Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg6qXiqqzFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new chapter

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sometimes you just gotta yell at your fighter. Not advice. Just yelling.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think we have just found a coach worse than Kamogawa. "My boxer is getting utterly loving rocked. Just stop feeling it, ya know!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kamogawa would have been watching the guy lay comatose on the mat thinking, "good, everything is going according to plan"

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

And he's going to win, isn't he? Just seems to be setting up a giant upset out of nowhere to try and get cheap drama out of it.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

And he's going to win, isn't he? Just seems to be setting up a giant upset out of nowhere to try and get cheap drama out of it.

It could be going for a Machine Vs Monster thing. What with Takamaru's "Only monsters can pass this line", Iga might be going a different path of cold heartless machine rather than a hungry unrelenting monster.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just like one of my Japanese animes :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc6Gaqklz9Y

e: Also 1257 is out. Love to have two seconds with no idea what the other one is doing :downs:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 26, 2019

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Iga was trying to use the Dragonfish blow at the end there right? Are the three weaknesses just his two losses and Kimura?

Also starting to think this Marin fellow might be a bad guy.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
he's bad not because he slapped him, but because he slapped him in the wrong spot

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
yeah I wanna slap ippo for that. It's what got them this far. Man Ippo you took too many punches to the head.

So any takers when Mashiba will take the Dragonfishblow? Next chapter?

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Jesus christ, this really is a new level of being a lovely corner man. Even if this strategy works somehow and Mashiba loses, what the gently caress kind of career can the dude have after keeping this up?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

LordNagash posted:

Jesus christ, this really is a new level of being a lovely corner man. Even if this strategy works somehow and Mashiba loses, what the gently caress kind of career can the dude have after keeping this up?

Well if you look at Ippo...

Not a particularly long one.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ippo's pro boxing career is actually pretty decent by most standards in terms of length. He has boxed for like... I wanna say 6-7 years?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, like for real: Ricardo Martinez' boxing record is straight-up insane. Lasting that long in Boxing is like one in a million chance.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LordNagash posted:

A good one if he makes a world champion. For a lot of people results are the important thing. Not that Maron is not super lovely.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1258 is up.

Pretty short one. Not too fond of this pacing especially since it seems pretty unlikely that this will work. Mashiba sensed it last round. But hey, it's cool that Kimura is being acknowledged.

MonsterEnvy posted:

A good one if he makes a world champion. For a lot of people results are the important thing. Not that Maron is not super lovely.

Pretty much. Winning is the ultimate deodorant in sports.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

Ippo's pro boxing career is actually pretty decent by most standards in terms of length. He has boxed for like... I wanna say 6-7 years?

According to the fight posters we've progressed from 198x to 199x over the course of the series. Surely someone is nerdy enough to have listed out all the timing between all his fights and built a chronologically accurate Ippo timeline.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Ippo's pro debut match was in January 1991. His last match was in January 1999. Some of the specific days are missing but you can see all the dates of his matches here: https://ippo.fandom.com/wiki/Makunouchi_Ippo

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i did a breakdown of the timeline a few years ago as well. its generally consistent but there isn't a TON of care put into it, is the main takeaway

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Time is convoluted in glorious Nippon.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1259 is out.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
ah, the strongest weapon of all, cheating

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

ah, the strongest weapon of all, cheating

In the history of sports, it has proven the most successful tactic.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Indeed. Pissing off Mashiba so he can get ejected is a pretty good bet.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ref declares that Iga was in fact eating and not cheating

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I will say, this is effective nonsense for a fight. Like... this isn't bullshit magic punch nonsense. This just requires the Ref to be stupid, a thing which is very real. I like this, I want to see Mashiba win and I don't think this difficulty is like "Okay, I'm bored of this."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think Mashiba is going to absolutely dismantle this dude. It should be enjoyable.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Yeah, I think Mashiba will not fall into the trap (or will calm down a little after going wild of awhile and still win) and show Ippo that you can overcome your weaknesses or something like that.

That ref should retire tho, he's really bad at his job. Is he the only ref in Japan?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It'd be amusing if he keeps his cool and just demolishes the guy, then beats the living poo poo out of the coach and fighter in the parking lot or something. Because who the gently caress thinks starting poo poo with "He's an insane badass I could never defeat, let me threaten his livelihood by exploiting his incredible rage issues!" is going to end when they call the fight? Like that dude ends up in prison and you end up in the morgue.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm torn between wanting Mashiba to handle it cooly and win vs say gently caress it and literally kill Iga and just quit boxing in the process.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The refs in Ippo are all loving blind

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Once Ippo gets back into boxing and becomes fully mentally impaired he can become a ref as Plan B

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"behold, my extremely legal punch. i call it the neck spiral of the reaper because it twists your neck around 720 degrees and you loving die" *extremely hitman style noise*

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I could genuinely see this ending bad for Mashiba

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ippo has retired enough other boxers it's about time someone got killed in the ring

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Iga will punch Mashiba so many times that his emotions will all come rushing back, sealing his defeat

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I’m fine with the ref being blind because boxing has been bullshit sometime. Not our first rodeo when we had a bad ref. Though the other one was called out.

I also want Mashiba to punch this assholes head off. See if that gets his emotions going. Oh wait he’s dead. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Skirting the line between blatant fouls and plausible deniability is actually a thing, so this isn't actually too bad of a game plan for HnI standards. Do poo poo that rattled your opponent because you know you can get away with it.