Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are they gonna try and explain why there's so many psychos and why they got all mutated and wear uniform Jason masks?

Most of this has been explained already, convicts were forced to work in irradiated mines and then abandoned when the wildlife woke up from hibernation and started killing people. All of that led to varying degrees of mutation and insanity.

The masks are just cool character design not everything needs lore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

watho posted:

Most of this has been explained already, convicts were forced to work in irradiated mines and then abandoned when the wildlife woke up from hibernation and started killing people. All of that led to varying degrees of mutation and insanity.

I believe Tannis's quest in the Caustic Caverns in BL2 goes through this yeah, Dahl bought a shitload of people to be forced labor, others were included like scientists such as herself and whatnot but they all hosed off when Pandora's wildlife woke up and abandoned virtually everyone.

Tannis's echo log quests in BL1 detail the process of her losing her mind over being abandoned on the hellworld.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It has been half a decade and I'm still really annoyed that they did Tannis so dirty in Borderlands 2. Those logs detailing her arrival on Pandora in the first game set the tone of the game world SO much better than nearly anything else in the whole thing, and then Borderlands 2 is like "but what if instead of tragic she was just zany and wacky"

edit: I really like the writing in all the Borderlands games but the ever-continuing shift toward saturday morning cartoon humor was really not the direction I wanted the series to go. I laugh at the Butt Stallion jokes, because they are funny, but it ain't what I imagined Borderlands would become after really enjoying the first game's tone.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 29, 2019

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah, the first game feels a lot more like gallows humor and I generally prefer it’s tone. I also really dislike how the second game basically retconned the entire plot of the first game for a cheap twist

I did a slightly more thorough look through the trailer and what I’m really excited about is that the shotguns seem to be not the bullshit they were in 2

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
One of the perks of being simpler graphics-wise is the lower hardware requirements.
It's Borderlands 2 but modernized and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I was definitely one of those guys who was expecting a bit more especially as it's a sequel to a PS3-360 era game coming out nearly a decade later but it's growing on me for sure.

Gearbox has stated previously that they liked how Bethesda announced and released Fallout 4 in such a short window and they wanted to try and do the same thing, so I think Borderlands 3 is headed for Autumn release or so. In the same leak that revealed the characters and plot with 100% accuracy they said the game's reveal was delayed significantly because of AI issues with one of the heroes' pet abilities or somesuch, so I'm willing to believe the game is closer than we think.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 29, 2019

watho
Aug 2, 2013

They said they’ve been working on it for 5 years so a release this year is not unlikely

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I did not knew my love for Borderlands was so huge. I feel like a mechromancer with 300 stacks of anarchy. Cant wait to play Borderlands 3, hope is good and they have pour love on it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

watho posted:

It amuses me that the lore in Borderlands is wafer thin but people still get really wrapped up in it (myself included). So something like there being six sirens at anyone time is from a throwaway line single echo log and but we hang onto that and base no end of speculation on it. Even the discussions about Tannis on this page and changes in her characterisation between the two games is based on like a handful of minutes of audio logs and quest dialogue. They seem to do a little with a lot. It makes me wonder if what we see is the tip of the iceberg and they actually have a lot of this mapped out behind the scenes... or if what we see is all there is.

Tei posted:

I did not knew my love for Borderlands was so huge. I feel like a mechromancer with 300 stacks of anarchy. Cant wait to play Borderlands 3, hope is good and they have pour love on it.

:same:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I think the character who got the real short end of the stick was Helena Pierce, she was one of the primary questgivers in the New Haven and later parts of Borderlands 1, but Handsome Jack blows her head off between games and she's never mentioned again after Hammerlock's quest at the very start of BL2.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i hope the new robot guy is cool, not too jazzed with the other new character designs

it would be cool if they let us play as the characters from previous games. i loved being claptrap in the presequel

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Judge Tesla posted:

I think the character who got the real short end of the stick was Helena Pierce, she was one of the primary questgivers in the New Haven and later parts of Borderlands 1, but Handsome Jack blows her head off between games and she's never mentioned again after Hammerlock's quest at the very start of BL2.

I WAS REAL MAD ABOUT THIS

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Borderlands 2 just seemed to have this weird obsession with going "remember that character from the first game? you're the only one who does, out with the old in with the new biiiiiiiiiiiitch" and it made me sad.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
BL1 writing and characters were... not good. BL2 was infinitely more engaging and while they overdid it in lol memes department, even that worked better than the first game for the most part.

I do hope they try to emulate Tales for tone.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

CJacobs posted:

Borderlands 2 just seemed to have this weird obsession with going "remember that character from the first game? you're the only one who does, out with the old in with the new biiiiiiiiiiiitch" and it made me sad.

Yep they got some lovely memelord for 2 to replace the writer for 1 who had to quit because of his multiple sclerosis from what I've read.
Thankfully Birch is no longer on 3

edit: people who prefer 2's writing should be studied in a laboratory

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Megazver posted:

BL1 writing and characters were... not good. BL2 was infinitely more engaging and while they overdid it in lol memes department, even that worked better than the first game for the most part.

I do hope they try to emulate Tales for tone.

Personally I really liked the progression of Mad Max wasteland yokels -> military ordinance bugstompers trying to force their way to order and society. Going from folks like TK Baha telling you to punch Skags to death and Scooter threatening to bury you six feet under (while also letting you drive his cars) to fighting against a real military force trying to wipe out you AND the bandits was fun. But I do agree that Tales found what is imo a good middle ground and I hope we see more of that kind of thing.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

CJacobs posted:

It has been half a decade and I'm still really annoyed that they did Tannis so dirty in Borderlands 2. Those logs detailing her arrival on Pandora in the first game set the tone of the game world SO much better than nearly anything else in the whole thing, and then Borderlands 2 is like "but what if instead of tragic she was just zany and wacky"

edit: I really like the writing in all the Borderlands games but the ever-continuing shift toward saturday morning cartoon humor was really not the direction I wanted the series to go. I laugh at the Butt Stallion jokes, because they are funny, but it ain't what I imagined Borderlands would become after really enjoying the first game's tone.

I think the thing which bugged me most about Tannis is how totally all over the place she is as a character. I think this is present in BL1 with the whole “dating my tape recorder” and random asides about how terrible music is, but it went to 11 along with everything else in BL2. So one minute she’s a schizophrenic who hallucinates that chairs are her friends, next she’s an agoraphobe with a crippling fear of social interaction, next she’s an extroverted nymphomaniac offering to gently caress total strangers.

Sure, these were all funny jokes, but it means Tannis doesn’t really have any sort of recogniseable personality other than “lol random”

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yep they got some lovely memelord for 2 to replace the writer for 1 who had to quit because of his multiple sclerosis from what I've read.

On the one hand, it gave us Tiny Tina and MR. TORGUE :torgue:

On the other, it gave us Battleborn, which could only be described as 'Gearbox as gently caress' (and if you've played both it and BL2, you'll know exactly what that means).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No one played battleborn so please we can ignore it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Also, I just realized that Musclesiren is probably Indian-ish, not black.

Like, the many arms thing, duh?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Pirate Jet posted:

That’s... weird. Is there some drama I don’t know about?

Other than him talking up during the lawsuit between Randy and the company's former lawyer, I guess Eddings just left around 2017 to join Rooster Teeth Games. Maybe he left because Gearbox was Gearbox, maybe he just thought publishing RWBY games was greener pastures at the time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Disappointed jetpacks don't seem to be returning

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is the Movies with Mikey guy the BL1 writer or BL2 writer?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Megazver posted:

Oh, good call! I liked playing sirens in 1 and 2 but idk about the melee-focused thing. I’ll probably wait until the skill trees drop to pick a class. It also sounds like siren stuff will be near the center of the plot again.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I never had a problem with the writing in 2, which is a little surprising as it's a tone I normally don't like... but it fit the game and I found some of it amusing, some eye-rolling but nothing that I objected to that much. IF you take away the zany stuff I actually quite like the story and the way it progresses. I'm always a little surprised that people think the writing in 1 was that much better but I think that's more because I don't remember 1 having that much of a story and it being more just moving from place to place and killing stuff. I might just have been oblivious to it at the time and treating it as a FPS where I can just ignore the story. I'll be paying more attention to it on my next play through which will probably be around.... maybe April the 3rd or something.

CJacobs posted:

Not sure I agree with that, but it's been a while since I played 1. Apart from Helena Pierce, what other notable characters did they ditch? (I guess there's any Atlas related stuff, but the switch from Atlas to Hyperion was set up in 1)

Given all four of the original Vault Hunters, Claptrap, Marcus, Scooter, Zed, Angel, Moxxi and Tannis feature heavily as NPCs it feels more like the opposite is to me.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 29, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The thing the first game did really well was set a tone for Pandora as a planet. It's a world so hostile to human life that people go crazy, and that makes is funny in a black comedy way. Then the DLCs for BL1 managed to keep that atmosphere running while ramping up storytelling and character development. There's a reason the General Knoxx dlc is so beloved.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's a reason the General Knoxx dlc is so beloved.

cause of the armory glitch?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Because it was HUGE, added neat new enemies and guns, an actual Raid Boss, and had a well written, funny antagonist.

And yes, the boss encounter being able to be glitched for epic loot hauls didn’t hurt.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

there's no way they patch that in the remaster, right?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's a reason the General Knoxx dlc is so beloved.

The lack of fast travel and having to fight through those same road blocks over and over again?

Kidding though, that was good DLC. With the exception of the arena ones in 1 and TPS the DLC for both 1 and 2 was pretty good in general imo

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

To this day I'll always remember that an advertised feature of General Knoxx's DLC was facial animations and lip syncing for characters, Athena and Scooter were the first NPC's to showcase this.

Prior to this every NPC wore a face mask or had no expressions whatsoever.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

BL1 was so long ago that I don't remember much about its writing, but at the time I liked Claptrap and BL2 sure beat that out of me. They also didn't bother to give the playable characters any personality until they became NPCs in the sequel, which was an odd choice. BL2 had highs and lows for sure, and when the jokes didn't land they tended to be really annoying. I'm sure it was also much funnier back then than it would be if I played it for the first time now. Then Tales came along and IMO really nailed the tone, was consistently pretty funny, and had good characters to boot. I think Gearbox needs to ape that as much as possible but I don't know if they can or if they even want to.

Also it can't be said enough that the bullet-spongey enemies and ridiculous scarcity of good loot need to stay in the past. If they deliver on those two things and also don't horribly gently caress up the writing, that's kind of all I need from them.

bring back Krieg

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm one of those people who thought BL2 was better than BL1. Yes it's me, supposedly That Guy.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I enjoyed 2 much more than I did 1, but that is probably because I never played 1.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

iospace posted:

I'm one of those people who thought BL2 was better than BL1. Yes it's me, supposedly That Guy.

Most people who've actually played them are That Guy.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
BL2 was great overall, sure some of the comedy fell flat and got a bit cringe-y but the actual gameplay was fun and the graphics looked great at the time. I agree with posters saying they should ape the tone of the Tales game more than doubling down on lolrandom but I'm not holding my breath.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I think 2 had better/more fun to play classes. Whoever said that none of the classes in TPS gelled with them, that was also my experience. I'll miss Oz kits and buttslams though. Maybe they'll show up on one of the planets. I haven't played 1 since the year it came out and honestly don't remember much about it to say what worked and what didn't but excited to play through it again.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kaysette posted:

BL2 was great overall, sure some of the comedy fell flat and got a bit cringe-y but the actual gameplay was fun and the graphics looked great at the time. I agree with posters saying they should ape the tone of the Tales game more than doubling down on lolrandom but I'm not holding my breath.

well anthony burch is gone so

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Megazver posted:

If you watch the video in high fidelity like 2k or 4k, you can tell she is very much south east asian. @ 1080p on small screens the subtleties are lost. She's alright also ripped to all hell.

exploded mummy posted:

I was doing some digging last night to see if anyone updated their voice over credits or production items and so far nope. I very much want Anthony Burch to write a DLC at the least, or some DLC characters :pray:

At least Ashly Burch and her zany Tiny Tina are back.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 29, 2019

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The biggest thing that kills my enthusiasm for replaying BL2 with a new character is the slow as balls pace before you hit Sanctuary, the Southern Shelf section is practically a warcrime in how long it feels, plus getting your class skill at level 5 is a huge ball-buster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

He also consulted and wrote on Tales.

Judge Tesla posted:

The biggest thing that kills my enthusiasm for replaying BL2 with a new character is the slow as balls pace before you hit Sanctuary, the Southern Shelf section is practically a warcrime in how long it feels, plus getting your class skill at level 5 is a huge ball-buster.

Definitely. Hopefully you get all of the abilities in the basic form in the first half-hour of the game.