Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Also have another track I cut from that EP.

https://soundcloud.com/pestilent-one/blasphemers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Panphage - Storm vinyl pre-order is up at Nordvis. Their best release imo.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Beloved Worm Wrangler is an amazing title.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
How did I not know about Véhémence? https://vehemencembm.bandcamp.com/ French medieval-themed black metal. 'Lyrical themes: Medieval sagas, Fantasy'.

Also whoever mentioned Afsky in this thread is a good person who has done me a great service. I can't get enough of their latest album, Sorg

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

antifacist activists keep getting Horna shows in the US cancelled and I think that's funny

anyway I've been listening to Panopticon and Falls of Rauros a lot, what's some more good nature or lord of the rings bm

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

antifacist activists keep getting Horna shows in the US cancelled and I think that's funny

anyway I've been listening to Panopticon and Falls of Rauros a lot, what's some more good nature or lord of the rings bm

I googled Sargeist the other day for some reason and the top result was a story about a German festival cancelling their appearance, because they're basically the same band as Horna, and... Horna had that Satanic Warmaster dork as a member for their first three albums? I guess? I genuinely don't know. Is there any more nazi dirt on Horna that I'm unaware of, because tbh that doesn't even register on my nazi scale, and I'm actually fairly pearl-clutchy when it comes to that stuff

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my bony fealty posted:

good nature or lord of the rings bm

Summoning

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Shatraug is kind of a Nazi, the present fuss is because he was in some poo poo act called “Blutschrei” in the mid-00s that nobody ever heard of.

my bony fealty posted:

good nature bm

Lluvia
Arkhtinn
Wedrujacy Wiatr
Cantique Lepreux
maybe Obsequiae?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
It's also because Spellgoth played keyboards in Peste Noire. It's all dumb.

my bony fealty posted:

good nature bm

Drudkh

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

Smirr posted:

Is there any more nazi dirt on Horna that I'm unaware of

This article goes into some depth - https://www.thedailybeast.com/horna-chaos-antifa-and-proud-boys-clash-over-black-metal-band-with-alleged-nazi-ties

The upshot: the band denies being far right, nationalist, or 'interested in politics' full stop, but has clear and consistent links with NSBM labels and bands. Also Shatraugh once played in a band with the some fairly NS lyrics.

Apparently Proud Boys are stepping in too, which is another layer of amusing

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

skasion posted:

Shatraug is kind of a Nazi, the present fuss is because he was in some poo poo act called “Blutschrei” in the mid-00s that nobody ever heard of.

Lluvia
Arkhtinn
Wedrujacy Wiatr
Cantique Lepreux
maybe Obsequiae?

Ah hm well, there it is. I guess by having been in well over 9000 bands, you can hide that kind of stuff in plain sight. For gently caress's sake

Wedrujacy Wiatr are nazis too btw. Check out Stworz and past (but better yet, don't)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Smirr posted:

Ah hm well, there it is. I guess by having been in well over 9000 bands, you can hide that kind of stuff in plain sight. For gently caress's sake

Wedrujacy Wiatr are nazis too btw. Check out Stworz and past (but better yet, don't)

Yeah I mean you can pick any random Eastern European black metal act and there’s 50/50 chance of Nazis, where the other 50 is “not Nazis but one of them played with Nazis at some point”

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

"Not interested in politics" from an Eastern European black metal band usually means they're Nazis or at least okay with Nazis.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

"Not interested in politics" from an Eastern European black metal band usually means they're Nazis or at least okay with Nazis.

It means that from any band from any country, or *putting on D&D hat* from any person for that matter

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Would be p cool if the black metal scene could stop being a big comfy couch for nazis sometime soon

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If only there were kinds of music that didnt fetishize evil violence for shock value 🤔

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

skasion posted:

If only there were kinds of music that didnt fetishize evil violence for shock value 🤔

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

skasion posted:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

skasion posted:

somehow death metal musicians manage to mostly be regular-rear end people

:thunk:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t even care if it’s an obvious gimmicky thing though that certainly allows a nice cover for the non out and open nazis. Lemmy loved his nazi poo poo and he was fine.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Would be p cool if the black metal scene could stop being a big comfy couch for nazis sometime soon

that's not going to happen because reactionary politics have been deeply embedded in black metal since at least the early 90s and large chunks of the black metal scenes in most countries don't have any issues with them

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Sargeist owns and I don't give a gently caress if they swing right a bit

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A human heart posted:

that's not going to happen because reactionary politics have been deeply embedded in black metal since at least the early 90s and large chunks of the black metal scenes in most countries don't have any issues with them

I understand but it doesn’t have to be like that. Genres and communities change and evolve. It’s worth pushing back against and not allowing bands to feel okay about putting out nsbm albums and having shows etc.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I understand but it doesn’t have to be like that. Genres and communities change and evolve. It’s worth pushing back against and not allowing bands to feel okay about putting out nsbm albums and having shows etc.

black metal is a very conservative(in the sense of being opposed to change) genre. most people involved have no interest in the sort of change you're suggesting, and very few younger people with different views are coming into the genre. and horna are not an nsbm band even if some of the members have dodgy connections, most outwardly nsbm shows are invite only or secret anyway.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A human heart posted:

black metal is a very conservative(in the sense of being opposed to change) genre. most people involved have no interest in the sort of change you're suggesting, and very few younger people with different views are coming into the genre. and horna are not an nsbm band even if some of the members have dodgy connections, most outwardly nsbm shows are invite only or secret anyway.

I don’t know, there’s a ton of fresh blood coming into the genre lately and that will only grow over time. Maybe the very core of the black metal genre is still opposed to change but tons of bands are taking the genre in different directions. Sound and ideology. I know what you’re saying but anyone associating with members holding these far right ties and such need to be pushed out until they cut those rear end in a top hat away. It’s a seemingly small platform but still shouldn’t be one that continues to allow nazis just because they mostly keep to themselves. That logic on a larger level has allowed far right violence and thought to infect a lot of communities.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PYF 80s proto black metal, I need more so I don’t just default to venom

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

somehow death metal musicians manage to mostly be regular-rear end people

:thunk:

It's so loving weird to me in the current climate that brutal death metal hasn't been subjected to the same scrutiny over that genre's rampant misogyny. Its popularity is marginal and the scene is pretty insular but still.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t know, there’s a ton of fresh blood coming into the genre lately and that will only grow over time. Maybe the very core of the black metal genre is still opposed to change but tons of bands are taking the genre in different directions. Sound and ideology. I know what you’re saying but anyone associating with members holding these far right ties and such need to be pushed out until they cut those rear end in a top hat away. It’s a seemingly small platform but still shouldn’t be one that continues to allow nazis just because they mostly keep to themselves. That logic on a larger level has allowed far right violence and thought to infect a lot of communities.

It'd help on a practical level if most of the explicitly lefty black metal bands didn't suck. I think a human heart is right though that the core of the scene just isn't interested in pushing bands like Horna out and that NS stuff is its own scene anyway so they're basically immune to that pressure.

deadking fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 29, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

deadking posted:

It's so loving weird to me in the current climate that brutal death metal hasn't been subjected to the same scrutiny over that genre's rampant misogyny. Its popularity is marginal and the scene is pretty insular but still.

I think that like black metal, death metal is weird enough to begin with that most people who listen to it really don’t get weirded out by the seriously creepy parts of the scene. If you can accept Scream Bloody Gore you can accept pretty much whatever, thematically speaking. That the creepy parts are a bit less pronounced, or at least less political, in death metal strikes me as a historical accident.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

deadking posted:

just wait another year or so, metalsucks will write a piece about how we shouldn't accept bands that promote rape culture and call for a boycott of Cannibal Corpse

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

skasion posted:

I think that like black metal, death metal is weird enough to begin with that most people who listen to it really don’t get weirded out by the seriously creepy parts of the scene. If you can accept Scream Bloody Gore you can accept pretty much whatever, thematically speaking. That the creepy parts are a bit less pronounced, or at least less political, in death metal strikes me as a historical accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry8-uIBiQNY

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Varg posted:

just wait another year or so, metalsucks will write a piece about how we shouldn't accept bands that promote rape culture and call for a boycott of Cannibal Corpse

Some of the early CC stuff makes me uncomfortable because Chris Barnes clearly loved writing songs about brutalizing women, which is frankly pretty creepy, and the loving gagging sounds in "Force Fed Broken Glass" are just unsettling, but I'll be god-damned if "Stripped, Raped and Strangled" doesn't have some of the best riffs ever written.

It's obviously done for shock/horror value but Barnes-era CC seems more rape obsessed than most death metal of the time.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the brutal dm bands with weird sci fi lyrics like wormed and demilich are leagues better than most of the rapey gorey junk

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Who listens to metal for the lyrics?

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
No one. I just thing the unevenly applied scrutiny is curious.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

let me tell you friend, when I first heard Dream Theater's The Count of Tuscany I wept, because I knew poetry had reached its apex

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Who listens to metal for the lyrics?
Yeah just scream about your groceries instead of all that gross poo poo.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Siivola posted:

You get it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

skasion posted:

Lluvia
Arkhtinn
Wedrujacy Wiatr
Cantique Lepreux
maybe Obsequiae?

these are all new to me thanks. I havent listened to Drudkh in a long time but I got the anti urban vinyl lying around somewhere and it's a sick one.

spending all day listening to early 90s weird death metal now tho \m/ currently spinning nocturnus

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Its always been about the riffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like a ton of metal lyrics. They don’t have to be literary masterpieces to be good lyrics.

But also,

Siivola posted:

This should be a thing