Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just wait till they get to the planet of the Hikarus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I love Hikaru. The joke where she wanted to take one small step for a girl, one giant leap for Precurekind and instead just fell flat on her face was fantastic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

I love Hikaru. The joke where she wanted to take one small step for a girl, one giant leap for Precurekind and instead just fell flat on her face was fantastic.

As was the gag where she did her opening monologue for the dog aliens.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

As I try to work out how a snow imprint can have swirly blushes, I am reminded that science has no place here. Wait, is that snow? It’s a planet where it rains bones so it’s probably granular calcium. Do the bones have marrow? By what process is the calcium evaporated to make bonerain? Is the bone rain simply a gift from the skyletons?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

It's raining again.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wonder if Princess Libra understands the scale of how much she insulted Prunce.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Libra seems fun. I really hope the Princesses get to be actual characters later in the series as opposed to just being stuck in their respective palaces the whole time.

Judging by the OP I think we’ve still got at least two more Notraider generals left to introduce plus of course our mysterious “Top Hat Girl” who most likely will wind up being our inevitable 5th Cure.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 26, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I hope the screen time of Libra and the other Star Princesses is rather balanced.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So on a whim I decided to check out the Futari dub. The voice acting is kind of hit or miss (Nagisa, Honoka and the fairies are decent though) and they westernized a lot of the names (though they did at least retain some of the puns such as Nagisa Misumi becoming Natalie Blackstone, Misumi in this case meaning “beautiful ink”) but otherwise the translation seems pretty faithful and it’s almost completely uncut (hell, they even left the Japanese opening and ending untouched, though for some reason the episode previews at the end are also left in Japanese).

Edit: Apparenly it was just the version I was watching that tacked on the original OP/ED. The dub actually featured a brand new opening (that isn’t that bad either to be honest):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iIh8jPHC2a8

Who dubbed Futari anyway and why was it never released outside of Canada?

Kind of a pity this never made it to the US as it’s a much better effort than what little I’ve seen of Glitter Force at any rate. Speaking of which, was the DokiDoki dub handled any better than Smile was? I know they cut out a large chunk of episodes for some reason and strangely enough they changed Alice’s already English first name to Clara but left her Japanese last name intact.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 28, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

They changed Makoto's name to MacKenzie Mack which is cute IMO

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, how were things like Makoto's backstory and Regina's entire arc handled in the dub?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 29, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Suite Precure, episode 11: oh hey, it's finally mask lady from the theme song! And uh...huh. Given what I know about Cure Muse, this seems...odd. Well, I'm sure it'll all be explained eventually. I guess I'm supposed to think Cure Muse is Siren, given that she appeared after Siren got fired from being the leader, looks like an adult, didn't speak so the voice couldn't give it away, had the Fairy Tone say she had no allegiance to either side, and Siren was being dodgy about where she'd been at the end. They did a good job making the evidence look overwhelming, at least.

I'm starting to really like Siren, her character development is really interesting. I just assumed she was going to be "the bad cat" the entire show but they seem to be doing a lot more with her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the subject of Precure dubs, why is it that the Glitter Force adaptions of Smile and Doki Doki cut out episodes from the original run (Smile lost 8 episodes and Doki Doki lost 19) despite the fact that the show was on Netflix where they shouldn’t have needed to worry about that?

Also were any of the cut episodes particularly plot relevant (since I’m watching the Futari dub currently I was thinking of potentially braving through Glitter Force afterwards)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 29, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's a mystery as to why it was handled like an 80's/90's TV dub when it's airing on a streaming service and the shows did need to have any major cuts content wise, but it's also amusing and continues my theory that streaming is slowly becoming like TV in many ways (both for good and for bad)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As evidenced by the fact that all 49 episodes of Futari Wa aired basically uncut on Canadian television without an issue. For that matter, why "Glitter Force"? What's wrong with just calling it Pretty Cure?

That said, I am sort of curious if Hasbro is actually going to do anything with the franchise at some point seeing as they currently hold the license for it (and if they do whether it'll turn out any better than Saban's version). Though out of curiosity, are there any good aspects to either dub?

At the very least it might be nice to finally get some more subbed versions on Crunchyroll (last I checked they still just have the first season on there) or better yet maybe some official DVDs from Shout Factory (maybe start with Smile or DokiDoki to gauge interest and then move on to the rest from there). There's only 15 currently completed seasons right now (and two of them are direct sequels) so it wouldn't take that long either.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 29, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On a whim I watched the first episode of DokiDoki (Glitter Force version). Aside from some corny lines here and there the English version actually wasn't that terrible from a script and voice acting standpoint (though it is kind of weird they westernized everyone's first name but not their last, changing Alice to Clara was a weird choice too) and I didn't notice much in the way of cut content. They also seem to have a problem using the word "Selfish" for some reason (the monsters are now called Disdain instead).

Overall it seems like a much better effort than Smile's adaption was at any rate, does it last or do things start to go downhill eventually (as mentioned before, the dub did cut 19 whole episodes from the original run)?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It goes downhill quickly. They do everything they can to erase any sense that Rikka's friendship with Mana is anything but platonic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume a lot of the stuff with Regina is also toned down considerably (and possibly Makato’s backstory as well). Also, out of the 19 episodes inexplicably cut from the dub were any of them particularly plot relevant?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I know at least the episode where the team gets their winged upgrade is cut out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I know at least the episode where the team gets their winged upgrade is cut out.

So what, do they just have it later with no explanation or something? Also does this do any weird footage splicing like they did with Smile?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

sometimes, yeah, to combine cut episodes into one

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Assuming Hasbro actually does something with the license, Fresh or Go Princess would probably be the best choices for future dubs in my opinion (or alternatively you could go back a ways and do Splash Star, Yes 5 or another attempt at Futari), though some aspects of the former might be a little too dark for an American kids show. Heartcatch would also probably be a bit tough to adapt (it has one of the highest body counts of any Precure season, and related there's also pretty much everything having to do with Yuri and Dark Precure). Though whether a potential new Glitter Force adaption would actually be any better than Saban's attempts remains to be seen. I personally think you could make Precure work in the west, you'd just have to market the hell out of it in order to get it to stick.

Come to think of it, has Hasbro ever actually dubbed an anime before? If so, how did it turn out?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

if they are going to do Precure they probably should aim for the modern ones and I'd start with Go first

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Go Princess would probably be the best starting point (subject matter that's easily identifiable to young girls, good message, and a fairly big number of toys you could sell), Kira Kira might work in that regard as well.

Come to think of it, did either Glitter Force season even have any merchandise released to go with it? Also, was there a particular reason why they couldn't just call the show Pretty Cure?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Go Princess would probably be the best starting point (subject matter that's easily identifiable to young girls, good message, and a fairly big number of toys you could sell), Kira Kira might work in that regard as well.

Come to think of it, did either Glitter Force season even have any merchandise released to go with it? Also, was there a particular reason why they couldn't just call the show Pretty Cure?

Pretty Cure is a weird combination of words.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so is Glitter Force

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I think I saw a glitter force backpack floating around last time I went to town a few years ago.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Pretty Cure is a weird combination of words.

I've always assumed the name Pretty Cure stemmed from the fact that they were young girls whose powers generally revolve around purification (in other words, they are literally curing the afflicted object or person). Though this doesn't really seem to apply to the original team as most of their fights involved obliterating their opponents with giant fuckoff beam attacks (they had one purifying move but I think they only used it like twice in the whole series).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

I've always assumed the name Pretty Cure stemmed from the fact that they were young girls whose powers generally revolve around purification (in other words, they are literally curing the afflicted object or person). Though this doesn't really seem to apply to the original team as most of their fights involved obliterating their opponents with giant fuckoff beam attacks (they had one purifying move but I think they only used it like twice in the whole series).

Pretty Cure title was taken from the photo sticker booth in the 00's and Toei just switched to the short form officially after awhile just cause everyone used it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Pretty Cure title was taken from the photo sticker booth in the 00's and Toei just switched to the short form officially after awhile just cause everyone used it

Huh you’re right, “purikura” was apparently originally Japanese shorthand for “Print Club”. I guess the common westernization of Pretty Cure came from them just spelling it out phonetically (this series is big on puns if you haven’t noticed).

As I mentioned though, you can rationalize why they’re called Cures (most of their powers involve healing and purification) even if it’s not the official explanation.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
The Futari wa theme song has a line "puriti de kyua kyua" which was translated as "pretty and pure", so I assumed kyua actually meant pure. Now that I look it up, though, I can't find any meaning for it other than just a transliteration of cure, and lyrics for the theme song capitalise kyua in the same way as other English loanwords, so I guess it just is Cure.

There was also a recurring gag in Futari wa where one character called them the Purikyura.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kanade. Hibiki. You have an enemy that can change what she looks like. You have seen her use this ability multiple times. You have seen her change into many different looking kinds of people.

How hard is it to go "Gee this person I know sure is acting funny and saying they don't remember doing this thing from five minutes ago, guess it must be Siren up to her tricks again."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You see, it’s very simple

Hibiki and Kanade are extremely stupid

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1112146034476630024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

You see, it’s very simple

Hibiki and Kanade are extremely stupid
Hibiki may be one of my favorite Pinks but yeah, the girls aren't that bright.

Anyway, Star Twinkle 9: Tonight on The Path of Precure, after the goofy space adventures of last week, we spend an episode inside Madoka's head. I've always been a fan of over-the-top rival characters like Utena's Nanami or Reina from Doki Doki, so having Sakurako take the spotlight (and become the MotW) was a fun way to spend the time. The focus on donuts just makes me think of Kirara, which is rather fitting.

The team is recovering the Princess Pens amazingly quickly, this week they rescued Capricorn which enhanced Madoka's arrow. This episode also confirms that the monsters this season are indeed called NoTriggers.

Next week: Another space adventure!

Since barring some kind of big catastrophe it seems obvious at this point that all 12 Princesses will likely be restored long before the end of the series I'm curious if the MOTW plots will just disappear entirely at that point or if they'll find some new way of making them (or at least bring in a general with a transforming gimmick ala Kira Kira).

I still hope the princesses get a chance to be actual characters at some point and won't just be stuck in their respective castles the whole time. Plus we still need to introduce our mystery girl from the OP at some point (I think there's at least two NotRaider generals left unaccounted for at the moment as well).

Also, some new episode titles have been released indicating that Lala will start attending school with Hikaru and the others at some point, that should be fun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Plus we still need to introduce our mystery girl from the OP at some point (I think there's at least two NotRaider generals left unaccounted for at the moment as well).

I think all the NotRaider Generals from the opening have showed up.

Kappard, was at the bottom, Ayewan to the right, Tenjou the left, Bakenyan the center, and Garogre above them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think all the NotRaider Generals from the opening have showed up.

Kappard, was at the bottom, Ayewan to the right, Tenjou the left, Bakenyan the center, and Garogre above them.

Ah ok. Still no reason they can’t bring in some new enemies later on though (it’s happened before). Plus we still haven't seen what Garogre can actually do yet (he seems to be the one in charge at the moment until their actual leader is inevitably revived later down the line).

On another note, Precure is kind of unique in a regard. It's technically a shoujo anime but the main focus is more on action and character building. Romance plots do pop up but they generally either don't go anywhere significant or exist but aren't that big a focus in the grand scheme of things (hell, a number of Cures seem to be more into each other than they are in guys, not that that's a bad thing mind you). Also a lot of story elements we've seen over the years wouldn't be that out of place in a "boy's" anime to be honest. This coupled with the obvious nods to Sentai, Kamen Rider and Dragon Ball are generally what make me consider this more of a tokusatsu show than your average magical girl anime.

Though of course we probably have Sailor Moon to thank for why this series exists at all as that's what kind of started the whole Magical Girl team aspect (though Precure takes it a step farther what with a larger focus on the team dynamic and letting people who aren't the main character be important as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 31, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for episode 9. Sakurako seems fun, I hope she shows up more often and doesn’t just disappear for a long stretch of time like Reina and Ranko did. We also see Madoka channeling her inner Kirara.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah I hope they do a lot more with Sakurako.

This episode just kind of...ended. What I mean is, I thought we were going to get a scene where Madoka's father chews her out for skipping out on her lessons just to hang out with some friends, but we didn't get that. I'm also wondering if the archery competition is just something that just got brought up as another "thing Madoka has to be the best at" or if it'll actually show up in an episode (for that matter, I was thinking that her having to shoot the pen out of Eyewan's hand was going to be shown as helping her to focus at said archery competition). I guess considering that the focus was on Madoka having fun and learning about how everyone else works hard too, and then we had to have a fight, that it was pretty obvious there wouldn't be much more simply because the episode was almost over at that point.

I guess it's also way too early in the series to have Madoka butt heads with her dad, that seems more like mid/late season character development. And while I realize that her dad really only showed up as a plot device to have her start stressing and then resolved by having fun with the others, it really does feel like an incomplete episode without seeing the repercussions of her missing all her classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh I have no doubt there’s going to be a confrontation between Madoka and her dad before the end of the series, the question is more a matter of when and how it turns out.

Also considering there’s already an ongoing government investigation into the current situation I’d kind of like to see the Precure get their identities revealed a bit prior to the final arc if only to see what the fallout from that would be (there’s already 3 aliens involved with the group so far after all counting Fuwa and Prunce, possibly 4 depending on what happens with our inevitable fifth Cure later on).

Speaking of which, Fresh was actually one of the better shows in regards to that. The girls revealed themselves to their family and friends about 5-6 episodes prior to the finale which gave the show some time to get some good character interactions in regarding it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 2, 2019