Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean, it seems obvious they just want to be bigots. I don’t know how else you can explain these hyperventilating over a trans woman winning a race as if it’s the end of womenhood. Unlike say, I dunno, a drunken rapist getting onto the Supreme Court.

Also how they constantly flirt with the old religious right-wing group without giving a single thought on how they’re romping around with old men who are fighting tooth and nail to secure the patriarchy’s future after they die. It’s almost as if they have given up on feminism in lieu of crusades against types of people they simply don’t like :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

"clickable titles"

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Looking over the response to the latest Contra video on twitter, and the glincel/mumsnet set is pretty much ignoring it.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Pants Donkey posted:

I mean, it seems obvious they just want to be bigots. I dont know how else you can explain these hyperventilating over a trans woman winning a race as if its the end of womenhood. Unlike say, I dunno, a drunken rapist getting onto the Supreme Court.

Also how they constantly flirt with the old religious right-wing group without giving a single thought on how theyre romping around with old men who are fighting tooth and nail to secure the patriarchys future after they die. Its almost as if they have given up on feminism in lieu of crusades against types of people they simply dont like :thunk:

Intersectionality is a sword that cuts both ways, I guess.

Somebody who calls themselves a feminist could easily be bigoted in other ways, too.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Spark That Bled posted:

Intersectionality is a sword that cuts both ways, I guess.

Somebody who calls themselves a feminist could easily be bigoted in other ways, too.
Oh, absolutely. There’s a reason people refer to white feminism, after all.

Although it’s usually more low-key and not laser-focused like terfs.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I Before E posted:

I'd never heard of this Griffin guy before this but his takes rule, love to see someone standing up for Ang Lee's Hulk

He’s real loving good in the recent live-action The Tick show.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
he has a very good movie podcast called Blank Check

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m really into the efficiency of this one. It seems to cover more ground than the last few without sacrificing the performative qualities she’s been cultivating over the last few years.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

So that video, as well as other articles I’ve watched/read on similar topics, spends a lot of time talking about what gender isn’t. It isn’t what genitals someone has; it isn’t their personality; it isn’t their appearance or how they conform to stereotypes; it isn’t their role in society or what prejudice they’ve experienced. That’s all fine, but it still doesn’t answer the most important question: what is gender, then, if not any of the above? How does someone define it?

I want to make it clear that I don’t agree with the groups Contra is complaining about. Above all else I believe that people should mind their own business and not dictate to others how to live their lives, and that includes telling them what bathrooms to use and so on. Nevertheless the underlying argument, that gender is a social construct with no intrinsic meaning, basically aligns with how I see the world. I just can’t comprehend the idea of gender identity and what it feels like to have one.

Apologies in advance if I said something offensive. I didn’t intend to, but it’s a sensitive topic so I might have ended up doing so.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bakeneko posted:

what is gender

a social construct that means jack poo poo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gender is a gently caress kill em all 1989

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Bakeneko posted:

So that video, as well as other articles I’ve watched/read on similar topics, spends a lot of time talking about what gender isn’t. It isn’t what genitals someone has; it isn’t their personality; it isn’t their appearance or how they conform to stereotypes; it isn’t their role in society or what prejudice they’ve experienced. That’s all fine, but it still doesn’t answer the most important question: what is gender, then, if not any of the above? How does someone define it?

The problem is that, while it's very clear that gender is a thing that exists in people's brains, and many people feel extremely strongly that they are a particular gender, it's so inextricably tied to social and cultural factors that it is impossible to come up with a good definition of it that covers everything. We're stuck with the same kind of vague definitions as "what is love?" or "what is obscenity?"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Puppy Time posted:

We're stuck with the same kind of vague definitions as "what is love?"

Baby dont hurt me

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 31, 2019

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Spark That Bled posted:

Neil Breen might be a true auteur film-maker.

He released a video talking about how he was going to release a guide to film-making. I want this to usher in Breen Wave school of film and have others follow his ways.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The real answer is 'gender' is an entirely social construct that varies depending on culture, time period, sub-culture, and countless other factors and has always been a very vague concept that is shaped by social roles and statuses more than what you actually have between your legs.

The better answer is

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Gender is a gently caress kill em all 1989

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

Some excellent reading on the subject

relevant passage posted:

Below we will review some influential gender nominalist and gender realist positions. Before doing so, it is worth noting that not everyone is convinced that attempts to articulate an inclusive category of women can succeed or that worries about what it is to be a woman are in need of being resolved. Mikkola (2016) argues that feminist politics need not rely on overcoming (what she calls) the ‘gender controversy’: that feminists must settle the meaning of gender concepts and articulate a way to ground women’s social kind membership. As she sees it, disputes about ‘what it is to be a woman’ have become theoretically bankrupt and intractable, which has generated an analytical impasse that looks unsurpassable. Instead, Mikkola argues for giving up the quest, which in any case (she argues) poses no serious political obstacles.

The gender critical position holds the opposite view. That the categories of woman/man must be perfectly defined before feminist action can be taken. They argue that dominant transgender conceptions of sex/gender make it impossible to discuss and address the material oppressions cis women experience. Ironically, they've sidelined discussions and activism relating to these oppressions all by themselves and created a useless feminism fixated on terminology battles and snarking off at trans people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

stillvisions posted:

He released a video talking about how he was going to release a guide to film-making. I want this to usher in Breen Wave school of film and have others follow his ways.

'You can't go wrong with making people think you're sitting next to a tiger.'

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

Some excellent reading on the subject

The gender critical position holds the opposite view. That the categories of woman/man must be perfectly defined before feminist action can be taken. They argue that dominant transgender conceptions of sex/gender make it impossible to discuss and address the material oppressions cis women experience. Ironically, they've sidelined discussions and activism relating to these oppressions all by themselves and created a useless feminism fixated on terminology battles and snarking off at trans people.

It’s like white fragility where suburban dads start screaming about how blm is oppressing them and destroying white people by asserting a right to exist, only particular to bourgeois women who are probably extremely fragile wrt race.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
OSW Review covers the 2019 Royal Rumble. I'll admit I'm a wrestling fan, but 7-hour PPVs kill my interest instantly.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

rudecyrus posted:

OSW Review covers the 2019 Royal Rumble. I'll admit I'm a wrestling fan, but 7-hour PPVs kill my interest instantly.

Same. While I'm looking forward to Wrestlemania, I am not looking forward to what is rumored to be an 8 hour show.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Riley J. Dennis seems to be testing the waters of the media analysis video essay pool with her latest (and quite good) video about relationships in the recent Netflix series She-Ra and the Princesses of Power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXQ1QCFFcd4

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 1, 2019

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Kyle Kallgren did an absolutely stellar job with this video tutorial on getting the "Loving Vincent" effect in After Effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B4LWBq39NM

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8MbwOfS6kA

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpmJkPNJ2VM

This movie owned

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure this is one continuous take and god drat I admire that level of commitment to a bit

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Unlike Tolkein the comics and the movies are owned by the same people and presumably the owner of the comics should want the comics to do well and reach an audience of everyone who would want to read them,

Comics are already reaching everyone who wants to read them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s been a long time coming but it’s finally happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHPNgIihR0

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Every single video posted today deserves a big golden xD sticker

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I really love the april fools fakeout videos that kyle and dan posted, they’re set up to look like april fools joke videos but they’re actually really good videos on the subject

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah I used to be in the "fortnite has reasonable monetization! look, it doesn't even have lootboxes!" crowd but the sheen wore off eventually and that video is a good explanation of alllllllll the manipulative, skeevy poo poo that's in there

the marshmallow concert specifically calling out for you to perform your favorite emote was particularly insidious lmao

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the fact that you have to pay money to have the right to endlessly grind for costumes is pretty uhhh yeah...

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dan's shirt in that video owns.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Augus posted:

the fact that you have to pay money to have the right to endlessly grind for costumes is pretty uhhh yeah...

the worst thing is that i still look back on my time doing the season pass stuff as "fun" just because of the inherent satisfaction of completing challenges and getting stuff

i mean i guess you can boil down most games to that lmao, but it comes off a lot differently when it's in service to monetization poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Augus posted:

You could also not pay at all and still have fun.

The costumes don’t help anything or affect game play other than silly animation.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CelticPredator posted:

The costumes don’t help anything or affect game play other than silly animation.

I’m well aware of this but if you do want the cosmetics you have to buy the battle pass and then grind to get your money’s worth before the season ends and the costumes become unavailable forever which is a stupid and uncool way of making money

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 1, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CelticPredator posted:

Is this like when people say, you don't have to buy lootboxes so therefore they are completely ok and no problem

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Challenges are a gameplay feature carved out of the potential baseline to be sold back as paid content. It absolutely affects gameplay.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I honestly don’t relate to gamers at all any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CelticPredator posted:

I honestly don’t relate to gamers at all any more.

I don’t play fortnite and I don’t actually care about the items in the battle pass I just think it’s kinda scummy to have your monetization model be “pay to be able to grind for cosmetics” instead of “pay for cosmetics”