Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Replaying Call of Pripyat as training to play Call of Chernobyl shortly, i've done a simple test and it seems that wearing the Clear Sky suit actually drains stamina more quickly than not wearing it, with it in the inventory. Did I trigger a bug by buying the stamina upgrades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/news/what-happened-to-call-of-chernobyl-15

tl;dr nobodys working on it anymore

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hello, I am a newbie to this series playing Shadow of Chernobyl for the first time. I have the ZRP mod installed, and so far the game runs smoothly.

I am having some culture shock issues - for example, I die 90% of the time when I engage with an enemy. My pistol seems to do nothing except against dogs, and if I don't aim instantly I'll be dead first. Stuff like that. So I'm trying to work around it by not doing combat and stuff, but...

- I could not get through the railway tunnel without dying, so I went to the military checkpoint instead and shotgunned a soldier to the face so he died, then repeated with the next guy and ran away since I was on the other side. Is... this a valid way to do this quest? I feel weird, like I'm breaking something.

- There are random red dot enemies near the Fox dude you help out by killing a pack of weird dogs. Am I supposed to engage?

For more context I'm still playing Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands so my brain is still in full "an enemy will get a glowing marker above their head when you see them, and you can kill anyone no problem" mode. I'm trying to adjust, haha.

e: Also, how scarce is stuff in this game? If I burn a medkit now, am I screwed later?

I had a friend try out Stalker and he had the same experience as you. He rage quit without even completing the first mission where you save Nimble from the bandits. I think he was so used to games like CoD and expected bullets to go exactly where he was aiming. Because he wasn't getting headshots every time, he quit. Said the game was stupid/dumb/unrealistic and that was it. I'm glad you're sticking with it though!

It's definitely a culture shock for sure. I really appreciated that the starting weapons were utter trash and getting one to fire was a real blessing, and hitting the target was truly a miracle. Even better was that the bandits had the same junk equipment and suffered the same misfires as I did. One of my first gunfights was with a bandit 30 feet away and neither of us hitting each other.

My experience with the checkpoint military has been that you could pass through after paying a bribe once. They always seemed to be hostile whenever I tried to pass through a second time, but that might just be the wonder of the AI programming. Most quests have a definite solution, but nothing is game breaking if a named character dies. I think there's only one or two instances of something affecting the outcome, but the game is fairly explicit in this, you just need to be paying attention. It also means you get a bit of freedom with how you choose to role play.

Resources are scarce initially, because everything is too expensive and you never have enough money. Soon you'll be swimming in everything you need, usually by way of looting bodies. The economy in the game is always broken and mods always seem to really screw the merchant system to give it realism/enhanced difficulty. That's one of the weaker elements of the game, but it's in no way game breaking. It really makes looting your first dirty, broken AK-74 a special occasion, then realising you need to scrape up the money to repair it and keep it fed.

Expect to die a lot and expect the game to be unfair. Also expect frequent crashes. Save often

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Odd posted:

Replaying Call of Pripyat as training to play Call of Chernobyl shortly, i've done a simple test and it seems that wearing the Clear Sky suit actually drains stamina more quickly than not wearing it, with it in the inventory. Did I trigger a bug by buying the stamina upgrades?

Nevermind, started poking around files and hacking the planet and everything is working according to intentions, however i did add a tiny tweak, once you buy the weight reduction upgrade stamina loss now acts like an unupgraded sunrise suit.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I've been really enjoying the anomaly 1.5 beta. For some reason, I didn't like anomaly the first time I tried it around a year ago, but now it's clicking.

I think it's due to the new, customizable difficulty setting.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

turn off the TV posted:

Enemy HP/damage resistance/weapon damage doesn't change in any of the games. The player takes reduced damage on on novice in comparison to master. In SoC specifically the player's weapons also do more damage on novice than they do on master. Lower difficulties are just straight up easier. The problem is that Stalker punishes you for run and gun gameplay in an absurdly opaque way.

After you hit an enemy there is a one second window called "time to aim" where they will have upwards of a 100% damage reduction. Once that one second window is over a subsequent headshot will deal between 5-10x damage. The absolute best thing you can do is get an initial hit on an enemy, wait one second, and go for a headshot.

It's also extremely worth keeping in mind that bullets disappear after a certain distance, and in SoC it's absurdly low for the starting weapons. The starting pistol's bullets despawn after 50 meters, the sawn off shotgun's bullets vanish after 37. This is exacerbated by the fact that enemies are more accurate up close than they are further away.

Can't remember what youtuber it was, but he played this game run and gun, kept getting mauled for simply busting into gunfights thinking he was gonna tank his way through. Kept going klepto on bodies but hardly ever picked up the artifacts. When he'd get too heavy to move he'd drop what artifacts he did have to keep his billion pistol rounds for guns he didn't have. His "stocking up for my next run" was buying only sausages and bandaids from Barkeep and bitched a lot about end game stuff being too expensive because he couldn't buy any of it.
In the end when asked if the game was worth paying for he pretty much said no, the game is garbage. I have never wanted to scream at someone so bad in my life watching him play that game

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SocketWrench posted:

Can't remember what youtuber it was, but he played this game run and gun, kept getting mauled for simply busting into gunfights thinking he was gonna tank his way through. Kept going klepto on bodies but hardly ever picked up the artifacts. When he'd get too heavy to move he'd drop what artifacts he did have to keep his billion pistol rounds for guns he didn't have. His "stocking up for my next run" was buying only sausages and bandaids from Barkeep and bitched a lot about end game stuff being too expensive because he couldn't buy any of it.
In the end when asked if the game was worth paying for he pretty much said no, the game is garbage. I have never wanted to scream at someone so bad in my life watching him play that game
Gopher?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

And here I sit, having to revise my opinion of "there is no wrong way to play a game."

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://twitter.com/stalker_thegame/status/1111306040904241155

Not dead yet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The website has some new art and a song, too.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Oh man. I feel like it’s a billion to one shot for them to capture the magic again.

Still: :toot:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It only needs to be as moddable and flexible as previous STALKER games and it'll all be fine

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There are some things mods can't fix. Being moddable is a good start though.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
A 64 bit engine will do wonders.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I pray to god that they ignore most of today's open-world design conceits.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Found'em. Splattercat

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Coughing Hobo posted:

It only needs to be as moddable and flexible as previous STALKER games and it'll all be fine

Watch it be streaming exclusive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gopher can be rather dense bit I don't mind the man and he made some good new Vegas mods.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Mordja posted:

I pray to god that they ignore most of today's open-world design conceits.

for 1000 stalker coins, open loot crates with random artifacts inside!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Kokoro Wish posted:

Watch it be streaming exclusive.

You can just go ahead and loving die

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Call of Pripyat was really fun and a much better game than Shadow of Chernobyl, but I felt like it was much shorter and didn't feel like it had as much impact as the first game. The last mission was really abrupt compared to SoC's insane hell dungeon at the end; you just ran through some fields, it felt like. Did I mess something up or get a bad ending or something?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Call of Pripyat was really fun and a much better game than Shadow of Chernobyl, but I felt like it was much shorter and didn't feel like it had as much impact as the first game. The last mission was really abrupt compared to SoC's insane hell dungeon at the end; you just ran through some fields, it felt like. Did I mess something up or get a bad ending or something?

Pripyat itself is kinda empty compared to the other areas. That being said, there are a few things that can change in the final quests; could you give some details as to what happened?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

drkeiscool posted:

Pripyat itself is kinda empty compared to the other areas. That being said, there are a few things that can change in the final quests; could you give some details as to what happened?

It's been many many years since I played it, but I just remember everyone being "alright it's time to go", you run through some fields and buildings and shoot some men, and that's it really. I guess I was expecting something more like SoC's secret ending?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the ending climax isn't super long but there is actually a lot of optional stuff in pripyat to explore that you don't have to for any quests. it's kind of odd but I've found a whole lot of things that I never found on my first 1-2 playthroughs. there's a building by the water full of monolith to clear out, a number of anomalies including a weird one that you have to climb up and an underground anomaly that isn't marked on the map, you can rescue zulu from mutants and he comes back to base, etc. I think they should have had more quests toward the end of the game to encourage you to go near some of this stuff. You barely go to the northern side of pripyat if you just do the quests.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The story missions in Pripyat kick rear end though. I love the one where you run the operation against a Monolith platoon and they start chanting propaganda at you while a Monolith sniper starts taking potshots with a Gauss Gun.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I got a sudden itch to play STALKER again and blew through vanilla Call of Pripyat in a couple of days. It's still my favourite game of all time. The itch isn't quite scratched and now I'm going to go down the modding rabbit hole. Looks like the OP is pretty out of date, so what's the latest skinny on a new gameplay experience in CoP? I don't think Misery is for me, but between Swartz Mod, Sigerous Mod, Call of Chernobyl, Anomaly, CoP Complete, CoP Special Edition, Reclamation Project and Massive Simulation Overhaul, I'm not really sure where to start.

I definitely want more guns, more quests, the awesome Atmosfear weather effects and more content in general. I quite like the core gameplay loop of going out, getting artifacts and returning to base. What's good in the STALKER modding scene atm?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I've played CoC, Dead Air and Anomaly in the last year, and they all have some good points. Anomaly is probably the healthy midpoint between Dead Air's stupid Misery-esque busy work mechanics and punishing no-fun features (like undetectable radiation poisoning that never decays) and CoC's fairly vanilla gameplay. But I've been getting some pretty input bad lag and frame drops on Anomaly and I'm not sure if they're a problem with the latest beta or my old rear end pc is just hitting its limit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm currently playing Lost Alpha, but I did a brief install and try of Dead Air and Anomaly and the latter's definitely the one for me. Especially considering the latest beta adds a story campaign and I do need some structure to my STALKER.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
lost alpha is like soc vanilla, but with 10x as many documents to find and story quests to do

recommended if only because it's all new maps, and they're huge

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of LA, is there a player stash anywhere or is it just not in the mod?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

And Lost Alpha has a car. Driving sucks because there are anomalies in the road way too often, but having a trunk where you can store 200-400kg worth of stuff is rad as gently caress. It's like you're going on safari in the zone.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm getting a Fallout 2 vibe from that. Which I guess isn't surprising, given that the Gauss rifle is based on the FO2 design.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
I dare say HBO's Chernobyl, coming May 6th, is going to prompt me to start playing the STALKER games again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9APLXM9Ei8

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
So I'm playing SGM 1.7 in Call of Pripyat and I like a lot of the changes so far - except for the economy. Why the hell is everything so expensive? Why the hell does none of my stuff have any value? I can sell a fully repaired AK for 400 rubles, but it costs me 11000 to buy one! Artifacts are worth a couple hundred rubles, and medkits are worth about the same! Am I missing something? Is there any way to edit this?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Speaking of LA, is there a player stash anywhere or is it just not in the mod?

a while ago i completely lost patience with the inventory in stalker, so now i always edit the game files to give myself unlimited space

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ended up uninstalling Lost Alpha today. Turns out it's actually bad??

Guess I'll wait for Anomaly 1.5 instead.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 3, 2019

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The beta for 1.5 is already out but I'm getting some really bad performance issues in certain areas for some reason.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Lost Alpha probably had potential but I did not like it on release and haven't tried it since.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
lost alpha is like.. stalker, but double spaced, 13pt font, and 2 in margins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I am giving Anomaly a try, and it's looking pretty good thus far! I chose a geiger counter at the beginning, but don't know how to use it, nor how to find out exactly what percentage of wear my items have, but I am sure I will be able to find a way to find out. I hope. Especially about the wear thing, that annoys me if I can't see the percentage or be told it by a repairer.

Ok, found out how to do both. Forgot that the 'O' button is used for bringing up devices. And to find out what condition your items are in, go to your PDA, go to the Notes tab, and it should be the first thing listed there as equipment conditions or something similar.

If you're having trouble figuring out how to craft, repair or recondition items, check out the videos on this channel. They're really helpful.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 12, 2019