Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Tato posted:

Another rare in-studio, good HDTGM on Little Italy. Laughed a lot at their bewilderment that the film takes place in 2018

Yeah HDTGM is way better when it’s a small in-studio episode. Jason is way more thoughtful and funny when he’s in studio compared to amping everything up to 11 at love shows.

Also I’ve been listening to Film Sack because I’ve ran out of HDTGM and Flop House. Overall somewhat decent...

Question because I legit can’t tell but do these dudes have some serious prejudices? Like they never say anything super explicitly awful but a few times every few episodes they’ll just say some stuff that seems off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I gave Film Sack several honest shots but I couldn't click with it because I didn't find any of their personalities appealing and their soundboard gimmick wore thin almost immediately

If you're looking for more bad movie podcasts, check out We Hate Movies (a long-running goon favorite - it has its own thread, and Eric Szyszka even stops by sometimes!) and Bad Movie Fiends aka BMFcast (which goes in for more "so bad it's good" cinema and approaches the subject with love and enthusiasm)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

DoombatINC posted:

I gave Film Sack several honest shots but I couldn't click with it because I didn't find any of their personalities appealing and their soundboard gimmick wore thin almost immediately

If you're looking for more bad movie podcasts, check out We Hate Movies (a long-running goon favorite - it has its own thread, and Eric Szyszka even stops by sometimes!) and Bad Movie Fiends aka BMFcast (which goes in for more "so bad it's good" cinema and approaches the subject with love and enthusiasm)

Do any of the good ones stop by?

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

Any recommendations for bad movie pods, but specifically (or mostly) about horror movies (or at least schlocky genre stuff)?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I haven't listened to it but Betsy Sodaro does one called Horny For Horror.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Didn't Earwolf do one that's entirely about the Halloween franchise?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Chairman Capone posted:

They did In Voorhees We Trust with Gourley and Rust on Stitcher Premium about Friday the 13th. They’ve pretty heavily hinted they want to do another season and likely will be about Halloween since it’s a big touchstone for Gourley.

I highly recommend it. Each episode is roughly twice as long as each movie they cover.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Chairman Capone posted:

Amy Nicholson and I wanna say Paul Scheer did a Halloween franchise podcast, I think.

The Senator Giroux posted:

They did In Voorhees We Trust with Gourley and Rust on Stitcher Premium about Friday the 13th. They’ve pretty heavily hinted they want to do another season and likely will be about Halloween since it’s a big touchstone for Gourley.

I highly recommend it. Each episode is roughly twice as long as each movie they cover.

Was this any good? I listened to the preview but it was just Paul and Matt being silly for an hour and it gave me the impression that the podcast was more of an excuse for the two of them to riff together than actually talk about the movies.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Human Tornada posted:

Amy Nicholson and I wanna say Paul Scheer did a Halloween franchise podcast, I think.

Was this any good? I listened to the preview but it was just Paul and Matt being silly for an hour and it gave me the impression that the podcast was more of an excuse for the two of them to riff together than actually talk about the movies.

I liked it a lot, and the preview is both very accurate (it’s an excuse for them to riff) but they do talk about the movies pretty in-depth. Paul’s a legit F13 fan and Matt is pretty big into horror although it seems like most of his F13 stuff comes from watching them years ago (they watch all the movies before the episodes). But they talk an awful lot about the movies, more than say U Talkin U2 To Me.

All that said, if you want to hear them be dorky and geek out over horror for 3 hours (which isn’t a joke, most of the episodes hover in the 2-3 hour mark) it’s a lot of fun because they’re very positive and try not to come down too hard on the movies while still having opinions on them (neither are big Kane Hodder fans, although Rust came down harder on Billy Crystal than anyone else I can think of in the limited run).

If you don’t want fuckarounds, it might be the last podcast you’d want to listen to.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Paul Scheer's attempt to segue from talking about Saving Private Ryan to advertising LinkedIn on the latest Unspooled really made me laugh.

Overall I think I like Unspooled better than The Canon (which seems to finally be dead, thankfully) but I still like HDTGM.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Kind of in a lovely spot now, as movie podcasts used to be my favorite thing to listen to, and three of the most popular have kind of gone to poo poo lately.

HDTGM is just a bunch of idiots screaming over each other trying to prove how little they know about the movie they're talking about.

We Hate Movies seemingly spending more effort on proving how woke they are and how they're just so horrified that an old movie doesn't conform to modern sensibilities.

The Flop House, where everyone just seems bored now and seems like they'd rather be doing anything else, and can't wait to hit their episode time limit and nope the gently caress out of the whole thing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Kind of in a lovely spot now, as movie podcasts used to be my favorite thing to listen to, and three of the most popular have kind of gone to poo poo lately.

HDTGM is just a bunch of idiots screaming over each other trying to prove how little they know about the movie they're talking about.

We Hate Movies seemingly spending more effort on proving how woke they are and how they're just so horrified that an old movie doesn't conform to modern sensibilities.

The Flop House, where everyone just seems bored now and seems like they'd rather be doing anything else, and can't wait to hit their episode time limit and nope the gently caress out of the whole thing.

I think Flop House is still having fun but it's harder because of the distance, and I don't get that from the WHM crew. I'm admittedly tired of Eric deliberately forgetting the name of everything, and good lord will they go on a long walk if it means they get to do a terrible Garey Busey impression, but they don't strike me as shooting for over woke.

HDTGM is a lost cause.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Answer: The ActionBoyz

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Laterite posted:

gently caress yeah.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Still enjoy Flop House but the bicoastal recording his definitely impacted the show in subtle ways. I suspect its why they've cut down on the number of insane tangents.

Laterite posted:

ACTION BOYZ

I'M NOT MAD

I JUST WANT TO KNOW

DID YOU FINGER MY WIFE

I'M NOT MAD

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Lol k

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Long walk, short pier, etc.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

how many times a day on average do you think about sjws?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
They're generally pretty good at making their observations about a movie being racist or sexist or homophobic be part of a joke, or mentioning it and moving on in a way that shows they've acknowledged it and see it's a problem but want to move on to like, Wilford Brimley impressions.

I have listened to other podcasts where they get to that point and I end up being like "Okay I agree with you that this is a problem and bad, but the fun stopped five minutes ago and I'd like it to please come back now"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

sub supau posted:

how many times a day on average do you think about sjws?

Sexy Jewish Wives? Constantly. Love them JMILF's.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They're generally pretty good at making their observations about a movie being racist or sexist or homophobic be part of a joke, or mentioning it and moving on in a way that shows they've acknowledged it and see it's a problem but want to move on to like, Wilford Brimley impressions.

I have listened to other podcasts where they get to that point and I end up being like "Okay I agree with you that this is a problem and bad, but the fun stopped five minutes ago and I'd like it to please come back now"

This is absolutely true. You can be Tryhard Woke. WHM isn't that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sexy Jewish Wives? Constantly. Love them JMILF's.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?s=19

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've posted about this in this thread before, but for me personally the appeal of watching and talking about bad movies has steadily declined over the years, and it's possible that the same thing can happen to the hosts of bad movie podcasts.

I think it's a combination of streaming culture and just growing older. When an endless stream of generic ABC Family Channel crap (Netflix) and Z-grade junk (Amazon) are a few clicks away it's just not the same as when you would pick-out an old DVD or VHS and pop it in. It's also a lot easier to justify spending all weekend drinking 30 cans of beer and watching trash when you're 24 than when you're 34.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
WHM seems like it's more of a job for the guys these days and they definitely spend more time on their in jokes and bad impressions. But that's natural! It happens! And I still think they're cool dudes and I want them to get paid for what they do.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

WHM seems like it's more of a job for the guys these days and they definitely spend more time on their in jokes and bad impressions. But that's natural! It happens! And I still think they're cool dudes and I want them to get paid for what they do.

Yeah, their latest episode was kinda bleh, but it’s probably the first bleh episode they’ve done in over 400 stellar episodes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, their latest episode was kinda bleh, but it’s probably the first bleh episode they’ve done in over 400 stellar episodes

I'm pretty sure the bleh ones started 2-4 years ago, but I still listen to the show. And I'm going to see them live on their tour!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm pretty sure the bleh ones started 2-4 years ago, but I still listen to the show. And I'm going to see them live on their tour!

Eh, I think they've actually gotten way better the last few years. But I like the tangents they go off on. I don't actually care about analysis of bad movies. I'm there for the funny. It's why I signed up for their Patreon, because the Nexus is hilarious. They're funny guys, and I hope they keep doing what they're doing.

Also, We Love Movies this past December was great, they seemed way more enthusiastic about it, for obvious reasons, so I hope they make that a regular thing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, I think they've actually gotten way better the last few years. But I like the tangents they go off on. I don't actually care about analysis of bad movies. I'm there for the funny. It's why I signed up for their Patreon, because the Nexus is hilarious. They're funny guys, and I hope they keep doing what they're doing.

Also, We Love Movies this past December was great, they seemed way more enthusiastic about it, for obvious reasons, so I hope they make that a regular thing.

Yeah if anything I personally feel that they have more home run episodes now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you're there for the funny and not the movies, you want Flophouse. If you're there for the movies and less of the funny, you want Unspooled. If you want a mix, WHM. If you want some pointless static to listen to while you're coming down off a multi-day drug binge and trying to sleep, any others.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

thrawn527 posted:

This is exactly how I got into WHM because I heard the Domino's Pizza Insurance bit out of context and needed to find it again. That it's from an episode about a "sexy noir" movie with Jim Belushi in it is a bonus.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Holy cow.

https://twitter.com/theflophousepod/status/1113623748723314688

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Wow

Also, is Norm Macdonald Joe Bob's bastard son

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
How does JBB look younger than Dan & Stuart?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Dan got a rough case of the Al Borlands.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

i don't think so jef

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Flop House thread is archived, but holy gently caress they're reviewing Castle Freak!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

The Flop House thread is archived, but holy gently caress they're reviewing Castle Freak!

Did Dan seem drunk or was he more confused than usual this episode?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked the recent Jaws 3-D episode of HDTGM. It was a return to a studio episode, and it was also just the three hosts with no guest. It's amazing how different a vibe it had compared to the typical run of live audiences, no June, and two or three guests.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Oh, you don't like Mantzoukas screaming GUYS, WHAT IS HAPPENING every five minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
Their live audiences are so crazily happy and enjoying. Makes me feel like.