Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Argue posted:

Looks pretty marbled.

Until I move into my new place, the only cooking utilities available to me are a sous vide bath, an induction plate, and a blowtorch, so I don't think I can go with a more traditional way of cooking this.

How long and at what temp should I go for if I cut it into 3? I know chuck needs to have a long cook, but I don't know how to balance that out with the butcher telling us it's tender.

Edit: 3 pieces would make three 2-inch steaks, and also we apparently have a slow cooker that I've never used

It's begging for a smoker, but I would pressure cook or roast that before considering SV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baquerd posted:

It's begging for a smoker

drat yeah.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay, so following up on my question, I learned something about chuck this weekend: maybe this is well known to people who do steaks all the time but I only found this out now; if it says "chuck eye roll", that doesn't actually give enough information; you need to clarify which end of the chuck it is, because if it's from the end near the ribeye, then it is practically a ribeye and should be cooked as one. Which we did. About 3.5 hours and a sear later, we had a pretty great steak. No need for 48h or even 24. Of the 4kg of meat, we did half of it as steaks in the SV, and the other half as cubes in the pan. All were great and I also learned that 4kg of steak is too much even for 10 people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Argue posted:

I've never tried to sous vide something this big before; it's 4kg. How should this one go? The butcher said that it wouldn't need to be sous vided because it's wagyu, but that claim is suspect to me because it's still chuck, even if it's wagyu. I was thinking 24h at 134 F? Should I go with a different time/temp? The guests will be here in less than 48 hours so I can't do a 48 hour cook, although right now there's time to get close to that number.

I googled around and it said that if it comes from near the ribeye, then it's practically a ribeye and can just be cooked for a few hours, but I'm not sure if a chuck eye is from near the ribeye.

Am I a crazy person or does this say 7000 dollars?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Philippine Pesos. Roughly 135 USD. :)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Am I a crazy person or does this say 7000 dollars?

it's good meat, hollismason

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Argue posted:

Okay, so following up on my question, I learned something about chuck this weekend: maybe this is well known to people who do steaks all the time but I only found this out now; if it says "chuck eye roll", that doesn't actually give enough information; you need to clarify which end of the chuck it is, because if it's from the end near the ribeye, then it is practically a ribeye and should be cooked as one. Which we did. About 3.5 hours and a sear later, we had a pretty great steak. No need for 48h or even 24. Of the 4kg of meat, we did half of it as steaks in the SV, and the other half as cubes in the pan. All were great and I also learned that 4kg of steak is too much even for 10 people.

That's a nice looking steak.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Pork and beef in the sous-vide. Does adding alcohol help break down the meat like it does in a slow cooker?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Pork and beef in the sous-vide. Does adding alcohol help break down the meat like it does in a slow cooker?

I don't know about in the bag, but it certainly helps kill the waiting time!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Does alcohol do anything (other than add beer/wine/whisky flavors) in a slow cooker? I'd figure you'd just get a cloud of alcohol vapor in the air in the cooker after an hour or so at slow cooker temps, which would evaporate when you take the lid off.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

a foolish pianist posted:

Does alcohol do anything (other than add beer/wine/whisky flavors) in a slow cooker? I'd figure you'd just get a cloud of alcohol vapor in the air in the cooker after an hour or so at slow cooker temps, which would evaporate when you take the lid off.

Surprisingly little alcohol "cooks out" with most cooking methods. Other than adding specific flavors, the biggest reason to add alcohol to meat is to get normally low-solubility flavor/aroma compounds into solution without dealing with the separation issues you'd have with oil.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

poeticoddity posted:

Surprisingly little alcohol "cooks out" with most cooking methods. Other than adding specific flavors, the biggest reason to add alcohol to meat is to get normally low-solubility flavor/aroma compounds into solution without dealing with the separation issues you'd have with oil.

Speaking of which, I've noticed that a lot of fat soluble compounds are also alcohol soluble. What's the science behind that?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Speaking of which, I've noticed that a lot of fat soluble compounds are also alcohol soluble. What's the science behind that?

Water is polar. Ethanol and lipids are non-polar.
Polar solvents dissolve polar substances and non-polar solvents dissolve non-polar substances.
Ethanol, while being non-polar, is miscible with water, so it doesn't have to become an emulsion to stay mixed.

Fun fact: Above about 96% strength ethanol is hygroscopic and will actually self-dilute from ambient humidity if not kept sealed, hence the 190 proof (95%) max you see on distilled spirits.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

poeticoddity posted:

Fun fact: Above about 96% strength ethanol is hygroscopic and will actually self-dilute from ambient humidity if not kept sealed, hence the 190 proof (95%) max you see on distilled spirits.

How would you even ethanol above 96% considering it's azeotropic? :confuoot:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jan posted:

How would you even ethanol above 96% considering it's azeotropic? :confuoot:

Specialized filter, or you can add a third component (benzene) to allow other distillation.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

poeticoddity posted:

Water is polar. Ethanol and lipids are non-polar.
Polar solvents dissolve polar substances and non-polar solvents dissolve non-polar substances.
Ethanol, while being non-polar, is miscible with water, so it doesn't have to become an emulsion to stay mixed.

Awesome, thanks.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

ulmont posted:

Specialized filter, or you can add a third component (benzene) to allow other distillation.

An additional option is to add a non-soluble material that's hygroscopic enough to pull the water out of the azeotrope.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ulmont posted:

poeticoddity posted:

An additional option is to add a non-soluble material that's hygroscopic enough to pull the water out of the azeotrope.
Theoretically correct, although this isn't how ethanol for consumption is distilled. Everclear is 95% ethanol because that's as high as you can get via fractional distillation, not because it was once 100% ethanol and got diluted down to 95%.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

SubG posted:

Theoretically correct, although this isn't how ethanol for consumption is distilled. Everclear is 95% ethanol because that's as high as you can get via fractional distillation, not because it was once 100% ethanol and got diluted down to 95%.

Yeah, we're well off the rails for a food thread, but any method of making ethanol over the 95% max you see for human consumption is intended to make specifically anhydrous alcohol for scientific, industrial, fuel, or other purposes. If, however, you took anhydrous ethanol and exposed it to the atmosphere, it would self dilute, so you don't even see 96+% stuff as a marketing gimmick.

... though if the water absorption rate exceeded the evaporation rate, in theory, you could pour a level shot which would eventually spill itself, which is pretty neat.

Back on topic, anyone got suggestions for vegetables other than corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots that handle freezer-to-sous vide well?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Has anyone here attempted the mayo sear? I have been trying to perfect my sear game. I found the blow torch lack luster and didn't give me the sear I wanted. Lately I have been using rice bran oil and a ripping hot cast iron. I drop a dallop of butter in the pan then drop the steak right on top and sear for a brief period of time.

This definitely works, and my steaks have been great but the may sear has me curious.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've never really dug the mayo sear tbh. I don't like it on grilled cheese either.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

a foolish pianist posted:

https://sousvidereviews.com/2017/02/13/using-sous-vide-to-make-yummy-vodka-infusions/

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Once I get my circulator unpacked after the move I am going to use this to try pickle vodka. Perhaps also a pickle and horseradish vodka. Pray for me.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Whoa, I never considered using heat to do fast infusions like this. I don't really see what using SV would add instead of just, y'know, simmering, but gently caress it, the circulator's easy to set up. I might have to try this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Whalley posted:

Whoa, I never considered using heat to do fast infusions like this. I don't really see what using SV would add instead of just, y'know, simmering, but gently caress it, the circulator's easy to set up. I might have to try this.

Much less likely to burn stuff that settles on the bottom, I’d think, and less likely to get it too hot generally.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Much less likely to burn stuff that settles on the bottom, I’d think, and less likely to get it too hot generally.

If you are doing booze you need to be careful in heating it up as it has a lower boiling point than water alcohol at 173.1 F water 212F. So it's a bit safer in retaining abv.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If you want to infuse alcohol you’re better off just using Everclear and not worrying about heating it. You get more extraction when the solvent concentration is higher, and you can just dilute it down to 80 proof when you’re done.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

ada shatan posted:

Once I get my circulator unpacked after the move I am going to use this to try pickle vodka. Perhaps also a pickle and horseradish vodka. Pray for me.

Sounds like a good flu remedy. Pickle as in adding dill, or adding vinegar?

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

Sounds like a good flu remedy. Pickle as in adding dill, or adding vinegar?

As in adding pickle brine.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

ada shatan posted:

As in adding pickle brine.

Straight horseradish may be an interesting infusion, but pickle brine vodka makes more sense as a shot. In terms of chemistry, I mean. The actual drink makes no drat sense at all.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

Totally Reasonable posted:

Straight horseradish may be an interesting infusion, but pickle brine vodka makes more sense as a shot. In terms of chemistry, I mean. The actual drink makes no drat sense at all.

We're not here to make sense, dammit, we're here to make things try and taste like pickles.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Is it possible to break up a long sous vide cook time, for instance two 12 hour cooks instead of one 24?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

Is it possible to break up a long sous vide cook time, for instance two 12 hour cooks instead of one 24?

If you chill it properly in between, and account for the extra time of getting back up to temp.

Food safety wise you want to minimize the time the food spends in the "danger zone" for bacterial growth so an ice bath to cool down is recommended.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

what circumstance would that be something that you would want to do?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Seems like a bad idea. Why do this?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

what circumstance would that be something that you would want to do?

Despite plenty of evidence to the contrary my wife is not ok with it being on while we're not home due to a concern something could go wrong.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Despite plenty of evidence to the contrary my wife is not ok with it being on while we're not home due to a concern something could go wrong.

:sever:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I don't like having stuff run when I am not home either. The risk is minimal but still. That's why I do long cooks on weekends I am home only.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Hopper posted:

I dunno, I don't like having stuff run when I am not home either. The risk is minimal but still. That's why I do long cooks on weekends I am home only.

Are you also afraid to leave fans on while you sleep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Off to work. Wait, forgot to disconnect the fridge.