Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The bless change is kind of massive. RIP quickness memebless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
also the rus bear make spell got cheaper. also fire storm down to 3 gems from 5 i think.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Somewhere out there, someone with a berserker bless who has been very careful to keep his priests far away from his sacred mages, is suddenly screwed as his mages now start beserking from minor damage even without being blessed.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have you seen the new mechanical militia? It gives a decent number of defenders and 6-7 'iron fly' with 25pd

High prot fliers with 5an shock damage attack!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

yeah they are cool.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Those'll gently caress up some scripting for sure.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Those spells definitely needed some love, that's great!

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
The map generator is now usable: https://nuke-makes-games.itch.io/automated-improved-dominions-starts

twoski fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 7, 2019

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
is it possible to turn off wraparound in either of the 3rd party map generators? if it is i sure can't find it

twoski
Sep 11, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

is it possible to turn off wraparound in either of the 3rd party map generators? if it is i sure can't find it

negatory, it wasn't something high on my priority list.

you might be able to open it up in the ingame map editor and just delete the edge connections but i can't guarantee the ingame editor won't turn the .map file into mincemeat, as it tends to do with maps generated by tools other than the ingame mapgen.

twoski fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 2, 2019

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Million Ghosts posted:

No. Part of the goal was avoiding corner positions.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Turin Turambar posted:

Have you seen the new mechanical militia? It gives a decent number of defenders and 6-7 'iron fly' with 25pd

High prot fliers with 5an shock damage attack!
Huh, patch notes.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Are there any new good lets play games up that are mostly completed? I've watched all the older stuff.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I remember playing and enjoying Dom 3 like, a decade ago, and have once again felt the itch.

Can someone give me the short on if I should get the new game or just reinstall the old? I'll probably be sticking with single player as I am a scrub.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I remember playing and enjoying Dom 3 like, a decade ago, and have once again felt the itch.

Can someone give me the short on if I should get the new game or just reinstall the old? I'll probably be sticking with single player as I am a scrub.

The singleplayer in this game seems like a waste of time to me. The AI seems to cheat to make up for its less-than-stellar strategies, at least that's what i've noticed when people go AI in online games.

Practicing in singleplayer does little to prepare you for playing actual people, and i think you're missing out by not playing against real people. Diplomacy is an interesting part of the game you lose entirely by playing offline.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

the games a whole lot different from dom3, many new mechanics and nations. battles happen in sort of real time instead of turns so they are slightly more cinematic and lots of things are different there. blesses are much different because you get to chose different blesses for every path instead of them always being the same thing. some commanders take more than one turn to recruit and there is a totally new kind of resources. lots of balance changes.

also miraculously a lot of improvement on user interface.

jsoh fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 8, 2019

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I went straight to MP and it's been a little frustrating, but fun. The first 2 games I did my best to talk to my neighbors only to be ignored, surrounded by what I can only assume to be temporary allies, and taken out within 15 turns. The 3rd game I hosed up my expansion and then was targeted, I'm assuming because others saw my expansion was poo poo. Fun times.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
are goons still doing MP for this? the MP thread is locked, and i'd like to jump into a game or two (utter MP newbie) but have no idea where else online to even look for people

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Million Ghosts posted:

are goons still doing MP for this? the MP thread is locked, and i'd like to jump into a game or two (utter MP newbie) but have no idea where else online to even look for people

There's also the very official discord server, where most of the MP action is taking place now.

But I don't know how to spring you an invite.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

You should get Dom5. Why?

-The AI has been improved. It still far away to be like a human, obviously, but from Dom3 times it had lots of small improvements that accumulate over. It's now enough competent that a casual player can get dozens of hours of fun with it.
-New content. Ok, this is obvious. New nations, new units, new spells, etc. In fact I would say the nations revamped or created in Dom4/5 are better than the old ones in general, some of the old nations that come from the first games are a bit generic in comparison. I would say the devs have grown as designers and try to give a stronger theme to them, a unique mechanic, something that feels different than the rest.
-The real reason of why play Dom5 over Dom3: there has been several interface improvements since then, that alleviates the heavy micro of this game a bit. Playing Dom3 at this point is *crazy* just for this reason.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

theres a discord invite in the op , but also in this post right here https://discord.gg/w5prhF9

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
NAZCA is still the most insane nation in the entire game but la phlegra and phaeacia are at least really original ideas

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885426 why am i doing this please stop me

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The hero we need.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I’ve been playing around with Bless heavy, Bow of War focused set ups, why is Thundering Weapons so costly? 1 damage + 3 fatigue damage for a pretty deep bless investment vs other path’s blessings or even raw Precision stacking seems not worth it

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Lightning damage stuns units.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

because you hate yourself at a base level and need all of us to know

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

my dad posted:

Lightning damage stuns units.

Oh that's a bit of a game changer then, nice.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
I did a cool little update for the map generator and made it so that map layouts (ie. the dimensions of the map and the placement of player spawns and throne spawns) are stored in XML files, so you can create several different layouts for each player count.

An example of a wacky new 4 player layout:

Might be useful if you wanna make a map that has more provinces between each player, etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can somebody help me with the mod inspector? Say I see a national spell. It usually lists what nations can cast this spell, as long as no more than three nations can use it. But if there are more, it lists "Various Nations (x)". I get that x is the number of nations that can use the spell, but is there a way to see a list of these nations? So if it's "Various Nations (5)", where can I see which 5 nations can use the spell?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Torrannor posted:

Can somebody help me with the mod inspector? Say I see a national spell. It usually lists what nations can cast this spell, as long as no more than three nations can use it. But if there are more, it lists "Various Nations (x)". I get that x is the number of nations that can use the spell, but is there a way to see a list of these nations? So if it's "Various Nations (5)", where can I see which 5 nations can use the spell?

hover your mouse over it

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Is there a dom5 map pack anywhere? I know I'm a dumb AI playing scrub but I just like to gently caress with the custom art maps and it's a pain in the rear end to individually download them all.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Washout posted:

Is there a dom5 map pack anywhere? I know I'm a dumb AI playing scrub but I just like to gently caress with the custom art maps and it's a pain in the rear end to individually download them all.

With Steam workshop it's just one click per map!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Turin Turambar posted:

With Steam workshop it's just one click per map!

There aren't all that ,any on the workshop, last I checked.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

There aren't all that ,any on the workshop, last I checked.

Must have been centuries ago, last time I checked, I collected about a dozen new maps (and ignored about as many I deemed rubbish)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Did any consensus ever emerge about roads and their impact on map balance?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think we've had aids long enough to really draw any conclusion, but most of the roads on that are just a connection between two provinces, which is not really going to let c'tis or ulm suddenly race around the map. It's probably a "maps are unbalanced anyways but less so than the game itself" deal.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm considering making a google form to gather feedback on what people actually want changed if I'm updating CartRev again (probably one last patch before I call it quits for good). Before I send such a thing into the wilds of the general community though - Is there any particular reason that'd be a dumb af idea? I'm not used to having any real body of people actually use poo poo that I made, so I don't know how to efficiently gather information...

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 20, 2019

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The only thing I can imagine asking for is support for generating maps with all nations. I don't care if it takes a long time to process.

Disclaimer: I haven't used it in awhile, so apologies if it already does this, and weigh this request lightly considering I haven't used it in awhile. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Corbeau posted:

I'm considering making a google form to gather feedback on what people actually want changed if I'm updating CartRev again (probably one last patch before I call it quits for good). Before I send such a thing into the wilds of the general community though - Is there any particular reason that'd be a dumb af idea? I'm not used to having any real body of people actually use poo poo that I made, so I don't know how to efficiently gather information...

add a popup for people that make 4 water starts with 1 water nation to call them idiots