Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I can't remember exactly how but my Judge's "Increased attack speed" aura got bugged to always be on, and I could activate it again to temporarily get it doubled up. This persisted through save files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

If you could get three friends to play it with you it was amazing, not unlike Gauntlet.

It's backwards compatible for Xbox One but I'm the only person in my friends group who has it and I don't know if the game has online play/if that works anymore.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I love the HtR video game, but I think I only beat the Lasombra once, and then the werewolf boss never. (or vice versa, it has been a few years)

Martyr rules.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Zereth posted:

Didn't he kill more of some clan than actually existed at the time, too?

It's difficult to say for sure, even for me, but yes - if we counted the generic tremere mobs he might have actually wiped out the Tremere entirely on his little rampage.

Leading Causes of Vampire Death in the 1100s:
1. Christoph
2. Petty infighting
3. Fire, because it's dark and everything is done with candles
4. Terminal Angst
5. Curses
6. Bites (Supernatural)
7. Accidental self-immolation because again, it's dark at night and it turns those long, drapey sleeves and candles are a recipe for vampiric flambe
8. Bites (Regular)
9. Wrath of God
10. Made into Gargoyle

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kurieg posted:

I can't remember exactly how but my Judge's "Increased attack speed" aura got bugged to always be on, and I could activate it again to temporarily get it doubled up. This persisted through save files.
When my energies first surged through me
I discovered
The power of Ultra Instinct

-The Book of Nod

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Game idea: Regular mundane mortals take on Pentex and the Garou. Project Twilight but instead of the FBI they're auditors from the Tax Department and instead of high stakes shootouts it's intensely important scenes of coordinating arrests of key players with hopefully uncorrupted FBI agents and executing their own Anton Piller or American equivalent raids on a file storage facility, followed by terrifying high speed escapes rather than chases because 'holy gently caress a werewolf wants to eat us'.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

...Let the record show that the Fomori witness known as FIRST TEAM MEMBER SIX answered every question on redirect with a mewling drone before impaling her brain on spines ejected from her breasts.

The state calls its next witness, FIRST TEAM MEMBER SEVEN, to the stand...

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Task Force Valkyrie: TAX EVADER UNIT

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The Garou look forward to a glorious death... they forgot another inevitability.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
When I first heard about the Barrett Commission I thought that was the high level pitch and was extremely disappointed by the actual compact.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

q: Is Snake vs. Bird from Horror Recognition Guide about any particular splat? My first thought would be Geist but the spirit stuff seems vaguely Werewolf-ish.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Basic Chunnel posted:

q: Is Snake vs. Bird from Horror Recognition Guide about any particular splat? My first thought would be Geist but the spirit stuff seems vaguely Werewolf-ish.

Nope! Recurring snake vs bird imagery appears throughout the various lines at largely random times, but Snake Vs Bird has never, ever been explained.

E: also I would like to remind you all that I wrote an insurance investigator compact.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Snake vs. Bird is one of the more mysterious loose threads laid within the CofD. I've always thought it must be connected conceptually to the mythic backstory of the Cult of the Phoenix and the Cult of Seth, which is split between Hunter (via the Ascending Ones) and Vampire (via Mekhet: Shadows in the Dark). The mythic history of the Thai Kindred in Ancient Bloodlines and Ancient Mysteries also conspicuously tells a tale of the conflict between the followers of the sedate Buddhist-converted Naga King and the traditionalists championed by a passionate and self-righteous bloodline named after bird-women, which they explicitly name a tale of Snake and Bird.

Any other connections escape me, beyond the myriad connections you can make from the core idea of a dichotomy between a force of wildness and power and a force of cunning and control.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Loomer posted:

Game idea: Regular mundane mortals take on Pentex and the Garou. Project Twilight but instead of the FBI they're auditors from the Tax Department and instead of high stakes shootouts it's intensely important scenes of coordinating arrests of key players with hopefully uncorrupted FBI agents and executing their own Anton Piller or American equivalent raids on a file storage facility, followed by terrifying high speed escapes rather than chases because 'holy gently caress a werewolf wants to eat us'.
I actually remember some kind of InQuest review which had the premise of "James Bond has all the compromising files from Pentex up to and including all the vampire and Wyrm poo poo, but NOW he has to get out of the building despite the BSD pack."

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

I'm throwing my wallet at the screen and nothing is happening!

This sounds like exactly the kind of weird poo poo I would have a blast playing.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I think it meets the critical requirement of a game like that, which is that it lends itself perfectly to assembling conspiratorial charts. Everyone loves a good string and corkboard network chart!

Someone run it. I'd do it myself but I'm already running two IRL games and it's a big year with the university to boot.

EDIT:
Obligatory Shnoblin

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Basic Chunnel posted:

New Werewolf developer Chris Allen unofficially wrote up Snake and Bird as two sides of the same god-coin as Pangeans, in the wake of his 'Sundered World' neolithic Werewolf/Mage Dark Era.

Snake
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/...652#post1232652

Bird
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/...559#post1223559

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I'm always a little iffy on these Pangaean writeups- they're very cool but they seem beyond oppressive to actually have in a game, to the point that writing them up as 'gains Essence' and 'may expend X' just seems ridiculous. They're clearly fiat-level entities, and their inclusion as active forces in the world makes for a very particular mode of play. I just can't see using them in a Chronicles game which isn't planning on ending soon, and possibly with player character casualties. Where do you go from there?

...or alternatively I really want to know what kind of mechanical engagement it would take for players to actually beat them. It seems... unlikely to be possible.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Attack the concept they are tied to, loving merk them with their Bane. The end, no moral. It's how Wolf got got, and he was stronger than Bird and Snake.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm always a little iffy on these Pangaean writeups- they're very cool but they seem beyond oppressive to actually have in a game, to the point that writing them up as 'gains Essence' and 'may expend X' just seems ridiculous. They're clearly fiat-level entities, and their inclusion as active forces in the world makes for a very particular mode of play. I just can't see using them in a Chronicles game which isn't planning on ending soon, and possibly with player character casualties. Where do you go from there?

I like the Pangeans but yeah. They're not something you fight, or should fight, at least Bird and Snake level stuff. Things like Harvest and Fox are more reasonable but still not something you should have in a game like 'Fox is in the Pine Barrens if you want to go hunt him down and kill him.' I put one in a game as a sort of motivating force and epilogue for some of the characters. They make more sense the farther back in time you get, since they're all dead, transformed, or otherwise inaccessible now. Like it's easier to imagine one popping up for the plot in the Sundered World, and their weird benefits offer reasons for PCs and NPCs to seek them out.

I believe Crocodile is going to be a central part of some of the plot in the Hawara Dark Era, with Death Wolf's ghost using it as a conduit to get back at her or something.

quote:

...or alternatively I really want to know what kind of mechanical engagement it would take for players to actually beat them. It seems... unlikely to be possible.

Wait them out, apparently. Or like you would an idigam, gather several packs. Werewolves act as banes to all of them, so enough damage and there you go, though they will be reborn.

Mulva posted:

Attack the concept they are tied to, loving merk them with their Bane. The end, no moral. It's how Wolf got got, and he was stronger than Bird and Snake.

The Pangeans aren't reflections of concepts, they seem to work the other way around. But yeah, banes. Wolf, like the others, was vulnerable to the bane of werewolves, and the werewolves still apparently had all or most of the Firstborn on their side. Though they aren't bound to combat and can be slippery.

nofather fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 30, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

If Pangaeans are in fact basically the Unbound (old gods, stuck in the phenomenal world, but not Bound) then it makes sense if they are basically an ambulatory, self-willed part of some concept that isn't reliant on it anymore. They no longer cast a shadow into the physical world, they are the thing that cast a shadow before the Fall. That would explain them being a kind of weird and monstrous reflection of and embodiment of a natural phenomenon without being the literal source of it.

Or they could just be gods. I prefer if the Pangaeans weren't Old Gods in the Mage sense, but their own thing that happens to operate similarly to the Supernal Magic Mages use (or through it - but by virtue of being able to operate on magic somewhat like an extremely potent Mage, rather than being Supernal entities brought low). The world's big enough for many secret pantheons, even subscribing to the Mage cosmology of 'and our pantheon is physics.'

Regardless I'd probably have some form of Snake and Bird Supernal Gods as the hypostasis of the various Snake and Bird conflicts in the world.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

Or they could just be gods. I prefer if the Pangaeans weren't Old Gods in the Mage sense, but their own thing that happens to operate similarly to the Supernal Magic Mages use (or through it - but by virtue of being able to operate on magic somewhat like an extremely potent Mage, rather than being Supernal entities brought low). The world's big enough for many secret pantheons, even subscribing to the Mage cosmology of 'and our pantheon is physics.'

I got no loving idea. Based on their abilities and the implications from Acrozatarim's non-canon write-ups, I've just settled on them as 'pillars' and 'foundations' as they're described. Doesn't seem involved with the Supernal, but could be. Supernal stuff always strikes me as mankind oriented.

quote:

Regardless I'd probably have some form of Snake and Bird Supernal Gods as the hypostasis of the various Snake and Bird conflicts in the world.

It makes sense.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

nofather posted:

The Pangeans aren't reflections of concepts, they seem to work the other way around. But yeah, banes. Wolf, like the others, was vulnerable to the bane of werewolves, and the werewolves still apparently had all or most of the Firstborn on their side. Though they aren't bound to combat and can be slippery.

I mean it could be coincidental, but among other things the decline of Wolf seems to coincide with people moving away from 'the hunt' as a driving force in their life. It took a step from him, which allowed some of the others to mess him up, which slowed him down even more, and he never seemed able to heal from all of it. And at the end of the day many of them simply became powerful Spirits, actual reflections of concepts. They weren't exactly that to start with, but they were close enough to evolve [Or devolve I suppose] into that when poo poo became esoterically uncomfortable.

But yeah, that's really it. Just hit them really, really hard while exploiting their banes and bans. For exceptionally powerful spirits it's a question of how many dozens or hundreds of people you are willing to throw into a meat grinder to get it done, but they die in the end.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Pangaeans use Supernal Magic and the terms Old Gods and Pangaeans are used almost interchangeably. They're the same bunch.

The bigger ones are rank 6+ entities and as such pure plot devices, but there are rules in Sundered World for the more manageable ones if you want something with health boxes that can die.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I'm aware Sundered World says that they're Old Gods; I am inclined (as with anything in this setting) to use or not use that at my leisure, and - as the werewolf developer says in the thread linked, with the extradimensional eyeball and the combat drone werewolf-abominations, each line has its own metaphysics to fit things to. My personal inclination is to put the Pangaeans in a slightly different box; put another way, I prefer the idea that there were Pangaeans etc in the world Before the Fall, though I suspect the Sundering never occurred in 'Atlantis timeline' - it makes sense for the Fall to introduce various entropic and tyrannous tendencies to the universe, including Wolf's decline and failure, and possibly the Pangaeans being extra crispy.

I also prefer to think most Times Before end with the Fall around the late Bronze Age, because it's amusing to think that the Time Before lasted a shorter but hotter-burning history and also explains the Bronze Age aesthetic time before stuff tends to have.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pangaeans use Supernal Magic and the terms Old Gods and Pangaeans are used almost interchangeably. They're the same bunch.

The bigger ones are rank 6+ entities and as such pure plot devices, but there are rules in Sundered World for the more manageable ones if you want something with health boxes that can die.

Joe Slowboat posted:

If Pangaeans are in fact basically the Unbound (old gods, stuck in the phenomenal world, but not Bound) then it makes sense if they are basically an ambulatory, self-willed part of some concept that isn't reliant on it anymore. They no longer cast a shadow into the physical world, they are the thing that cast a shadow before the Fall. That would explain them being a kind of weird and monstrous reflection of and embodiment of a natural phenomenon without being the literal source of it.

People trying to apply mage cosmology to other lines in anything other than a mage game are the sort of people I’m pretty sure I’d despise personally if I ever were to meet them in person. Like it’s not that I just wouldn’t play an rpg with you, I’m pretty sure I couldn’t stand your personality.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

jakodee posted:

People trying to apply mage cosmology to other lines in anything other than a mage game are the sort of people I’m pretty sure I’d despise personally if I ever were to meet them in person. Like it’s not that I just wouldn’t play an rpg with you, I’m pretty sure I couldn’t stand your personality.

What the gently caress, pal.

Although this is kind of hilarious, because Pangaeans are from the Mage/Werewolf crossover Dark Era. So they are, already, canonically in the Mage cosmology. If anything I backed off from their explicit place in that.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019
Got ninja’d by the object of my ire.

Look I’m sorry if that was rude, I just mentally associate people trying to make everything fit into mage with the sort of people who base their entire identity off of what some corporate schmuck has declared canon in Star Wars. They aren’t fun in real life.

Double edit: The reason they use both werewolf and mage rules is that they are from a crossover chronicle and no other reason. They are in both “canons”. There is no canon; both in the sense that canon is a stupid idea for an rpg, and because onyx path has said that there is no such thing as the werewolf or mage “universes”.

jakodee fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 30, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

And you apparently build your online persona off of loudly posturing against wiki nerds, and I'm sure it's working out great.

I think about things in Mage terms because that's the game I'm actually running, and because I find the Gnostic Neoplatonic metaphysics compelling; having a functional thematic core to magic and mystery in the setting as I run it is useful, and my current game has a major 'old god' component.

E: it's also ironic that you cite Onyx Path's canon-setting authority to state that there are not distinct 'universes' for Mage and Werewolf. I'm not claiming there are (though both games have distinct core themes that, when written well, inform their supplements, and which do have distinct effects on the setting material) but your basis for the claim is far more like arguing about Star Wars canonicity than discussing potential uses of the text would be.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 30, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

jakodee posted:

It's not Mage cosmology, it's Chronicles of Darkness cosmology.

Which I suppose is my way of saying the feeling is mutual. :v:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

I think it meets the critical requirement of a game like that, which is that it lends itself perfectly to assembling conspiratorial charts. Everyone loves a good string and corkboard network chart!

Someone run it. I'd do it myself but I'm already running two IRL games and it's a big year with the university to boot.

EDIT:
Obligatory Shnoblin

My god it's beautiful. gently caress now I really want to run an absurd WoD X-Files/It's Always Sunny style game.

Assemble the worst group of paranoid idiots to bumblefuck their way through the WoD causing chaos and terror to the creatures of the night...or at least whoever seems like they might be in on it.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

joylessdivision posted:

My god it's beautiful. gently caress now I really want to run an absurd WoD X-Files/It's Always Sunny style game.

Assemble the worst group of paranoid idiots to bumblefuck their way through the WoD causing chaos and terror to the creatures of the night...or at least whoever seems like they might be in on it.

This is basically my current Demon campaign. They had a thirty minute rant-plosion in the ring's bolthole where two of them were convinced their ringmates were activated sleeper agents, cue two said ringmates barging into what they thought was an empty bolthole in each others arms and completely destroying said theory with the simple reality they were dating and being dodgy about it. :v:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

jakodee posted:

Double edit: The reason they use both werewolf and mage rules is that they are from a crossover chronicle and no other reason. They are in both “canons”. There is no canon; both in the sense that canon is a stupid idea for an rpg, and because onyx path has said that there is no such thing as the werewolf or mage “universes”.

That's because, as Tuxedo Catfish says, there is only one Chronicles of Darkness "universe", which actually is internally consistent such that a particular deific being that appears in both game lines is actually the same thing with the same explanation in each. You seem to be getting oWoD conventions, where things were flatly incompatible, confused with nWoD conventions, where questions of high metaphysics or mythic history are by no means settled but do in principle have answers.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Joe Slowboat posted:

And you apparently build your online persona off of loudly posturing against wiki nerds, and I'm sure it's working out great.

I think about things in Mage terms because that's the game I'm actually running, and because I find the Gnostic Neoplatonic metaphysics compelling; having a functional thematic core to magic and mystery in the setting as I run it is useful, and my current game has a major 'old god' component.

E: it's also ironic that you cite Onyx Path's canon-setting authority to state that there are not distinct 'universes' for Mage and Werewolf. I'm not claiming there are (though both games have distinct core themes that, when written well, inform their supplements, and which do have distinct effects on the setting material) but your basis for the claim is far more like arguing about Star Wars canonicity than discussing potential uses of the text would be.

No, I understand the irony of using the Offical Company Statement to defend the lack of canon; I was actually trying (and failing aparantly) to point out the absurdity in valuing “canon” by pointing out that Onyx Path themselves have the offical position of “we don’t give a gently caress”.

To be clear. I was not attempting to make some show of how much I hate tv tropes or something with my previous posts. I was saying (in what i know realize was a unecessarily insulting way) that the way you talked about your understanding of fiction and how you relate to it are probably indicative of personality traits that would lead to us not getting along if we were to meet in person. Not that you are bad or anything for having that personality.

I may also have been arguing against tuxedo catfish and you as if you were the same person.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Ferrinus posted:

That's because, as Tuxedo Catfish says, there is only one Chronicles of Darkness "universe", which actually is internally consistent such that a particular deific being that appears in both game lines is actually the same thing with the same explanation in each. You seem to be getting oWoD conventions, where things were flatly incompatible, confused with nWoD conventions, where questions of high metaphysics or mythic history are by no means settled but do in principle have answers.

I have never to my knowledge read an oWoD book, and have read many NWoD and CoD books, and those books I have read appear to have been entirely different from the ones you have been reading.

Like... I must have been hallucinating a really, really worryingly large amount of text for this to be true.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

jakodee posted:

I have never to my knowledge read an oWoD book, and have read many NWoD and CoD books, and those books I have read appear to have been entirely different from the ones you have been reading.

Like... I must have been hallucinating a really, really worryingly large amount of text for this to be true.

I will say, I think that different developers have taken different tacks as regards 'there is a unified Chronicles cosmology.' Some have written with the assumption that this is a thing, or at least can be a thing.

The same is true of setting history; the Requiem clanbooks are generally understood to have a variety of 'secret history' metaplot elements in them, in case anyone wants to pick up on them (like the Ventrue clan's dirty secrets from the time of Rome). That doesn't mean the 'canon' is something Onyx Path as a whole cares about, but some developers have had setting bibles that assume things are compatible and worked to ensure they remain so, I think.

Not that this makes the canonicity of anything more or less useful at the table, it's just an interesting note about the assumed relationship of the various sourcebooks.
Which is most epitomized, unfortunately, by the Beast and Contagion Chronicles lines, and Beast is trash, so... believe me, I only consider the potential fully unified NWoD cosmology an interesting idea for forums chat, including 'so what needs to be removed with fire.'

(It's Beast, and Beasts.)

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Joe Slowboat posted:

I will say, I think that different developers have taken different tacks as regards 'there is a unified Chronicles cosmology.' Some have written with the assumption that this is a thing, or at least can be a thing.

The same is true of setting history; the Requiem clanbooks are generally understood to have a variety of 'secret history' metaplot elements in them, in case anyone wants to pick up on them (like the Ventrue clan's dirty secrets from the time of Rome). That doesn't mean the 'canon' is something Onyx Path as a whole cares about, but some developers have had setting bibles that assume things are compatible and worked to ensure they remain so, I think.

Not that this makes the canonicity of anything more or less useful at the table, it's just an interesting note about the assumed relationship of the various sourcebooks.
Which is most epitomized, unfortunately, by the Beast and Contagion Chronicles lines, and Beast is trash, so... believe me, I only consider the potential fully unified NWoD cosmology an interesting idea for forums chat, including 'so what needs to be removed with fire.'

(It's Beast, and Beasts.)

I think we mostly agree with each other.

I’ll try to not be as much of a jerk about it next time.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
ChroD cosmology is a series of actions figures plunked down in front of you. Yeah, we know we've got the knock-off Power Ranger and tie-in Rex from Toy Story doll, and the ancient ninja turtle that fires plastic pizzas, but where you put them on your Lego or Hot Wheels playset is up to the guy currently with his hands in the toybox. It likes to tell you things are, and leaves the players and ST to decide why. I appreciate that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

jakodee posted:

You must have absorbed bad vibes and toxic meme radiation from online WoD discussion or something, because nWoD is a single unified setting and has been from the get-go. That was one of its original selling points - it'd be crossover friendly, unlike oWoD in which each game pretty much only worked if you assumed all the others were "wrong". What this means is that especially in crossover supplements like Dark Ages it's entirely legitimate and expected to theorize that a particular being is a supernal god or idigam or whatever, even though the devs are unlikely to confirm it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

jakodee posted:

Uh, my dude, I came up with that setting, Developed it, and it’s a Mage setting.

That Chris, who wrote it, is a huge werewolf nerd and I think thinks of it as a werewolf setting just means it’s one of the vanishingly few crossovers that are thematically balanced.

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 30, 2019