Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Qunnipiac has 27 shots, ASU 9. Holy poo poo. Maybe don't take a month off before the tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Qunnipiac has 27 shots, ASU 9. Holy poo poo. Maybe don't take a month off before the tournament.

TBF I don't know what else they could have done. Literally everyone else was in their own conference tournaments at the time. Odds are they're joining the WCHA sooner rather than later, but yeah this was just a brutal wait for them

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Notre Dame lost

All results from here on in are acceptable

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

DJExile posted:

TBF I don't know what else they could have done. Literally everyone else was in their own conference tournaments at the time. Odds are they're joining the WCHA sooner rather than later, but yeah this was just a brutal wait for them

I was wondering who they were trying to get into. I thought Big 10 made the most sense so they could even up at 8.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
sorry to the American International buzzsaw.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Denver gets stuck in a bracket with Ohio State and SCSU, makes the Frozen Four. Motherfuckers.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
UMass outshot Notre Dame and Harvard by a combined 70-30 :stare:

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Go the Cornell Big Red please

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

T-Bone posted:

UMass outshot Notre Dame and Harvard by a combined 70-30 :stare:

Good lord

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Interesting that the HE gets two teams in the Frozen Four given how much the traditional powers struggled this year. NE/Providence/UMass ended up being for real tho

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

This is going way better than yesterday, even if the score is the same after 1.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/icehockeystick/status/1112505849698807808

lmao

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

We did it, fam. 3 straight Frozen Fours.

Go Dogs. Go Denver. Let's do it one more time.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Boo to the providence friars. Go... idk UMass?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
im going to both semifinals games and the finals and i'm cheering for all the players to have a good time

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Wait, so is Providence good or did they really get lucky to get into a regional in their hometown?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Wait, so is Providence good or did they really get lucky to get into a regional in their hometown?

They almost always host and at this point it's bullshit but it's happened so many times that it's almost not worth complaining about.

For as good-to-mediocre as they are in the regular season they always seem like they're built well for tournament runs. I have no idea how it happens.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Quinnipiac looked good on paper, but they are a skating team and UMD can outclass basically anyone in that department. We struggle against teams that can dominate faceoffs and against teams with really strong physical play. That's why BGSU had us dead to rights until 3 minutes left in the game, and why Quinnipiac couldn't score until they had a 2 man advantage with 3 minutes left.

I should rewatch Providence vs Denver to see what this will look like. Denver is essentially a slightly worse version of UMD this year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Providence doesn't always have a ton of guns but they're a VERY good shutdown team defensively. I'd imagine that's a big help come tournament time.

E: jesus they held cornell to just 10 total shots in the first two periods

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Enough about who's in the Frozen Four. Let's discuss who isn't and why it rules.

Ohio State, not in the Frozen Four. gently caress them.
Notre Dame, not in the Frozen Four. gently caress them.
Minnesota, not in the Frozen Four. gently caress them.
Wisconsin, definitely not in the Frozen Four. gently caress them, too.

North Dakota, not in the Frozen Four! They can get hosed.
Michigan, not even good enough to win a single game in the Big Ten Tournament, much less the Frozen Four. They definitely went and got hosed.

Please feel free to add your favorites.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

St Cloud State University: talked nonstop poo poo all season long, then got pantsed by UMD on national TV, then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpqIcf3cIAU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Michigan State, not in the Frozen Four. In the final four, but they can gently caress off.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I assumed Denver handled Providence because of the score in the first game and the tied second game. Reviewing it, Providence got 40+ shots in both games and won the FO battle. Denver's announcers were not pleased with the overall level of play in either game.

This is gonna be a tough one.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

iospace posted:

Michigan State, not in the Frozen Four. In the final four, but they can gently caress off.

MSU is about as far away from the Frozen Four as anyone can be, as they are loving terrible and only hire alumni to coach them.

Which is a silly position to take on coaching in general but a real problem when you're Michigan State.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
miami, not in the frozen four because life is suffering and everything you love eventually dies

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well that was fun while it lasted

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That sucks man

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, soon as Rico was fired I knew they'd be targeting him, and hell I get it, guy's an alum and was far and away their best recruiter when he was an assistant under Rico. There was no way he wasn't gonna go back eventually. Plus holy poo poo BG hockey was in legit danger of shutting down around the time he came in and he's done a shitload of work to get it revitalized.

On top of that, getting us back to the national tournament for the first time since 1990, and a lot of players signing their pro deals after the Minn-Duluth game, that's a pretty good way to go out. Sucks to lose him but I wish him well and I'm sure he's amped to go back to Miami and try to get them back to prominence.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I am still bitter about Mankato blowing it. THIS WAS YOUR YEAR! ST CLOUD GOT BEAT BY AN IMAGINARY PUFF OF FARTS! get hosed I'm not giving your dumbasses any money this year. (Take that general scholarship fund! Try and survive without my $20 annual donation!!!!!!)

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

St Cloud is gonna look very different next year. Schuldt, Jackson, Ryan Poehling, Blake Lizotte, and Newell so far. Those are 5 of their top 6 point scorers this year. Yikes.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Championship week, let's loving go

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

wouldn't be able to make it to the semifinals, though if they make the final I'll make the drive up to Buffalo. feels like it's destined for a 2017 repeat!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I would love to avenge 2017.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress it go a duluth, if we're gonna get knocked out lets get knocked out by the drat champs

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/_YesHeCan/status/1115820462091710465?s=19

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Game day.

LET'S GO BULLDOGS

CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgokUhA3fuE

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pour one out for Teemu

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/1116365404673335297

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
excited to see Makar win a trophy then truck Tkachuk

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

he’s going to win a trophy, alright. the Stanley Cup after he gets knocked out by national champion DU and then joins the Avalanche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Two guys get the gate in the first period, one from each team, UMass/Denver game off to a rousing start...