Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

tldr: I was expecting "Summer of '84" to be a King-esque tale of kids spending a summer growing up and finding love and friendship while hunting a monster. Instead it was a really sad story of the summer where a bunch of kids had their lives ruined forever.

and weirdly, King is the one with the career in horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

alf_pogs posted:

and weirdly, King is the one with the career in horror

Well King obviously is horror and he has lots of bad stuff happen to his characters and bad stuff they're dealing with. But like I feel like his "coming of age" tales or the stuff like Stranger Things that take off it a bit all have a sort of whimsy of growing up and your friendships and crushes thing.

Summer of '84 kind of sets up the pieces like that but keeps this aloof tone never wanting to actually commit to the positive side of stuff or something. And then it gets mean.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

STAC Goat posted:

Summer of ’84 is very tonally odd in a way I can’t quite put my finger on. I go in expecting that its picking up on the fad of 80s horror nostalgia and it certainly delivers on the aesthetics like wardrobe and that synth soundtrack. But there’s something kind of empty about it. It feels forced or something. And it lacks the kind of whimsy or fun or something that was in a lot of that stuff. Whereas I was kind of expecting a story of a kid and his friends having some adventures and flirting with the pretty girl as they investigate their conspiracy it was kind of this somber, very straight low key tale of a bunch of kids who kind of go along with their paranoid buddy’s stuff because they want to avoid the lovely stuff happening at home. And then the ending feels… mean. I’m a horror fan, I can do mean. But something about it just caught me off guard and made me feel really bad about it. Its like for 90 minutes I’m kind of just half bored but kind of feeling bad for these kids going through poo poo that is only slightly being touched on while we focus on a bored kid’s overactive imagination. And then the next… mean. I don’t know what I really think of this but it definitely wasn’t what I went in expecting/hoping for.

tldr: I was expecting "Summer of '84" to be a King-esque tale of kids spending a summer growing up and finding love and friendship while hunting a monster. Instead it was a really sad story of the summer where a bunch of kids had their lives ruined forever.

I think "Summer of '84" being a huge bummer is kind of the point. To me it felt very much like it was meant as a deconstruction of the whole "Traumatic experience causes a person to grow in a positive way" trope you see in sometimes in horror movie and in movies in general. In "Summer of '84" something truly horrible happens to a bunch of kids, and they don't become better people or more stable adults because of it they just survive it and now they forever have to live with the damage it did to them. The bad thing that happens doesn't bring about any good in any way.

And while yeah that's a way more accurate depiction of a traumatic experience and the effect it has on a person's life, it also makes for a major downer of a movie and I can totally understand why people might not like it because of that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched Summer of ‘84 yesterday too and I get what you’re saying. The bad guy never felt that sinister to me, even at the end. I don’t know if it’s that actor or what. I honestly thought it should have gone meaner at the end to make it more shocking. I was thinking they were going to fake us out and make the dad the killer since he’s the only other character it could have been but that might have been too mean.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you guys are a little too impatient to wait for October....

:spooky: Check out my Mid-Scream Stream thread! :spooky:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think "Summer of '84" being a huge bummer is kind of the point. To me it felt very much like it was meant as a deconstruction of the whole "Traumatic experience causes a person to grow in a positive way" trope you see in sometimes in horror movie and in movies in general. In "Summer of '84" something truly horrible happens to a bunch of kids, and they don't become better people or more stable adults because of it they just survive it and now they forever have to live with the damage it did to them. The bad thing that happens doesn't bring about any good in any way.

And while yeah that's a way more accurate depiction of a traumatic experience and the effect it has on a person's life, it also makes for a major downer of a movie and I can totally understand why people might not like it because of that.

I mean, for sure, it was obviously intending to be a downer. And its not like I NEED happy endings or anything. There was just something about the way it went about it that really put me off. Like I said, I can't really put my finger on it. Its a dark ending but most of the film is dark. It wasn't the lighter movie I was kind of hoping it would be. It was never light because even when things felt kind of harmless there's little subplots of how all the kids are going through lovely stuff at home. But there's something about how it all played out.

I don't know. I just keep saying "mean" because that's all I keep coming back. It was too mean for me. And I guess maybe it almost caught me by surprise at the end when the kid gets his throat slashed which is what made the mean feel meaner?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, for sure, it was obviously intending to be a downer. And its not like I NEED happy endings or anything. There was just something about the way it went about it that really put me off. Like I said, I can't really put my finger on it. Its a dark ending but most of the film is dark. It wasn't the lighter movie I was kind of hoping it would be. It was never light because even when things felt kind of harmless there's little subplots of how all the kids are going through lovely stuff at home. But there's something about how it all played out.
I think a weird movie to compare it to would be Night of the Living Dead. Night of the Living Dead has a bummer ending that really pulls the rug from under you. But the bummer ending is very in-line with what the film's been saying up to that point. The devastation of the film's ending is ultimately humanistic and feels like just the inevitable way things were always going to end, not Romero contriving some shocking twist.

I feel like Summer of '84 just really wanted to sort of answer the question of what would it be like to just watch the Wet Bandits go through with murdering Kevin McAlister or see the Goonies unceremoniously die. It's about taking the tropes of the clever child who overcomes evil forces and has it all go wrong. And it did so without any love or consideration for its characters or story. Even Cult of Chucky which really wants to answer the question of what would a Child's Play movie where you followed through with Chucky actually winning be like works because there is such reverence for the characters that makes the ending feel right.

The more I think about Summer of '84 felt, the more I feel like it was shooting the moon. It was a decent coming of age horror thriller with one really good character and some good horror moments (The phone number realization). But it ultimately sort of sells out what worked about the movie to go through for this really intense ending.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Summer of 84 clicked with me because of the nature of how and why it was mean. There are plenty of times a movie sinks for me because the tone doesn't jive with my experience, especially when the movie wants to play mean. But with this one when that scene you spoilered happened I was sad but mostly like, "yeah, that's how it be sometimes." I don't know how well I can explain it beyond that.

It's cool that not every movie floats my boat and it's cool that not every movie floats yours.

Also I promised writeups on those Netflix movies. Planning on delivering before the kickin rad Scream Stream starts tomorrow.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not like saying its wrong for anyone else to enjoy it or anything. I'm just kind of trying to work my way through how I feel about it. Like, I actually feel like my posts sound very dumb and embarrassing because the movie really left me feeling off in a way I'm struggling to really wrap my head around or properly convey. But I think the fact that its garnered this reaction from me and has me still thinking about it a day later probably speaks to there being something there that I'm not surprised works for some people. I just probably wasn't one of them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm not like saying its wrong for anyone else to enjoy it or anything. I'm just kind of trying to work my way through how I feel about it. Like, I actually feel like my posts sound very dumb and embarrassing because the movie really left me feeling off in a way I'm struggling to really wrap my head around or properly convey. But I think the fact that its garnered this reaction from me and has me still thinking about it a day later probably speaks to there being something there that I'm not surprised works for some people. I just probably wasn't one of them.

Nah man, your posts don't sound dumb or embarrassing, and I actually understand exactly where you're coming from. Sometimes a movie just doesn't connect with you in a way that's hard to explain. There are lots of films and tv shows that on paper sound good and I understand why other people might like them, but I watch them and something about them just doesn't work for me for reasons that are either personal or subjective or both.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I haven't seen anybody talk about The Field Guide to Evil which seemed to have a super limited theatrical release this weekend. It's a multinational anthology film about folklore with a short from 8 different countries. The directors of Goodnight Mommy, The Lure, and Baskin each did a segment.

Like most anthologies it's hit and miss but overall it's a fun watch. It should be available for streaming/digital purchase now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvbR3q1dDAs

Hilariously, the trailer doesn't show any footage from the American segment. because it's awful

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Who's the director for the American segment?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh man, it’s probably the melon heads one but I want to see that one the most. Melon heads story is weird as gently caress

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

CelticPredator posted:

Oh man, it’s probably the melon heads one but I want to see that one the most. Melon heads story is weird as gently caress

Wasn't there a movie made about the Melonheads?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This uh, seems to be the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w76jD0tjHYQ

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The Good Neighbor seems like it's going to be a Rear Window-esque affair but it's actually deeply sad. I recommend it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

With how bad that trailer looks, I'm not sure I want to see how bad the movie is. Though now I'm wondering what good cryptid/local legend films are out there in everyone's opinion.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

So I watched Errementari and Await Further Instructions. Truthfully I didn't enjoy either. I'm glad I watched them, though, because I feel like they're both interesting enough to write about (and I said I would, so here I am!) even if I'm not going to be overly kind to either. All in all a good weekend.

Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil

I haven't felt this firmly balanced about a movie for some time. The basic fairy tale idea of the story is nice, the visuals are interesting, and there are a few stand out moments that got a real reaction from me. Taken as a whole, however, I don't find the movie compelling in the slightest but simultaneously I don't feel like I wasted my time. The dub wasn't great but I grew up listening to dubs of 80s and early 90s anime so the weak audio didn't really impact me. It's not bad. It's not good. It's not thrilling. It's not boring. If someone burst into the thread either singing its praises or wishing death on the director I probably wouldn't respond at all. It's the most 5/10 movie I've seen since Hellboy 2.

The movie both focused on the proper characters for compelling drama (The tormented blacksmith and the Devil) but also completely failed to capitalize on what I felt were more interesting ideas (the reactions of the townsfolk having their fears and or hopes validated). The kid's also there, and is plot important, but doesn't actually have anything real to do. A number of threads and explanations are brief or truncated but the movement of the story as a fable prevented me from being annoyed by this even if I didn't think what was actually given fully landed.

I'll say this: if you're into movies that aspire to visuals that would make the most boss 70s van art and/or you want to witness the proven comedic value of the humble bear trap then this is probably a movie for you.

Await Further Instructions

Making crappy horror to own the Tories!

I don't get to watch movies this bad very often. It's kind of a treat, honestly. I have a high tolerance for Stupid in film and a challenge like this lets me get a bit of an endurance workout. I mean, sure, I could have just turned it off and done something more productive with my time but where's the fun in that? Especially when I promised strangers on the internet that I would type up a review of the thing. I had a goal. And that goal was being challenged by this silly little film. So, really, if you think about it, it's quite an accomp--

This feels like a movie written by someone who wanted to push a message but didn't have the skill to write a script that would entertainingly convey that message even to the most dedicated member of the chorus. Staunch and unthinking members of English conservatism blunder their way through a series of ludicrously stupid trials while the only two Correct Thinkers in the room are constantly bullied and outvoted, even when it's 3-3, because the director failed at math. And also maths.

There's a better version of this out there, right? Where a slight majority in panicked circumstances slowly grind their way through social norms and values as the whole situation glides down a slippery slope? Where honest ignorance slowly makes way for honest malevolence? Because it's not here no matter how much the director wants it to be.

Even with the script as bad as it is the movie would have been much more interesting if the simple nature of the character dynamics were improved. As someone who grew up in dysfunctional religious and dysfunctionally religious circumstances the whole family felt intensely bland. They can barely aspire to be strawmen let alone actually attain such heights. The only moment that felt real was when the grandpa ignored the dinner prayer to set up his napkin. Pretty much everything else is artificial even considering the aim to be broadly representative and, even worse, it's boring.

It's a shame because the core idea is perfectly fine. The only circumstance I could recommend it under is if you were a filmmaker who wants crib ideas about a film where social conservatives explode because they're stupid. If you're in that narrow category then go ahead and watch this and make something better. You doubtless can.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil

Is that title supposed to be read like a racist japanese Sherlock Holmes

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is that title supposed to be read like a racist japanese Sherlock Holmes

Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one that honestly wondered it

Answer: Errementari is Basque for blacksmith

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
So, this looks awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5ZOcU6Bnw

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
its an ironic zombie film

me: "meh"

it has tilda swinton using her natural accent as a mortician samurai

me: *buys ten tickets*

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

That might be worth going to the show to see. Still not sure if Iggy Pop's wearing makeup though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don’t think it looks very good but I didn’t think Only Lovers Left Alive looked very good either and I was wrong about that one

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If that had different people behind it I'd never ever watch it based on the trailer. But it has enough pedigree that yeah, i'll probably give it a watch when it shows up on streaming.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Really enjoyed the void, went in completely blind.

When I saw the tendrils clawing their way out of the dead women’s mouth I knew I was in for some fun practical effects. Really cool stuff. Now I need to watch the Thing for the nth time.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

For he’s a ghouley good fellow

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

STAC Goat posted:

If that had different people behind it I'd never ever watch it based on the trailer. But it has enough pedigree that yeah, i'll probably give it a watch when it shows up on streaming.

Yeah, I was like "Ehhhh no thanks" until I saw Jim Jarmusch's name pop up at the end. Still though, if Jarmusch can assemble a loving cast like that why the hell did it have to be zombies?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't miss the Mid-Scream Stream's opening night, you dinguses. We're live in about10 minutes!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I was like "Ehhhh no thanks" until I saw Jim Jarmusch's name pop up at the end. Still though, if Jarmusch can assemble a loving cast like that why the hell did it have to be zombies?
Jarmusch did a movie where Forest Whitaker played a gangster hitman that lives by the Samurai's code and got RZA to do the score. So yes, I would like two tickets please.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I’d heard that the original Wicker Man is good, but I wasn’t prepared for just how delightful it is. Perfect movie to watch as spring starts to bloom.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Easy Diff posted:

Jarmusch did a movie where Forest Whitaker played a gangster hitman that lives by the Samurai's code and got RZA to do the score. So yes, I would like two tickets please.

Sounds interesting. What's the name of this movie?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai.

Its hype.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Looks like it could be fun, but that day for night looks terrible. lol

Ghost Dog.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Idk why this trailer isn't on YouTube yet, but I saw the trailer for The Lodge before The Beach Bum a few days ago and it looks loving intense. It's from the directors of Goodnight Mommy, apparently it premiered at Sundance and scared the poo poo out of everyone there, and one of the pull quotes was something like "The next Hereditary", which of course got me stoked as gently caress.

Again, not sure why the trailer's not widely available if it was being shown theatrically. Maybe it was shown too soon? But you should for sure watch that whenever it comes out.

It doesn't seem to have a US release date yet, though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7347846

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I don't really like "quirky" movies (especially horror) but if you direct Down By Law you guarantee I will watch EVERY one of your movies

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

There are two!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Easy Diff posted:

Dead Man is one of my absolute favorite films of all time, and I'll always give Jarmusch a shot because of it.