Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Defenistrator posted:

What's the difference between seltzer water and bubbly water and club soda?

Seltzer or bubble water or whatever is just water with carbonation. Club soda is water and carbonation and some kind of other stuff. Minerals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

stevewm posted:

Clearly Canadian is back though! In limited quantities... https://clearlycanadian.com/en-us/

I grabbed several bottles recently from Jungle Jim's (an international foods store in Hamilton,OH).

It still tastes as good as I remember.

There used to be a pizza indoor amusement park in Phoenix called Jungle Jim's back when I was a kid. Such a fun time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did Sobe water just become vitaminwater? I miss my mango melon.

Pepsi bought them in 2000 and did the typical "let's just slowly ratchet down the production costs to maximize our profits" garbage that enormous companies have a tendency to do. It became way less popular pretty much overnight as the really weird stuff they made vanished, the best varieties became noticeably worse, and then the lovely plastic bottles happened. So yeah they probably just drifted whatever you remember into a cheap, generic product geared toward the biggest appeal possible.

There were a few occasions I'd buy some SoBe beverage over the years only to find that it was just bland, sugary crap instead of the stuff I remembered drinking 5,000 years ago when the 90's happened.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Milky pink sobe in the glass bottles was the best :allears:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Queen Combat posted:

Milky pink sobe in the glass bottles was the best :allears:

Strawberry banana, that was.

...I miss it. :(

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

rndmnmbr posted:

Also when 2 liters came with a black plastic base glued to the bottom. Maybe 1988 or so.

Oh, yeah. I haven’t thought about that in a long time.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Seltzer or bubble water or whatever is just water with carbonation. Club soda is water and carbonation and some kind of other stuff. Minerals.

Minerals, but mostly baking soda. I said it earlier and I'll say it again: Club soda on it's own is loving vile. Go mix a scoop of baking soda into a glass of water and report back.

If you really want a "soft" minerally sparkling water to mix alcoholic drinks with, try San Pellegrino. It's readily available at quite reasonable prices these day. (*cough*Costco*cough) If you want maximum bubbly use Topo Chico.

Smaller brands, like Schweppes or DrPepperSnappleGroup.com, are bottled by regional bottlers. So in one market Pepsi might bottle it and in another Coke does. They pay large sums of money for the right to bottle a product like that, then they pay even more to manufacture each and every batch. (side note: that's why you'll sometimes see Dr. Pepper at a "Coke" restaurant and sometimes see Mr. Pibb instead. The Burger King a mile away from my Pepsi Plant, which held the regional contract for Dr. Pepper, served Dr. Pepper despite being a "Coke" restaurant. They had that poo poo shipped in from outside our area.)

I worked at Pepsi on the bottle filling machine and we had the Schweppes contract for the area so I got to taste the half-filled rejects. There are always rejects, for every product. I literally stained my hands Yellow #5 knifing holes in several hundreds of gallons of half-filled Mt Dew bottles to drain them my first week on the job.

If it were up to me all of the Schweppes Club Soda would be rejects.

That poo poo did not want to be bottled. At all!

I could run the bottling machine on an "easy" drink like Mt. Dew at 900 bottles a minute, no problem, all night long, but maybe the forklift drivers a few hundred feet away at the end of the line couldn't keep up. Schweppes Club Soda? 150-200 bottles a minute, on a good day. That's how fast we could usually fill a 2 liter of soda, so it was a real kick in the nuts when you were filling 20oz bottles that slow. Easy-peasy for the forklift drivers, a nightmare at my end of the line. It was a balancing act. If you don't run the machine fast enough the product warms up a few degrees inside the bottling machine's holding tank: if the product warms up the CO2 starts foaming out before you can put a cap on it so the bottles end up half empty (see above for "tasting all the rejects). The closer to freezing a soda/carbonated water is the more CO2 it can hold.

Run it too fast and it shakes the bottles too much and the CO2 starts foaming out before you can put a cap on it so the bottles end up half empty (see above for "tasting all the rejects). I loving hated that stuff: both because it was hell to bottle and tasted awful so I couldn't just drink the rejects on the line. Seeing a bunch of Schweppes products on the schedule guaranteed I'd be working at least a 16 hour shift that night.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sobe was in Panda Express long after it was gone everywhere else but they are all switching or have already switched to Coke so RIP.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

stevewm posted:

Clearly Canadian is back though! In limited quantities... https://clearlycanadian.com/en-us/

Yup!

But

3 loving dollars.

I wanted to pick one up for nostalgia's sake... but.. 3 loving dollars.
For less than the price of 3 of them I can buy a 48 pack of sparkling water at Costco.
Or an 8-pack of Gatorade.

quote:

It still tastes as good as I remember.

Somebody called it "the weirdest fad" and, while I agree it was really weirdly popular, it's basically a "lightly" sugared fruit soda. 25g of sugar in an 11oz bottle. Enough sugar to hook a bunch of 5th graders on a fad drink.

Mt. Dew is 46g per 12oz.

I wish more brands could get away with dropping the sugar down to 30, 35, grams. IIRC in the early days Jones Soda was at that ~30/12oz sweetness but they had to jack it up to "standard" sweetness to compete.

One time I got to taste Mt. Dew concentrate in the lab and the guy acted like it was a real honor and treat. He did it when the concentrate had an especially high brix that barely was barely in spec, to make it extra special. While it was very nice of him, that was literally the opposite of what I wanted. All I could think was "I wish there was less sugar and/or more flavor," an opinion I hold even once it's diluted. (I probably should have said "bring me a low-brix sample to compare next time you have one!")

Anyway: thread relevant content:

I don't know if Clearly Canadian ever actually went away. They were totally unprepared for a bunch of 5th graders to start drinking it as a fad and probably got way in over their heads, they floundered trying to create followups. Much like a viral video trying to recreate the success they introduced Orbitz which, in hindsight, seems designed to target that pre-teen/teen market. There's probably a good story for the thread in there somewhere if anybody cares to research it. If not: it looks like they tried to make their own version of energy drinks (water) and also a Clearly Canadian energy water/vitamin water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearly_Canadian

MisterOblivious has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Apr 1, 2019

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Thinkin' about Zima.

I don't actually want to drink it because it wasn't very good, but it is in my thoughts.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Volcott posted:

Thinkin' about Zima.

I don't actually want to drink it because it wasn't very good, but it is in my thoughts.

You mean the most successful drink in human history?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Volcott posted:

Thinkin' about Zima.

I got some last summer because I remember it being advertised as a kid.

Yeah it was like a worse version of Smirnoff Ice.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

They brought it back a few years ago. I've never tried it before so I really wish I had gotten a pack when I saw it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
All I really know about Zima is that I've never once met anybody in person who admitted to drinking any of it, there were commercials about it where a guy kept getting told he had a nice hat, and Married with Children made fun of it.

Al and Peg's dad were chasing a bear around the city because ??? and Al took the lead because the dad didn't understand the city at all. They came across a pile of empty Zima bottles and Al was like "oh yeah the bear has definitely been here." The dad was like "how do you know?" Al replied "because no human could possibly drink more than one Zima." I guess it was bad?

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

They're use to be a carbonated water cherry drink that I absolutely adored when I was a kid, but for the life of me I can't remember the name, nor barely even what it looked like. From the pictures posted here, I'm thinking it could have been Clearly Canadian, or something similar.

drat, now I'm gunna need to go on a hunt for my lost childhood drink.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

ToxicSlurpee posted:

All I really know about Zima is that I've never once met anybody in person who admitted to drinking any of it, there were commercials about it where a guy kept getting told he had a nice hat, and Married with Children made fun of it.

Al and Peg's dad were chasing a bear around the city because ??? and Al took the lead because the dad didn't understand the city at all. They came across a pile of empty Zima bottles and Al was like "oh yeah the bear has definitely been here." The dad was like "how do you know?" Al replied "because no human could possibly drink more than one Zima." I guess it was bad?

My only memories of Zima as a kid was the number of times I would see a sign at a wrestling show that would say something like "(Wrestler) drinks Zima" as a means of demeaning the wrestler that the fan didn't like.

Here I come to find out that Zima is just a cooler/malt like Smirnoff Ice? I guess in the 90s the association with it is that it's just a "girly drink" for people who can't handle BEER, like REAL MEN, and you're not a REAL MAN if you drink Zima.

The fragile male ego hard at work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Zima was originally sold as a beer alternative. I think when the goofy Yakov looking dude commercials didn't relate to sales, they pivoted to be a woman's drink.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
My old roommate grabbed a case of zima when I flew back to visit last summer. I had one and thought “that was nice but I’m okay with never drinking it again.”

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I lived in Chicago from 1999 through the early 2000s and they still sold Zima back then. It was ok.
They also still sold Coke II in Chicago back then.

I remember finding some Hot Pockets that were chicken pot pies and were actually really good. It must've been a test product because I never saw it outside of there.

I also remember coming across Popsicle brand, Jello pudding pops in a Giant grocery store about ten years ago. Like JELL-O sold the trademark to
Popsicle and then they started making it.

Also, for those who think soda has too much sugar, but do not like the taste of diet, fill a glass half (or more) with seltzer first and them finish it off with sofa. I don't even like undiluted soda any more.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Someone brought a 6 pack of Zima to a game night get together my friends have and I tried one. It was basically a much grosser lemon lime Smirnoff Ice and it gave me a migraine.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Groda posted:

I badgered my parents for New York Seltzer so much when I was a kid. It had such satisfying packaging -- I think the labels were polystyrene, and were so satisfying to peel off.

I was nostalgically looking at those bottles, and it made me wonder if they'd had to change the label at all. Sure 'nuff:

:(

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The first time I ever got actual drunk was off Zima, age 16. I was told later that the cheerleader crowd (who I didn't hang out with) would drop a jolly rancher in the bottle. Weird, poo poo was sweet enough already.

Xenoletum posted:

I guess in the 90s the association with it is that it's just a "girly drink" for people who can't handle BEER, like REAL MEN, and you're not a REAL MAN if you drink Zima.

This is me, not a real man. I absolutely cannot stand the taste of beer. Yes I've tried lots of them. I also hate the taste of artificial sweeteners, maybe that has something to do with it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ofecks posted:

This is me, not a real man. I absolutely cannot stand the taste of beer. Yes I've tried lots of them. I also hate the taste of artificial sweeteners, maybe that has something to do with it.

I was exactly like you, down to the artificial sweeteners, until I was 34. Then we went to Germany.

Just something to bear in mind if you find yourself in that part of the world.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Drink the things you like. Anybody that tells you your preference is wrong is a dick.

Unless you like Natty. It's mandatory to judge people who drink Natty.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Apr 1, 2019

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Drink the things you like. Anybody that tells you you preference is wrong is a dick.

Unless you like Natty. It's mandatory to judge people who drink Natty.

or steel reserve

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I live sweet drinks and cocktails, so pretty much had to force myself to drink 2 random brews at my college's Beer Garden event to actually enjoy beer... but now I find that a nice Whitbeer or something like Allagash White/Shock Top works with my palate.

Fuckin hate that motor oil that is Arrogant Bastard though. Bleuuughhh.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

kumba posted:

or steel reserve

Aww, but I want to drink a 500 calorie beer for $1 sometimes :(

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

kumba posted:

or steel reserve

You don't want to drink Steel Reserve, you want something the police can wrestle you for

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Scholtz posted:

Aww, but I want to drink a 500 calorie beer for $1 sometimes :(

Beach/boat drinking. It needs to be watery as gently caress.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Tristesse posted:

Someone brought a 6 pack of Zima to a game night get together my friends have and I tried one. It was basically a much grosser lemon lime Smirnoff Ice and it gave me a migraine.

Bought a 6 pack last summer for a family cabin trip and wow, did it taste like poo poo. I made my sister drink one (she hated it) and at the end of the trip there were still 4 left. I left them in the cabin fridge.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

ryonguy posted:

You don't want to drink Steel Reserve, you want something the police can wrestle you for

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05042004

Close enough.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sobe "Rain" is the best flavor of anything that ever happened, and no flavor has ever been as good.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shop Rite house brand seltzer was on sale last week for $4.80 for a 12 pack of liter bottles. I wish I had more space so I could have bought more than two cases. That’s my contribution to seltzer chat.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Companies Drinks that are circling the drain

p. much any american mass-produced drink, whether alcoholic or not

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Pick posted:

Sobe "Rain" is the best flavor of anything that ever happened, and no flavor has ever been as good.

Wasn't that Snapple? I remember liking Earth but Rain was pretty good too. Wish they'd bring those back.

https://walkmemorylane.wordpress.com/2016/12/04/snapple-element-drinks/

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, I never heard or saw any of those element drinks before, but i so would drink them if given the chance.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

Companies Drinks that are circling the drain

p. much any american mass-produced drink, whether alcoholic or not

I read somewhere that the whole mass produced beer industry is freaking out over Bud Light’s corn syrup campaign. Big beer brands were already hurting and while this might help Bud in the short run they’re afraid it’s just going to push more people towards craft brews.

And soda isn’t doing much better. Sales are down 20+% in the last decade or so.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've tried to train myself to like beer and it really hasn't worked, and I'm old. Closest I have gotten is I can tolerate a Blue Moon if I drink it very slowly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I read somewhere that the whole mass produced beer industry is freaking out over Bud Light’s corn syrup campaign. Big beer brands were already hurting and while this might help Bud in the short run they’re afraid it’s just going to push more people towards craft brews.

And soda isn’t doing much better. Sales are down 20+% in the last decade or so.

Dont know why theyd be so worried, they already own a shitload of craft brews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I will single handedly keep Coca Cola afloat, no worries everyone.