Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This conversation sucks, let's post pokemon gifs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Vinylshadow posted:

Old enough for her doppelganger in another universe to have a ten-year-old daughter

bwuh???

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The Pokémon I Choose You movie introduced a new female companion named Verity whose personality is similar to Misty's and is from Sinnoh and has a Piplup for a starter.

There's a short scene where she's scrolling through her smartphone when she sees a pic of her mother who might or might not be Cynthia.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

From I Choose You, the 20th movie

Well, it's not explicitly confirmed that it's Cynthia, but there's a fair few similarities (hair and being from Sinnoh, mostly)

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I've always assumed the player character was my own age, which worked out well when these games started right up until they went 3D and suddenly it didn't make sense my character is so much shorter than everyone over the age of 25

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think S/M/US/UM are the only games to expressly say your playing as an 11 year old?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Golden Gael posted:

I've always assumed the player character was my own age, which worked out well when these games started right up until they went 3D and suddenly it didn't make sense my character is so much shorter than everyone over the age of 25

I'm 5'3", I don't get what you're going on about?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

I think S/M/US/UM are the only games to expressly say your playing as an 11 year old?

The Gen 1 manuals and ORAS also say that explicitly (though in ORAS you’re 12).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
adults definitely shouldn't be doing any shipping at all in the pokeuniverse, full stop. although tbf when I was a wee lad I definitely "shipped" myself with Jessie

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

same but meowth (that's right!)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I ship Jessie/James/crimes.

It is the best ship.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It is the best ship.

Every ship pales in comparison to Hardenshipping

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if it turned out the Roswell Incident was the beginning of a long-term alien conspiracy to make humans be attracted to animals via popular media, I wouldn't be all that surprised

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I ship Guzma with me because he’s my boy and also very handsome.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Speaking of Jessie and James, another thought as I watch the anime: the Team Rocket trio are great characters when the writers have actual ideas for them (giving them humanizing moments, having them come up with actually clever plans for capturing Pikachu that almost work, getting them involved in Lupin III-style multi-sided heist antics). But the role they play in the more formulaic episodes, where they attempt schemes almost identical to ones that have failed multiple times before in order to give the character of the day an opponent to show off against and/or pad the episode by a few minutes, is really annoying. I think it would have been better if they showed up around every other episode, instead of being in nearly every episode.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

less laughter posted:

Every ship pales in comparison to Hardenshipping

I feel an immediate kinship with you now. That's a drat good ship.

Silver2195 posted:

Speaking of Jessie and James, another thought as I watch the anime: the Team Rocket trio are great characters when the writers have actual ideas for them (giving them humanizing moments, having them come up with actually clever plans for capturing Pikachu that almost work, getting them involved in Lupin III-style multi-sided heist antics). But the role they play in the more formulaic episodes, where they attempt schemes almost identical to ones that have failed multiple times before in order to give the character of the day an opponent to show off against and/or pad the episode by a few minutes, is really annoying. I think it would have been better if they showed up around every other episode, instead of being in nearly every episode.

Mostly because the writing for the anime is rear end and the whole point is pushing these characters endlessly then resetting them instead of bothering to make a good product. Not to mention I'm slowly coming to the realization that the Detective Pikachu movie is literally everything I've ever wanted out of pokemon media. If the anime had a set idea of a plot to follow instead of a vague "BE DA BEST" motif and interesting concrete goals I wouldn't be half as lovely towards it as I am. The bitterness stems from the fact they could just literally do any kind of plot : a sports movie, slice of life, horror etc. and add pokemon and it would still be great.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 29, 2019

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

A couple of streamers I watched playing Sun or Moon got really butthurt when their age was "confirmed" as 11 because it took all their immersion away.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Alxprit posted:

A couple of streamers I watched playing Sun or Moon got really butthurt when their age was "confirmed" as 11 because it took all their immersion away.

I got butthurt my character's expression was frozen into a disturbing vacant stare no matter the circumstances. Then it just became hilarious.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Next game should let you choose your age and have it affect the dialogue sometimes, like how on occasion your gender affects it.

"Doing the gym challenge at your age, huh? That's, uh, that's cool... you'll probably see my 12-year-old at the same things. Stay away from him, though."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I feel an immediate kinship with you now. That's a drat good ship.

Mostly because the writing for the anime is rear end and the whole point is pushing these characters endlessly then resetting them instead of bothering to make a good product. Not to mention I'm slowly coming to the realization that the Detective Pikachu movie is literally everything I've ever wanted out of pokemon media. If the anime had a set idea of a plot to follow instead of a vague "BE DA BEST" motif and interesting concrete goals I wouldn't be half as lovely towards it as I am. The bitterness stems from the fact they could just literally do any kind of plot : a sports movie, slice of life, horror etc. and add pokemon and it would still be great.

The Pokemon anime actually does do those kinds of varied plots, sort of. It's arguably a form of lack of creativity, though; I believe there are at least 4 separate episodes that are Romeo and Juliet pastiches, for example. Also a lot of Kurosawa movie pastiches (like the Yojimbo one with the warring Gyms, or the Seven Samurai one with the Diglett thieves).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 29, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

The Pokemon anime actually does do those kinds of varied plots, sort of. It's arguably a form of lack of creativity, though; I believe there are at least 4 separate episodes that are Romeo and Juliet pastiches, for example. Also a lot of Kurosawa movie pastiches (like the Yojimbo one with the warring Gyms, or the Seven Samurai one with the Diglett thieves).

I meant with different characters and making an entire series around one of these ideas instead an episode that they'll inevitably retread down the road. It's so weird to watch them do it too because it's like they know the show's boring as gently caress and they're desperately trying to make these characters interesting but it's been decades, it's not salvageable to me at this point. I know other people enjoy it and that's fine because it's not like I'm forced to watch, but I'd appreciate alternatives to the current anime. Hence my Detective Pikachu excitement. I do wish they'd gotten Danny Devito tho.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Note Block posted:

I ship Guzma with me because he’s my boy and also very handsome.

At least with Guzma it's undeniable he's an adult since a core part of his character is that he failed to become a Trial Captain, a job with a cut-off age of 20, meaning our boy Guzma is at least that age, likely somewhat older.

Hell, he seems to be the same age as Kukui, who's married (too bad about his rocky marriage due to his wife's unrequited love for the Masked Royal though)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Silver2195 posted:

That's what Sun and Moon does. They actually spent about 10 episodes without even showing up, and when they did last week, they weren't doing any schemes but were rather one of the victims of the Ultra Beast and their mom, Bewear, saved the day as previously posted.

Hell, I think at this point in SM, less than half of their evil plots involve stealing a pokemon. There's a much better ratio of them legitimately earning stuff like their Z-Crystals.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's what Sun and Moon does. They actually spent about 10 episodes without even showing up, and when they did last week, they weren't doing any schemes but were rather one of the victims of the Ultra Beast and their mom, Bewear, saved the day as previously posted.

Hell, I think at this point in SM, less than half of their evil plots involve stealing a pokemon. There's a much better ratio of them legitimately earning stuff like their Z-Crystals.

It actually started even further back. The 16th episode of the Black and White anime (Ash's rematch with Lenora) was the first episode that the Team Rocket Trio didn't appear in any capacity since the very first episode of the anime. Then these "Team Rocketless" episodes became more common as different plots that didn't have them shoehorned in somewhere were created.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like to catch the pokemans and feed them berries and make them murder each other. I don't like imagining romantic relationships involving preteens from the pokeman games.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

source

And that's why Pidgeot was released

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hustlin Floh posted:

I like to catch the pokemans and feed them berries and make them murder each other. I don't like imagining romantic relationships involving preteens from the pokeman games.

yeah but what about between the pokemon though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

indigi posted:

yeah but what about between the pokemon though.

Oh? Are we allowed to speak about the love that dare not speak it's name now?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I ship ditto and ditto, you can’t stop me.

Nodosaur posted:

source

Hey, where’s my boy Haunter?

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 30, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Oh? Are we allowed to speak about the love that dare not speak it's name now?

considering most of us run veritable gently caress farms to keep our pokéugenics programs going, I'd say shipping pokemon with other pokemon (mostly Ditto) is more or less fine

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pidgeotto had fights?!

The experiment to make the Rocket trio more menacing in BW was interesting, but ultimately sucked their personality, got rocked due to the earthquake that cancelled a couple of big episodes and it didn't matter if they were more competent since they lost anyway, usually in ways they always did, so it didn't really matter, you just had them appear in seven episodes beforehand to "setup" whatever thing they were doing. XY and SM were much better at balancing the trio.

They even had some fun in DP, Jessie got all 5 of her contest ribbons pretty legit, especially when she got her 4th, it was a completely separate plot to what Ash was doing and she won pretty handily. And then the 3rd contest had her too ill to participate, so James entered disguised as her and actually beat Dawn. That's the fun stuff I love seeing from them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The anime just always neglects Ash's birds, in Johto he had a goddamn shiny Noctowl that was barely used.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Nodosaur posted:

source

Muh boy bulbasaur knew he had to leave Ash in order to keep that win percentage. To be fair to Pidgeotto, he was essentially the Worf of the early episodes where he was Ash's only big bruiser who existed to job for the Mon of the week. And once Ash started to get a fuller team he stops getting used because he's not as marketable.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The anime just always neglects Ash's birds, in Johto he had a goddamn shiny Noctowl that was barely used.

To be fair, Hoothoot was my first every shiny and once it evolved to Noctowl it stopped pulling it's weight on the team and got boxed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rowlet is doing ok.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Can somebody pop in a link to the trade thread please? I have couple requests I'd like to make and I'm having trouble finding it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I completely forgot that Ash had a Muk.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

I completely forgot that Ash had a Muk.

I very much remember the time he won was extremely badass to 12 y/o me. Muk was a very good boy that just wanted to hug Ash.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Flopsy posted:

Can somebody pop in a link to the trade thread please? I have couple requests I'd like to make and I'm having trouble finding it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837723

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Much obliged! :D