Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Paladinus posted:

Now I firmly support a no deal Brexit.

:haibrow:

fat goony fedora catmen. anime has gone to far

snergle has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Mar 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

i think people were zombies before phones in situations like 'sitting on the bus' and 'walking around amongst strangers', they just stared into space like, uh, zombies instead of immersing themselves in the world their cell phone opens to them

I'm a millennial, but still old enough to have grown up for part of my life without daily Internet access and never had a smartphone until I was an adult. When you didn't want to be social, you just read a book that you brought or stared into space. It's not like people were chatting constantly with strangers because they had nothing better to do.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It was much easier to hide behind a newspaper.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's also how a down on their luck private eye could stealthily track the low level mob affiliate who stole the young widows antique brooch before being dragged into a life changing case with ramifications spreading all the way to the LA governor's office.

edit:
Guess that's just a longer way of saying hide yourself, but used for good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"How do you do, chum. Might I trouble you for the time? My pocket-watch has- ah, I see. You've your airpods in. Cheerio."

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Ugh, the worst is when you have headphones on and you're reading something and people still try to talk to you.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Bees on Wheat posted:

Ugh, the worst is when you have headphones on and you're reading something and people still try to talk to you.

I bring books into work and people constantly ask me what I'm reading. I wouldn't mind except I mostly read pulpy sci fi/ fantasy and I'm too embarrassed to explain the premise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

grittyreboot posted:

I bring books into work and people constantly ask me what I'm reading. I wouldn't mind except I mostly read pulpy sci fi/ fantasy and I'm too embarrassed to explain the premise.

I stopped asking what people were reading when literally every time I saw a co-worker reading a book they'd start with "oh so this girl gets abducted, raped, and brutally murdered so--" or "this woman gets raped so--" and I decided there was a genre there I wasn't into hearing about.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li9u7GWKh-s

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

THE SCIENCE OF SODOMY AN EROTIC CYBORG ADVENTURE

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This is so loving painful.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...

I was fully expecting them to dab at the end.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm a millennial, but still old enough to have grown up for part of my life without daily Internet access and never had a smartphone until I was an adult. When you didn't want to be social, you just read a book that you brought or stared into space. It's not like people were chatting constantly with strangers because they had nothing better to do.

Older millennial here. I can confirm this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Older millennial here. I can confirm this.

To this day sometimes I just wear headphones so people won't talk to me. They're not even attached to anything.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Headphones aren't a deterrent if you're a lady. Too many times I've had men mime talking at me to get my attention and then laugh about how I couldn't hear them even though I could hear just fine, and if I say that with headphones still in place, I get the "Awww you're no fun!"

And then if you happen to be reading something they tell you to smile more. My response is always deadpan "I'm reading." but they keep trying to talk anyway.

I hate people.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Picnic Princess posted:

Headphones aren't a deterrent if you're a lady. Too many times I've had men mime talking at me to get my attention and then laugh about how I couldn't hear them even though I could hear just fine, and if I say that with headphones still in place, I get the "Awww you're no fun!"

And then if you happen to be reading something they tell you to smile more. My response is always deadpan "I'm reading." but they keep trying to talk anyway.

I hate people.

Yeah but if he just tries hard enough you’ll see what an awesome guy he is.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
But why would :females: not want to talk to me, the guy who asks them to stop what they're doing so I can stutter and sweat at them?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Yup

(Artie Lange)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Picnic Princess posted:

I hate people.

Can confirm. I was on the metro once, and the douchebag next to me pulled out one of my earbuds to tell me I smelled nice.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

Can confirm. I was on the metro once, and the douchebag next to me pulled out one of my earbuds to tell me I smelled nice.
Holy poo poo. :murder:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I am an extraordinarily chill person and having an earbud accidentally torn out of my ear by my own movement makes me unjustifiably angry. I cannot imagine the gall of someone who would do that on purpose to someone else. They have to know they're pissing you off.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Was he saying you smelt nice or the earbud? Dude is probably an ear-wax freak.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Yup

(Artie Lange)

I'm just constantly amazed he is still alive.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

this reminds me of how ubiquitous newspapers were, at least in the big cities. in New York or London I get the impression you had multiple competing papers, all in their own ideological bubble, in like four time slots: the morning paper you read at breakfast and on the train, the lunch paper you read while pretending to work, the afternoon paper for the train ride home, and a night paper for sitting around at home

now I'm surely exaggerating a little, likely especially about the time slots, but mass produced newspapers are arguably the first time humankind found out how addictive content is, as we call it now

that picture also reminds me of some author talking about how her dad took that long island railway home from work every day and at least some of them just drank like insane people on those trains so they could be hardcore drunk by the time they had to see their family again. also there was a really bad train wreck that got talked about in that book

I realize this isn't AUG but I post in defiance

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

text me a vag pic posted:

THE SCIENCE OF SODOMY AN EROTIC CYBORG ADVENTURE
Link? I can't find it on Amazon

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I remember the free papers that existed solely to be read on the train/bus on the way home from work. (In Melbourne it was MX, I think Sydney's was SX?) There would be people stood at the gates of the stations in the City Loop from 4-5PM handing them out. They were lovely tabloid rags, but if you were going all the way to Frankston, (as I was), it gave you something to do on the train.

I haven't had to 9-5 weekday commute in Australia for years now, so I dunno if they still exist.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Deified Data posted:

I am an extraordinarily chill person and having an earbud accidentally torn out of my ear by my own movement makes me unjustifiably angry. I cannot imagine the gall of someone who would do that on purpose to someone else. They have to know they're pissing you off.

Like, a normal person would probably tap a person on the shoulder and say 'I like that perfume you have on.' But nooooo, that would respect personal space.

It only ranked slightly lower than the other thing that creeps me out ear-wise. I have a lot of blingy ear piercings. Normal people might say 'I like that blue and white piece' or pinch their own ear to indicate which one they mean. Weird assholes reach out and touch my ear, even if it's one of rook or conch piercings, which is inside my ear.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

oystertoadfish posted:

there was a really bad train wreck that got talked about in that book

Atlas Shrugged? The train wreck IS the book though so it might not be it

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the actual book I was thinking of was this by a historian who decided to write about her childhood as a dodgers fan

https://www.amazon.com/Wait-Till-Next-Year-Memoir/dp/0684847957

and I think this was the train crash

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kew_Gardens_train_crash

just to put that out there

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Crossposting from GBS

A site called Cameo was discovered that let's anyone sling some cash to c through z grade celebrities in exchange for short little messages. Most are harmless little marriage proposals, get wells, or happy birthdays. Some are hilarious (Norm MacDonald and most of the pro-wrestlers who are too carny to give a gently caress). Unfortunately though some are the most awkward poo poo that's ever been filmed:

Tip posted:

Sean Astin has low self esteem, every video he made includes a part where he says, "I don't know if you know who I am... I'm Sean Astin, you know, the actor from Lord of the Rings and Rudy? Encino Man?"

Here's a really awkward video of Sean Astin asking a woman who's about to get married to give her ex-boyfriend a second chance.
https://d3el26csp1xekx.cloudfront.net/v/wm-5c8d38c769a75b014bc549dc.mp4

How's your favorite D+ celeb faring?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

BrigadierSensible posted:

I remember the free papers that existed solely to be read on the train/bus on the way home from work. (In Melbourne it was MX, I think Sydney's was SX?) There would be people stood at the gates of the stations in the City Loop from 4-5PM handing them out. They were lovely tabloid rags, but if you were going all the way to Frankston, (as I was), it gave you something to do on the train.

I haven't had to 9-5 weekday commute in Australia for years now, so I dunno if they still exist.

Sadly MX has been dead for 3-4 years. I miss reading the horrifically awkward missed connections section on the ride home.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I'd tear through the crossword puzzle in the free conservative rag on the subway to work. Then on my way home I'd challenge myself to completing the slightly harder free liberal rag crossword puzzle.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Crossposting from GBS

A site called Cameo was discovered that let's anyone sling some cash to c through z grade celebrities in exchange for short little messages. Most are harmless little marriage proposals, get wells, or happy birthdays. Some are hilarious (Norm MacDonald and most of the pro-wrestlers who are too carny to give a gently caress). Unfortunately though some are the most awkward poo poo that's ever been filmed:

:stare:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Yup

(Artie Lange)

Dude looks like a pug given human form.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Kaethela posted:

Dude looks like a pug given human form.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

The penis really draws the face together.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the tiny little testicles pretending to be weird protuberant nostrils (assuming bilateral symmetry) are a great touch

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Crossposting from GBS

Fuckin hell he clearly did not sign up for this kind of poo poo but the guy paid him probably a fair bit of cash and uh well better take a crack at it I guess. Poor Sean Astin, he seems a really nice guy doing his best :smith:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yep, same thing happened to me in San Francisco but to tell me I looked nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007