Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Discovery has maybe a better enjoyment average in your first watch but I have a hard time seeing myself ever watching any episode of Discovery again (at least on purpose). Even Voyager and Enterprise have enough strong episodes and some decently done story arcs which makes rewatching them somewhat rewarding but Discovery? I just don't see it and it's not just because it is serialized, there are just no stand-out episodes in Discovery. Take Game of Thrones as example. It's a heavily serialized TV show and has certainly lost quality in the last few seasons but there are plenty of episodes which are still strong enough on their own and I can certainly imagine that I'll do a couple of rewatches in the future.
I just can't see myself ever enjoying a rewatch of the stuff Discovery has produced so far because it heavily relies on "twists" and there isn't really much depth to their serialized story arcs (or the characters for that matter). I can rewatch Ds9 for the 10th time and still get enthralled by the whole Dominion arc, how characters like Sisko, Garak, Bashir, Nog and so on (I could really name every main character of that show) grow over the seasons but Discovery's spore drive/klingon war/Mirror universe plots in season one or now the Red Angel thing in season 2 and Burnham/Spock? That will never be on that level and a rewatch will be even worse because so much of Discovery only relies on the "what crazy things might happen next" question while only one character gets any real attention and that character is just not able to carry the show at all.
It is kind of sad that we even have to compare Discovery to the very weak entries that Voyager and Enterprise were (and oh my god was Enterprise bad with it's whole temporal cold war, glad that we will never try a serialized story based around time travel ever again...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Discovery is a more interesting show than VOY because it’s very bad in interesting ways. Voyager is a better show but it’s blandness makes it forgettable.

quote:

Discovery is like Hillary Clinton or Justin Trudeau, they spend a lot of money paying lip service to the kinds of things people like to get support and then boom war crimes

Amazingly prescient.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well I have loathed Hillary for 25+ years, so that explains my reaction to Discovery.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

galenanorth posted:

"Equinox" (S06E01) would, in modern times, be a reference to how Yemeni children are metaphorically in our gas tanks

I agree with Ronald Moore's criticisms in the Memory Alpha wiki entry. The stresses that Janeway was under during the episode weren't really greater than anything else Voyager had faced. I liked the two-parter other than that aspect.

That seems like a weird criticism - Janeway takes it harder because she's been betrayed by a fellow Starfleet captain, not just dealing with some random forehead alien. It's like saying "For the Uniform" doesn't make any sense because Sisko doesn't normally let people get under his skin like Eddington does.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Having made it to E08S01, the point beyond which I did not continue when it aired initially, my opinion of the show is higher than it was then. I don’t know if it’s because I lowered my expectations or if I just can appreciate where it hits and let go of what it misses. It’s pretty fun, and while maybe it runs into issues the movie reboots also ran into, it’s not as bad in my opinion.

Although the tone of the Mudd episode, where he goes all Murder on the Disco and then it kinda ends with a weird TNG style “well isn’t it strange how other cultures can behave” but after he’d been murdering them dozens of times on repeat.
That’s still weird.

Based on comments I’ve seen here though (well into season 2?) it sounds like the writing really tries to vindicate some of the more awful things done on the ship? Like Lorca is a straight up villain where I am now. Or maybe that’s not what people are talking about.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

skasion posted:

Voyager and Enterprise are more boring but Disco is more disappointing. This isn’t some third order spin off like Voy and Ent where everyone involved has already made over 9000 episodes for half of each year since 1990 and can’t think of anything new. It’s a new shiny production that should really be free to cut loose and do whatever, and you can tell they’re really trying to do that, but it’s hamstrung by inept plotting that is constantly kicking itself in the dick, on top of the actual execution and writing being really terrible. It certainly aims higher but it falls flatter.

If I'm remembering right, Discovery has gone through four creative teams in two seasons. I doubt that helps, either.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

That seems like a weird criticism - Janeway takes it harder because she's been betrayed by a fellow Starfleet captain, not just dealing with some random forehead alien. It's like saying "For the Uniform" doesn't make any sense because Sisko doesn't normally let people get under his skin like Eddington does.

Sisko's warcrimes are the only warcrimes for me(I love For The Uniform even though it is a very dark episode of Trek)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Angry Salami posted:

It's got the same issue as a lot of the Voyager two-parters that if it was DS9 there'd probably be meat for a longer arc but that would require making things serialized in a way that detracts from whatever bullshit Berman and Braga wanted the show to be. As a two parter it just feels like she goes berserk and starts torturing the Equinox crewman who stayed behind the minute he fucks off from her ship.

Equinox is good but gives us a glimpse of how the show could have been good with good showrunners so it still sucks a little.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just watched The Offspring expecting it to be a nothing episode and drat if it wasn't really good, flippin' teared up at the end. Had a lot to say. Jonathan Frakes' first directing gig too, incredible.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
At least the cast and crew have fun making Discovery unlike the actors in Voyager being told to not act because it'll make the aliens seem more real.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

watching DS9 again, and I got to the episode with all of Jadzia's previous hosts being embodied in the other cast members.

God drat, we got way too little of Avery Brooks as Joran. I almost wish they'd use this as an excuse to focus on him instead of Kurzon.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I love the way they made the brig forcefield lights reflect off of Avery's eyes, it really helped him sell that crazy thousand-yard stare that he had while he was Joran.

Also I wanna have a beer with Curzodo. Odozon?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Would have been way funnier if it were Garak, he'd have been so unimpressed

Ur murder technique is extremely amateurish :lofty:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Even Garak would be scared shitless of Joran in Sisko's body. Not Joran in his own body, but Sisko. Specifically.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
he has to be pretty aware of tough people on the station generally since there are 0 repercussions for people whaling on him, and it happens, a lot

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just saying, that combination of characters is made of nightmares.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nodosaur posted:

watching DS9 again, and I got to the episode with all of Jadzia's previous hosts being embodied in the other cast members.

God drat, we got way too little of Avery Brooks as Joran. I almost wish they'd use this as an excuse to focus on him instead of Kurzon.
Apparently he had to tone it down from the take he did the first time because it was too menacing, so what we see is the 2nd take

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well

that's terrifying to consider

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Watching Sins of the Father (because gently caress you, that's why) and this episode is deliciously shot, excellent use of shadows, and the Klingon mythos and character of Word is excellent.

*looks at Discovery* why can't you be this good!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Alan_Shore posted:

Watching Sins of the Father (because gently caress you, that's why) and this episode is deliciously shot, excellent use of shadows, and the Klingon mythos and character of Word is excellent.

*looks at Discovery* why can't you be this good!

That TNG arc was peak Klingon in my book.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Joran's kinda implicitly completely different in every episode that involves him. I suppose he was basically what works for each episode, but still.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Crime solving sidekick is easily best

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They had that in Due South the main guy who is a Mountie could talk to his dead dad, though it was his magical dog but did a lot of heavy lifting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Star Trek needs more wacky detective duos.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Pick posted:

They had that in Due South the main guy who is a Mountie could talk to his dead dad, though it was his magical dog but did a lot of heavy lifting.

Due South is my favourite TV show of all time.

His dead dad shows up occasionally.

Deifenbaker never solved any crimes.

If you've never seen Due South seriously stop whatever the hell you think you're doing and at least watch the pilot movie. It's the greatest buddy cop story ever committed to film. It's all on YouTube! Best theme song! Do it! Do it now!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Note: real mounties are all but useless

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently he had to tone it down from the take he did the first time because it was too menacing, so what we see is the 2nd take

I love that when Joran appeared in the episode where Jadzia learns about him, he seems fairly normal (didn't he just kill 1 guy in anger over not getting selected for the Dax host?) and yet Brooks is all AHHH JADZIA DAX LOVELY GIRRRL HAVE YOU BEEN PRAC-TI-CING YOUR MOO-ZIK

Brooks is clearly having a ball.

It's also fun to see the obvious stunt doubles on an HD TV when they grapple.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Alan_Shore posted:

Due South is my favourite TV show of all time.

His dead dad shows up occasionally.

Deifenbaker never solved any crimes.

If you've never seen Due South seriously stop whatever the hell you think you're doing and at least watch the pilot movie. It's the greatest buddy cop story ever committed to film. It's all on YouTube! Best theme song! Do it! Do it now!

I was exaggerating, but yes it was a very good show. That said, I don't remember it all that well because I watched it as a literal child

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

davidspackage posted:

iirc Avery Brooks's background was always first and foremost in theater, which is super apparent in this scene. I fuckin' love it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Trek needs more wacky detective duos.

Said it before, I'll say it again...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Love those triple layer suits.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Why would they let the murderous psychopath possess the command officer’s body? They should’ve given that job to Rom.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 30, 2019

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

davidspackage posted:

I love that when Joran appeared in the episode where Jadzia learns about him, he seems fairly normal (didn't he just kill 1 guy in anger over not getting selected for the Dax host?) and yet Brooks is all AHHH JADZIA DAX LOVELY GIRRRL HAVE YOU BEEN PRAC-TI-CING YOUR MOO-ZIK

It's also fun to see the obvious stunt doubles on an HD TV when they grapple.

Joren was a serial killer shown in the first episode he 'appeared' in. He was host for 6 months or so before he was caught.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

THEY ARE ALL SECTION 31 SHIPS

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

THEY ARE ALL SECTION 31 SHIPS

Star Trek: Paranoia

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Alan_Shore posted:

the Klingon mythos and character of Word

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What's the klingon version of Clippy like?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

What's the klingon version of Clippy like?

Ql'Py is without honor.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I SEE THAT YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO WRITE A LETTER! YOUR FORMATTING BRINGS SHAME TO YOU AND YOUR HOUSE.

WOULD YOU REQUIRE ASSISTANCE, LIKE A CHILD?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Glory to you, and your computer mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

:gowron: Glory to you, and your moooooouuuuuuse :gowron: