Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

quote:

You burst out into the open to a cacophony of Quoku cries. In seconds, you realize your mistake: you have played into their hands. Poised on top of the overhanging rock is the largest Quoku you have ever seen. The huge monster rears up, its yellow eyes glaring with hatred, the poison glistening upon the warts of its slime-encrusted flesh. It leaps and swoops down on you. Shall we fight it or keep running?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7tNxEZDqpA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Guy Fawkes posted:

Run like hell!

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I'm assuming that's a vote for attack.

Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 3 ENDURANCE 5 WILLPOWER -2
Quoku: COMBAT SKILL 12 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: -9

We roll: 1
Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 3 ENDURANCE 0 WILLPOWER -2
Quoku: COMBAT SKILL 12 ENDURANCE 30

Death Count: 4.

wait, did we lose our staff too? I don't remember that being possible. drat!

So yeah, our offensive output is severely hampered along with everything else and that's all the more reason to continue running away

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Perky posted:

keep running from the giant flying poison frogs that outnumber us

wait, did we lose our staff too? I don't remember that being possible. drat!

So yeah, our offensive output is severely hampered along with everything else and that's all the more reason to continue running away
We've still got our staff but we have no Willpower points to spend so it's functionally an ordinary staff. Except when the book forces us to spend WP, then it still works fine. The rules don't always make a lot of sense.

Grey Star the Wizard posted:

Shan stands motionless, his body frozen with fear. With one hand he holds his sword shakily aloft, while he covers his eyes with the other, peeping through the gaps between his fingers as the Quoku rushes towards him.

At the cost of 2 WILLPOWER points, you punch a flaming hole through one of the Quoku’s wings and it shrieks in pain. The injured beast is knocked awry; it veers sharply to the left and crashes to the ground.

Willpower: -4.
Shall we attempt to finish it off or run away?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Keep running

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Finish it off! Maybe the others will decide to eat their buddy instead of us.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

We've still got our staff but we have no Willpower points to spend so it's functionally an ordinary staff. Except when the book forces us to spend WP, then it still works fine. The rules don't always make a lot of sense.

oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that provision.

Anyway, we don't have the juice for a fight so let's continue to run away from the giant flying poison frogs that outnumber us and are also at minimum sentient enough to use stone tools

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Mister Perky posted:

the giant flying poison frogs that outnumber us and are also at minimum sentient enough to use stone tools

“You may think you’re smart Mr. Wizard, but your brains are no match for this large rock.”

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mister Perky posted:

let's continue to run away from the giant flying poison frogs that outnumber us and are also at minimum sentient enough to use stone tools

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Mister Perky posted:

Anyway, we don't have the juice for a fight so let's continue to run away from the giant flying poison frogs that outnumber us and are also at minimum sentient enough to use stone tools

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Keep Running!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You decide to make another dash for it, and, turning in the direction of the Wall of Azakawa, you break into a run, Shan lagging at your heels.

Dodging around the limestone pillars, you enter a sloping defile. It is very steep and requires considerable effort, reducing your climb to a crawl.

Finally, you reach the top and pause for breath. The narrow pass opens on to an open plain of sun-baked rock and cracked stones, broken only by sparse lines of gullies and ravines.

You turn and look back along the pass. Shan has fallen far behind, having covered less than half the distance up the slope. To your horror and amazement, you see a creature enter the far end of the defile. It is the wounded Quoku, its body caked with black blood. The creature refuses to die! It creeps along painfully, drawing inexorably nearer to Shan who seems unaware of the danger below.
Should we shout a warning to him or run back to help?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
”Shan, you’re about to get eaten!”

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Who do we think we are, Lone Wolf? Run back to help!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

It's a pity there is no option to take a stone and using it to target the batrachian...

nelson posted:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Why can't we do both? Just shout "look out!" and run back.

Or just run back I guess.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Urgently you call out to Shan. He looks down, and seeing the grotesque creature that is stalking him, he redoubles his efforts. With uncharacteristic speed he scrambles up the slope, dislodging clouds of dust and gravel with his scurrying feet. As he comes within reach he clutches at your outstretched hand, and you haul him over the edge.

Squinting in the dusky light, you see a webbed hand appear over the edge of the defile. Shan gives a groan of disbelief as the wounded Quoku heaves itself onto the ragged plain. Doggedly it moves towards you, dragging its tortured body, possessed of an inhuman vitality.

You haul Shan to his feet and point to the south. ‘Look,’ you say, ‘we have nearly reached Lake Shenwu; one last effort now.’ You pull Shan to his feet and stagger across the plain at a painfully slow pace. Relentlessly, the Quoku trails behind, slowly gaining on you.

With a cry of frustration, you see that your way ahead is blocked by a deep ravine that stretches nearly six feet across. The creature is not far behind you and you realize that there is not time enough to circle around the ravine. The Wall of Azakawa lies tantalizingly beyond reach.
Shall we attempt to jump across or stop and fight the quoku?

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
might as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYN7mTi6HM

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Running hasn't failed us yet! Jump for it!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Jump!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Go ahead and jump!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jump!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You take a few deep breaths and then run towards the ravine. You hurl yourself off the edge, high into space, and sail over the yawning chasm. With limbs flailing and hands reaching out desperately for the other side, you begin to descend.

We roll: 3.

With a painful jolt, you slam into the lip of the ravine and grab hold of a jutting rock with just one hand. Your grip is slipping. Frantically you search for a secure handhold.

Suddenly the jutting rock falls away, and you plunge into the gaping chasm to your death.

Death Count: 5.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guys, I hate to admit it but... maybe Van Halen was wrong? :ohdear:

Standing your ground, you wait as the Quoku draws near, bracing yourself against attack. It stops a few yards away, regarding you with a baleful expression.

Suddenly, and without warning, the Quoku opens its mouth and grabs at Shan with a long proboscis-like tongue that wraps tightly around his arms and chest. Shan screams with fear and revulsion as he is dragged towards the venomous mouth of the Quoku. You have seconds in which to act.

You leap into attack, causing the Quoku to release the unconscious Shan.
Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 5 ENDURANCE 5 WILLPOWER: -4
Wounded Quoku: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 18
Combat Ratio: -9

We roll: 4
Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 5 ENDURANCE 0 WILLPOWER: -4
Wounded Quoku: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 17

Death Count: 6.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 2, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

So we are actually hosed right now. And that's not likely to change going forward. We made some bad choices early on and basically we stand no chance of finishing the book without massively cheating. It's theoretically possible but it's almost a case of "make no wrong choices and roll all tens". There's some leeway on that, but not much. There are still unavoidable losses of Endurance in our future and situations where avoiding endurance loss relies on crazy luck. Oh, and there is no way to recover any Willpower or Endurance in the entire rest of the book (which we're probably still at least a week from finishing).

So I'm putting the decision of how to proceed to the group. Do you want to
  1. Go back to the start and try again, making some different decisions this time.
  2. Have me show you the correct path up to this point and carry on as though we'd made all the right decisions the first time.
  3. Blatantly cheat and just carry on with 0 EP.
  4. Something else? Any other suggestion you may have.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Blatantly cheat then summarize the correct path at the end. This book hasn't been very fun so far and going through it twice doesn't sound very appealing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Blatantly cheat, then once we're past this show us the choices that could've gotten us past this bullshit.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Reroll CS and show us the right choices up to this point.

I figure our biggest mistake was staying too close to the river. Or did we make a bigger one somewhere?

nelson fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 2, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Mikl posted:

Blatantly cheat, then once we're past this show us the choices that could've gotten us past this bullshit.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Mikl posted:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mikl posted:

Also, for the next book, can we up our CS to at least the median average? It seems like having almost the bare minimum possible is really loving us over.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
much as I want to reroll Combat Skill (and pick :ghost: Evocation :ghost: this time) I don't think starting over would make for an especially entertaining read for the rest of the folks following this thread

I'm gonna go with flagrant cheating, let us reroll new max CS WP and END and "restart" from from this last jump/fight scenario (or even the beginning of the Quoku section if people want). You can show us the Correct Path post-book along with the other "Things We Missed" bits.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Yeah, let’s just cheat and get a run down afterwards.

Poor Grey Star, we’ve been off the island for less than a week and we’ve run afoul of tons of things that want us dead.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

moosecow333 posted:

Yeah, let’s just cheat and get a run down afterwards.

Poor Grey Star, we’ve been off the island for less than a week and we’ve run afoul of tons of things that want us dead.

Let's do this.

It's become very clear to me why I didn't care for this series.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

Let's do this.

It's become very clear to me why I didn't care for this series.

the subsequent books are better balanced ("easier") than this one, but yeah Grey Star 1 is pretty brutal and I can't fault anyone who finds it off-puttingly so.

That being said, CS 11 does us no favors and I don't think I've ever even bothered to attempt a LW or GS book with a score that low. Absolute re-roll territory, that.

Especially given how combat steadily eats your Willpower, strong stat rolls are just about essential for Grey Star #1.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Tiggum posted:

So we are actually hosed right now. And that's not likely to change going forward. We made some bad choices early on and basically we stand no chance of finishing the book without massively cheating. It's theoretically possible but it's almost a case of "make no wrong choices and roll all tens". There's some leeway on that, but not much. There are still unavoidable losses of Endurance in our future and situations where avoiding endurance loss relies on crazy luck. Oh, and there is no way to recover any Willpower or Endurance in the entire rest of the book (which we're probably still at least a week from finishing).

So I'm putting the decision of how to proceed to the group. Do you want to
  1. Go back to the start and try again, making some different decisions this time.
  2. Have me show you the correct path up to this point and carry on as though we'd made all the right decisions the first time.
  3. Blatantly cheat and just carry on with 0 EP.
  4. Something else? Any other suggestion you may have.

personally I'd go for 2, but in the economy of the thread it doesn't seem a good choiche. So: Restart.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'd say cheat to keep the story going, but maybe mention the 'proper' choices. At least some of that felt awfully railroaded, like when we said "let's be sneaky" and the book said, "Ok you were sneaky... but then decided for no reason to just start running because I guess you're probably about ten years old and can't be cautious to save your life".

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I would prefer a #1, but I don't think the slow pace of this thread could survive a #1, and #3 is like, why are you even bothering to LP the series at that point?

So let's do a #2 where you restart, reroll our stats and/or whatever skills we might need, and catch up to where we are so we can move onto the good stuff in the next books.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It's pretty clear that the majority decision is to carry on from this point with 0 EP and get a synopsis of the correct choices at the end, so that's what I'll go with. In which case, we won that fight.

With an almighty blow, you cleave the skull of the Quoku in two. It emits a chilling shriek and falls back, writhing and twitching for a few seconds before finally expiring. But it is a hollow victory, for the lifeless body falls onto Shan’s prone form.
Shall we move the body or abandon Shan to his fate?