Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When you need oil changes every 2 thousand miles and major service and sometimes even complete engine rebuilds at 25-50k miles...

Supercars are incredibly dumb for anything but a "Im Jay Leno and have mechanics on staff and more money than I could ever spend" kind of guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not so much that 20k is a lot for a well maintained supercar, it's more that it's around the time that those kinds of cars need MAJOR service. Like $10k clutches and poo poo.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-ferrari-488-gtb-3/

This is gonna go for so much money, but goddamn, is it beautiful.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 29, 2019

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

I was under impression that "supercars" like Ford GT and above mentioned Lambo are based of real world workhorse power plants and make competent daily drivers. The V10 is in plentora of cars, easily reaching 100k miles without much more than basic maintenance, or so cursory google search tells me. I'm sure replacing 365 width tires every 10k miles is a burden, but not "double your purchase price" kind.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Supercar manufacturers do stupid poo poo. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiKNNgkv0K8

If you don't know how to drive a single clutch automated transmission, you'll burn through it in 5k miles.

Edit: And the Lambo I linked, while a badass special edition, only has 542hp, a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds and a 199mph top speed.

That's fast, but the Jaguar F-TYPE SVR has 575hp, does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and has a 200mph top speed for not a whole lot more. And comes with a warranty.

Double Edit: And the Lambo is so cheap because it had two accidents, one of which had an airbag deploy. Pass.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 29, 2019

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It says so in the BAT thread but modern Ferraris have transferable 7 year B2B warranty and free maintenance.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

It says so in the BAT thread but modern Ferraris have transferable 7 year B2B warranty and free maintenance.

That's pretty awesome. Too bad that 488 is going to go for well more than my house is worth.

Edit: The warranty is 3 years and the maintenance is 7.

https://www.continentalferrari.com/service/ferrari-warranty/

I'll tell you what - if you cover half the price, I'll buy a Portofino and sleep well at night knowing I won't have to worry about maintenance costs.

Double edit: They make up for the maintenance costs by charging over 4 grand for Car Play

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 29, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nitrox posted:

I was under impression that "supercars" like Ford GT and above mentioned Lambo are based of real world workhorse power plants and make competent daily drivers. The V10 is in plentora of cars, easily reaching 100k miles without much more than basic maintenance, or so cursory google search tells me. I'm sure replacing 365 width tires every 10k miles is a burden, but not "double your purchase price" kind.

Pretty much by definition if a supercar can be used as a daily driver, its no longer a supercar. Part of what makes a supercar a supercar is that the engine tolerances are ridiculous small and unpratical. Its only consideration is performance and not comfort, reliability or durability. Its the same reason NASCAR engines need to be rebuilt after almost every race. If you can drive a certain Lambo model to 100k without major service, its a sports car, not a supercar. Also who would want to drive one that much anyways? Get an E Class AMG you crazy gently caress.

But this is a dumb semantics argument anyways. There are like 1000 supercars in all of the USA being used privately anyways.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 29, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To drive it home, have a Hoovie.

https://youtu.be/PoviOeSzmME

That being said, I could totally handle $4k/year for an unlimited mile 12 year warranty.... Might not be such a bad deal after all..

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's only $4k?

That's not nearly as bad as I was remembering. If you're willing to deal with having it off the road for repairs (and that goes with any supercar) then maybe that's a good choice if you can find one that is in/can be put on warranty.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

It's only $4k?

That's not nearly as bad as I was remembering. If you're willing to deal with having it off the road for repairs (and that goes with any supercar) then maybe that's a good choice if you can find one that is in/can be put on warranty.

Apparently, pretty much all of them can as long as it's less than 12 years old. I also got a quote on the warranty for the Aston, and it's basically the same. I think the McLaren is 100% worth it if I can find one like the BaT one for ~100k or less. That particular one won't be - it's optioned out to the nines.

Everyone says they're amazing to drive and I can't imagine being happier with a car in its price range.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

zapplez posted:

Pretty much by definition if a supercar can be used as a daily driver, its no longer a supercar. Part of what makes a supercar a supercar is that the engine tolerances are ridiculous small and unpratical. Its only consideration is performance and not comfort, reliability or durability. Its the same reason NASCAR engines need to be rebuilt after almost every race. If you can drive a certain Lambo model to 100k without major service, its a sports car, not a supercar. Also who would want to drive one that much anyways? Get an E Class AMG you crazy gently caress.

But this is a dumb semantics argument anyways. There are like 1000 supercars in all of the USA being used privately anyways.
there never was a definition of what supercar is, it's a marketing gimmick term used by everyone and everything in the way they see fit. So, whatever

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why didn't anyone mention a brand new V10 R8 starts at $140k for the RWD version? That's a smoking deal and they barely depreciate.

Edit: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/767987826/overview/

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 31, 2019

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I failed to convince my roommate not to buy a 2013 Charger with 145k miles. I’m doing damage control right now, it’s one of those lots that has a 7 day return period and they already dropped the price from $11,800 to $9,100 and I’m hoping if we bring it back in on the 6th day they will go down a bit more and make it reasonable. Hopefully $7-8k, since there’s one with a better audio system and 118k miles for $7,500 near here.

It’s one of those super scummy dealerships that does “0% interest” but really just factors it into the weekly payments so even if you pay it off early you’re not saving anything. He at least got it checked out and they didn’t find anything wrong with it. I told him to save some money for new tires, though. The dealership did that thing where they put good-looking new tires on it but they’re $50 wal-mart specials they probably buy in bulk. Not going to be fun on a RWD muscle car in the snow.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

In no way would buying a Veloster Type N be a good financial decision as I’m still paying about 700 dollars in debt payments each month (mostly student loans) but god drat I want one.

I haven’t had or really needed a car in 4 years but now I’m itching to have one to be able to run errands, go camping, and go fast.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I failed to convince my roommate not to buy a 2013 Charger with 145k miles. I’m doing damage control right now, it’s one of those lots that has a 7 day return period and they already dropped the price from $11,800 to $9,100 and I’m hoping if we bring it back in on the 6th day they will go down a bit more and make it reasonable. Hopefully $7-8k, since there’s one with a better audio system and 118k miles for $7,500 near here.

It’s one of those super scummy dealerships that does “0% interest” but really just factors it into the weekly payments so even if you pay it off early you’re not saving anything. He at least got it checked out and they didn’t find anything wrong with it. I told him to save some money for new tires, though. The dealership did that thing where they put good-looking new tires on it but they’re $50 wal-mart specials they probably buy in bulk. Not going to be fun on a RWD muscle car in the snow.

At this point I'm just wondering why you feel responsible for your roommates decisions or well being. They're an adult. You've made a recommendation or said your piece. Understand that you don't have control over other human beings and that's that.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm also not seeing whats so terrible about a large sedan for a guy with a kid seat. He could have bought something Japanese but would likely have spent substantially more money or had to have gone older.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

One way to get smart(er) about cars is to be dumb about them a few times. Let him enjoy the car and live with whatever problems he has. He'll learn.

It's his decision. You don't have to agree with it.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deteriorata posted:

One way to get smart(er) about cars is to be dumb about them a few times. Let him enjoy the car and live with whatever problems he has. He'll learn.

Actually not bad advice. A bunch of my coworkers got suckered into those Dodge Journey specials for 20,000 OTD CDN a few years ago (which was an amazing price for a SUV, considering a base RAV4 or CR-V was about 29k). They all rusted to poo poo in a few years, and had their trannies explode, eat brakes constantly, would break down on the regular. None of them drive Fiat's anymore. Mostly on Kia/Hyundai SUVs now, a much better choice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, at a certain point I just told him “I’m not going to tell you it is a good idea, but I know I can’t change your mind so let’s try to get a better price at least.”

I found a 2006 M35X that would be the same price even after a full term of lovely interest at the same miles with better features, and a G35X that was similar, as well as the other cheap nice Japanese cars, but he’s got to make his own mistakes. Including paying $200/mo for what is almost certainly crappy insurance :gonk:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Okay, so here's the current plan.

The R8 RWS is a limited run thing, they're only making 320 in the US / 999 world wide and it's been out for a year. I figure if I go to the dealership this week and put a down payment on a custom order, it will take about 6-9 months (minimum) for it to come in - plenty of time to save up for the admittedly hefty price (~$150k as I would order it). It's a lot of money, but it's also a NA mid engine V10 (with a Lamborghini engine!) RWD supercar - everything I was looking for. It might not have the showstopping looks of a real Lambo, but it has a factory warranty and is half the price.

DeMurro said the more expensive trim (basically the same car with AWD, a tune and a trick steering system) was 9/10ths of a Hurrican, so that's got me pretty confident I'll love it.

Any good reasons for me not to go this route?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

Have you ever driven an R8? Any R8 in any trim at all?

If not, I suggest you go rent one first.

I guess I would describe them as clinically sterile in comparison to most any other high end ports car and certainly super car I've ever driven or been around. I'm not just talking about the looks.

If they float your boat then awesome - that sounds like a good deal. But be sure. If you've driven a Hurrican and it's true that they are in fact 9/10ths of one (in performance) it's got a wildly different user experience. I'm assuming a Hurrican is basically a better/newer Gallardo, and if that's the case I can assure you there is no comparison in driving experience. Maybe you want something that is just like a daily driver but really goddamn fast and sounds good - great, R8 yourself right on up. But if you want something that makes you a little bit nervous about unlocking the door in the morning it ain't gonna deliver.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Have you ever driven an R8? Any R8 in any trim at all?

If not, I suggest you go rent one first.

I guess I would describe them as clinically sterile in comparison to most any other high end ports car and certainly super car I've ever driven or been around. I'm not just talking about the looks.

If they float your boat then awesome - that sounds like a good deal. But be sure. If you've driven a Hurrican and it's true that they are in fact 9/10ths of one (in performance) it's got a wildly different user experience. I'm assuming a Hurrican is basically a better/newer Gallardo, and if that's the case I can assure you there is no comparison in driving experience. Maybe you want something that is just like a daily driver but really goddamn fast and sounds good - great, R8 yourself right on up. But if you want something that makes you a little bit nervous about unlocking the door in the morning it ain't gonna deliver.

Hmm. This is a good point. Did you drive the first gen or the second gen? What I'm hearing is the first gen is exactly how you describe, but the second gen is much more of a "real" supercar. It's built on the same platform as the Hurican, with the same engine. I imagine RWD only would also make you a lot more... conscious about driving it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 31, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

Hmm. This is a good point. Did you drive the first gen or the second gen? What I'm hearing is the first gen is exactly how you describe, but the second gen is much more of a "real" supercar. It's built on the same platform as the Hurican, with the same engine. I imagine RWD only would also make you a lot more... conscious about driving it.

I believe both that I drove were first gens. So maybe they're just that different now - either way, dropping $1400 on a rental for a weekend seems like cheap money to be sure.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KillHour posted:

It would suck to park that pretty much anywhere that doesn't valet, and the incidentals (insurance, maintenance) will probably bite you hard.

150k seems like a crazy amount for a "This will make me happy!" buy when you can just Turo one for a weekend, but then again if I only needed 6-9 months to save $150k then I would probably be in a position where such a purchase wouldn't really be a bother :3:

Afaik one of the big selling points of the older R8s was the hefty shifter and that's pretty much done away with now???

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

I believe both that I drove were first gens. So maybe they're just that different now - either way, dropping $1400 on a rental for a weekend seems like cheap money to be sure.

Fair enough. The bigger issue is availability. I don't have too many options for exotic rentals here in Buffalo.

Shmee certainly seems to like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAwUb1KbunE

FilthyImp posted:

It would suck to park that pretty much anywhere that doesn't valet, and the incidentals (insurance, maintenance) will probably bite you hard.

I'm not parking it anywhere and Geico quoted me $140/month - way cheaper than any other supercar I've found. Audi includes the first year maintenance for free and the next four cost a total of $1350 with Audi Care, if I purchase them with the vehicle. That's pretty dang reasonable.

quote:

Afaik one of the big selling points of the older R8s was the hefty shifter and that's pretty much done away with now???

Manual option is unfortunately dead, but the dual clutch is apparently very good.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 1, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

Fair enough. The bigger issue is availability. I don't have too many options for exotic rentals here in Buffalo.

It would seem that even if your due diligence budget included "to to miami beach for the weekend" or wherever you can find one that it would we well worth it. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't make purchase decision like that without driving.

Well, I would't make a purchase decision like yours anyway, because it's not my thing - I think we all know I'm broke brained and buy poo poo that needs constant attention because it turns out I like working on things as much as driving them. I'm also dumb and would trade one $140k car for a 12 pack of needy interesting dumpster fires.

E: Redundant Array of Interesting Dumpster-fires is kinda how I roll.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 1, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

It would seem that even if your due diligence budget included "to to miami beach for the weekend" or wherever you can find one that it would we well worth it. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't make purchase decision like that without driving.

Well, I would't make a purchase decision like yours anyway, because it's not my thing - I think we all know I'm broke brained and buy poo poo that needs constant attention because it turns out I like working on things as much as driving them. I'm also dumb and would trade one $140k car for a 12 pack of needy interesting dumpster fires.

This is a great idea, considering I'm sitting on an obscene number of airline miles and credit card points. I'm dumb for not thinking of it - thanks!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

This is a great idea, considering I'm sitting on an obscene number of airline miles and credit card points.

This sounds like a great way to spend them. Also looking at potential used candidates. Weekend car shopping trips.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
Is using Geico to insure a high end car such a good move?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Is using Geico to insure a high end car such a good move?

If you can write an estimate on a Nissan Versa you can write one on an R8. All the estimatics programs have the part numbers, repair times, etc.

You could insure a Pagani through GEICO no sweat but I think they have a maximum insurable value they’ll write.

OP: Check out Chubb and see what their premiums would be for the r8.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My weight lifting coach has 3 Italian exotics, all insured through GEICO.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Presenting Nipples posted:

In no way would buying a Veloster Type N be a good financial decision as I’m still paying about 700 dollars in debt payments each month (mostly student loans) but god drat I want one.

I haven’t had or really needed a car in 4 years but now I’m itching to have one to be able to run errands, go camping, and go fast.

the Veloster is a lot less practical than every other hot hatch on the market

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the Veloster is a lot less practical than every other hot hatch on the market

That av has definitely rustled someone’s jimmies

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheReverend posted:

My weight lifting coach has 3 Italian exotics, all insured through GEICO.

Your lifting coach sounds like a super cool guy and fun to hang out with.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That av has definitely rustled someone’s jimmies

some midwestern mongoloid in AI decided to stan for SE michigan for reasons

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Old Boot posted:

Okay, posted here before re: a Civic, with unrealistic expectations. Diving back into Prius land.

Thank you, thread!

Talked the price of the 2011 down about $1k (EDIT: it was listed at $9,900, about 120k miles) and got about $500 lobbed off the warranty 'cause the drat thing came with only one key. The difference between this and driving something that's held together only by rust and prayer is like night and day.

As a side note, the brakes on my old Honda gave out completely. Happened when I had to move it to another spot on the lot, had to ride the emergency brake. RIP, old girl, to the scrapyard you go.

EDIT: woops

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 1, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

2 things

1. Brakes
3. There isn’t an “emergency” brake in cars. It’s a handbrake or parking brake.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

What warranty?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

2 things

1. Brakes
3. There isn’t an “emergency” brake in cars. It’s a handbrake or parking brake.

I'd gotten used to it being referred to as an emergency break :shrug: Parking break.

Nitrox posted:

What warranty?

I'd have to look up the specifics again, but it looks pretty basic for a Toyota dealership. Not the kind of thing I'd want to drop 1k for, but $500 seemed okay.

vv welp vv

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

There shouldn't be any warranty on the 2011 car. I'm pretty sure the Toyota extended warranty tops out at 7 years. And if you buy in the car from a small dealer's lot, any "warranty" they offer is a scam.