcmoSrXzkes

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

it really is the best CN show on, right now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TV Zombie posted:

it really is the best CN show on, right now.

Craig of the Creek is good, but as a long time fan of meta-humor Teen Titian's Go is still at the top of my list.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 27, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SlothfulCobra posted:

Craig of the Creek is a weird, but neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcmoSrXzkes

I get that a lot of creators these days have a reverence for the 80s, but to put it so front and centre in cartoons that are generally aimed at kids who were born post-2000 is really weird if you think about it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The_Doctor posted:

I get that a lot of creators these days have a reverence for the 80s, but to put it so front and centre in cartoons that are generally aimed at kids who were born post-2000 is really weird if you think about it.

I'd say the current trend is more for 90's nostalgia. 80's nostalgia is more the realm of 00's cartoons, and 90's cartoons were all about 60's and 70's nostalgia. Some shows today are even getting into 00's nostalgia, OK KO being the primary culprit of that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The 80s nostalgia gags like those music video parodies are a gag I feel like should have gotten old by now but still make me crack up every time.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

I'd say the current trend is more for 90's nostalgia. 80's nostalgia is more the realm of 00's cartoons, and 90's cartoons were all about 60's and 70's nostalgia. Some shows today are even getting into 00's nostalgia, OK KO being the primary culprit of that.

[Internal screaming intensifies]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

readingatwork posted:

[Internal screaming intensifies]

:same:

Agreed, that needs to stop right now.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I dunno, getting the lead singer of Korn to voice a villain of the week whose dialogue was mostly nu metal lyrics was an inspired move

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pakled posted:

I dunno, getting the lead singer of Korn to voice a villain of the week whose dialogue was mostly nu metal lyrics was an inspired move

Yeah, that episode was brilliant

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I feel like in roughly a decade we'll start to see '10s nostalgia start to crop up in pop culture

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kids today gettin' old too fast
They can't wait to grow up so they can kiss
Some rear end
They get nostalgic about the last ten years
Before the last ten years have passed

(That song is nearly fourteen years old)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

OK KO is the only show that has really found a voice for more recent nostalgia, although there was a little in Steven Universe.

I think that the way nostalgia is done kinda changes over time instead of just the nostalgia date being moved up in real time. 80s nostalgia in particular for kids' shows, because children's television of the 80s was so drat successful that it forged a bunch of huge long-lived franchises that still echo today, A big chunk of 90s entertainment was made up of either 80s survivors or stuff emulating the 80s, and didn't produce nearly the amount of big franchises. We've hit territory where old nostalgia material can have nostalgia made of it.

Also weird is that after a little poking around, the writers for that episode don't really seem old enough to have remembered the original material when it was new. Ben Levin was 3 when that song came out. The storyboarder for that sequence wouldn't be born for another year (or she was 99, depending on whether her twitter profile birthdate is a typo). There's a weird meta-level to this beyond just a thing people would remember from when it was new.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Another fun weird thing about that clip is that that episode it's from is the season finale (a random early season 2 ep about daylight savings aired early so the CN app lists this ep as the season 2 premier, but it's actually the season 1 finale); this show seems to be emulating Clarence's tradition of season finales being really weird

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

You've also got to realize generational drift amongst decades is real. Lots of the folks who are making the poo poo thats finally coming into its own now are those older millenials/xennials with hazy 80s and super clear 90s nostalgia. The early 90s was really similar to the late 80s aesthetically, and if you've got an older sibling or watched mtv in like 1991 you'd be awash in the 80s. Known Cool Guy Jeff Rosenstock does a ton of the music on the show and he's a respectable 36.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Also trust me that people can absolutely have nostalgia for things that came out way before they could ever like, consume it. Nothing's saying you have to be on the ground floor of something to have wistful feelings about it.

Super Metroid came out like not even a year after I was born, and I didn't play it until it was like 8 or 9 years old, and some of my fondest video game memories are about it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Also trust me that people can absolutely have nostalgia for things that came out way before they could ever like, consume it. Nothing's saying you have to be on the ground floor of something to have wistful feelings about it.

Super Metroid came out like not even a year after I was born, and I didn't play it until it was like 8 or 9 years old, and some of my fondest video game memories are about it.

This post gave me a minor stroke but you know what? I’m just going to be happy that the kids these days are still managing to discover and enjoy the awesome games of yore.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

readingatwork posted:

This post gave me a minor stroke but you know what? I’m just going to be happy that the kids these days are still managing to discover and enjoy the awesome games of yore.

Here's the worst part about that old man, Super Metroid is 25 years old

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Discovering how old stuff was great is a good thing, but at some point it doesn't really count as nostalgia anymore. I've been watching 70s Doctor Who recently, and my sister is a big fan of 1940s movies that predate our parents. I don't think that counts as nostalgia either. Sometimes old things can stand out irrespective of how people remember them. It's happened a lot with books and movies becoming cult classics, and now it's become feasible to happen with TV and videogames.

That's why I get anxious about how the way that modern copyright wraps up some works in complex webs that can leave them orphaned from legal forms of propagation. Cross that with how streaming services can be so temporary, and we may wind up with things from our current era almost totally forgotten after 40 years have come and gone.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Remember that Powerpuff Girls, way back when, had an entire episode dedicated to The Beatles with references that would go over most children of that time's head.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's why I get anxious about how the way that modern copyright wraps up some works in complex webs that can leave them orphaned from legal forms of propagation. Cross that with how streaming services can be so temporary, and we may wind up with things from our current era almost totally forgotten after 40 years have come and gone.

Since this is the kids shows thread, it should be pointed out that there is quite a few early Nick and even more recent Cartoon Network shows that are lost. Something like Pinwheel will never be "profitable" to release due to the rights issues of all the included shorts. And it's a big assumption that master tapes even exist anymore, they could have been wiped to make room for a newer series, a la Dr. Who.

The Lost Media Wiki is a fun rabbit hole to kill time in.

If there's any consolation to our dumb copyright laws, maybe we can all hope Johnny Test ends up lost and forgotten due to weird licensing agreements between Cartoon Network and the Canadian producers.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That lost media wiki is neat. I am a little surprised they didn't include that Kids Next Door game, Operation BEST, though I can't say I blame them if no one remembers it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Xelkelvos posted:

Remember that Powerpuff Girls, way back when, had an entire episode dedicated to The Beatles with references that would go over most children of that time's head.

Animaniacs, of course, was filled with Golden Age of Hollywood jokes that only kids' grandparents were going to get.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

torgo posted:

Since this is the kids shows thread, it should be pointed out that there is quite a few early Nick and even more recent Cartoon Network shows that are lost. Something like Pinwheel will never be "profitable" to release due to the rights issues of all the included shorts. And it's a big assumption that master tapes even exist anymore, they could have been wiped to make room for a newer series, a la Dr. Who.

The Lost Media Wiki is a fun rabbit hole to kill time in.

If there's any consolation to our dumb copyright laws, maybe we can all hope Johnny Test ends up lost and forgotten due to weird licensing agreements between Cartoon Network and the Canadian producers.

What I would give for a DVD release of Toonheads

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Animaniacs, of course, was filled with Golden Age of Hollywood jokes that only kids' grandparents were going to get.

I had seen enough vintage looney tunes shorts at that point that I just assumed that any cartoon that made Hollywood celebrity jokes I didn't get were just made by old rear end men.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1105167731987496960
New Looney Tunes shorts (Uncle Grandpa creator Pete Browngardt as showrunner, Wander Over Yonder art director Alex Kirwan as one of the other main producers) are coming out soon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Good morning!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

God the last few posts are making me feel so loving old...

I mean, I need to watch more OK KO and Craig of the Creek but it's just all going to make me feel older and I'm only 31.

Speaking of 90s nostalgia, someone needs to tell Nick to release Rocko's movie and stop being stupid.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also weird is that after a little poking around, the writers for that episode don't really seem old enough to have remembered the original material when it was new. Ben Levin was 3 when that song came out. The storyboarder for that sequence wouldn't be born for another year (or she was 99, depending on whether her twitter profile birthdate is a typo). There's a weird meta-level to this beyond just a thing people would remember from when it was new.

It's not as straightfoward as "creator has a nostalgia for his youth in the 80s" though

Like how many synthwave artists do you wager are in their 20s? How many teenagers are producing vaporwave? When I was in high school I was deep into 70s culture and aesthetics. (born 88, for context)

poo poo, here's a little story I remember vividly for some reason--

I've always had a bit of insomnia, pretty sure I'm just straight up nocturnal. Means I spent lots of nights as a kid/teen watching Nick at Nite super fuckin late. So one day in 5th grade, age 10, I guess, roll into school some Wednesday or something, and I ask the kid who sits next to me in homeroom if he had watched Laverne and Shirley last night because I wanted to laugh about some joke.

And that sort of experience has only gotten more prevalent in the age of the internet when you can just on-demand consume any media you want. And people can just kind of appreciate the aesthetics and culture of any era they want to, and that's rad as hell

e:
a high school drama club in New Jersey made a stage play out of Alien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srDVrEwPdg4

We live in different times. Nostalgia is going to be a weird beast moving forward

Sockser fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 29, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that counts as a weird meta-level though. I think of nostalgia as more blindly bringing back older stuff because its original viewers have aged to the point of having a significant effect on your target market. This is more just the original material bouncing around, unmoored in time and having influence spread. Does Over the Garden Wall count as nostalgic for turn of the century comics?

I mean I understand having a weird anachronistic childhood, I grew up on VHS, and between commercially available box sets and my grandad being a bit of a super-pirate, I watched Rocky and Bullwinkle, The Monkees, Beany and Cecil, Speed Racer (60s), X-Men, Animaniacs (90s), Looney Tunes, Popeye (30s-40s), and the Muppet Show and Transformers (80s). The style of 80s cartoons in the big boom where production far outpaced the aesthetic and artistic development of the medium and they just kinda brute-force churned them out really imprinted on me (calarts house style conspiracy theorists ain't got poo poo on the 80s). And of course, when I got cable at around the turn of the millennium, Cartoon Network was great for me because it was half reruns. It's pretty rare for me to actually be in the nostalgia pander zone since my childhood was so eclectic, but I have a real thing for weird low budget outlier stuff because of it.

torgo posted:

Man, I wasn't even thinking about physically destroyed/lost media, I was just thinking "legal negazone" stuff like Megas XLR and Sym-bionic Titan, bizarre flash-in-the-pan stuff created by companies that no longer exist (so actually getting rights is next to impossible) like the Red Planet miniseries, or abortive advertising tie-ins for long-dead products like Rose Petal Place.

Theoretically there's always :filez:, but that can be unreliable. Thank god for Youtube in that respect. I even learned about other weird artifacts.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Maurice LaMarche being able to impersonate every leading actor from the Golden Age was a great boon.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1105167731987496960
New Looney Tunes shorts (Uncle Grandpa creator Pete Browngardt as showrunner, Wander Over Yonder art director Alex Kirwan as one of the other main producers) are coming out soon.

I'm pretty hyped for these. I've lived through many a Looney Tunes reboot but hopefully this is the one that is finally successful and they make more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I'm pretty hyped for these. I've lived through many a Looney Tunes reboot but hopefully this is the one that is finally successful and they make more.

Oh, what could have been. :smith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Loonatics designs actually look pretty neat in a late 90s Batman Beyond-esque kinda way, just that every single other aspect of the production is hilariously wrongheaded.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It seems a new show called Victor and Valentino will be premiering tomorrow. Anyone going to watch it?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, what could have been. :smith:

same energy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Actually read those comics a couple years ago(and had read the original books back when I was a kid) they honestly weren't bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Victor and Valentino is pretty good so far.