Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m not caught up on the smollet case. What did Chicago pd leak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I’m not caught up on the smollet case. What did Chicago pd leak?

Almost everything we know about the case comes from leaks. The PD was leaking that they were investigating Smollett for the attack by mid-February and essentially all major supposed pieces of evidence were publicized before the arrest was made.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Almost everything we know about the case comes from leaks. The PD was leaking that they were investigating Smollett for the attack by mid-February and essentially all major supposed pieces of evidence were publicized before the arrest was made.

So basically, to sort of construct a very timeline of what happened in the Smollet case....

Around the end of January/early February we learn initially of the case - liberals are SHOCKED and SADDENED and it becomes a media item about how lovely it is to be black and gay and famous in Chicago (or something like that)

Mid-February: In response to the generally unfavorably way the Smollet case is being cast in the media and the apparent incongruity to the direction of the investigation, some folk in Chicago PD decide to leak notes of the actual investigation as if it were facts that had been already substantiated, largely concerning the account of the two black "Street Toughs" with the fabulous abs in opposition to Jussie's statements about what had happened.

Media shitstorm ensues...

Mid-late March: It comes out that both accounts are highly biased and incorrect and the truth is probably something much more grey than clean-cut black and white, so people lose interest. When we were either dealing with malicious MAGA-hat wearing white guys attacking black men in the streets of Chicago's upscale neighborhoods? That was a story because it fit the idea of what media people call "the liberal wet dream", the loving insensitive pricka. And when it was about a vain and greedy fag actor who paid a couple human being friends of his (WHO WERE EVEN BLACK) to pretend to assault him so he could parlay it into media gold and a raise? That was what media people call a "conservative wet dream".

Now, I gather we are lost with a story that is entirely about what gently caress-ups both the media and people who believe they can "handle" or "manage" the media are, and the media has no interest in covering such a story as you can understand :rolleye:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anonymous John posted:

The bitch did lie to discredit an alleged rape victim who accused a friend of Dunham, so gently caress her nonetheless.

It says a lot about Lena Dunham that even when you take rape out of the picture she still did enough bullshit that you can safely tell her to gently caress off anyway.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

yeah i mean that's why the whole right wing bad faith reading of a childhood anecdote is so bizarre because I guess to them she's some beloved liberal leader that needs taking out when the reality is that she's put her foot in her mouth so many times she's pretty much alienated what is perceived to be her base.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paragon8 posted:

yeah i mean that's why the whole right wing bad faith reading of a childhood anecdote is so bizarre because I guess to them she's some beloved liberal leader that needs taking out when the reality is that she's put her foot in her mouth so many times she's pretty much alienated what is perceived to be her base.

You notice that a lot whenever a left-wing person does something bad. The right starts leaping on it and going "Ha! Now your idols have been proven false! Watch as they don't say anything about this Democrat politician being caught up in a sex scandal! They're all cucked hypocrites!"

And then they're confused when everyone does turn against them. The idea of holding your own side to the same standard as the other is completely foreign to them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

chitoryu12 posted:

It says a lot about Lena Dunham that even when you take rape out of the picture she still did enough bullshit that you can safely tell her to gently caress off anyway.

I’m not trying to brag but just want to say that my immediate and visceral reaction to Lena Dunham was to hate and distrust her before anyone told me she had a show where she Zach Braff’s herself and it’s all about being a spoiled white girl.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

chitoryu12 posted:

You notice that a lot whenever a left-wing person does something bad. The right starts leaping on it and going "Ha! Now your idols have been proven false! Watch as they don't say anything about this Democrat politician being caught up in a sex scandal! They're all cucked hypocrites!"

And then they're confused when everyone does turn against them. The idea of holding your own side to the same standard as the other is completely foreign to them.

Though, as you can see with the Franken walk backs and the current Biden defense team, the mainstream liberal establishment really does desperately want to free themselves of those principles

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

kaworu posted:

So basically, to sort of construct a very timeline of what happened in the Smollet case....

Around the end of January/early February we learn initially of the case - liberals are SHOCKED and SADDENED and it becomes a media item about how lovely it is to be black and gay and famous in Chicago (or something like that)

Mid-February: In response to the generally unfavorably way the Smollet case is being cast in the media and the apparent incongruity to the direction of the investigation, some folk in Chicago PD decide to leak notes of the actual investigation as if it were facts that had been already substantiated, largely concerning the account of the two black "Street Toughs" with the fabulous abs in opposition to Jussie's statements about what had happened.

Media shitstorm ensues...

Mid-late March: It comes out that both accounts are highly biased and incorrect and the truth is probably something much more grey than clean-cut black and white, so people lose interest. When we were either dealing with malicious MAGA-hat wearing white guys attacking black men in the streets of Chicago's upscale neighborhoods? That was a story because it fit the idea of what media people call "the liberal wet dream", the loving insensitive pricka. And when it was about a vain and greedy fag actor who paid a couple human being friends of his (WHO WERE EVEN BLACK) to pretend to assault him so he could parlay it into media gold and a raise? That was what media people call a "conservative wet dream".

Now, I gather we are lost with a story that is entirely about what gently caress-ups both the media and people who believe they can "handle" or "manage" the media are, and the media has no interest in covering such a story as you can understand :rolleye:

To me it was only clear that the case was puffed up when the DA dropped the charges. Prior to that it was clear that the PD was leaking far too much and we had lots of arguments about how the Chicago PD runs black sites and therefore this case is a sham. And while that specific logic train doesn't necessarily hold, certainly the case was a big nothing.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
David Blaine, Founding but Often Forgotten Member of The Pussy Posse, is being investigated.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Captain Hotbutt posted:

David Blaine, Founding but Often Forgotten Member of The Pussy Posse, is being investigated.

It's well established that Tobey Maguire is a prick, but I guess it would make too much sense if DiCaprio is too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

He'll probably be able to make the charges disappear.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Skwirl posted:

He'll probably be able to make the charges disappear.

watch him escape a jail cell after 18 months!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Paragon8 posted:

She made some awkward as gently caress post when MeToo started gathering steam. Like, not just making a weird point, but just really badly written, and the first comment was 'you're a professional writer, how are you so bad at this?'

It was great.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

esperterra posted:

Also I liked Girls. I didn't finish it, but the seasons I watched were good. Dunham seemed pretty self aware about the content back then (the lead character is never painted sympathetically, she's just a trashbad through and through) but seems to have lost what little self awareness she had before.
See, I thought the same thing. Loved the first two seasons and thought it was a brilliant send-up of herself, but then I watched Tiny Furniture and realized, oh no, she's really like that, and thinks it's cool and good.

She's a trash human being who was born rich and the Fox News crowd hates her because she's a woman who doesn't defer to men in all things and them saying she raped her sister is just projection, like everything else they say. These things can be true at the same time.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's well established that Tobey Maguire is a prick, but I guess it would make too much sense if DiCaprio is too.

It wouldn't be surprising if DiCaprio enabled or covered for his friends in the past.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Complex posted:

(It’s somewhat ironic that in 2005, almost a decade after DiCaprio uttered that line in Don’s Plum, model Aretha Wilson attacked him with a broken beer bottle. Wilson’s attorney claimed that Wilson was defending herself after DiCaprio took a swing at her for calling DiCaprio and the Posse “a bunch of fags.”)
Maybe Dicaprio was triggered?? Seems like he could be overcompensating for his past if he was molested by Brian Peck in the appropriately titled "Growing Pains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZP3DR0qEms

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean, how is any member of a group of people who are self titled the pussy posse and were notorious for going out to get hosed and get hosed every night NOT a gigantic scumbag with billions of skeletons in their closet

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Hey I’m Leonardo DiCaprio, I was just the lead in the biggest movie ever made, and I’m crazy rich, wanna bone?”

“SURE!”

“Hey, I’m Tobey Macguire, I was just in the most iconic super hero movie ever made, with a passionate upside down kissing scene that will inform sexually charged moments in films forever!”

“Wow lets go straight to bone town!”

“Hi I’m David Blaine. I practice close-up magic and look like the nightshift manager at a Circle K. I’m famous for burying myself alive and hanging out in giant hole for a week, without showering...”

“Uh... ummmm....”

“Look it’s either me or the dude who wrote Kids...”

“....awww gently caress”

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bust Rodd posted:

“Hey I’m Leonardo DiCaprio, I was just the lead in the biggest movie ever made, and I’m crazy rich, wanna bone?”

“SURE!”

“Hey, I’m Tobey Macguire, I was just in the most iconic super hero movie ever made, with a passionate upside down kissing scene that will inform sexually charged moments in films forever!”

“Wow lets go straight to bone town!”

“Hi I’m David Blaine. I practice close-up magic and look like the nightshift manager at a Circle K. I’m famous for burying myself alive and hanging out in giant hole for a week, without showering...”

“Uh... ummmm....”

“Look it’s either me or the dude who wrote Kids...”

“....awww gently caress”

They're no Buddy Brigade I tell you what

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There seems to be a whole thing with magicians being sex weirds at best.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whaaaat, the guys who famously saw women in half are sex weirds!? Shocked, am I!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Money corrupts.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

See, I thought the same thing. Loved the first two seasons and thought it was a brilliant send-up of herself, but then I watched Tiny Furniture and realized, oh no, she's really like that, and thinks it's cool and good.

She's a trash human being who was born rich and the Fox News crowd hates her because she's a woman who doesn't defer to men in all things and them saying she raped her sister is just projection, like everything else they say. These things can be true at the same time.

There was a pretty good profile of her that came out last year that didn't necessarily make me like her but made me understand her a bit. A lot of the hate directed to her is apocryphal or through second hand sources that it was interesting to read a primary source. Yet she's still capable of enormously stupidity and not being able to recognise her own privilege while framing herself as extremely marginalised. Which makes her uniquely frustrating because like you say she's targeted in specific ways for lovely reasons but then she also tweetstorms when odell beckman doesn't make eye contact with her or lies to defend her friend from sexual harassment allegations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm more shocked that Harmony Korine was apparently in The Pussy Posse. This is actually at least the second time I've found this out and then forgotten about it. It's still just as weird the second time around.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Calaveron posted:

:hai:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Calaveron posted:

:agreed:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Re: Dunham, for some reason people act like the issue is what she did when she was 7, but the really creepy bit is what she did as a teenager, or at least how she describes it:

Lena Dunham posted:

I shared a bed with my sister, Grace, until I was seventeen years old. She was afraid to sleep alone and would begin asking me around 5:00 P.M. every day whether she could sleep with me. I put on a big show of saying no, taking pleasure in watching her beg and sulk, but eventually I always relented. Her sticky, muscly little body thrashed beside me every night as I read Anne Sexton, watched reruns of SNL, sometimes even as I slipped my hand into my underwear to figure some stuff out.

I don't think Dunham actually sexually abused her sister, but the way she wrote about her is really gross.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Silver2195 posted:

Re: Dunham, for some reason people act like the issue is what she did when she was 7, but the really creepy bit is what she did as a teenager, or at least how she describes it:

I don't think Dunham actually sexually abused her sister, but the way she wrote about her is really gross.

What Dunham wrote was done with her sister's approval, according to her, and Grace Dunham herself has stated that it should be up to her to decide whether or not what was written about her is harmful or not.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

and literally dunham has self owned herself dozens of times in the past few years in spectacular fashion that focusing on her autobiography as some kind of gotcha is misplaced when there are far more relevant things to "cancel" her for.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Paragon8 posted:

and literally dunham has self owned herself dozens of times in the past few years in spectacular fashion that focusing on her autobiography as some kind of gotcha is misplaced when there are far more relevant things to "cancel" her for.

Exactly. Take her to task for stupid poo poo she says, writes or does, not some bad faith strawmanning by some dickheads with an obvious agenda.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s also a good example of how likability and credibility factor into it.

We have photographs of Asia Argento in bed with a child she may have been grooming for years and people are still going to bat for her more ferociously than Dunham. Dunham just sucks and is very unlikeable and it’s easier to drag her for a weird thing than it is to drag someone like MJ or Bowie for an obvious, terrible crime.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s also a good example of how likability and credibility factor into it.

We have photographs of Asia Argento in bed with a child she may have been grooming for years and people are still going to bat for her more ferociously than Dunham. Dunham just sucks and is very unlikeable and it’s easier to drag her for a weird thing than it is to drag someone like MJ or Bowie for an obvious, terrible crime.

it also speaks to how much slack society gives to rich/famous people because there is the idea that certain people would never engage in sexual assault because they don't *have* to which is wildly gross.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Calaveron posted:

I was just getting ready to post this.

The Buddy Brigade are clean as a whistle, gosh darn it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AmyKinLA/status/1113219352164048896

yikes

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I'm more shocked that Harmony Korine was apparently in The Pussy Posse. This is actually at least the second time I've found this out and then forgotten about it. It's still just as weird the second time around.

I'm now picturing Spring Breakers as a sort of atonement film, considering how depraved and unattractive the wild partying in it is. I can't say any sane person would want to party in Florida after watching that.

I know he was less involved in the creative aspect but I'm also unconsciously contrasting that with DiCaprio's Wolf of Wallstreet, which had a similar message of "this is not actually what you should want to become" but missed its mark a bit (I still hear of people unironically throwing "Wolf of Wallstreet" parties, whatever that supposedly entails). DiCaprio just seemed like he was too in his element and having too much fun for it to be a proper condemnation of that sort of lifestyle.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

God Hole posted:

I'm now picturing Spring Breakers as a sort of atonement film, considering how depraved and unattractive the wild partying in it is. I can't say any sane person would want to party in Florida after watching that.

I know he was less involved in the creative aspect but I'm also unconsciously contrasting that with DiCaprio's Wolf of Wallstreet, which had a similar message of "this is not actually what you should want to become" but missed its mark a bit (I still hear of people unironically throwing "Wolf of Wallstreet" parties, whatever that supposedly entails). DiCaprio just seemed like he was too in his element and having too much fun for it to be a proper condemnation of that sort of lifestyle.

Audiences are idiots, though. there's always going to be some fuckwit who somehow sees a completely different movie. See the entire Scarface fandom, for instance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

People like parties. See also The Great Gatsby.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

i mean there was literally a chart that went viral on twitter a few weeks ago showing that Di Caprio hasn't had a girlfriend over 25 since he was 24. He's def has a type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He's a literal movie star who's a byword for boyish good looks, it's not like he has to... well, try.

But then that's basically Hollywood even on a good day.