Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A 24 pack of unflavored Vintage, absolutely decent "regular" seltzer and my favorite brand, costs me $5-8. It's not expensive.

It's probably a regional thing. You can get any flavor of any brand of seltzer anywhere in the NY metro area + hudson valley without really trying, for instance. But the local piggly-wiggly 5 miles from your driveway in Nowhere, Ohio prolly doesn't keep Vintage Unflavored in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
Guess Shopko has failed to find a buyer or restructure their debt so they will be closing all their stores by this summer. When they first filed Chapter 11 in January, they were only going to close about 1/3 of their stores, then changed it to 2/3 by the end of the month, and now all of them.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shopko-bankruptcy-filing-shopko-stores-is-closing-all-remaining-stores-after-failing-to-find-buyer/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

stevewm posted:

For the cost of a Sodastream setup I just bought a 20LB CO2 tank with regulator and one of these: https://www.morebeer.com/products/kent-fittings-shutoff-qd-set-14-barb-soda-bottle-cap.html

Fits on any standard 20oz or 2 liter bottle. Put cap on, attach to tank, turn on tank, shake for 10-20 seconds, done!

Makes untold gallons of seltzer water and other carbonated things. A refill typically lasts 1-2 years for me. My local paintball place will refill the tank for $8.99

At this point, why not just set up a soda fountain, they use boxes that make up to 5 gallons per bag.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

uli2000 posted:

Guess Shopko has failed to find a buyer or restructure their debt so they will be closing all their stores by this summer. When they first filed Chapter 11 in January, they were only going to close about 1/3 of their stores, then changed it to 2/3 by the end of the month, and now all of them.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shopko-bankruptcy-filing-shopko-stores-is-closing-all-remaining-stores-after-failing-to-find-buyer/

I worked as an ABO optician at one for seven years.

Good.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Queen Combat posted:

I worked as an ABO optician at one for seven years.

Good.
Coming to this post straight from the IOSM thread made me :stare: at "ABO optician" for an extended moment.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
If only people still called it The Omegaverse we could avoid this sort of confusion.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Pakistani politics posted:

I'm a little disappointed that LaCroix is becoming the genericized word for seltzer water. Then again as a kid my Bostonian relative called seltzer "bubble water" so I can't judge. Polar wins out in all cases, though, I know not all regions have Polar. LaCroix isn't bad. And those are my opinions on seltzer water, which I love despite my love of Injustice.

Several people I know have started calling it Spicy Water or Angry Water and I contemplate why I associate myself with this tomfoolery.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
How does anyone call it anything but club soda?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Killswitch posted:

Branding.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Killswitch posted:

Seltzer and sparkling water aren't club soda. If you want to see why it's best not to get them confused, go stir some baking soda and salt into a glass of water and take a gulp. Club soda is loving vile.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

MisterOblivious posted:

Seltzer and sparkling water aren't club soda. If you want to see why it's best not to get them confused, go stir some baking soda and salt into a glass of water and take a gulp. Club soda is loving vile.

Schwepp's Indian Tonic Water is the only mixer I can tolerate with a Gin Tonic. Soda water is garbage water for toilets.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Just like gin!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Biplane posted:

Just like gin!

Hey not fair not all gins are garbage. Just a lot of them. Especially the American ones.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MarcusSA posted:

Hey not fair not all gins are garbage. Just a lot of them. Especially the American ones.

gently caress you, all gins are beautiful!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

LaCroix is nice, but I prefer Bubly and Polar. Those ones whisper "orange" in the same room.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

walrusman posted:

LaCroix is nice, but I prefer Bubly and Polar. Those ones whisper "orange" in the same room.

i've never tasted it but my co-worker drinks the strawberry bubly a lot and whenever he opens one the entire room immediately smells like fake strawberry flavoring reminiscent of this kinda poo poo from when I was a kid:

it's a very odd memory that gets triggered every time he cracks one open

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

lt_kennedy posted:

Schwepp's Indian Tonic Water is the only mixer I can tolerate with a Gin Tonic. Soda water is garbage water for toilets.

I'm scared to ask what make it Indian, and what kinda Indian. Native or from India.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Tonic water is a sparkling water that, traditionally, containes dissolved quinine. quinine is an anti-malarial. Malaria was a big concern for the British colonizers of India (and other tropical areas we did an imperialism against). as is the British tradition, we "solved" that concern by binge drinking.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

who remembers fruit2o. is that still a thing

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Apparently it is, but in a much different form than what I remember. My father used to drink that poo poo all the time once he gave himself diabetes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

BloodBag posted:

Another part of American capitalism is that nobody is forcing you to drink it :shrug:

No one's forcing you to lick boots either

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

god drat that was all i used to drink from 8th through 10th grade when i had too broken a brain to drink water

weekly hangouts at my BFF's house eating dominos pizza and drinking fruit2o

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I almost got the sugars drinking Clearly Canadian. Although I stopped before they started putting those flavor balls in the drinks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Clearly Canadian was the weirdest fad in the early 90s.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

uli2000 posted:

My folks were just talking about this- they're apparently having massive problems with clearance items ringing up at several times their tagged price so uh, be on the lookout for that if you decide to go check out the sales

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

kumba posted:

i've never tasted it but my co-worker drinks the strawberry bubly a lot and whenever he opens one the entire room immediately smells like fake strawberry flavoring reminiscent of this kinda poo poo from when I was a kid:

it's a very odd memory that gets triggered every time he cracks one open

Bubly is super fakey flavored, I hate that poo poo. Polar is the best, like everyone says, Canada Dry is good, Arrowhead ok, store brand cheap and just as good as canada dry in 100% of my experiences.

I really, really like carbonated drinks and try to limit my sugar intake so I have tried about every seltzer available. I think Lacroix is fine, they are usually pretty flavorful to me. The coconut and grapefruit have the most taste of the normal flavors, but I bought a case that has like cherry-lime and pineapple-strawberry and they're really good. It takes time to adjust to drinking non-sugary but flavored drinks, since there's no sugar to kind of carry the flavor and remind you that you're tasting fruit. Seltzer can also taste kind of bitter at first for that reason, too.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I loved that poo poo. The lemon one was really good if you stuck it in the freezer until it got icy.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

uli2000 posted:

Shopko loving sucks and I can see why they're going under. I worked there for 6 1/2 years and my former store was on the 2nd list of closings. That particular store has been there since the 70s. They engaged in scummy pricing (marked up just to mark it down), offered a 'loyalty card' that did Jack poo poo except give you a coupon couple of times a year, and paid for poo poo.

The only bad thing is now my town is left with only a Walmart.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Clearly Canadian was the weirdest fad in the early 90s.

I miss Clearly Canadian and still laugh because Wal-Mart's brand for flavored water is "Clear American" still to this day.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zebulon posted:

I miss Clearly Canadian and still laugh because Wal-Mart's brand for flavored water is "Clear American" still to this day.

Clearly Canadian is back though! In limited quantities... https://clearlycanadian.com/en-us/

I grabbed several bottles recently from Jungle Jim's (an international foods store in Hamilton,OH).

It still tastes as good as I remember.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
No Western Loganberry, not interested.

I don't even know what a loganberry is, but that flavor was my jam.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Krispy Wafer posted:

No Western Loganberry, not interested.

I don't even know what a loganberry is, but that flavor was my jam.
Its a hybrid of blackberries and raspberries. Delicious!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

stevewm posted:

Clearly Canadian is back though! In limited quantities... https://clearlycanadian.com/en-us/

I grabbed several bottles recently from Jungle Jim's (an international foods store in Hamilton,OH).

It still tastes as good as I remember.

Jungle Jim's is amazing and I plan my trips to Cincinnati around visiting.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Did Sobe water just become vitaminwater? I miss my mango melon.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

there were sobe synergy drinks that were only available in schools and I miss them :arghfist::saddowns:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

I badgered my parents for New York Seltzer so much when I was a kid. It had such satisfying packaging -- I think the labels were polystyrene, and were so satisfying to peel off.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Groda posted:

I badgered my parents for New York Seltzer so much when I was a kid. It had such satisfying packaging -- I think the labels were polystyrene, and were so satisfying to peel off.

I remember scrounging up 50 cents and walking down to the 7-11 for a ice cold New York Seltzer back in the day. Loved that vanilla cream. If you have a Cost Plus World Market anywhere near you they carry these. They also carry Clearly Canadian as well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Groda posted:

This stuff came back to my local Vons last year. Dunno if it's still there but it was nice while it lasted.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Groda posted:

I can only just remember when every soda came in 16oz. bottles with polystyrene wrappers. Also when 2 liters came with a black plastic base glued to the bottom. Maybe 1988 or so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Groda posted:

Oh yes! These are good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
What's the difference between seltzer water and bubbly water and club soda?