Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
AITA for telling my girlfriend that when we have kids they will have my surname and not be double barrelled?

quote:

Backstory: I’ll try and make this as non-biased as possible.
This conversation came up very early in our relationship. I told her from the start that I want my children to have my surname and I didn’t want any hyphenation. It was a short lived talk but it seemed like she understood. We have rarely ever had arguments in our relationship (Could count them on 1 hand!) and we are solid ‘life partners’. This conversation came up again last night which became a little heated. She didn’t realise how strongly I felt about this and I didn’t realise the same with her.
She doesn’t want her family name to die (From her step father) as all his children are women and have not given the name to their children or kept it themselves. Ever since I wanted children I have always wanted them to take my surname, I’ve never seen it any other way. I understand this is selfish but I had made it clear from the get-go this was what I wanted.
In the end she ‘gave in’ and said I can take it but did say various comments about me being stubborn and never compromising. In my head this is one of the very few things that I am dead set on…. But now it’s got me questioning if I am just a stubborn piece of poo poo usually, I don’t feel it is though.
Am I the rear end in a top hat? Do I need to compromise? I think if I did double barrel the surname I would start to despise the name/children and it wouldn’t be healthy for any of the relationships. I know this seems rather silly but it means a lot to me.
EDIT: I seem to have worded the last statement wrong and without context. I wouldn't despise the children, it would be the name because in that situation it would have been forced upon and not agreed beforehand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Agrikk posted:

“Because our problems is so complicated, I can't explain anything succintly in one shot. In fact, I suspect that it is possible at all.”

You see, my problem is so complicated it is impossible to put into words.

Let me give it a shot: you bailed on her and she now wants nothing to do with you but you want her back.

Hrm. Actually that was pretty easy.

I am also very impressed with myself and am writing this whole thing one-handed while I talk about myself and things I think make me smar---oh. I'm done.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Greetings from page 3880, you guys post so goddamn fast I’ll never catch up

Can someone post the story of the guy who found out his gf cheated on him and then she said he could sleep with someone NSA and then they’d be even and he waited like three years to do it and then hosed up his relationship really hard because of it, that’s a good story and I’d love to see it in mid July when I get there

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

christmas boots posted:

So wait she texts him Monday when there's still lasagna left by his own timeline, and he doesn't bring it back?
Well you know how he feels about Mondays

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

JaneError posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend that when we have kids they will have my surname and not be double barrelled?

that’s one hell of a Freudian slip. He would despise his children for having a hyphenated last name but whoooops that doesn’t play well better back peddle

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I'm really loving all the bridezilla stories. Yes you are the rear end in a top hat.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
If you are wondering if you're the rear end in a top hat, the fact that you haven't met your "best friend"'s husband who she has been with for 3+ years might be a clue.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Either give everyone a +1 or no one how the gently caress do you break your brain to the point that you're going "these people can bring a guest but not these people"?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

"But it's MY DAY" totally not a day to celebrate family and friends.

God these people suck.

I went to a wedding with a pit-roast pig and it was way better than all the stuffy proper weddings I've been to. These people just don't know how to throw a party.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

JaneError posted:

Hmmmm he would despise a name if it was forced as he is forcing a name hmmmmmmm

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
r/Parenting gives us a part-time dad who won't let the fact that his kid is crushing it get in the way of imposing arbitrary horseshit.

What are appropriate screen time limits for a 16 year old?

quote:

I have posted before about my kids. I have 3 teenagers. Two who live with me full time and one who lives with his mom full time but stays over every other weekend.

I don't have limits with the younger two because they don't need them. They rarely use screens but the oldest would love nothing more than to sit on the computer all day. I try to go out and do things with him but he refuses. I'm thinking if I give him time limits he'll want to manage that time more wisely and will be more willing to participate in the family. His mom doesn't think he needs screen limits because he does well in school. He's taking two AP courses and currently has As in both. He has taken the ACT and SAT once each so far and got a 34 on the ACT and a 1460 on the SAT. He is going to retake the SAT because he knows his score is too low. He's not a bad kid and he's so bright but he gets sucked into the YouTube and Twitter world so easily. I want him to study for his permit so we can go out and practice driving. I want him to find an extracurricular to do since he quit his previous ones. I want him to be more present in the world.

What are appropriate limits. I would say on weekend his brother and sister average about an hour or two in front of screens. Is that a good range?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

duck trucker posted:

Either give everyone a +1 or no one how the gently caress do you break your brain to the point that you're going "these people can bring a guest but not these people"?

I guess I’d say that you can have broad classes who get/don’t get a +1, like: family and close friends get it versus college friends who might not.

But you can’t pick and choose within those classes, and if a bridesmaid/groomsman doesn’t rate high enough to be in the “+1” class then it’s :chloe: to have them be part of the party then?

It’s me, im the guy Knot-posting in Gibbis.

E: Is The Knot even “a thing” (as the kids say these days) anymore? Back when BORAT VOICE MY WIFE and I were engaged it was quite the place? :shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 1, 2019

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

reddit dad is just jealous his child is going to have a lucrative career in computer touching

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp

Midnight Voyager posted:

Circumcision is really making the rounds today.

BOOO! Boo this poster!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Barudak posted:

It will continue happening until we cut the topic off at the base.

https://youtu.be/MXsYnJ636Gg

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you think you are prettier than the bride you should have to mutilate your face before the wedding to not upstage her. Then again knowing this woman she'd just get everyone paying attention to her cool scars and it wouldn't be about MEEEEE.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

reddit dad is just jealous his child is going to have a lucrative career in computer touching

Reddit dad thinks his A-student kid who got a 1460 on his first try is a failure because he doesn't have enough friends.

The funny part is, the kid could very well have a ton of friends, he's just not hanging out with them every other weekend because he's at his dad's house, which is not home.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
I’m poisoning my womb, according to husband

quote:

I was originally going to post to AITA but I feel like I need a bit more advice here than just “yup you’re an rear end in a top hat” so please give it a read and comment your opinion. I won’t be changing my stance, but I guess I need help on how to convey that without attacking how my husband feels. Plz and thank you in advance. Keeping original format because I’m lazy. If it’s an issue please let me know!

Hey reddit, wondering if I’m the rear end in a top hat here. I find this mostly humorous and there’s no chance of me leaving my SO over this, so that’s not the issue. Truly just trying to figure out if I’m the rear end in a top hat.

Husband and I have been married for a year now. I currently have an expired IUD that should’ve been taken out a year ago, in the mean time only form of BC we’ve used is the pull out method. I’ve been on various types of birth control for almost 10 years now. I have an appointment to get my IUD taken out on Monday. I was thinking of getting another one put in, or switching to the pill.

Now here’s where he completely spazzed. And I say spazzed because we’ve talked about having children before, and we both agree we’re no where near ready nor is our lifestyle anything close to stable to bring another life into this world. I also know everything he’s saying he’s saying out of love and concern so I know there’s no maliciousness here, which is why I’m wondering if ITA.

We were at his mothers (we’re all very close nothings off limits) and I mentioned this doctors appointment to get this IUD taken out. She asks if I’m getting another put in and I say yea, maybe the pill. And then my husband buts in and he’s like “woah I thought we agreed on no birth control. It’s un natural, the hormones I don’t want to bring an unhealthy baby into this world cuz the birth control hosed it up. “

At this point i wasn’t sure if he was joking or not because occasionally we’ll both play devils advocate mockingly but I responded lightly “Okay, well birth control is so you don’t have babies, and it doesn’t gently caress them up, granted the hormone imbalance for the woman isn’t great, but it’s worth it to me to not have an unwanted baby” and he goes off about how he was with his ex before me for 8 years and relied only on the pull out method and he never got her pregnant. Which granted they lived a much nicer lifestyle at the time so a kid wouldn’t have crippled their life but I mean I bet she was on birth control and just didn’t tell him since he apparently feels so strongly about it. Or they really did just use the pull out method and that’s fine but if I’m not using condoms with my husband I want an added layer of protection because i don’t want babies right now he told me it was like I don’t trust him. That’s not the case, I just don’t want babies. He said I lied to him, because we talked the other night about hormonal birth control and how it can have negative side effects (I’ve dealt with them myself before meeting him so I definitely did agree with some points) but I thought that was just a discussion. I wasn’t agreeing that birth control is bad or not for me, I didn’t know that was the conversation we were having.

Then I brought up how I’ve been on birth control since I was 14. He couldn’t believe I had been poisoning my body for so long and in his logic this means it would take forever for these hormones to cycle out of my body and the damage to be undone for when we do decide to have children.

So I basically said I’m sorry for the miscommunication but it has nothing to do with not trusting you, I just don’t want a baby until I’m ready. I’ll be getting a form of BC no matter what. And when we’re trying I’ll get off of it however long makes you feel comfortable. But until then I’m protecting myself from having an abortion, because I don’t want to be faced with that type of decision and I don’t want to be pregnant.

He feels lied to and untrusted and I know how much he wants to be a father when the time is right. He’s actually very upset after this conversation and I know he’s mainly upset because he believes BC will poison my womb (and my body in general) and could hurt our future children. He’s NOT upset because we’re not trying for a baby, and he’s NOT upset over any type of sex or control reason. To him he’s upset because he sees it as a health risk. I really think if I don’t address this correctly when he wakes up from his grumpy nap it’ll just grow into some sort of distrust or betrayal.

SO ALL THAT BEING SAID, AITA? Should I have disclosed this earlier? Is he right? AITA for not caring and getting BC anyways?

TLDR: husband thinks birth control is poison, and will poison me and future babies. I want birth control because I don’t want babies right now and don’t think the pull out method is reliable enough

Edit: My overall question has now turned to “How do I educate my anti birth control, anti vax husband” without shaming or talking down to him.

And I’ve pointed out his opinions come from a lack of formal education, not blatant ignorance or social media. Currently, I believe he only feels this way because he literally was never taught. And yes, I am very aware these are dangerous opinions, and I do not agree with them. However I love and respect my husband and I want to do this right

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

TheScott2K posted:

r/Parenting gives us a part-time dad who won't let the fact that his kid is crushing it get in the way of imposing arbitrary horseshit.

As someone who tested pretty well and really hosed up my life by being a huge shut-in video game nerd from the beginning of middle school onward I actually support the father in setting screen time limits. But he has to work it out with the kid so they think it's fair otherwise they're just going to find ways to work around it.

Edit: also did the ACT max score change because IIRC it's 35 and it seems weird to get 34/35 on the ACT but 1400-something out of 2400 on the SAT.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 1, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

GruntyThrst posted:

As someone who tested pretty well and really hosed up my life by being a huge shut-in video game nerd from the beginning of middle school onward I actually support the father in setting screen time limits. But he has to work it out with the kid so they think it's fair otherwise they're just going to find ways to work around it.

I don't think every-other-weekend dad is the guy to impose new limits out of nowhere just as the receipts are coming in for the kid doing well at school.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

TheScott2K posted:

I don't think every-other-weekend dad is the guy to impose new limits out of nowhere just as the receipts are coming in for the kid doing well at school.

I did manage to skim over the fact that the father was out of the picture most of the time. Assuming for the sake of the argument the kid is acting the same at both homes I'd still say the same thing though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

GruntyThrst posted:

I did manage to skim over the fact that the father was out of the picture most of the time. Assuming for the sake of the argument the kid is acting the same at both homes I'd still say the same thing though.

Sure, you don't want him to end up on r/incels. Mom should probably push harder on the driving thing. I'm having a pretty easy time imagining this kid just trying to tablet and phone these lovely weekends away, though.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

If you think you are prettier than the bride you should have to mutilate your face before the wedding to not upstage her. Then again knowing this woman she'd just get everyone paying attention to her cool scars and it wouldn't be about MEEEEE.

It's been a while but there was a story about a guy whose bride to be wanted him to replace one of his groomsmen because he was too tall and ugly to be photographed. Lurch maybe?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TheScott2K posted:

i'm not american are these goodd numbers?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

GruntyThrst posted:

Edit: also did the ACT max score change because IIRC it's 35 and it seems weird to get 34/35 on the ACT but 1400-something out of 2400 on the SAT.

The SAT is back down to 1600 again. The writing section is separate now.

Anyway, the kid might just be spending most of his time on his phone/computer when he's at dad's because he's further away from his friends or whatever he usually does. I guess it depends how far away the mom and dad live and whether he's like that all the time or just every other weekend.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Boiled Water posted:

Yes. That SAT score is likely 98th percentile and the ACT one is 99th.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Good scores, no friends, heavy internet, sounds like Lowtax has another $10 coming his way soon

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

welcome to hell posted:

I’m poisoning my womb, according to husband

The comments are amazing as this lady admits he is an anti-vaxxer, doesn’t believe in therapy and basically isolated her from everyone she knew.

It’s like her whole concept of her life is unraveling in real time until the mods locked the post.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

They're bonkers numbers. This is the third thread dad has posted and in one of the other ones he describes the kid as "not exceptional." Dad is nuts.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for refusing to hire a vegan chef when most of our dishes are meat based?]
So I have been working in my parent's bar and grill/cafe for as long as I can remember. There is an emphasis on steak, hamburgers, tacos, fish, etc, along with a lot of other meaty bar foods and sandwiches. We have practically zero vegan/ vegetarian dishes. We have exactly one now that I think about it, a simple veggie platter. My parents have been running this place for 10 years now, and we have earned a good reputation in the neighborhood as a local hotspot.

I have been attending college nearby recently so my hours have naturally dropped, but I am still a high ranking manager within in this grill/cafe. I will often handle the hiring process these days, as my mother is the head chef and my father is in ill health and trusts my judgement. I am a fair judge of character and have hired a lot of our best employees.

We have been searching for a new chef to take my mother's spot very soon, as she is getting ready to retire. A friend of mine recommended another friend of hers for the position, a recent culinary grad. I agreed to give her a fair chance and had her pass on a message to the friend in question to come in for an interview.

Fast forward to the day of the interview. She comes in with a good looking resume, but she has no actual job experience in the culinary field as of yet, only college. This isn't a dealbreaker for me, everyone has to start somewhere. As I start asking about her favorite dishes, she first makes it very clear that she is a strict vegan and begins to outline her favorite vegan dishes.

I am bit concerned at this point. I ask her if she is aware that we are a grill house/cafe with a heavy emphasis on meat. I ask her how she is going to taste the dishes if she can not/will not eat meat. She assures she me that she will just have someone else do it, but this does not work for me. We get very busy and everyone has their own express job inside of the kitchen. The head chef is responsible for all final tasting and quality control. It is an important duty. A chef who refuses to taste their own food might as well be cooking with a hand tied behind their back, as my mother put it later.

I end the meeting after a bit, talk to my parents about it, and end up calling her later and telling her that after our consideration we feel she would be better suited in a kitchen that suited her own tastes. She had a complete meltdown and hung up on me. My other friend then texted me up a storm, calling me an rear end in a top hat, saying I should have given her a chance, she is having a hard time finding work as a vegan chef in this area, etc. After thinking about it for a bit I do feel bad, but I remain firm that she would not have been a comfortable fit in such a meat heavy environment. AITA?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

They're bonkers numbers. This is the third thread dad has posted and in one of the other ones he describes the kid as "not exceptional." Dad is nuts.

The part about him retaking the SAT because he knows his score is too low makes me sad.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

The part about him retaking the SAT because he knows his score is too low makes me sad.

"Y'know I only got a 1599 I can really do better"

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
Why do AITA posters think they need to give people complete and honest details when rejecting them for a job application or a second date?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

Why do AITA posters think they need to give people complete and honest details when rejecting them for a job application or a second date?

Well what else was he supposed to do there, she literally just wasn't a good fit

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I had to try 3 times for a score that was lower than that kid's woke-up-this-morning 1460.

The kid apparently wants to do online school senior year and I don't blame him - excellent grades and test scores at "real school" apparently buy him zero goodwill with his dad.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A 14something really isn't in line with a 34 on the ACT. He's definitely right to take it again. Dad is still nuts though

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Blade Runner posted:

"Y'know I only got a 1599 I can really do better"

that was my dad 100%. i went to this stupid loving catholic highschool that changed the grade scale, so As were only 94-100, B was like 87-93, etc (which was a whole other level of dumb, because the colleges only looked at the letters, they cant be hosed to look up that youre in a stupid "high achiever" school and it messes up your transcript), and even then i'd bring home a 94 and he'd go "well its only an A-, you can do better." shockingly, this isnt good for longterm mental health, as can be shown by my account on this site

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Blade Runner posted:

Well what else was he supposed to do there, she literally just wasn't a good fit

I know she wasn't, but why not just say "we decided to with someone else" instead of saying we are specifically not hiring you because you're vegan? Or why does guy whois secretly gay prefers 'boyish' women have to say he didn't want to go on a second date with that girl because he didn't like what she had going on in the chest area?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Well, a job application is supposed to be strictly professional. And this woman's lifestyle choice specifically barred her from the job she otherwise would have gotten. You just can't work with food and refuse to taste the majority of what you're producing, and she should at least be made aware of that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

I know she wasn't, but why not just say "we decided to with someone else" instead of saying we are specifically not hiring you because you're vegan? Or why does guy whois secretly gay prefers 'boyish' women have to say he didn't want to go on a second date with that girl because he didn't like what she had going on in the chest area?

Setting aside that these are two very different situations, how is preferring more masculine women make someone gay exactly?