Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

frajaq posted:

lol @ not killing everyone in Fort Deadlight for the loot and influx of money

Lol @ you for not getting best character, Mirke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have never actually figured out how to get Mirke to join you.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"

Oasx posted:

I have never actually figured out how to get Mirke to join you.

Kill Benwick with the harpsichord then talk to Mirke your next time you return to the Fort

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Free Triangle posted:

Kill Benwick with the harpsichord then talk to Mirke your next time you return to the Fort

Not even! I literally spoke to her immediately after and she was all gung-ho about joining my crew!

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Basically, if the DLC is installed, after you kill Benwick and assuming Deadlight isn't hostile to you, just talk to her and she'll be down to join.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
She won't join you if you storm the place though, as she'll go hostile with the rest of the crew. As I found out last playthrough :(

E: oh duh, that'll be what "assuming deadlight isn't hostile" meant

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

kill that pirate ho tbh

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
her vo is great. another missed companion opportunity!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Zane posted:

Mod request: a mirke companion quest where she's got a big idea for one more score. If it fails she gets scammed but if successful she somehow ends up owning a fish and chips stand.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I seem to remember people previously saying that a fully tricked out Bittercut was the best thing to use Helwax Mold on, does that sound about right? (POE1)

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
edit: oops

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Chairchucker posted:

I seem to remember people previously saying that a fully tricked out Bittercut was the best thing to use Helwax Mold on, does that sound about right? (POE1)

I think little savior or shod in faith would be better, since those strongly benefit the whole party. Bittercut puts out good damage, but an extra one is unlikely to make such a dramatic difference.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I think little savior or shod in faith would be better, since those strongly benefit the whole party. Bittercut puts out good damage, but an extra one is unlikely to make such a dramatic difference.

Hmmm well there's never gonna be a circumstance where two of my teammates carry a shield, but maybe I'll check out shod in faith.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Chairchucker posted:

It's the best choice for damage, basically.

Throw your two bittercuts on a monk and things get wild.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Because I didn't use one in my most recent playthrough, I thought I'd have a quick gander at the Monk ability tree :stare:

Almost everything in there is insanely good. I'd probably have trouble choosing things as a single class. Most martial classes have their niches but when you compare the Monk skill tree to the fighter skill tree they seem to be better in so many ways.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I've actually really grown to love Fighters, but yeah, Monks loving rule. The three reasons people recommend single-classing them is that they have a shockingly low number of useless, or even situational, abilities - most of their choices are really drat good; their power level eight and nine abilities are actually pretty great (whispers of the wind might be my favorite ability in the game); and, IIRC, their fists scale well with power level meaning an unarmed monk is always going to be better as a single-class than as a multi-class.

the thing is, everything good about them as a single-class is also good about them multi-classed, you just don't get the best of their best. Monks are pretty crazy good either way

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Zane posted:

I had hoped having a long-eared muppet of a PC character would prevent companions from making awkward romantic overtures. Sidekicks have some advantages.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It's been a while but I think you can only use it on weapons, shields or armor, not accessories. I'm pretty sure you can't use it to get multiple Shod-in-Faiths.

I can vouch for just about any flavor of melee dual-wielder becoming monstrously powerful with two Bittercuts and the corrosive bonus talent.

e: I checked the wiki and apparently it can in fact be used on accessories. Neat! I don't know that it would get me to not go for 2x Bittercuts, but Shod-in-Faith would definitely be up there for support gear choices

En Garde Motherfuckers fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 30, 2019

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Chairchucker posted:

What is Helwax Mold?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
IIRC a stronghold quest reward that makes a duplicate of an item

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
In the beast of winter DLC how do I kill the messenger? My party is currently between level 14 and 16 and no matter how many times I try I can't kill it.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Lucinice posted:

In the beast of winter DLC how do I kill the messenger? My party is currently between level 14 and 16 and no matter how many times I try I can't kill it.

I found using Arcane Dampener when it uses the Safeguard spell critical. The first time I tried the fight it recovered from nearly dead to healthy because of that stupid spell.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Apparently having Infamous Captain will cause lower-level enemies to explode in fear once you get to a high enough level

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I've restarted my PoE playthrough. Got 2 hours in with my Goldpact Paladin, before realizing that this is almost exactly what I did in Deadfire. I was playing with reputation indicators on so that I would pick the "right" options for my order. :downs: Got tired of playing that way.

I've gone for a monk now and I'm unleashing tranquility on my enemies.

When do I get to have a chat with Lord Raedric? His artfully decorated tree in Gilded Vale makes me think he needs to be sent to a rebirth in the hell realms.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Once you get enough rep in Gilded Vale you get a quest to go there.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

You can also head into the wilderness to the east and get the quest in the area before the keep, if you don't want to spend a bunch of time screwing around in Gilded Vale.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
When you take so much of a beating by enemies that Refreshing Defenses is up for 137 rounds

A lot of people have complained about Priests being a lot weaker in this but tbh I haven't noticed that. My Cleric and Xoti can tag team just about anything with all the rezzes/barring death's doors/salvations of time we have. And Xoti hits like a truck with her dps spells. I imagine a Priest that focused specifically on doing offensive damage would be a terror.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Scorchy posted:

Once you get enough rep in Gilded Vale you get a quest to go there.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

You can also head into the wilderness to the east and get the quest in the area before the keep, if you don't want to spend a bunch of time screwing around in Gilded Vale.

Cool. What level should I be to beat him?

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

PirateBob posted:

Cool. What level should I be to beat him?

It's been a while but I think you want to be level 4 or so. Having a full party helps a lot for that quest, you can grab a couple more companions on the way to/at Caed Nua if you haven't already.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

It's the first "oh, gently caress" encounter of the game, so definitely be a well equipped level 4 with a full party before going in. You can also just wait till the beginning of act two, it gets less hectic then

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah I tend to do most of Defiance Bay, then double back and give Raedric an absolutely slapping.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Digital Osmosis posted:

It's the first "oh, gently caress" encounter of the game, so definitely be a well equipped level 4 with a full party before going in. You can also just wait till the beginning of act two, it gets less hectic then

Yeah. If you try to take it before you have a full party, you have to be willing to micro everyone, and potentially make liberal use of the choke point in Raedric's bedroom.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

It's been a while but I think you want to be level 4 or so. Having a full party helps a lot for that quest, you can grab a couple more companions on the way to/at Caed Nua if you haven't already.

I've got Aloth, Eder, Durance and Kana. Who else?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PirateBob posted:

Go South and grab Sagani, who is the best and my friend.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

PirateBob posted:

This is everyone, until you get through Caed Nua. Hiring a custom character can get you to 6 people at this point.

Chairchucker posted:

Go South and grab Sagani, who is the best and my friend.

She's great, but also not available until you clear Caed Nua and enter the "technically Act 2 but haven't gotten around to visiting Defiance Bay yet" phase. Which, admittedly, is an option- Raedric isn't going anywhere.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

At that point in PoE2 where I start needing to upgrade my kit to Superb quality to keep up with pen (though the upgraded Chanter debuff shout helps make up the gap) but I can’t find pyrite anywhere

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

At that point in PoE2 where I start needing to upgrade my kit to Superb quality to keep up with pen (though the upgraded Chanter debuff shout helps make up the gap) but I can’t find pyrite anywhere

You want the merchant at Serpent's Crown, but for some reason she tends to disappear during act 3, so if that happens your only option is the Death Godlike merchant in pirate land (who only rarely gets some in stock).

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
She just goes home during the night, she's got kids to feed.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If she's not there you can just wait a until 10am or so and she'll usually show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
She disappeared for me in Act 3 too. Waited for her couple of days. Maybe she doesn't work on weekends.