Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I honestly don’t relate to gamers at all any more.

Do what I do: Gaming Enthusiast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If someone really wants to do that, and I know plenty that do, more power to them. I never felt the need and it never affected how I shot people or build structures.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

If someone really wants to do that, and I know plenty that do, more power to them. I never felt the need and it never affected how I shot people or build structures.

i mean good for you but this systems are very deliberately designed to make people want to do that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CelticPredator posted:

I am not trying to ban you from playing fortnite by pointing out that the monetization scheme is questionable

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll cop to honestly not caring enough about it to really argue any points.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Sorry you need to buy the SA discourse pass and grind up 1000 care points if you want to join the discusion for real.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll cop to honestly not caring enough about it to really argue any points.

you should look at the type of mmos that the chinese go crazy for.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

Sorry you need to buy the SA discourse pass and grind up 1000 care points if you want to join the discusion for real.

Monetizing "lurk more"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

you should look at the type of mmos that the chinese go crazy for.

No thank you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I bought a switch and really enjoy New Super Mario U. It’s the first video game I’ve owned since the 90s. That’s all I know about video games.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

You could also not pay at all and still have fun.

The costumes don’t help anything or affect game play other than silly animation.

Aesthetics and self expression via cosmetics are important to people

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You have to remember that Fortnite is what the next generations are playing. It's synonymous with kids and teens, this generation's minecraft.
Go to the Microsoft store and you'll see little kids playing Fortnite on the demo computers.
The way Olsen explains Fortnite works might not work on you, but younger people will be far more susceptible to them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stormgale posted:

Aesthetics and self expression via cosmetics are important to people

Like I said I can’t relate.

And yes, kids will fall in the trap. I guess I find games in general to be a weird trap hobby now so I got out of it. All of it seems like that these days. Even something like Anthem just seems like a time trap. Endless grind for something so stupid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sekiro owns and just came out and you pay once to play it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Augus posted:

It’s been a long time coming but it’s finally happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHPNgIihR0

someone else remembers this spartan life i see

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I guess I must be getting old because every aspect of Fortnite’s popularity mystifies me. Minecraft I could at least sort of understand because it works like a virtual lego set, but Fortnite is just a shooter with obnoxious art design.

CelticPredator posted:

And yes, kids will fall in the trap. I guess I find games in general to be a weird trap hobby now so I got out of it. All of it seems like that these days. Even something like Anthem just seems like a time trap. Endless grind for something so stupid.

You shouldn’t take stuff like Anthem or Fortnite to be representative of all modern games, even if that is what gets a lot of attention in the media. I know it sucks that once-great studios like Bioware ended up making garbage, but that’s just one corner of the gaming market. There’s plenty of excellent games still getting released (and I mean from real studios, not just indie games) without microtransactions or lootboxes or any of that crap.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 1, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like Fortnite

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fortnite is at best the third best battle royale but its popularity makes sense to me.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I got into it because it was free, not a huge time sink (until you get good, which I never did), and not the same drab brown as most modern shooters.

Also I was playing with only people who also played it on Switch so I didn't have a relative handicap that I would have had playing it on PC, since I'm better at twinstick shooters than K&M shooters, and also don't have to deal with people competent at K&M shooters (which put them on a level above me by default).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i don't understand the popularity of battle royale games in general but then i also kinda aged out of competitive multiplayer entirely and really only do co-op or single player anymore so :shrug:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

This argument/point comes up a lot in these discussions and... I mean, yeah, I'm usually not swayed by the aesthetics and superficial stuff, either, but you do realize that other people are, and that's not a failing on their point, right?

Like, I'm also not especially susceptible to scummy fear-based marketing, but I still think it's a bad thing.

Bakeneko posted:

I guess I must be getting old because every aspect of Fortnite’s popularity mystifies me. Minecraft I could at least sort of understand because it works like a virtual lego set, but Fortnite is just a shooter with obnoxious art design.

I assume it's mostly popular because it's popular- kids can play it together with other kids and have fun. It could be anything, it just happened to hit the right demo at the right time.

quote:

You shouldn’t take stuff like Anthem or Fortnite to be prepresentative of all modern games, even if that is what gets a lot of attention in the media. I know it sucks that once-great studios like Bioware ended up making garbage, but that’s just one corner of the gaming market. There’s plenty of excellent games still getting released (and I mean from real studios, not just indie games) without microtransactions or lootboxes or any of that crap.

When you're old and out of touch it's really easy to miss out on the actual good things, because we're not the ones being marketed to, so we only hear about something when it gets massively popular and/or goes badly enough that it reaches the news. (See also: every single moral panic based around a couple of out-of-context things in popular media.)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'm surprised more people haven't been talking about Warframe wrt Battle Passes and the like. WF recently introduced its own Battle Pass called Nightwave... except it's completely free and only requires "about 65% of the weekly challenges over 10-12 weeks" to max out according to the devs and it seems to have been successful in drawing back lapsed players and dragging the player-base out of doing the same 2-3 modes and into doing some of the less played aspects of the game.

It's had some teething problems of course (at least one aggressively unfun or down right mean-spirited challenge per week so far, and a lack of communication on whether the unique non-cosmetic rewards will be available again somewhere down the line), but it feels like using a decent model to maintain player engagement without making it an exploitative mess.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The problem with lootboxes is that it's pulling a lever and hoping you get something you want instead of just paying for the thing you want with money. Would anyone ever prefer to say, have a random chance of a paycheck every week or two? Also it's prominently being marketed to kids which is the biggest problem.

That said, guys, I need you to yell at me about them, because I don't think TF2's system is also gross.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

You could also not pay at all and still have fun.

The costumes don’t help anything or affect game play other than silly animation.
Because I a person with legs have no problem navigating them, there is no issue that you have to traverse stairs as the only means to get into and out of this building.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

The problem with lootboxes is that it's pulling a lever and hoping you get something you want instead of just paying for the thing you want with money. Would anyone ever prefer to say, have a random chance of a paycheck every week or two? Also it's prominently being marketed to kids which is the biggest problem.

That said, guys, I need you to yell at me about them, because I don't think TF2's system is also gross.

I like TF2's cosmetics because there's a lot of variety you can do with making your character look uniquely yours.

With Overwatch and most of these other games, it's just that sure is the same legendary skin everybody else has.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't understand the popularity of battle royale games in general but then i also kinda aged out of competitive multiplayer entirely and really only do co-op or single player anymore so :shrug:

Same.

Then I started playing board games and had even less time for video games.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Terrible Opinions posted:

Because I a person with legs have no problem navigating them, there is no issue that you have to traverse stairs as the only means to get into and out of this building.

Don’t buy anything when it comes to games. Don’t even buy games!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Todd (in the Shadows) is panicking on Twitter. I think he might have got some nasty copyright strikes.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
remember when EA patented a system about queueing up people without any cosmetics to people with expensive cosmetics, in a bid to get them exposed and raise desirability of items, good times

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
valve used to be my favourite game developer but it turns out tf2's crates were a warning sign that things were going south.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ArfJason posted:

remember when EA patented a system about queueing up people without any cosmetics to people with expensive cosmetics, in a bid to get them exposed and raise desirability of items, good times

I think that was Activision but all that means is they were the only ones stupid enough to a talk about it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I think that was Activision but all that means is they were the only ones stupid enough to a talk about it.

oh yeah, wrong awful game company. also yep

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

HopperUK posted:

Todd (in the Shadows) is panicking on Twitter. I think he might have got some nasty copyright strikes.

fuckin abolish copyright ffs it only helps incredibly wealthy and greedy shitheads and fucks over smaller people like todd who cannot afford to hire legal teams to argue fair use

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

ArfJason posted:

If it's the patent I'm thinking of, it's even more insidious.

From what I remember, the match making system would let a brand new player play a few games until it got a feel for what weapon the player preferred, then it would match them up against a player who not only used the much more powerful real money version of said weapon, but played at a much higher skill level.

The goal being the low level player using one of the basic weapons would lose badly, and the game would then try to sell them the real money version of said weapon.

If they didn't buy it the system would collect more data and try it again later.

If they did buy it, the system would then match them up against brand new players in order to convince them that the new weapon they bought is just that good, with the hope they would buy other weapons, while at the same time trying to convince the player they beat to buy the weapon that just killed them.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

HopperUK posted:

yeah like 40 of his videos got taken down :smith:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

CelticPredator posted:

Anthem is an EA game, so of course it's going to be a garbage money sink with "live services." It doesn't take too much work to find out which games aren't money pits.

The problem is that people with addictive tendencies are susceptible to those scummy tactics. You not personally relating to that doesn't change those facts.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Roth posted:

I like TF2's cosmetics because there's a lot of variety you can do with making your character look uniquely yours.

With Overwatch and most of these other games, it's just that sure is the same legendary skin everybody else has.

I keep meaning to reinstall TF2 to play again, but it's got a pretty hefty install, and I'm running low on HDD space as it is.

The cosmetic/weapon system helped give the game a bit more variety. I don't know how many people remember this (or if I'm just remembering it wrong), but the whole alternate weapon/item thing came about first with the Medic, as a way to get more people to play that class.

Granted, it did bring the game downhill a bit in regards to monetization (I still have all those unopened crates), but you could still get weapons through random drops & achievements.

With Overwatch... I don't know. As a game, it feels too rigid, I guess. I know OW added in support for it later, but TF2's custom servers allowed for a lot more freedom, and matches ran for a lot longer. In terms of cosmetics, OW's lootboxes seem a lot worse.

There was going to be a mod that let you play the game as it was back in 2008, but I guess Valve nixed it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Well, nobody PLAYING prefers lootboxes, but the publishers prefers them, because they prey on people with gambling issues.

dmboogie posted:

yeah like 40 of his videos got taken down :smith:

Jesus, gently caress youtube so much

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ArfJason posted:

valve used to be my favourite game developer but it turns out tf2's crates were a warning sign that things were going south.

Is it bad if I actually find TF2's crates worse than most in the business? Even the most exploitative lootboxes can at least be opened for free at some point, but you legit aren't getting your TF2 crates open unless you shell out for keys. You also only get one item, and it could legit just be a normal weapon you'd otherwise get from a random drop. Maybe when the idea of a shooter having a drop system was new and quaint it was fine, but with the way the industry's winds are blowing it just seems kinda rotten to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I really enjoyed hbomb's video on tranformers as I, too, was a big fan of the franchise since childhood. I don't quite remember if I watched the animated movie when I was a child (i do remember watching the return of optimus prime vhs a whole lot), so when I got a dvd of it around the time the live action movie first came out I was shocked at how intense it could get. I'll pop it in and watch it again sometime soon for the first time in a decade and see what I think of it and reminisce of the time I put a whole lot of energy into these silly toy robots