Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

DominusDeus posted:

Or just watch Cody'sLab in general.

As long as YouTube doesn’t take his channel down again. I think they’ve done it 2? or 3 times now. Lame.

Bought a graded 8 Reales that was recovered from the El Cazador shipwreck that happened in 1784. I’ll have to take a picture when I eventually find my way home. Cool piece and they can be found inexpensively if you have patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
I want an 8 reales, but not a shipwreck example, and I want a super early one. A 1600's Atocha would be awesome.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Super Waffle posted:

You all should watch this guy refine down $10k worth of scrap jewelry into a bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuwbwYNnAKA

I can't say i've ever watched Cody's Lab but that was a great video and i'll have to watch more!

Also my Ukranian Archangel and South African Krugerrand came in. Those designs are pretty neat!

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Podothehobbit posted:

I can't say i've ever watched Cody's Lab but that was a great video and i'll have to watch more!

Also my Ukranian Archangel and South African Krugerrand came in. Those designs are pretty neat!

I don’t know what it is, but I just love the Krugerrand design. I haven’t checked prices lately but I remember the silver ones carrying a decent premium.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

meat police posted:

I don’t know what it is, but I just love the Krugerrand design. I haven’t checked prices lately but I remember the silver ones carrying a decent premium.

Yeah the premium was by far the highest premium I have paid for a coin over metal value and yet it was still about 8 dollars less than the usual JMBullion, Provident Metals, Gainesville prices. I totally get what you are saying about the design though, something about the high relief and high polish makes it really pop.

Edit- Also you have to love Paul Kruger's giant neckbeard

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 9, 2018

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Another month and another couple of neat-o silver pieces. I got in a South Korean Silver Chiwoo Cheonwang which is really neat and I love the design of a lot of the South Korean coins. In addition on the bullion side I have developed a love for hand poured bars, in this case a couple of Monarch 10 Ounce hand poured bars. They are very satisfying to just palm in your hand and the little imperfections are awesome!

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I love Monarch's work. My local coin store had a kilo bar he was willing to let go for "only" 608 when new bars go less for that, and it was an awful looking bar at that. drat shame, I'll own one one of these days.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Picked up 5 random common date cull Peace dollars.

Then I picked up 15 random Morgan dollars to fill out a roll I had.

And this cool card I carry around in my wallet:

I got kind of pissed about my LCS trying to take me for a ride so I put out a call for sanely priced St. Gaudens. Going to see how that pans out.

Edit: the dollar is really waking up

Might be time to get in while the getting's good.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
New purchases;

Series 2013 Federal Reserve $2 bill, San Francisco district, star note. 128.000 print run.

And a coin design I've wanted for a long time, and now also my most valuable coin;

1807 Draped Bust half dollar, Heraldic Eagle. Mintage of 301,076. Graded PCGS VG08.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Prices are lookin reeeaaal low these days. Anyone picked up anything lately?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Super Waffle posted:

Prices are lookin reeeaaal low these days. Anyone picked up anything lately?

I grabbed a '23 peace dollar just to carry around in my pocket. Not that exciting. Coin place near me has a bucket of em on the counter. They do have a lot of neat stuff though, a wall safe bigger than my apt. and racks of all kind of carded coins, gold and silver that they must roll in nightly. And easy couple of tons.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I plan on installing a wall safe once I buy a place, complete with painting in front of it.

I picked up a cheap 1922 peace and a 1921 Morgan for $36 as gifts for a friend; shes not a collector but loves anything from the '20s. My shop seemed pretty glad to be rid of them, seeing as they'd been polished :v:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Traded some 1/10 eagles in and got two more graded double eagles, then bought another sovereign when gold was at 1240. I’ve promised myself that if silver hits below 15 I’ll buy myself a kilo bar just for funsies.

The 2018 silver krugerrand dropped recently and I just couldn’t really care about them anymore. I got that graded one from last year during release and the BU ones still are carrying too much of a premium.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

I’ve promised myself that if silver hits below 15 I’ll buy myself a kilo bar just for funsies.

Welp, poo poo. $14.90/oz already.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm on vacation in Edinburgh and I happened into a curiousity shop. I traded my wallet 2016 silver eagle for three fake gold sovergeins and a framed picture of King Kong. Not sure who got robbed :v:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Saw my buddy's graded 1874 Trade Dollar and I think I'm in love, my favorite design so far outside of Mercury dimes and Standing Liberty quarters.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

So SafeChat, what do you guys use for storage/security? Any safes you can recommend?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Super Waffle posted:

So SafeChat, what do you guys use for storage/security? Any safes you can recommend?

I used to use a Sentry personal fire safe, but I've since switched to a Cannon gun safe both because of the size of the collection, and obviously guns. Definitely look at the fire rating first and foremost, then weight of the safe if you're worried someone's gonna try and remove it. I personally like both safes, but I've never had a fire or robbery. I don't entirely like that they both have keypads, but I'm a curmudgeon who's selective about what technology I like.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Gun safes are choice. Large unwieldy beasts that allow you too buy too many guns on top of coins—although I keep mine in a safe deposit box at the local bank. In a pinch though a regular full size safe would do ok, Sentrysafe seems like a good brand I see a lot in the online coin groups.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I figured I should bring a gift to the thread before I come in here asking questions. :v:

So here's a neat little thing.

2 kroner coin celebrating the 60th birthday of King Christian X of Denmark. I doubt it has very much actual value, but it is neat. (I'm also pretty surprised at how well my phone camera handled itself)

Now for my question, is there an easily searchable database if I want to find coins and notes with space travel motifs?

MrBling fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 17, 2018

SammichBacon
Nov 11, 2013

Just picked up some more civil war tokens. I need something better for pictures...

SammichBacon fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 29, 2018

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I want to put together a US coin type album and want to see both sides of the coins, but I've found that the albums I have with this type of cutout with plastic slides on both sides:

still let the coins pop out and slide around.

And I'm not knowledgeable enough about all the different types to just use one of those generic 2x2 albums (how will I know which ones I'm missing?!)

Do any hybrid type coin albums exist where they use the 2x2 cardboard holders (or some other kind of secure pockets) but also have designated type labels? I guess I could just look at album pages online and write the coin types on slips of paper to slip in the bottom of the pockets, but :effort:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Wifi Toilet posted:

Do any hybrid type coin albums exist where they use the 2x2 cardboard holders (or some other kind of secure pockets) but also have designated type labels? I guess I could just look at album pages online and write the coin types on slips of paper to slip in the bottom of the pockets, but :effort:

You could buy a US coinage guide like this or use a site like Numista to figure out what you need.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Weembles posted:

You could buy a US coinage guide like this or use a site like Numista to figure out what you need.

Welp, I just bought a dansco 7070 and if it sucks I will move things over to a 2x2 type album. Thanks for the links, that Numista site looks interesting.

SammichBacon
Nov 11, 2013

I also bought a Dansco 7070 for $20 on eBay. I also have a large number of just 2x2's and also ordered a binder and some pocket pages for it too.

I just use an old red book to find out what coins I need to get each one of a series by date and mintmark.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Hopefully somebody has bought something cool while prices have been low. I’ve been searching for 1oz US Assay silver rounds but no fair deals out there yet.

SammichBacon
Nov 11, 2013

I bought a couple American Silver Eagles, an 1878 Morgan and a couple Mercury Dimes. I'll take pics once they arrive from everywhere all over the US.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Hopefully somebody has bought something cool while prices have been low. I’ve been searching for 1oz US Assay silver rounds but no fair deals out there yet.

I've been saving up for a house but the market here is borked so I'm going back to renting. I might buy a roll or two now that I got all this money sitting around for at least a year.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Eyeing those kilo bars while we’re sub-15. Today’s tech sector dropping has helped this impulse purchase.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Got my first REAL gold coin today (1/0 oz maple leafs don't count).

I've been looking for a young Victoria sovereign for sometime, so a half-sovereign is pretty close! It's somehwat worn and there's some scratches on the flip side -- I have no fricking clue what it might grade as.

Does anyone have much experience with services like NGC , especially as a Canadian? Paying for membership, shipping, grading, and a fancy little box seems like it might be extravagant if a coin would only sell for what I originally paid. I dunno I'm not good with numbers my household candle expenditures are bankrupting me...

Oh and for some exonumia here's a copper ingot I melted and poured in a bucket furnace behind my house a few weeks ago :science:

And here's its ugly butt: :tutbutt:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I bought two kilo bars of silver, god bless this mess.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I was curious about buying the American palladium coin, and I got worried that the metal is up $400 in trading. I did not expect Apmex to be selling the coin for double the spot price, first minting or not.

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 14, 2018

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

https://m.muenze-berlin.de/Berlin_70_Jahre_Currywurst-97244-951023.html

:stare:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

gently caress that's a good coin.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Haven't gotten much of anything in the last year. Too much vehicle repair bullshit.

A King Edwad IV peace for my monarchs set:

A "Panama Pill:"

And Canada's new vertical $10:

I've really not enjoyed this last year. Honestly don't expect to enjoy this year either.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I present to you:

Please note that it is a meteorite site, NOT an anus. :airquote:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That is absolutely a dirty anus

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Finally got some time off to drag my Sovereigns out from their safety deposit box and play with them:

Hands down my favorite foreign gold. I also got more cull Peace dollars but those aren't anything to write home about. I've been on the prowl for Gold and Silver certificate dollars lately but unfortunately my local coin place rarely comes across them. I hope y'all took advantage of the low metal prices for a good chunk of the end of last year.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't really collect coins as much as accumulate them, but as I have a bunch of rather nice-looking domestic coins that are 60-110 years old, I'd like to find a storage solution that's a bit more refined than the current "camera film canisters and an old Ananas candy tin" situation. I went a-BingTMing and came to a rather surprising conclusion: there is absolutely no loving way to safely store coins while still being able to look at them every once in a while!

Every resource I could find basically said: coin holders with adhesive make the coin gray in a few decades, coin holders without adhesive (i.e. ones you staple shut) let air in and the coins get dirty in a few decades, clear plastic pockets - or album pages containing the same - loving disintegrate the coin, and hard plastic "pills" wear down the coin. Small acid-free paper envelopes - as used by museums - were the only storage option no expert could find fault with.

The photographic evidence of all this was actually perfectly convincing, but I'm wondering if manufacturers these days don't just use better-suited materials? I mean for a coin to acquire a horrible layer of green poo poo inside a holder in thirty years, the holder has to be at least thirty years old.

Any ideas? I'm thinking big name-brand (Leuchtturm is the only one I recognize) stapled holders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I’ve mostly heard good things about the Air-Tite capsules and the tubes you keep the capsules in. Heard a few stories where some folks got some toning on silver though, not sure if the capsules failed or what. It’s what I normally use for coins that aren’t worth sending off to get graded but I still want to avoid having them get banged up.