Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

nice, thanks a lot for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

anchorite posted:

I built the latest Gooncrawl tiles for win64 and put it up on dropbox.

dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgpmh232j0qfyoq/gooncrawl-20190328-tiles-win64.zip?dl=0

I'm trusting you unknown goon even though Windows says "not many people download gooncrawl-20190328-tiles-win64.zip" (why would they even say that?? so hurtful)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Floodkiller posted:

I can look into the drop rate for amnesia scrolls and bump them up if needed.
The problem (IMO) is that spellbook amnesia is gone, but amnesia scrolls weren't increased in frequency to compensate.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

Would it be difficult to just turn it back into a spell? Honestly, I never thought it was so incredibly overpowered that it needed to be a limited resource like a scroll. Yeah, it's kinda Sif Muna's thing, but it always was that and Linley Henzell clearly didn't see an issue with it anyway.

I mean, theoretically, you could switch out your entire loadout of spells to be the optimum for any given situation, but who would bother to do that? The tedium of it would be its own punishment.

Changing your loadout every time you find a tough enemy would be its own punishment I agree but changing your loadout every branch isn't that tedious and may be a play pattern that you don't want to trivially allow

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

What is the harm in killing the entire mechanic of 'you can learn X spells at Y level and Z spellcasting'? What if books were consumables (except for Trog followers) and you learn and retain every spell you come across. This already exists with dropped spellbooks, the only gate is amnesia scrolls.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 29, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PMush Perfect posted:

The problem (IMO) is that spellbook amnesia is gone, but amnesia scrolls weren't increased in frequency to compensate.

Shows how much I play nowadays. When did spellbook amnesia go away, and what was it replaced with?

vvv Oh yea, totally forgot about that. And they didn't change amnesia frequency? Still after all this time? sigh.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 29, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Serephina posted:

Shows how much I play nowadays. When did spellbook amnesia go away, and what was it replaced with?
You eat the book on pickup and its contents are added to a list of spells you can memorize at your leisure later.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

What is the harm in killing the entire mechanic of 'you can learn X spells at Y level and Z spellcasting'? What if books were consumables (except for Trog followers) and you learn and retain every spell you come across. This already exists with dropped spellbooks, the only gate is amnesia scrolls.

I mean honestly why not? It's fun to have a wide range of options, the only problem would be having to make training spellcasting more enticing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Having a finite amount of spells is actually a very good&fun limiting factor that almost every caster will at come across at some point. Hyrbids grabbing mid level util spells, blasty mages having to pick&choose which booms they want as they are all so expensive, and just putting a cap on a Wizard's toolbox.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Skald with permabuffs seems kind of absurd early on, permanent regen the instant you hit level 3, and also spectral weapon if you want it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Serephina posted:

Having a finite amount of spells is actually a very good&fun limiting factor that almost every caster will at come across at some point. Hyrbids grabbing mid level util spells, blasty mages having to pick&choose which booms they want as they are all so expensive, and just putting a cap on a Wizard's toolbox.
Yeah, I'm personally not opposed to that mechanic and I always thought it made sense. Mages already get a substantially larger box of tricks than melee characters. Having access to literally every spell in the game at all times, if you get lucky enough with drops, that would be kind of overwhelming.

We can play around with the formula for memorization slots, if people think loosened restraints would be a good idea. It's fairly simple to work with. Right now, I think it's (INT + Spellcasting + Level) / 2. You can change the weightings in something like that super easily.

cheetah7071 posted:

Changing your loadout every time you find a tough enemy would be its own punishment I agree but changing your loadout every branch isn't that tedious and may be a play pattern that you don't want to trivially allow
Honestly, that's the kind of reasoning that has been turning me off of trunk. Who's harmed by allowing that as a play pattern? I never did it even when it was still possible, because it didn't feel worth the bother. It's not something that you will have available all the time even if you have Amnesia as a spell, anyway. Either you did not find Amnesia, or you did not find enough books to really make constant changes in loadout worth the effort, or you simply can't scrounge up enough XP to even cast half of what you've got anyway.

The biggest advantage to me as a middlingly new player was the ability to test things out without getting punished by being permanently stuck with everything I memorized. See what a spell does, see it does nothing you want, get rid of it again. It's nice to have that kind of flexibility.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

This. I'm not proposing eliminating this mechanic from the game. With regards to my previous comments, Vehumet's supposed to offer interesting choices via limited-time gifts. Outside of Vehumet there's an interesting interaction between your skill training and spell set.

I feel like I want to see them as often as remove curse. Drops are supposed to generate novelty. My new game as a hermit crab I put on cursed +0 ring mail on D1 and didn't find a remove curse scroll until D8. Was unable to equip any new weapons. That was an interesting challenge. Oka gifting distortion weapons, which I totally forgot about, means now I am rocking a glaive at -2 apt instead of a dtrident. Having a disto weapon in your hand instantly creates some interesting choices with some interesting outcomes and also complicates the decision to equip a weapon in the first place.

Core crawl has a stable of competitive and active players who care about score, care about their huge investment in learning the game, and are both currently and historically highly influential with the development team. The development team members are overall huge fans of draconian feature parsimony. Basically a crawl dev is like little Brad Pitt in A River Runs Through It and every time he runs up to daddy to give him a commit daddy gives it back and tells him to write it again but with two more features taken out.

Floodkiller operates with a "first, do no harm" principle with regards to features which I think is more appropriate to this audience. Goons want to have fun. I think about it as a tabletop rpg like D&D. How much do you like for your Dungeon Master to be a rules lawyer?

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 29, 2019

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Finisher is absurdly good now. For all the problems trunk has had, the unrand changes are great.

66890 | Depths:5 | Noticed Peuvivit the pandemonium lord
66891 | Depths:5 | Killed Peuvivit the pandemonium lord
:black101:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Why, why is this on by default:
code:
70ed36a | Shmuale Mark | 2016-10-25 23:13:28 -0400

For trunk, make webtiles mouse control on by default.
Don't cherry-pick this.
This didn't used to work this way or the rc I was using had it false on every single server. Just died in Zot 5, ran into 4 OOD at once, was healing waiting for teleport and Einwand popped into chat to see what was up.
Clicked on the screen to turn off chat and my guy started moving diagonally with 3 OOD on me. :negative:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's terrible and one of many reasons why the first thing I do in a new server is copy my rcfile over.

I'm sure someone out there legitimately likes playing crawl with mouse control and doesn't have Bad Things happen if they absentmindedly click to get rid of chat or whatever, but it should be opt-in, not opt-out.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

You gave me a good idea for a minor fix until a vote can happen

It's a chance (60%) rather than 100% because you weren't always going to memorize and forget a spell from every spellbook, but should be plentiful enough to encourage spell swapping when you find new books.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think the issue is if you're full melee, getting amnesia scrolls gives you a bullshit resource you don't care about. Let Trog burn them for piety :black101:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

It's terrible and one of many reasons why the first thing I do in a new server is copy my rcfile over.

Yeah it's NBD not like it goes into my PERMANENT RECORD stats. I got to play 90% of a Hermit Crab Skald and try out all the new permabuffs so I feel like I've done a caster, melee, and hybrid in Gooncrawl. It would have been a 3-streak and that would have encouraged me to play carefully next game which I hate doing.

Floodkiller, thanks for the quick attention on the buffs and amnesia, next time I logged in I could see Inf and Spec on my buffs.

The way the buffs work is really cool, removes so much tedium (cast regen 10x in a row much?), lets you trade off lowering MP pool since you aren't casting for damage. Really well done. Had spec weapon up on at start of D2 in ring mail. I wound up running Song of Slaying for most of mid-game through depths, I found in almost every case having +9 slaying was a good trade-off for making noise.

Honestly, I had absolutely terrible luck with Oka, found my cloaks on the floor and Tiamat, had to get crystal plate from a scroll and a dtrident off Mara. Still didn't really have any issues so I'd say it's a strong start. Spec Weapon is strong as hell and even easier to get and keep up early (20-30% failure). The big sting of early skald is being in light armor until Lair and -6 EV and +2 APT made that no issue. The lack of gloves, boots and hat is something one might not notice until one is facing down multiple OOFs.

I thought I would share a shot of polearm positioning with spec weapon. Polearms really are the best because not only can you position so they are safe they also don't waste nearly as many turns moving.

Here was my setup for Elf3:

This lets you attack one enemy at a time and lets your polearm hit too. Polearm can only be hit by missiles/bolts. If you have to move out or you already have your weapon up, just move one more in and then back to get it behind you. Ideally you dig behind you with disint if you are fighting anything that can blink. With the new permabuff it's easier since the weapon will spawn behind you when you hit an enemy.

If you are where I am in elf3 it's imperative to not peek your head out and let an elementalist see you. Once they do they are going to break out the wrecking ball.

With a non-polearm you would do the same but instead of digging up and left you would dig the two squares marked with a red line instead. Then you sit on the rightmost. That way only 2 enemies can see your weapon and only one enemy can see you.

To position an existing weapon, move in up right then move left and right so you can position your weapon out of the way of incoming enemies.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Bug report: skellington swivel gaze of ire is turning off skill training targets. If you are training Armor to 6 and Reap takes it above 6 it will turn off armor training.

Also, welcome to D2!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Bug report: skellington swivel gaze of ire is turning off skill training targets. If you are training Armor to 6 and Reap takes it above 6 it will turn off armor training.

This should fix it.

Also, please post if WebTiles is suddenly broken tomorrow as that means I screwed up a patch to display your total MP when you have MP reserved (which worked everywhere but WebTiles already).

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

This should fix it.

Also, please post if WebTiles is suddenly broken tomorrow as that means I screwed up a patch to display your total MP when you have MP reserved (which worked everywhere but WebTiles already).

Looks good, and hey, what's this:

quote:

There is an entrance to Ciphea's Book Shoppe here.
You pick up a book of Burglary and begin reading...
You add the spells Passage of Golubria and Darkness to your library.
A scroll of amnesia falls out of the book!
You pick up a book of Dreams and begin reading...
You add the spells Ensorcelled Hibernation, Borgnjor's Vile Clutch, Silence and
Time Stop to your library.
A scroll of amnesia falls out of the book!
Thank you for shopping at Ciphea's Book Shoppe!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I'm taking a Skellington through Hell, currently not wearing Hat of the Alchemist or amulet of Four Winds because that's how bad skeletons need regen.
http://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/araganzar/araganzar.txt

Need a good exec axe, bardiche, or a good large shield trying Tartarus now since it has good loot. Dispel undead scares me but Ereshkigal should be okay if I can clear the Tzitzimitl. With 164 hp, no heals, and eating dispel undeads no idea how I would do gloorx or probably pan because of black stars and random pan lords. edit: yeah and silence doesn't work on Tizitzimitl....may have to bail. Might die.

As a mummy I would solve this with glaciate or LCS. Have 2 +4 exec axes I've burned a ton of brand weapon scrolls on trying to get chopping flaming or freezing.

Apported the Cocytus rune then had to tport away. Decided to come back and try out the martial stance since why the gently caress not someone has to test this crap out.

quote:

78289 | Coc:7 | Noticed Antaeus
78406 | Coc:7 | Got an icy rune of Zot
78756 | Coc:7 | Killed Antaeus

Stance pretty good, the damage shaving is real. Where would I find the particulars? So far it looks like it adds about XL/5 skill to heroisim traits and maybe gives damage shaving based on XL same as for DD?

edit: yah that was was a really bad idea. Hit by dispel undead for 72 then 78. What's funny is my spec weapon didn't come back. Still, fun game. Probably need to have the exec axe going for Tartarus but I think it would be hard regardless. But I wanted to see how they performed. I've never had to really deal with dispel undead before, always had heard it was serious business.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 30, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Floodkiller posted:

You gave me a good idea for a minor fix until a vote can happen

It's a chance (60%) rather than 100% because you weren't always going to memorize and forget a spell from every spellbook, but should be plentiful enough to encourage spell swapping when you find new books.
In the short term, this really is nice and I appreciate that you thought to add it. Could you maybe change it to, I don't know, (spells in the book) modulo 3 instead? Just to make it more proportionate to how many spells you might be wanting to try out. In the long term, we can then vote on it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

In the short term, this really is nice and I appreciate that you thought to add it. Could you maybe change it to, I don't know, (spells in the book) modulo 3 instead? Just to make it more proportionate to how many spells you might be wanting to try out. In the long term, we can then vote on it.

I'll wait to see more feedback from others before changing it again. I personally think making more than half of the books pop out a free amnesia scroll is going to be enough.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm finding skeles a bit fragile for melee too, and they don't have the trade-off other low hp guys do like magic bite for VS or super armour for Gargoyle. Reap is obviously a buff but it has drawbacks like you can't get out of trouble as easily. Current guy is at three runes and reap and heroism gets things done (I assume they synergize) but am blowing a lot of tele scrolls to get out of visual range when in trouble. Not sure if it's sustainable for extended especially when you run up against holy/undead damaging stuff more often.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

I'm finding skeles a bit fragile for melee too, and they don't have the trade-off other low hp guys do like magic bite for VS or super armour for Gargoyle. Reap is obviously a buff but it has drawbacks like you can't get out of trouble as easily. Current guy is at three runes and reap and heroism gets things done (I assume they synergize) but am blowing a lot of tele scrolls to get out of visual range when in trouble. Not sure if it's sustainable for extended especially when you run up against holy/undead damaging stuff more often.
It's why you kind of need either Makhleb (Trog? Okawaru?) or some other way to deal with extended fights, escape isn't really an option. Hell, maybe even Chei so you can just disappear into time and let things wander off. I have lots of Skelly theories.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I think there's something there but I still gotta figure it out. Took Oka for the non dangerous heroism buff but love combining it with reap too much I think. Would help if any Regen dropped whatsoever which might be the missing piece.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Is there a list anywhere of which spells became permabuffs?

Relatedly, does anyone have any tips on how to get into necromancy? I've tried a couple times but I'm never sure how hybridized I'm supposed to be, which gods synergize, etc. The most obvious candidates actually seem kinda at odds with using necromancy yourself.

Absolutely loving all the new features in gooncrawl, they've revitalized my attention in the game that had been flagging since 0.19 or so. DsAr is an absolute blast.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Is there a list anywhere of which spells became permabuffs?

All the stuff crossed out on the third page here plus Repel Missiles.

I'll get to updating the changelog at some point.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Relatedly, does anyone have any tips on how to get into necromancy? I've tried a couple times but I'm never sure how hybridized I'm supposed to be, which gods synergize, etc. The most obvious candidates actually seem kinda at odds with using necromancy yourself.

The classic way is to hybrid, go kiku, and take advantage of the pain weapon. Pain brand is best on a fast weapon (aka quick blade) and summons distract so stabber / enchanter is quite good. Vamp Touch offers a method to finish after stabs. Can also go pure melee and use vamp touch to face tank better.

Gozag reasons:

quote:

10539 | D:5 | Bought the +8 lance "Wyrmbane" {slay drac, rPois rF+ rC+ AC+3} for 1131 gold piece

edit: Probably would be best if this wasn't a possible result for a OpAr:

quote:

You have an epiphany! The dusty tome is a manual of Armour! Reading it may be key to unlocking the crate...

Yeah, gonna have a tough time with that, game.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 31, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
gently caress, Wyrmblade that early sounds amazing. I've never gotten it in it's newer form where it powers up - are there any early game draconians that it'll proc off of? Mottled dragons is the earliest I can think of, but they're still rather rare.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Mottled dragons are too weak to increase the enchantment. The earliest dragons that can affect it is Lindwyrm, Swamp Dragon and and Death Drake. The first can rarely be found in Lair, the second in Swamp and the last in some vaults of Lair/Swamp. You're better off hunting in Depths and Vaults for Fire and Ice Dragons, though.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well I tried out timestop, it didn't seem particularly good but maybe it's meant as an ultimate guaranteed stabbing button for hexers rather than my formicid with a great mace who found it and felt like trying it out.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Araganzar posted:

it'll give you a good hat or (i assume is possible) shield

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

someone awful. posted:

it'll give you a good hat or (i assume is possible) shield

It will give a species who can train Armor a good hat or shield! But when I try to read it page one says WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU ARE AN OCTOPODE YOU CAN'T WEAR ARMOR CLOSE THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Serephina posted:

gently caress, Wyrmblade that early sounds amazing. I've never gotten it in it's newer form where it powers up - are there any early game draconians that it'll proc off of? Mottled dragons is the earliest I can think of, but they're still rather rare.

Mottled dragons were replaced with acid dragons. Forget which version.

Araganzar posted:

At least bug fixes are forcing me to keep busy this weekend :v:

Edit: Fixed. Also made sure not to offer armor artifacts to Faerie Dragons and Draconians for the same reason.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 31, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Race idea: Blind mole-people, have a passive mapping mutation (antenna?), gnoll item-smelling, and enemy-difficulty sense a la Ashenzari. Terrible ranged aptitudes, obviously, but great Stealth apt, Formicid digging, and a high natural MR. "Real" vision range is six.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

There used to be a mottled draconian; it was removed in .20. Also, if one +18 item is good, two +18 items has to be better, right?

quote:

20531 | Orc:2 | Bought the +18 shield of the Gong {rElec rN+ MR+ EV-5} for 1556 gold pieces

Gong is a legit strat for Snake:4, Vaults:5, and Zot:5. Difficult to employ in Elf:3 thanks to diggers but if you employ it I guarantee you wan't have many surprises when you go in.

Won this game, decent artefacts:
pre:
             Escaped with the Orb... and 4 runes on Mar 31, 2019!
              The game lasted 05:25:10 (71020 turns).
Health: 231/231    AC: 39    Str: 21    XL:     27
Magic:  34/34      EV: 30    Int: 24    God:    Gozag
Gold:   748        SH: 34    Dex: 30    Spells: 2/49 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   s - +18 lance "Wyrmbane" {slay drac, rPois rF+ rC+ AC+3}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   F - +18 shield of the Gong {rElec rN+ MR+ EV-5}
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   Z - +8 fire dragon scales
rPois    +         Spirit   .   Y - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR+ Slay+3 SInv}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   X - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   e - +0 pair of fencer's gloves {+Riposte Dex+3}
MR       ++++.     Clarity  +   (boots unavailable)
Stlth    +.........NoTele   +   d - amulet "Hamirph" {Regen+ Str-3 Dex+2 Slay+2}
HPRegen  0.88/turn              W - ring "Rephej" {-Tele rElec rF+ rN+ Int+5}
MPRegen  0.24/turn              M - ring "Mehanoos" {rPois rC+ AC+3 Dex+2}
12 polearms left a lot of XP, I got Necromancy up for Borgnor's then I found Infestation on Z:2. Infestation is a spell that lets you watch bugs chase down and beat up OOFs like they are slow old men just trying to cross the street. Also if you are Gozag gold goes flying everywhere when scarabs burst out of people's chests. So use this spell if you want another 10k turns on your score from auto-pickup.

Does anyone know about Blade of Disaster? Vehumet has offered it to my octopode with Glaive of the Guard. I read the commits and it looks like it creates a Fulminant Prism maybe next to the monster? Is it a permabuff? Can you self-own with it?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Fulminant Prism is a crystal that explodes in 2-3 turns. You can definitely self-own with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

Race idea: Blind mole-people, have a passive mapping mutation (antenna?), gnoll item-smelling, and enemy-difficulty sense a la Ashenzari. Terrible ranged aptitudes, obviously, but great Stealth apt, Formicid digging, and a high natural MR. "Real" vision range is six.

So your vision range is 6, but enemies have 8?