Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Trigun is a manga/anime on a Wild West-style desert planet that lots of people liked.

I don’t know of any media from Japan that actually takes place in the American Southwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Dr Christmas posted:

Trigun is a manga/anime on a Wild West-style desert planet that lots of people liked.

I don’t know of any media from Japan that actually takes place in the American Southwest.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run.

maltesh has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Apr 2, 2019

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Too bad nobody ever figured out what D4C stands for.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
The Good The Bad and the Weird is a fantastic ball-to-walls insane hilarious Korean 'Western' set in 1930s Manchuria . The 30 minute four (five?) way running chase/battle (involving numerous bandit groups, heroes and the Imperial Japanese Army) at the end is gloriously bananas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tk80iXCspM

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kaiketsu Zubat is an old Japanese superhero show where the hero is a also a drifting cowboy guitarist when not in costume.

In this clip our hero meets a baddie who claims to be the best American Football player in Japan but turns out he's only the second best. A variation of this situation happens basically every single episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv2mRsHqQFM

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

christmas boots posted:

I wonder if the Japanese ever made any westerns. I don't mean in the sense that Yojimbo is a western, but like an honest to goodness actual western with cowboys.

E: Don't say Cowboy Bebop even if it's true.

Afro Samurai kinda does this iirc (the setting is a weird mish-mash of post-apocalyptic sci-fi, western stuff, and samurai stuff). Also Sukiyaki Western Django, even though people hate it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Anime loves its space samurai westerns, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop come to mind. And there's probably been a few manga that play it more straight, just you rarely see that adapted to anime since it's not as marketable.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Are there other cultures that have their own time periods that were as heralded or mythalized but was basically such a non event as the wild west in American culture?

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Are there other cultures that have their own time periods that were as heralded or mythalized but was basically such a non event as the wild west in American culture?

Not totally a period, but dont samurai basically get the same treatment in the west? We treat them like mythical warriors when really they were similar to cops.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

basically such a non event

lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Not totally a period, but dont samurai basically get the same treatment in the west? We treat them like mythical warriors when really they were similar to cops.

Even in Japan they get overly romanticized.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Scandinavia and the Viking Age though there hasn't been nearly as many films made about it as samurais and cowboys. Icelandic director Hrafn Gunnlaugsson made a trilogy of viking films in the 80s and 90 that've been called "Cod Westerns". The first one, Hrafninn flýgur (The Raven Flies) is a pretty decent remake of Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

do you mean by sheer quantity when you say 'were as heralded'? in film, probably not

it was pretty easy to make a convincing-looking western on a tight budget - iirc eastwood just wore his own regular clothes under his poncho for a fistful of dollars, skills like horseback riding were still in common currency in rural america so quickly finding expert help was super easy for scenes heavy on extras, shooting locations out in the boonies were easy to acquire and inexpensive to get, etc, etc, etc - and once you've built up an industry around quickly and cheaply producing sets, costumes and the like the genre got ridiculously cheap and easy to get involved in and even a small time director could pull off the distinctive look and feel of the period, they just needed a good idea

compare that to more ambitious projects like sci-fi, or period pieces with more elaborate costumes/sets or even modern films taking place in a city where you gotta close down blocks and acquire more expensive shooting permits and you got a recipe for a genre that can uniquely turn over a profit

the closest equivalent going by quantity i can think of offhand are certain kinds of martial arts genre films in the asian markets, but they don't necessarily mythologize a particular time period so much as they essentially mythologize the martial arts themselves

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hard counter posted:

do you mean by sheer quantity when you say 'were as heralded'? in film, probably not

it was pretty easy to make a convincing-looking western on a tight budget - iirc eastwood just wore his own regular clothes under his poncho for a fistful of dollars, skills like horseback riding were still in common currency in rural america so quickly finding expert help was super easy for scenes heavy on extras, shooting locations out in the boonies were easy to acquire and inexpensive to get, etc, etc, etc - and once you've built up an industry around quickly and cheaply producing sets, costumes and the like the genre got ridiculously cheap and easy to get involved in and even a small time director could pull off the distinctive look and feel of the period, they just needed a good idea

compare that to more ambitious projects like sci-fi, or period pieces with more elaborate costumes/sets or even modern films taking place in a city where you gotta close down blocks and acquire more expensive shooting permits and you got a recipe for a genre that can uniquely turn over a profit

the closest equivalent going by quantity i can think of offhand are certain kinds of martial arts genre films in the asian markets, but they don't necessarily mythologize a particular time period so much as they essentially mythologize the martial arts themselves

It's not really fair to say that sci-fi is more expensive, it was also very cheap for a very long time.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

It's not really fair to say that sci-fi is more expensive, it was also very cheap for a very long time.

when kirk is always skulking around "desert planets" sure

gangster movies were also probably pretty cheap to film

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
A lot of western movies were actually filmed in Spain rather than the actual American west. Some of the most iconic scenes from them aren't in America at all. They're called Spaghetti Westerns because of Sergio Leone. He was an Italian director that figured out America had quite the appetite for action westerns that were absurdly historically inaccurate. He basically invented that formula and figured out that whole hire a poo poo load of people ride horses around and film them for action scenes thing.

The actual American west in that period was very very quiet if there wasn't a war going on. The natives had already been more or less completely wrecked and actual fights between Americans and natives were pretty rare. The number of settlers moving west actually killed by the natives was like a dozen, ever. The whole "white man taming the wild lands" thing was also a myth. White people were a minority among cowboys; they were mostly black or Mexican. Things were quiet and safe enough that they rarely carried any guns at all. Mostly they just had to drive cattle around and not break anything to earn a living.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

luxury handset posted:

when kirk is always skulking around "desert planets" sure

gangster movies were also probably pretty cheap to film

Kirk skulked around on a gangster planet too

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Kirk skulked around on a gangster planet too

and a Third Reich what-if planet, and also a Cold War post-apocalypse planet, if I am recalling my Stars Treks correctly

convergent evolution works in mysterious ways

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh, and there was Cowboy Planet.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Iron Crowned posted:

it really helps when charlton heston happens to land on an ape planet that mostly uses wagons, rifles, lassos and horses

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SatansOnion posted:

and a Third Reich what-if planet, and also a Cold War post-apocalypse planet, if I am recalling my Stars Treks correctly

convergent evolution works in mysterious ways

Also the 60s a couple of times, and the 60s but also the Roman Empire. And the 40s but not with gangsters.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hard counter posted:

it really helps when charlton heston happens to land on an ape planet that mostly uses wagons, rifles, lassos and horses

The blasters in Star Wars were just modified WWII era guns, because apparently there were tons of them around at the time :shrug:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Part of the problem with the USA is it's relatively young, so there's not really a lot to mythologize. Like you've got the revolution, civil war (which can be touchy), the "wild" west, and then the great homogenization kind of begins, with little dips out for WWII and Vietnam. Like euros have Kings and saints and popes and all kinds of stuff to draw upon to make toothless inaccurate portrayals of but not the US.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Scandinavia and the Viking Age though there hasn't been nearly as many films made about it as samurais and cowboys. Icelandic director Hrafn Gunnlaugsson made a trilogy of viking films in the 80s and 90 that've been called "Cod Westerns". The first one, Hrafninn flýgur (The Raven Flies) is a pretty decent remake of Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars.

there is always this abomination. a remake of a 20 year old (at the time) sami movie

datajugend has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Apr 2, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A lot of western movies were actually filmed in Spain rather than the actual American west. Some of the most iconic scenes from them aren't in America at all. They're called Spaghetti Westerns because of Sergio Leone. He was an Italian director that figured out America had quite the appetite for action westerns that were absurdly historically inaccurate. He basically invented that formula and figured out that whole hire a poo poo load of people ride horses around and film them for action scenes thing.

The actual American west in that period was very very quiet if there wasn't a war going on. The natives had already been more or less completely wrecked and actual fights between Americans and natives were pretty rare. The number of settlers moving west actually killed by the natives was like a dozen, ever. The whole "white man taming the wild lands" thing was also a myth. White people were a minority among cowboys; they were mostly black or Mexican. Things were quiet and safe enough that they rarely carried any guns at all. Mostly they just had to drive cattle around and not break anything to earn a living.

In fact, a lot of towns would make you surrender your firearms upon entry. Shootouts like O.K. Corral really weren't that common for the most part.

But what fun is that?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kaiketsu Zubat is an old Japanese superhero show where the hero is a also a drifting cowboy guitarist when not in costume.

In this clip our hero meets a baddie who claims to be the best American Football player in Japan but turns out he's only the second best. A variation of this situation happens basically every single episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv2mRsHqQFM

this is fantastic I need more

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The 40s one was the actual 1940s cause of time travel, the Nazi one was a rogue Starfleet officer who took over the planet, and the gangster one was (iirc) a crashed Earth spaceship had a book about gangsters that the locals took as a guideline.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

The 40s one was the actual 1940s cause of time travel, the Nazi one was a rogue Starfleet officer who took over the planet, and the gangster one was (iirc) a crashed Earth spaceship had a book about gangsters that the locals took as a guideline.

Close; before Starfleet adopted the Prime Directive a ship contacted the people of Sigma Iotia II. They were pre-warp humanoids that looked exactly like us and hadn't invented radios yet but were smart and willing to talk. The ship left behind a bunch of books as well as instructions on how to build stuff like radios and cars and whatnot.

A book about the mob got elevated to the point that it became basically their Bible and their culture adapted to mimic stereotypical mafia gangsters.

The Enterprise also goes there in the NES Star Trek game.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Apr 2, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

datajugend posted:

there is always this abomination. a remake of a 20 year old (at the time) sami movie

It's even more embarrassing since they made a much better version using actual Danes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

muscles like this! posted:

Even in Japan they get overly romanticized.

More in the sense of show Euros look at knights rather than the Wild West.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think it helped that there was so many other things that could kill you. Yes, the likelihood of you dying in a gunfight or being scalped was low, but you still probably died and in a lot of pain. It just wasn't in a cool way.

Of course now it seems most Westerns focus on the fact it wasn't a very long period in American history and how those cowboys and gunslingers cope with encroaching civilization. I'm guessing that's a big theme in the new Deadwood movie since it takes place 12 years after the old one ended which is right about the end of the Old West.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

pentyne posted:

It's even more embarrassing since they made a much better version using actual Danes.

Denmark has a sami population?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Werong Bustope posted:

this is fantastic I need more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piNHP7gXbgg

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh, and there was Cowboy Planet.

:actually: The gunfight one was actually an illusion made by the Melkotians because Kirk ignored their warning buoy to stay away.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Most of the real wild poo poo that happened was based around mining, but even if you go some place like Jerome, Arizona and look at that stuff it basically sparked up and died out completely within a decade. And it almost feels disingenuous to call that stuff the west since it was such a weird aberration compared to everything else going on out there.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Pirates maybe?

The so-called Golden Age of Piracy that most people imagine when they think of pirates lasted about 10 years tops (roughly 1716-1726), and most of the famous pirates from the era only operated for a short time. Blackbeard's entire pirate career was about 18 months.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Not really a time period, but Asian media in general and Chinese media specifically sets a lot of shows based on the Journey to the West. One that got popular in the west was Dragonball and by extension its various spin-offs, but there are tons of adaptations of that book.

Also now that I think of it, there is tons of Chinese media set during the Three Kingdoms period (Romance of the 3 Kingdoms etc.), and there are tons of shows and movies in Ancient China, especially during the Tang and Han dynasty.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think Romance of the Three Kingdoms doesn't count since it is already a mythological take, right?

edit: ^^^My bad, didn't see that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Three Kingdoms period, plus the fall of the Han Dynasty was a good 90 years long. It doesn't really fall into the same category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Old_West_gunfights

My favorite is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Branch_Saloon_gunfight

Interesting times posted:

Frank Loving was a 19-year-old youth at the time of the fight. Although often referred to as being a gunman, that reputation did not develop until after this gunfight. Loving had come to Dodge City from Texas, arriving the year before and settling into the gamblers life of the busy cattle town. He'd married, became friends with Long Branch owner Chalkey Beeson, and become associated with several notable gunmen, gamblers and lawmen of the day, including Doc Holliday, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, John Allen, as well as Levi Richardson.

Levi Richardson had a tough disposition and was disliked by most, but did get along fairly well with Bat Masterson. He had a reputation as a gunman, despite it being mostly hearsay. In early 1879, Loving quarreled with Richardson, claiming that Richardson was making unwanted and disrespectful advances toward his wife, Mattie Loving. The two threw taunts back and forth for a time, but with nothing more than verbal confrontations until March, when the two became involved in a fist fight on Front Street. After exchanging punches, Richardson exclaimed "I'll blow the guts out of you, you cockeyed son of a bitch." Loving, not being armed, simply turned and walked away.

On April 5, 1879, Richardson had evidently had enough. He strode into the Long Branch Saloon, specifically looking for Loving. However, Loving was not there at that time. Richardson then settled into a game of poker, and around 9:00 p.m. Loving strode in. Loving took a seat at a long table, at which point Richardson moved over and sat across from him. The two men could be heard talking low to one another, but what was said could not be understood. Suddenly, Richardson said loudly "You wouldn't fight anything you damned son of a bitch," to which Loving said calmly "Try me and see."

Richardson stood and drew his gun, which prompted Loving to do the same. Both men began firing, with Richardson firing five rounds and Loving firing six. When the shooting stopped, Richardson had been shot in the chest, the side, and the arm. Loving was grazed on the hand by one bullet, but otherwise was uninjured. Town Marshal Charlie Bassett quickly responded, having heard the shots, but his Deputy Marshal Duffey arrived first, taking hold of Richardson, just before he crumpled to the floor. No one else in the saloon was injured, and Loving was arrested per standard procedure in such a case. On April 7, 1879, a coroners inquest ruled the shooting self defense, and Loving was released without charges. The newspaper The Globe later reported "It seemed strange that Loving was not hit, except for a slight scratch on the hand, as the two men were so close together that their pistols almost touched each other."