Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah I don't know if Icke is using Reptiloid as code for Jew

Icke absolutely was, but he tried to paper it over later on. Specifically, he claimed that the Protocols of the Elders was legit, but that it was talking about reptoids, gosh, not Jewish people. Of course, the fact that he said a good number of prominent Jewish people are part of the reptoid conspiracy doesn't mean he's anti-Semitic, he only means the bad Jews, most Jews are good as per Icke, so he's not anti-semitic, and also he's named plenty of non-Jewish reptoids, checkmate, critics!

Of course, the real tragedy of Icke's garbage ideas is that he's boring. Like, you go into one of his books expecting a bit of a laugh at the guy and his dumb ideas and then get just boring meandering nonsense on the wisdom of ancient shamanism and new age drivel in like 8-point font for like 800 pages. It's one thing to be a crazy anti-Semite that exploits desperate and lost people for your own financial gain, but entirely another thing to be soul-crushingly dull crazy anti-Semite that exploits desperate and lost people for his own financial gain.

Dawgstar posted:

It feels like the Rifter stuff is 'whatever the writer thought was air quotes wacky' and then Kevin came along behind to play Lou to the writer's Bud. Yikes.

You may want to save some :yiikes:, we've got a ways to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Solar Sail makes a lot more sense from a thematic standpoint when you realize that it SHOULD be called "Hemingway".

Can we get a post of Morke and Holden's questions for freelancers? They're really remarkably bad.

(Also, Sail's better parts are much more Dread Pirate Rodgers and, like, 'being a sailor means being a Mythic Sailor, like Odysseus etc' with charms for having monstrous and demonic crews that sail under your letter of marque, sailing impossible hazards, and terrifying people with your Dread reputation. Very much 'I'm the Captain' charms, and a lot better than the actual Sailing subsystem).

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
FATAL AND FRIENDS:

Chapter 0: Introduction

I love Vampire: The Requiem. The original corebook was one of the first RPG books I ever owned, and despite having never got a chance to truly play it, I remain up to date with all of the releases it has. Which brings us to today’s subject: Half Damned. One of the more recent releases for nWoD Vampire (I know, Chronicles of Darkness but this is my personal little bit of groggery), Half Damned deals with those on the fringes of Vampire society: The Dhampir, The Revenants, and The Ghouls. (These are, in order: The offpring of a vampire and a human, not-full vampires that often form from corpses and humans fed vampire blood like the weirdest form of blood doping, giving them superpowers).

So, in a nice change of pace for a World of Darkness book, the moment we’re past the table of contents we aren’t plunged into a fiction segment, but a brief overview of the components of the book, as well as a discussion of the themes relevant to each. For Dhampir, it’s about family, which manifests either in “Ooooh let’s go all in on spooky vampire poo poo” or “gently caress YOU VAMPIRE DAD!” with a side helping of being an oracle. For the Revenants, it’s about pining about becoming a Real Vampire, being angry because you can’t control your emotions brought about by being a vampire, and trying to find a place in Vampire Society (so that you can become a real vampire). For ghouls, it’s about being an eternal servant, about being a blood addict, and about trying to climb that final rung to become a Real Vampire.

Next it talks about inspirational media and is mostly pretty boilerplate. It goes through the ones for each segment of the book, and is weird about its formatting: Some things are Bolded like this whereas others are “just put in quotation marks” with no real rhyme or reason that I can see.

See what I mean?

EDIT:

Mors Rattus posted:

That's actually a fairly standard style for citing works - bolded means it's a book, while quotes is a movie or TV show. Citation of the two differs, y'see.

As Mors pointed out here, it's actually a form of citation that I was unfamiliar with! Whoops!

Nothing particularly interesting in the inspirational materials list beyond recommending the Anita Blake books, which from what I’ve heard are not something anyone sensible should be reading, and the fact that it highlights a First Edition VtR book for Dhampir, but not the one for Ghouls. This book serves as somewhat of an update for both of them, and so it’s funny that only one is mentioned here.

As a final point, these are probably going to be coming out thick and fast, as I am currently unemployed and have very, very little better to do with my time, and this is an interesting book for a number of reasons. I wouldn’t be surprised if I get another segment out today, also because this segment is short as hell and there’s not that much to say about it.

Next time: “gently caress YOU VAMPIRE DAD” Part 1

Hattie Masters fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 2, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That's actually a fairly standard style for citing works - bolded means it's a book, while quotes is a movie or TV show. Citation of the two differs, y'see.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019
Ignore this post.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Joe Slowboat posted:

Can we get a post of Morke and Holden's questions for freelancers? They're really remarkably bad.

You can always get me to post this because it keeps getting funnier every single time I see it.

https://pastebin.com/eTQ8xF5X

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

Huh, I honestly didn't know that. Thanks for pointing that out!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glazius posted:

"But I have to be a Rog3\Clr2, my backstory is that I grew up as part of a street gang and then found religion!" is one of them there false affordances of multi-classing, and I'm sad to see it make its way into careers too.

The weirdest part of it is, if Goran actually had the same EXP as others then his dipping around wouldn't be that bad. The thing is, Militiaman is a meh 1st tier fighter because it's good at some non-fight stuff, can be entered from a bunch of non-fight careers, and goes into stuff like Artisan if you wanted to be a merchant/craftsman (and merchants are actually surprisingly useful with how buying and selling works) who also knows how to fight. It is normally really, really hard to build a 'bad' character in the 2e career system. That they managed to do it 3 times for the high power adventure is insanity. The worst part is how much of it comes from the designers here measuring from 'number of careers' rather than 'EXP total'. If everyone had 5500 EXP like Woldred I could build all of these PC concepts into really useful PCs.

For one, Therese would have spent the extra 1500 primarily on buying more spells and having an 'ad hoc' Lore of her own. If I was rebuilding Goran, I'd have him go Militiaman to Mercenary to Veteran and make him a solid warrior who knows some stuff from his old 'civilian' days. Johann I'd leave alone, because Outrider legit gives him some useful stuff (especially Entangling; Entangling weapons should never be underestimated). Ehrl is fine how he is if he just had Heal. I think he'd finish Scholar if he had Woldred's EXP and then he could go into Physician and become a real doctor in addition to all the useful lore stuff (someone on the team having 73 Int, Heal+10, and Surgery is a huge boon). Thorgek has an easy path through Tomb Robber (which is a fantastic career to start in for a Rogue anyway) to Fence to Master Thief; you can have him be a greedy guy who got kicked out from the mines even if he was never a Miner, so to speak. Woldred is fine how he is, I'd just remember Shallya's Mercy exists and embrace King Longbow. They all could be fine, if they just had equal EXP and weren't directly tied to '3 careers'.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You can always get me to post this because it keeps getting funnier every single time I see it.

Every single bit of that is completely ridiculous and amazing, yes. The funniest is probably either the goddamn English literature writing prompts or:

quote:

We are looking for writers who can handle the pressures of research and writing under a deadline.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Are these essay questions normal for professional writing jobs? Because it seems very patronizing.

I know now that it's a fool's errand to expect Exalted to actually draw from mythology, but I'm struck by how uninterested in mythology the developers seem to be, in favour of "modern mythmaking" a la Star Wars or anything else that references Joseph Campbell.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halloween Jack posted:

Are these essay questions normal for professional writing jobs? Because it seems very patronizing.

I know now that it's a fool's errand to expect Exalted to actually draw from mythology, but I'm struck by how uninterested in mythology the developers seem to be, in favour of "modern mythmaking" a la Star Wars or anything else that references Joseph Campbell.

Mythology is well known for being defined by comic-book nerd style lists of 200 pages of discrete superpowers, after all. That's how you know how mythic Exalted is.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

At least they didn't insist people watch Ninja Scroll. Night's Master by Tanith Lee is completely unsurprising, though. I lost track of the number of times they responded to criticism with "have you seen Ninja Scroll/read Night's Master?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

No. Yes, it's amazingly patronizing.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wonder why Morke and people like Morke are so concerned with not making moral judgements of characters and insisting that morally repugnant characters must also be working for the greater good of mankind?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
The works referenced in that document are a good example of what I was thinking of when I criticized Storyteller fangames. Like, here's a respected but kinda weird example, and here's a movie everyone has seen, and here's a book I really liked in high school."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh this list was for ladies only, I believe.

Yeah, you read that right.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Nessus posted:

what

How did this clusterfuck go on so long before Onyx Path shut them down, again?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Nessus posted:

loving hell.

I remain painfully relieved that Minton and Vance wrote the DB and Realm books, and also all the future books. And significant chunks of the setting description in the Core.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

jakodee posted:

I wonder why Morke and people like Morke are so concerned with not making moral judgements of characters and insisting that morally repugnant characters must also be working for the greater good of mankind?

I mean I know the answer is his lovely personal behavior but this is also the standard issue case for hacks reaching for cheap drama because they mistake it for moral complexity.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Night10194 posted:

I mean I know the answer is his lovely personal behavior but this is also the standard issue case for hacks reaching for cheap drama because they mistake it for moral complexity.

Mistaking apologetics for lovely real life behavior for D E E P N A R R A T I V E is common to both scumbags and bad writers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

jakodee posted:

Mistaking apologetics for lovely real life behavior for D E E P N A R R A T I V E is common to both scumbags and bad writers.

One reason the former has found so much success hiding among the latter, I suppose.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Halloween Jack posted:

It reminds me of when System Mastery reviewed Macho Women With Guns. I think the standard for comedy, at least in tabletop, is gaming now. Years ago there didn't need to be any kind of theme or throughline, just "Hey, this is wacky!" Remember those mods for Doom and Wolfenstein where you could shoot Bill Clinton and Barney the Purple Dinosaur?

And I remember West End Game's Ghostbusters, excellent rule set, but they had no loving idea what made the movie funny.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

gourdcaptain posted:

what

How did this clusterfuck go on so long before Onyx Path shut them down, again?
I will be charitable that OPP probably was not aware Morke was doing the "only lady freelancers get this loving exam paper" thing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I should note, I have been hired by OPP for writing work. My application for that one was, like, 1000 words of writing sample displaying both setting/fluff work and mechanics work.

e: for a game line, even, that requires significantly more actual research than Exalted.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Nessus posted:

Ohhh, it's because Leigh Bracket wrote the screenplay for The Empire Strikes Back. I get it now.

See, if you asked me to list a set of inspirations for a Dying Earth style fantasy setting (for example), I'd of course cite Vance's Dying Earth, Smith's Zothique cycle, Wolfe's New Sun, The Night Land, Sign of the Labrys, maybe some Norton and Moorcock.

These sort of people would cite Vampire Hunter D, Nausicaa, Blame!, a couple random novels from the 70s, and something pre-1940 to sound smart.

Robindaybird posted:

And I remember West End Game's Ghostbusters, excellent rule set, but they had no loving idea what made the movie funny.
They repeated this mistake with Men in Black. All the deadpan was replaced with wackiness.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
I remember when the Exalted Questionnaire was first making its rounds, I was in the initial stages of joining an Exalted game that I would later mention in the RPG Stories thread (and not in a good way.) One of my first red flags was that most of the players didn't see why the questions were incredibly stupid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, as to why I have basically saved all the adventure books in Hams Fantasy for last: I don't run pre-written adventures, generally. Every time I've done it I've ended up rewriting so much that I might as well have not bothered. It's just not something I enjoy doing because I like writing my own adventures and plots.

The other reason is because the majority of Hams Fantasy adventures and campaign pre-writes aren't very good. Now, again, I'm not great at judging the quality of pre-written stuff because I generally don't use it, but even I can tell that stuff like Into The Drakwald is part of why people end up running 'Roll your 32% chance, but at -10, to continue plot'. Because that's the guidance in the core book premade. They also tend to have a noticeably different tone than the sourcebooks, and they're usually railroaded all to hell. Also tend to end with the PCs getting nothing for their trouble, which annoys me.

This one is a little more interesting because rather than a direct narrative like Ashes, it's a toolbox/subsetting. There's a situation (Karitamen the Death Scarab is trying to wake up, Chaos is trying to keep him down, 3 princes are warring over the land he used to rule) and a big mechanical dungeon to explore, but what the PCs actually do and which subplots get used or don't is mostly up the the group. There's a weird assumption that a 3rd tier party can't actually confront any of the Chaos threats in the adventure without a bunch of help, but hey, Chaos getting oversold is hardly new to this adventure.

The only really weird part is the actual 'endings' section, which is mostly about how whatever you decided to do during the campaign was the wrong choice and doomed the entire region no matter which decisions you make. If they'd left that out I'd be far more content with this book. They're kind of pointless as it is, since so much of the campaign is open, so to speak.

In general, I like this approach a lot more than the normal railroad of poor rewards and random betrayals that constitute a Hams Fantasy campaign book.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

"Take X careers" instead of using the actual EXP system makes me suspicious that this adventure path was just the author monetizing their homebrew campaign, house rules and all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also I just realized I left out 200 EXP on each character because I'm so used to not charging 100 EXP to promote (houserule) that I completely forgot that's in the normal rules. So just add 200 to each PC's total. The point still stands that they're wildly divergent.

I will, because I like messing with characters, be designing a version of the party built on the same foundations where everyone has Woldred's EXP to demonstrate how much of a difference it makes after the normal party confronts the Tomb.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gourdcaptain posted:

At least they didn't insist people watch Ninja Scroll. Night's Master by Tanith Lee is completely unsurprising, though. I lost track of the number of times they responded to criticism with "have you seen Ninja Scroll/read Night's Master?"

"Look it's not weird that we have weird sex stuff in, have you read Tanith Lee, everybody in her novels has a tendency to incredibly thirsty and the BDSM parallels are as thick as tar. Also Ninja Scroll is full of unwanted loving. What, you're saying that we don't have to include that sort of feel? Well, that's obviously not true, they're both in the original inspiration list for Exalted 1st Edition. So we have to. Our hands are tied. Well, yes, Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie is also on the reference list, but we're in charge and gently caress that noise."

look out panther the first and forsaken lion is back and he's in a truck

Nessus posted:

I don't think that was the case; or if it was the case, it was implicit whatever than explicit.

The original leak of the writer's guidelines came from a blog post (which I really wish I could find again) from a female writer who had been sent that application when inquiring about writing with them. She posted it publicly and argued - if I recall correctly - that the guidelines were essentially hostile to new writers, presuming access to and knowledge of material that had been out of print for awhile at the time, as opposed to the more easily available second edition materials. The guidelines, intentionally or otherwise, favored old writers on the line who were mostly old white dudes, and since minority and female writers were likely to be newer to the industry, it worked to help exclude them. (That's not to discount the very important work Jenna Moran and other female writers did on the line- just speaking generally.)

Now, there could be something I don't know, but it was more just an argument that the guidelines where an example of implicit biases. Of course, knowing what we know of Morke now, anything is possible, but I think the guidelines are bad enough without needing to draw further conclusions from them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

No. Yes, it's amazingly patronizing.

Wow. "Read Hemingway, do a book report." Yeah, no.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Look it's not weird that we have weird sex stuff in, have you read Tanith Lee, everybody in her novels has a tendency to incredibly thirsty and the BDSM parallels are as thick as tar. Also Ninja Scroll is full of unwanted loving. What, you're saying that we don't have to include that sort of feel? Well, that's obviously not true, they're both in the original inspiration list for Exalted 1st Edition. So we have to. Our hands are tied. Well, yes, Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie is also on the reference list, but we're in charge and gently caress that noise."

Exalted wishes it could have fights as good as Chun Li/Vega. :colbert:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Everything else aside, I particularly like the flat-out, no-questions-asked, no-exceptions "gently caress you" to anyone who cares about 2e. You don't think exclusively about our old, lovely first edition and openly despise the newer one? loving pleb, get out, how loving dare you

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
I support women authors, in particular the ones that cater to my fetishes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

megane posted:

Everything else aside, I particularly like the flat-out, no-questions-asked, no-exceptions "gently caress you" to anyone who cares about 2e. You don't think exclusively about our old, lovely first edition and openly despise the newer one? loving pleb, get out, how loving dare you

It's particularly funny because that's the edition they cut their teeth on. You weren't allowed to use Morke or Holden's writing as a reference when trying to write an application to write for Morke and Holden. That's a thing they decided.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Exalted 3rd Edition: Kung Fu Dinosaurs

Martial Arts functions unlike other abilities. No one has native Martial Arts Charms, and the fighting styles derive from actual, physical styles of martial arts. Even mortals can learn those, though there’s no mechanical point to them doing so, as they don’t get the Charms so all they’re doing is wasting their XP on a useless merit and a bunch of reskins of Brawl. Martial Arts Charms are unable to be combined with native Brawl Charms or any other native combat ability Charms unless they explicitly state otherwise. However, as long as martial arts styles share the same weapons and armor restrictions, they can be combined together. Every Martial Arts style is a single Charm tree, complete in itself. New Charms cannot be added to it, though the ST may allow lost Charms to be rediscovered with aid from ancient masters or grand quests for epic understanding of the style.

Every style is limited in terms of what weapons can be used with it. Most can be used unarmed, and maybe with a handful of other weapons. Others require specific weapons and can’t even be used unarmed. Martial Arts Charms cannot be used to enhance any attack not made with their style’s weapons, nor any parry not using them. Artifact weapons are always compatible with any style using their mundane equivalents, at least…but for maximum cross-compatibility, you’ll often end up unarmed, which gives you the widest access to combining styles for goofy combos, but also means you’re very limited in terms of weapon stats. Some styles do allow unarmed attacks to deal Lethal damage, however. (Most, in fact.) Many styles also prohibit the use of armor, either at all or over a certain weight. If you are wearing armor that is incompatible with a style, you can’t use any of that style’s Charms and lose any benefits from active or even permanent Charms of that style.

Martial Arts universally have at least one Form Charm, which represents the core of the style. You can only have a single Form active at any time, and activating a new Form ends the old one. However, if you do that, any motes committed to the old Form are transferred to the cost of the new one, so you only need to pay the difference in costs – and if the new form is cheaper, you end up uncommitting the extra motes and can transfer to the new form free. This does not, however, apply to anything that enhances or modifies a Form. Other notable Martial Arts keywords are Mastery and Terrestrial. Mastery means the Charm has greater effects in the hands of a Solar or Abyssal; Sidereals will, we are told, also have ways to access Mastery effects. Terrestrial means the Charm has lesser effects in the hands of Terrestrial Exalts. (The game actually specifically says Dragon-Bloods, because they forgot that Liminals and most Exigents are also Terrestrial.) However, Dragon-Bloods have methods of bypassing this restriction via use of the Immaculate Martial Arts styles. The reason for these two keywords is simple: to make Martial Arts competitive for all Exalts without being underpowered for Solars or overpowered for Terrestrials.

Snake Style is a fast, agile martial art that focuses on precision pressure point strikes over brute force, even channeling poisonous Essence through the fingertips. It is popular in the South and East, in emulation of the native serpents, and the style (like many animal-based styles) is ancient, dating back all the way to the First Age. Its strikes favor two-finger jabs to resemble fangs, but it can also be used with seven-section staves and hook swords. Any unarmed attack enhanced by Snake Charms can always be stunted to deal Lethal. Snake is compatible with light armor.

Snake Style combines cheap defense (which in Solar Hands get cheaper and more efficient the more you need to use them) with a cheap damage-booster against folks slower than you, plus quick access to Snake Form, which penalizes enemy attacks and increases your Soak, plus you can auto-activate it when you hit slower people with Withering Attacks. Above the Form, the style allows you to ignore foes’ armor, give out a number of different pressure-point-based debuffs, increased damage, the ability to stretch your attacks out to Short or even Medium Range and drag people to you, make reflexive but weakened clashes, reduce Decisive damage at the cost of Initiative, and at its pinnacle, poison foes. There are 10 Charms in Snake Style, ranging from Essence 1 to 3.

Tiger Style favors strong, quick attacks that pounce and leap, chasing the foe around and wearing them down. Once they’ve closed in, practitioners cripple the limbs and go for the kill. Tiger Style is often seen as arrogant, impatient or cruel, as are its martial artists. The style uses unarmed claw strikes and raking attacks as well as tiger claws (read: big metal claws). An unarmed attack enhanced by Tiger Charms can always be stunted to deal Lethal. Tiger is compatible with light armor. Tiger Style is noted to often rely on Athletics to chase foes down and Stealth to ambush them.

Before the Form, Tiger Style lets you steal Initiative via rushes, or turn extra damage dice directly into post-soak damage dice (expensively, but it’s very potent as an effect) or even just straight up damage, if the foe tried to run. Tiger Form makes you deal more damage when you hit, removes all penalties from fighting while prone and gives bonuses to rushes and to preventing foes from disengaging. You can auto-activate it when you hit with a Decisive Attack that deals enough damage. Above the form, you increase your defenses based on your Strength and get an emergency damage reducer, grapple better, do extra damage when savaging in a grapple, easily knock people over and penalize people for standing up from prone, cripple people at the cost of decisive damage, keep people out to Medium range from retreating, and get a bunch of dice tricks when attacking people, especially from surprise or against retreating foes. The ultimate ability lets you deal extra damage in the Form and get a free Defining tie of hatred towards your foes, plus a free reflexive Rush per turn, but while in this frenzy you can’t withdraw or disengage. There are 11 Charms in Tiger Style, ranging from Essence 1 to 3.

Single Point Shining Into the Void Style is a sword style focused on intense speed and perfect finishers. It’s…it’s iaijutsu. You draw your blade and strike or parry in the same move, then sheathe it again, the foe having ideally been slain already. Against foes of equal skill, it instead relies on meditative focus and quick attacks, looking for the moment of weakness in the enemy that will allow for the deadly finish. The style can be used only with slashing swords (and, obviously, their artifact equivalents). No unarmed combat here. It is compatible with light or medium armor.

The style starts out pre-Form with reversing onslaught penalties on attackers instead and doing extra damage on Decisive attacks at the cost of greater Initiative loss on misses. Single Point Shining Into the Void Form gives your sword a separate Initiative track, representing your speed and ability to attack twice per round, but the only thing your sword can “do” on its turn is attack. Your sword’s Initiative gets tracked separately from yours for all purposes, and attackers choose whether to damage your Initiative or the sword’s when attacking you. If your sword Crashes, the Form ends. Above the Form, the style gives you even more extra damage with a few stacking damage tricks, zwee fighting dash attacks, reflexive clashing that, while the Form is up, can also be used to make dangerous counters, using clash attacks to counter magic that’d warp the mind or body (including using your sword to parry Wyld mutation) and, at its cap, making a sword pressure wave to make a terrifying unblockable and undodgeable attack while the Form is up. there are 9 Charms in Single Point Shining into the Void Style, ranging from Essence 1 to 3.

Next time: White Reaper, Ebon Shadow, Crane and Silver-Voiced Nightingale Styles

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 2, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nessus posted:

I will be charitable that OPP probably was not aware Morke was doing the "only lady freelancers get this loving exam paper" thing.

Okay so wait wait wait are you telling me that he made female freelancers write a loving essay while male writers just, what, had to provide a sample of their writing or something? Really? That is some loving cartoon villainy bullshit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

ninja scroll sucked even when it was current

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay so wait wait wait are you telling me that he made female freelancers write a loving essay while male writers just, what, had to provide a sample of their writing or something? Really? That is some loving cartoon villainy bullshit.

What happened was that someone noticed Exalted had a lot of white dudes writing for it and that application was put out as part of an initiative to hire a more diverse writing staff. It was not women-exclusive, but...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Zereth posted:

ninja scroll sucked even when it was current
All those circa 1990 demon ninja titty animes are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Halloween Jack posted:

All those circa 1990 demon ninja titty animes are bad.

Oh yeah, Ninja Scroll only noticeable because it's the best of it's lot that got brought to the west. The late 80s/early 90s anime scene in America was pretty bad and full of a lot garbage - there were of course gems, but mostly trash that was cheap to license.