Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://youmadeitweird.nerdistind.libsynpro.com/brody-stevens-re-release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Saw Kreischer last night. Enjoyed it a lot. I assume a lot of people dislike how often he'll just start cracking himself up, but his silly rear end laugh is so infectious. And it makes my wife start giggling like a mad woman as well, which makes me start laughing.

I do feel slightly bad for him though. Due to THE BIT.

Poor guy. I had slight reservations about going to see him for fear of loads of people yelling out "The Machine!!!" all night. On cue - I heard it a few times in the first couple minutes of his set. He basically stopped and said "You know I'll tell it. Just stop. It's at the end." Thankfully this shut people up for the most part. Well, as quiet as a rather liquored up audience is gonna get.

So he closed with it. Been a while since I've bother watching footage of it, and to my mind he seemed to tell a rather abbreviated shorter version. I can't imagine for a second he enjoys telling that story any more. Surely it's made him a load of money, but Christ. He's gotta be sick of it.

Question. Any other comedians out there so enslaved by a single bit? Gaffigan pretty much has to tell some Hot Pockets joke(s) every set I would imagine, but he's got a lot to choose from there. I assume at the height of the Chappelle Show, any set he did was ruined by idiots yelling "I'm Rick James, Bitch!" or any other of a dozen catch phrases. But I can't think of any other comedian that's so connected to a single story.

Side topic - got tickets to see Stanhope here (Twin Cities) in May. Stoked. First night (tues) sold out nearly immediately. Second night (wed) was added and sold out immediately. Got an email saying that they were working on a 3rd night. Club in question is already booked (With the amazing Ali Siddiq) for 4 nights after that 2nd Stanhope night. Club he's performing at isn't even open on Mondays, but a couple days later - the email came. Monday night show added. Don't know if that's rare or not, but thumbs up to my favorite drunk.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Tony Phillips posted:

Question. Any other comedians out there so enslaved by a single bit? Gaffigan pretty much has to tell some Hot Pockets joke(s) every set I would imagine, but he's got a lot to choose from there. I assume at the height of the Chappelle Show, any set he did was ruined by idiots yelling "I'm Rick James, Bitch!" or any other of a dozen catch phrases. But I can't think of any other comedian that's so connected to a single story.

The crowd at Louis CK shows reportedly were screaming the N word in reference to his bit about it. Or perhaps that's just his crowd now. :v:

But no nothing specific comes to mind

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

smash that watermelon gallagher

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bring out the racism puppet, Dunham!!!!!!!!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

The Berzerker posted:

Bring out the racism puppet, Dunham!!!!!!!!

which one though

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Tony Phillips posted:

Saw Kreischer last night. Enjoyed it a lot. I assume a lot of people dislike how often he'll just start cracking himself up, but his silly rear end laugh is so infectious. And it makes my wife start giggling like a mad woman as well, which makes me start laughing.

I do feel slightly bad for him though. Due to THE BIT.

Poor guy. I had slight reservations about going to see him for fear of loads of people yelling out "The Machine!!!" all night. On cue - I heard it a few times in the first couple minutes of his set. He basically stopped and said "You know I'll tell it. Just stop. It's at the end." Thankfully this shut people up for the most part. Well, as quiet as a rather liquored up audience is gonna get.

So he closed with it. Been a while since I've bother watching footage of it, and to my mind he seemed to tell a rather abbreviated shorter version. I can't imagine for a second he enjoys telling that story any more. Surely it's made him a load of money, but Christ. He's gotta be sick of it.

Side topic - got tickets to see Stanhope here (Twin Cities) in May. Stoked. First night (tues) sold out nearly immediately. Second night (wed) was added and sold out immediately. Got an email saying that they were working on a 3rd night. Club in question is already booked (With the amazing Ali Siddiq) for 4 nights after that 2nd Stanhope night. Club he's performing at isn't even open on Mondays, but a couple days later - the email came. Monday night show added. Don't know if that's rare or not, but thumbs up to my favorite drunk.

https://youtu.be/37nwLhIA1zs

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

piratepilates posted:

smash that watermelon gallagher

This is probably as close to what I was thinking of as possible.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Andrew Dice Clay would be a good example, too. He got really loving tired of doing the dirty limericks and the cigarette tricks and all that entailed, I even remember him ending up on a sitcom where he ran a record label in the 90's where he made a big deal out of removing Dice from his name. He can't get away from it, though.

George Carlin got to a point where he HATED doing the Drill Sargeant bit, because whenever variety shows would contact him, he found he only had a set amount of material he could do for TV (S&P being where it was at the time), so he'd do variations of it, like the Drill Sargeant on the Mayflower, for instance.

Jim Jefferies, also. He had a bit in his newest special where, as a birthday present, Mariah Carey booked him to play the birthday party of the fella she was dating (some billionaire, don't remember his name). And he was just doing material he thought would do well, and in the middle of it, the guy realizes who Jim is and why he was booked, and basically demanded he do the gun control bit. Jim figured he might not get paid if he didn't so he went along with it.

I think Sam Kinison might have ended up in a similar situation, had he not passed. It seems like screaming about women had almost become a set part of his act at that point.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 6, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jim Jefferies, also. He had a bit in his newest special where, as a birthday present, Mariah Carey booked him to play the birthday party of the fella she was dating (some billionaire, don't remember his name). And he was just doing material he thought would do well, and in the middle of it, the guy realizes who Jim is and why he was booked, and basically demanded he do the gun control bit. Jim figured he might not get paid if he didn't so he went along with it.

Amusing-ish story about that bit on a podcast.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comedy/comedians/comedian-ian-cognito-dies-onstage-audience-think-part-act/

https://twitter.com/jimmycarr/status/1116688860359069697

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGCRZb2D2WY&t=49s

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Following in Redd Fox’s footsteps. For those who don’t know, he died of a heart attack, and since his most famous bit was faking a heart attack no one knew it was real.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Andrew Dice Clay would be a good example, too. He got really loving tired of doing the dirty limericks and the cigarette tricks and all that entailed, I even remember him ending up on a sitcom where he ran a record label in the 90's where he made a big deal out of removing Dice from his name. He can't get away from it, though.

George Carlin got to a point where he HATED doing the Drill Sargeant bit, because whenever variety shows would contact him, he found he only had a set amount of material he could do for TV (S&P being where it was at the time), so he'd do variations of it, like the Drill Sargeant on the Mayflower, for instance.

I think Sam Kinison might have ended up in a similar situation, had he not passed. It seems like screaming about women had almost become a set part of his act at that point.

There's a TON of stand up comedians who get pigeon holed into catch phrases and worn out bits.

Tim Allen, Foxworthy, Kinison, Carlin, Gaffigan, Chris Rock, Dice, Larry the Cable Guy, Rodney Dangerfield, Steve Martin, Ron White..They get known for it and then let down the audience if they don't do the bit. Must suck even if they sometimes get a TV deal out of it.

I NEVER got why so many people want to hear old bits when they go to a show. Seeing your favorite band playing your favorite songs is one thing but comedy gets less funny each time you hear it. I went to a Steven Wright show once where the whole set was old material and it was the most boring comedy show I've ever seen. I saw Cosby once too and he did the dentist bit. Audience was howling but I thought it was boring filler.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Larry the Cable Guy being pigeon holed? What?

Dude built his entire character as a white trash stereotype

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Yeah but it's all an act that he can't drop even if he wanted to.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Maybe "pigeon holed" is the wrong term.

Harminoff posted:

Yeah but it's all an act that he can't drop even if he wanted to.

That's what I meant. Same with Foxworthy. Comedians who basically BECOME their catch phrases/characters/bits.

Of course their situation is much worse if it never goes huge, they actually do get stuck in that pigeon hole and they turn into "HEY! Wha' Happened?" or a Yakoff Smirnoff - like a one hit wonder band that HAS to play THAT SONG every night - but I'm sure even the famous ones get tired of riffing the same old poo poo.

Although I bet most comedians would kill for a one liner they could turn into a TV show and slap on a t-shirt (again, like a band seeking a hit single) but, man, once you're locked in I could see it getting old quick.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This made me think of one of my all-time favorite recurring SNL bits, the Kings of Catchphrase Comedy:

https://youtu.be/o6PCcM39Pgg

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
YOU EVER COME HOME TO YOUR WIFE... EATIN DOOKIE?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The Beef Jelly character has got to be based on this actual comedian

https://youtu.be/R-gytvj1w2w

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The Beef Jelly character has got to be based on this actual comedian

https://youtu.be/R-gytvj1w2w

I assume Alonzo Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-gytvj1w2w

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Why did you quote and then post the exact same video I linked?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Why did you quote and then post the exact same video I linked?

Lol. Completely misread what you wrote as asking who the character was based on. Brain fart.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

HAM BURGER

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tony Phillips posted:

I saw Kreischer a few months ago in this small comedy club in Madison and it was great. He did this thing where he passed around a pitcher to collect money that he'd give to a random server at the club, and he'd been doing it at every show, which was pretty great. It ended up going to a server whose family owned a small (really good and locally famous) Vietnamese restaurant that had recently (no joke) been hit by a car so he passed it around a second time.

It was an awesome show. He kept pulling out his phone to try out new bits on us, and actually did a longer version of The Machine, so I dunno, something must've gone right.

Also agreed about his silly dumb laugh. I dunno why but it always makes me laugh along.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I expected to hate the one special of his that I saw but it was actually fairly good. He's alright by me, I guess.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

Harrow posted:

I saw Kreischer a few months ago in this small comedy club in Madison and it was great. He did this thing where he passed around a pitcher to collect money that he'd give to a random server at the club, and he'd been doing it at every show, which was pretty great. It ended up going to a server whose family owned a small (really good and locally famous) Vietnamese restaurant that had recently (no joke) been hit by a car so he passed it around a second time.

It was an awesome show. He kept pulling out his phone to try out new bits on us, and actually did a longer version of The Machine, so I dunno, something must've gone right.

Also agreed about his silly dumb laugh. I dunno why but it always makes me laugh along.

I love the Comedy Club on State. You going to see Maron or Funches coming up?

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
Netflix started to add a bunch of odd stand up comedy. Some of the foreigner poo poo is not funny at all
seems like they just went for quantity not quality.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like to think that you mean comedy by or about the band of Foreigner, and that there's a classic rock comedy circuit I just haven't heard of.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Here's a potentially dumb question about something that was admittedly minor.

Went to a show Friday night at one of the local comedy clubs. Headliner and one of the openers had some CDs for sale after the show. At this venue they'll usually be set up where you'd go by their table on your way out. Basically, they're right there as you file out. Had a good time? - say hi, maybe (please) buy a CD as well.

So the headliner basically closed his set with (I'm paraphrasing ever so slightly, but this is pretty drat close.) "If you want to talk to me after the show, I'll be... (kinda pointing back towards the area where they'll be)... surprised." A small throwaway line at the end of the set, but really drat close to a Hedberg joke. So, how close to someone else's material does something have to be before it would be an issue among comedians?

I don't exactly expect Rogan to be heckling the guy over it, but I'm genuinely curious.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fooge posted:

I love the Comedy Club on State. You going to see Maron or Funches coming up?

Yeah, that's a fantastic club. I missed the window to get Maron tickets but I think some friends and I are going to go see Funches and I'm pretty excited.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Tony Phillips posted:

Went to a show Friday night at one of the local comedy clubs. Headliner and one of the openers had some CDs for sale after the show. At this venue they'll usually be set up where you'd go by their table on your way out. Basically, they're right there as you file out. Had a good time? - say hi, maybe (please) buy a CD as well.

So the headliner basically closed his set with (I'm paraphrasing ever so slightly, but this is pretty drat close.) "If you want to talk to me after the show, I'll be... (kinda pointing back towards the area where they'll be)... surprised." A small throwaway line at the end of the set, but really drat close to a Hedberg joke. So, how close to someone else's material does something have to be before it would be an issue among comedians?

I don't exactly expect Rogan to be heckling the guy over it, but I'm genuinely curious.

I've heard that same line from several comics. It's kind of a standard throw-away line, like saying "My ride's here" if there's a siren outside. I don't think anybody'd be upset about that as far as stealing material goes, but it's kinda hacky to use recycled lines like that.

Any comedian who's been at it for a while has had the experience of parallel thought, where they and another thought of similar jokes independently. It's usually just an indicator that the joke's not that clever. A joke like this is much more likely to be a case of that than stealing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

I think just by trying to be funny and making jokes you're bound to repeat something someone else has said. Christ, look at this message board and all the "edit: F/B" posts.

I've heard comedians do jokes that I've actually come up with on my own through the course of my life. The line is when you willfully do it or refuse to STOP doing the material once you know it's "someone else's bit". I don't think you can copyright a loving joke and in the stand up circle, going back a long way, comedians would steal jokes from other acts all the time, similar to bands copping riffs and songs and often in terribly blatant and lovely ways.

It's much harder to get away with now due to the internet and I think in the case of comedy it's mostly down to the honor system but there's bound to be some unintentional cross over, especially with topical humor acts.

Most good artists in any medium steal or lift from their peers and mentors but the good ones mold and shape it into something their own and produce something original. You mention Hedberg, for instance, and he's highly indebted to Steven Wright by quite a bit but he shaped his act in a way that no one called it blatant rip off.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

This feels a lot like comedians who come on stage to applause and open with "Thanks! Goodnight!".

It's hacky, but it's not really theft.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't really think you can say something as blandly self-depreciating as that as "a stolen joke".

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Like I said - pretty minor to begin with. Will admit my lack of knowing that it's a common throwaway line. I really only know of it since it's on one of Hedberg's albums.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
It's weird that I don't recall ever hearing about gary gulman.
He seems to be very famous? I liked his shows he has on spotify.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Asked if everyone was having a good time tonight and got a notice from the dmca

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
new jeselnik special good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bango skank posted:

new jeselnik special good

I thought it was a big step back from his last one. Had a few really good jokes, but overall meh