Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

What We Do in the Shadows is back... in TV show form! Why does this not have a thread?

The vampire mockumentary created by Flight of the Concords alumni started as a very enjoyable movie released in 2014 and premiered tonight on FX reborn as a TV show. It's funny! It's entertaining! Watch it, and then talk about it here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It does have a thread, you just made it!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Was not expecting Doug Jones to show up, made my night.

I was really worried about this show when I saw the new cast, and later the new location, but that pilot was excellent.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyway the premiere was really good. Exactly like the movie in the best way. And I loved Doug Jones’ appearance.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This was awesome and when the Baron showed up my wife goes "Is that Doug Jones?". He was awesome and really, really funny.

Energy Vampire is probably my favorite character so far but I love the whole thing so far. I'm also really curious where the season's going to go because they set up a few interesting plot points by the end of this.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Mark Proksch’s face when he’s sharpening pencils. And the flashbulb photo when Gregor Jeff is jerking off. This was good.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The way Matt Berry said "sexual" in the pilot made me do a legit spit take.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"BAT!"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Hilarious episode, picked right up where the movie left off. I really hope we get to see our favorite gang of swear-wolves.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I liked how the energy vampire doesn't have any special effects for what he does. There's no evidence, so far at least, that he's not just a normal, incredibly boring, annoying, human with delusions of being a vampire.

Also, the special effects and interiors were really well done for basic cable.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I loved the movie but haven’t seen the show yet.

However my mom watched it and said it was hilarious so I’ll get around to it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

caligulamprey posted:

When the harbormaster was trying to get them to sign for the Baron's coffin:

"Do you have a quill?"
"No, it's all digital."
"I'm not signing that!" *storms away*

His pure disgust was amazing. I've know older folks who reject any changes with technology, and he nailed it perfectly with that delivery.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Chiming in with another "loved the movie, loved the pilot" voice for the chorus. Guillermo's rebellion at the end of the episode cracked me up and I wonder how his story is going to shake out. His sheer terror after the other familiar was eaten was also great.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I was a little worried the pilot was just going to be a total rehash of the movie and was pleasantly surprised that wasn't the case really. Couple of similar elements and character traits, but more than enough different and seems to be making good use of the location change.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

OutOfPrint posted:

I liked how the energy vampire doesn't have any special effects for what he does. There's no evidence, so far at least, that he's not just a normal, incredibly boring, annoying, human with delusions of being a vampire.

Also, the special effects and interiors were really well done for basic cable.

I'd have to rewatch but I'm pretty certain his eyes glowed/glinted blue in a couple scenes where he's fed. Also presumably the other vampires wouldn't be able to be harmed by him if he wasn't real.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Zachack posted:

I'd have to rewatch but I'm pretty certain his eyes glowed/glinted blue in a couple scenes where he's fed. Also presumably the other vampires wouldn't be able to be harmed by him if he wasn't real.

I only noticed it at the end but yeah, when he walks out of the room after "draining" the two virgins his eyes definitely glow for a second.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed that, especially the deviation from the film with the vampire couple. Matt Berry was excellent of course but I was pleasantly surprised by Natasia Demetriou, especially the stuff with her and Gregor-Jeff ("I forgot what a raconteur you were!") - really, the whole cast were good ("Creepy paper!"), and the Baron's sudden pause when he notices the camera crew was golden.

For whatever reason, what made me laugh the most was Matt Berry's delivery on,"This place is loving massive!" when talking about America.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Loved it. I'm an embittered jaded internet weird but it actually made me laugh out loud.

Laterite posted:

Hilarious episode, picked right up where the movie left off. I really hope we get to see our favorite gang of swear-wolves.

We definitely will, there's a brief werewolf piss scene in the series trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7txgntycjBE&t=71s
And a really brief massive bipedal wolfman later on

Enderzero posted:

Mark Proksch’s face when he’s sharpening pencils.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 30, 2019

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Never got around to seeing the movie. The commercials for the show didn't make the show out to look appealing.....but I'll give it a shot. Flight of the Conchords was a really solid show.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

I only noticed it at the end but yeah, when he walks out of the room after "draining" the two virgins his eyes definitely glow for a second.

Huh. I'm actually a little disappointed in that. It would've been funnier to have him be a delusional guy who falls into a fantasy of being an energy vampire rather than just a boring rear end in a top hat.

Still a great character, though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Davros1 posted:

When the harbormaster was trying to get them to sign for the Baron's coffin:

"Do you have a quill?"
"No, it's all digital."
"I'm not signing that!" *storms away*

His pure disgust was amazing. I've know older folks who reject any changes with technology, and he nailed it perfectly with that delivery.

That whole thing was hilarious, because vampires are dead, see, and they don't produce any static electricity for the touchscreen to recognize, that's why they had to use Guillermo to touch it for them.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Is there anywhere legal I can watch this in Canada?

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
HBO streaming thing has it in finland, so would assume they have it in canada too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

It's just that if you were going to make a thread, you would prefer if nobody had hosed it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Should have made the thread out of glitter. Or creepy paper.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

The way Matt Berry says anything is really funny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Something I loved is that, even though Nandor thought it had been 2 years instead of 10, he at least knows Guillermo well enough that he made him look like Antonio Banderas in his glitter portrait :3:

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Never got around to seeing the movie. The commercials for the show didn't make the show out to look appealing.....but I'll give it a shot. Flight of the Conchords was a really solid show.

Obviously you're gonna get skewed feedback from a thread for a tv show based on the movie... but the movie is really, really, really, really loving good and you should check it out.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Something I loved is that, even though Nandor thought it had been 2 years instead of 10, he at least knows Guillermo well enough that he made him look like Antonio Banderas in his glitter portrait :3:

Obviously you're gonna get skewed feedback from a thread for a tv show based on the movie... but the movie is really, really, really, really loving good and you should check it out.

Boom. Done. It's on my "to do being watched" list.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It should be on Amazon Prime.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

It should be on Amazon Prime.

I've got that. It'll have to wait until basketball is done though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Energy vampire is the best but I'm not convinced he's an actual undead monster, I think he just sucks the life from the room metaphorically which would make it 10x funnier.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

muscles like this! posted:

The way Matt Berry says anything is really funny.

His delivery on any line is golden. The way he said 'Yes!' in the one scene just made me think of Steven Toast playing the role of a vampire.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

wormil posted:

Energy vampire is the best but I'm not convinced he's an actual undead monster, I think he just sucks the life from the room metaphorically which would make it 10x funnier.

Either way works but I'm also hoping he's just some boring guy. His line that was like "We're the most common type of vampire, you probably work with at least one of us." was pretty amazing.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.

Davros1 posted:

Should have made the thread out of glitter. Or creepy paper.

I was not prepared for 'crepe'/'creepy' paper.
Such an amazing start!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I could just watch Nadja by herself for an hour, her facial expressions are goddamn hilarious. This show is way better than I was expecting.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

LadyPictureShow posted:

His delivery on any line is golden. The way he said 'Yes!' in the one scene just made me think of Steven Toast playing the role of a vampire.

I can only watch one episode in a row of Toast of London, the man is too much and I mean that in a nice way

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I like Toast Of London but I couldn't tell you what actually happens in one given episode to the next. I'd be happy if the show was nothing but Toast in the recording booth yelling at Clem Fandango.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Really great pilot, I hope they can keep it up throughout the whole season. It weaves so effortlessly between the dramatic and the comedic, I really hope they do more with the baron, honestly I love the few bits of actual lore they throw in here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I kind of wonder is if Jemaine Clement wrote the episode after they cast Matt Berry or did they let Matt just kind of throw in whatever he wanted because that character was just chock full of Matt Berry-isms.