Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mikeycp posted:

watching through the older ones and he does that sometimes

the rant about japanese film in general before dead or alive was...a lot for me to handle

i keep watching because it feels like these things come from being an old white texan rather than intentional shittiness, but it's not great when it does pop up
Keep in mind that Joe Bob Briggs is a character of John Irving Bloom so I’m not sure how much of it is a “real” opinion versus playacting but I guess he’s saying these things either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yes remember everybody, this is 2019 and you can no longer play a character who says things you don't personally agree with.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Joe Bob the character was causing controversy with racist statements back in the 80's with people who didn't realize or care that Bloom was doing a satire of a dumb Texas redneck with backwards opinions who also happened to love and know a lot about trash drive-in movies. How much is satirical now, though, who knows.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

King Vidiot posted:

Yes remember everybody, this is 2019 and you can no longer play a character who says things you don't personally agree with.

I am not sure what it being a character changes about things tbh

Like the whole thing people are responding to is that it didnt seem like he was playing

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

n/m

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 31, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hollismason posted:

I'll be rabbiting these so that the best alternative if you can't get it live.

Awesome!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like the whole thing people are responding to is that it didnt seem like he was playing

i legit didn't know it's a character since i hadn't heard of him before i got shudder

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

King Vidiot posted:

It's not like he's playing a bad guy in an episode of King of the Hill. He's just ranting like he's doing a standup bit, whether he believes the lovely unfunny things he's saying or not doesn't really matter.

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1033506727352782849

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen Joe Bob Briggs since the '90s or so so I like have no memory or context for how offensive he was or is now. But like, you can have an offensive character if they've got someone countering them or some context to make clear that they're the bad guy. But if its just a guy sitting in a chair talking to the cameras then that's the only view point. So if that guy is racist or something then your show is gonna come off racist.

I basically haven't watched Joe Bob because I was a little worried about how it would age. Although I'm debating a May Marathon gimmick where I try and track down 13 classic Horror Hosts with classic/new movies for me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen Joe Bob Briggs since the '90s or so so I like have no memory or context for how offensive he was or is now. But like, you can have an offensive character if they've got someone countering them or some context to make clear that they're the bad guy. But if its just a guy sitting in a chair talking to the cameras then that's the only view point. So if that guy is racist or something then your show is gonna come off racist.

God I just got into a similar debate the other day that you cannot say something is meant to be seen as a joke if nothing is done to make it not be seen as honest and I am glad it turns out I am not completely insane for thinking so.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, you CAN mean something as a joke. But if a ton of your audience didn't "get" the joke then you should take a step back and say "maybe my delivery was off." Every joke isn't funny so the idea that if the audience reacts badly to your joke and gets the opposite idea of it then you intended it must be their fault and not yours is just basic arrogance and lack of the basic humility to say "I make mistakes" at best.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is there a better-looking black-and-white horror film than Black Sunday? Because I can't think of one.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is there a better-lookinh black-and-white horror film than Black Sunday? Because I can't think of one.

Bride of Frankenstein, Repulsion, Cat People, The Haunting...

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

DeimosRising posted:

Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. But then I'm a bit partial to that Expressionist style.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Black Sunday is definitely up there though. In my top 5 for sure.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I haven't seen Reanimator in 20 years and didn't realize how it just straight up ripped off Psycho's score, haha. Also, it's greater than I remember.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Darko posted:

I haven't seen Reanimator in 20 years and didn't realize how it just straight up ripped off Psycho's score, haha. Also, it's greater than I remember.

It’s just the Psycho theme with 80s hi-hat drum sound.

But the Psycho theme plus 80s hi-hat drum sound is awesome.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, I'm not complaining. It's just that when the credits started, I was like, "that's Psycho without the extended string section" and then the string section kicked in and I was like, "come on."

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Mark Hamill is the voice of the new Chucky in the CHILD'S PLAY reboot.

I always said that I wanted to see Brad Dourif cast as The Joker, so this is like some weird inverse genie wish for me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wow that's quite possibly the only replacement I would ever accept

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah he’s going to be real good at that character. Pretty much the perfect casting to not piss off nerds.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wow that's quite possibly the only replacement I would ever accept

I know any replacement of Dourif would be automatically starting off on the back foot. However, I'm curious if Hamill is gonna play this closer to his Joker voice, which I could see being more distracting than anything. Like, I don't wanna spend the whole movie remembering that one "Batman: TAS" episode where the Joker was stringing along the mayor's idiot son.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I forgot they resurrected Orion Pictures

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Class3KillStorm posted:

Mark Hamill is the voice of the new Chucky in the CHILD'S PLAY reboot.

I always said that I wanted to see Brad Dourif cast as The Joker, so this is like some weird inverse genie wish for me.

I love Mark Hamil as much as the next nerd, but why replace Brad Dourif? I'm still going to see the movie, it just feels like a weird thing to do.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I love Mark Hamil as much as the next nerd, but why replace Brad Dourif? I'm still going to see the movie, it just feels like a weird thing to do.

Unless Dourif's going to stick with Mancini's films which is a possibility.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

M_Sinistrari posted:

Unless Dourif's going to stick with Mancini's films which is a possibility.

Ah, yeah that makes sense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I'm following this right its because this is the Studio taking their rights to "Child's Play" and running off a reboot without Mancini and Dourif. But supposedly Mancini's still working on a followup for Cult of Chucky. So we have a Night of the Living Dead situation.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

There’s a whole thing here, IP-wise that makes this weird. Like it’s a new Child’s Play movie but explicitly is not related to the whole Charles Lee Ray plot, as Don Mancini still owns that part of it and is doing his own TV show.

e:fb

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

There’s a whole thing here, IP-wise that makes this weird. Like it’s a new Child’s Play movie but explicitly is not related to the whole Charles Lee Ray plot, as Don Mancini still owns that part of it and is doing his own TV show.

e:fb

Isn't the TV show gonna be out soonish? I know they recently announced it's gonna air on SyFy, so I figured they must be getting close to being able to give a premiere date/window soon. Especially if they wanna feed off of the buzz around the reboot (though maybe they won't bother, as the reboot has been seeming to stay under everyone's radar to this point).

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm trying to think of a voice other than "The Joker" that Mark Hamill can do to sound menacing. I feel like it's just gonna be the joker voice. Also! Does Mancini own the rights to the Chucky name? Is the doll named something different in the new movie? Sorry I've not kept up with the reboot and haven't seen any marketing materials.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Because this movie is being made through a rights loophoole that locks out Dourif and Mancini. Someone wanted to make money off the Chucky IP but didn't want to work with or share that money with the people who created and own Chucky.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Untrustable posted:

I'm trying to think of a voice other than "The Joker" that Mark Hamill can do to sound menacing. I feel like it's just gonna be the joker voice. Also! Does Mancini own the rights to the Chucky name? Is the doll named something different in the new movie? Sorry I've not kept up with the reboot and haven't seen any marketing materials.

a slight twist on his Skips from Regular Show could be terrifyingly masculine but i cant imagine it as Chucky without veering into Jokerland

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Troy Baker did a pretty good Joker. They should just get Troy Baker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. But then I'm a bit partial to that Expressionist style.

I'll take Faust over Caligari. Caligari is a great film, but it's still very much shot in the "proscenium arch" style. Faust was groundbreaking.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Mark Hamill could be good, but I still say they should've gone with Bill Skarsgard. I mean it's "from the producer of It", even! And Skarsgard has already shown he can do a menacing high-pitched voice, poo poo he could probably do the digitized pre-evil voice too.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DeimosRising posted:

All good choices, but I don't think any of them are better. Maybe Repulsion in its strongest scenes, but even it isn't as consistently striking.

Jedit posted:

I'll take Faust over Caligari. Caligari is a great film, but it's still very much shot in the "proscenium arch" style. Faust was groundbreaking.

This I'll concede though. Faust looks absolutely incredible.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Untrustable posted:

honestly just his regular voice has enough menace in it that even a little more inflection will sound great. As far as replacing Dourif goes he's a fantastic choice.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Untrustable posted:

Troy Baker did a pretty good Joker. They should just get Troy Baker.

No way, they should get Anthony Ingruber. He's the guy who did the Joker's voice in the Telltale Batman games and he did an amazing job.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Summer of ’84 is very tonally odd in a way I can’t quite put my finger on. I go in expecting that its picking up on the fad of 80s horror nostalgia and it certainly delivers on the aesthetics like wardrobe and that synth soundtrack. But there’s something kind of empty about it. It feels forced or something. And it lacks the kind of whimsy or fun or something that was in a lot of that stuff. Whereas I was kind of expecting a story of a kid and his friends having some adventures and flirting with the pretty girl as they investigate their conspiracy it was kind of this somber, very straight low key tale of a bunch of kids who kind of go along with their paranoid buddy’s stuff because they want to avoid the lovely stuff happening at home. And then the ending feels… mean. I’m a horror fan, I can do mean. But something about it just caught me off guard and made me feel really bad about it. Its like for 90 minutes I’m kind of just half bored but kind of feeling bad for these kids going through poo poo that is only slightly being touched on while we focus on a bored kid’s overactive imagination. And then the next… mean. I don’t know what I really think of this but it definitely wasn’t what I went in expecting/hoping for.

tldr: I was expecting "Summer of '84" to be a King-esque tale of kids spending a summer growing up and finding love and friendship while hunting a monster. Instead it was a really sad story of the summer where a bunch of kids had their lives ruined forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think the lack of whimsy is deliberate. The movie shapes up like it's going to be Monster Squad but never gets that silly, and then it takes a turn and you understand what it actually was going for.