Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Your Computer posted:

I want to do a "deflect everything" run with no tools and no skills but that means no Mikiri Counter and no Mikiri Counter is no way to live

it has 'counter' right in the name, surely I can make an exception for it right?

You can cheese boss with appropriate prosthetic tools but without them you are forced to duel honourably.

I think its fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm pretty sure the Mikiri Counter is an expected part of your kit to be honest, in a way that the combat arts and prosthetic tools kind of aren't.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Lord_Magmar posted:

What Walther said, there's a save idol with no enemies between you and that boss, although you do have to clear out a miniboss for it.
I read up on it and I can't believe I missed something so obvious... Worst thing is, I got that idol and I beat the miniboss, I just went downstairs and through the wall every single time...

Now to hit my head against a different wall!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CordlessPen posted:

I read up on it and I can't believe I missed something so obvious... Worst thing is, I got that idol and I beat the miniboss, I just went downstairs and through the wall every single time...

Now to hit my head against a different wall!

good luck! i think you'll figure it out much faster now haha. he's a bitch but you'll get him

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a way to kick sand in enemies faces like they do to you? I hate having dirt on my oil charred face.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah, and I plan to continue on with NG+, so I need the training.

Also, I just found the Mist Raven prosthetic and I'm currently trying to tackle Owl FBoy. I wonder if that would've come in handy during all those fights...

I'm sure it can! I think I got past that guy mostly with the foundation, the shuriken>slash follow up, ashina style passives and a bit of senpou martial arts.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ulio posted:

Is there a way to kick sand in enemies faces like they do to you? I hate having dirt on my oil charred face.

Fistful of Ash is one of the most common items in the game, you throw it in their eyes

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

DatonKallandor posted:

She's from the Fountainhead Palace, which I think is supposed to be pretty mystical and not just a normal place?

I also really love how we get the backstory of the ruling family slowly revealed over the course of the game through memory descriptions and just boozing people up. There's probably enough meat there for a prequel DLC at least - Lord Takeru and Tomoe fighting to get rid of his Dragons Blood and failing because they're missing the Mortal Blade. With Dogen, full-shinobi Sculptor, Kingfisher and young Owl hanging around.

There's also the mystery of whoever the True Sculptor is, which I don't think the game ever addresses

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Cowcaster posted:

i mentioned it last night but just to reiterate the ministry shinobi act like they only have one arm but they're just hiding the other under their cloaks for whatever reason (probably to look cool).

They start using the other hand after the Ashina castle takeover and they use it to inflict poison with punches. Which isn't a realistic thing, but the idea was explored in the last season of Baki

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

What are the odds we get a time warp dlc not unlike ds1. Actually that's how quite a few of their dlc work don't they? They really like bringing in the legends after only talking about/referring them in the main content.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You know, I only recently got a pretty cool little eavesdrop conversation between Sculptor and Emma his "shinobi name" was Orangutan, and as Owl (Father) shows those names aren't really just for show at times, which makes the physical appearance of the Demon of Hatred even more obvious about who it is. The Demon of Hatred is a giant Orange Furred monster, like a demonic Orangutan

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
So Seven Spears is basically a Mikiri counter tutorial, right? I get the easy deathblow on him, but I'm not doing poo poo on his second health bar. I lit him on fire and that did like 5%.

I'm sitting on 5 skill points, so I guess I should get that Mikiri bonus posture damage skill?

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 2, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm pretty sure the Mikiri Counter is an expected part of your kit to be honest, in a way that the combat arts and prosthetic tools kind of aren't.

It feels like there is a lot of stuff in the skill trees that should have been part of your default kit but aren't because reasons.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

shut up blegum posted:

Oh OK. Jump and just mash R1? Or do I have to lock on first?
Speaking of locking on, is it necessary for most enemies? Iirc in bloodborne it helped with some enemies, but it made it harder to defeat other enemies.

if you played bloodborne, you are going to have to forget the concept of using iframes to dodge through attacks and rely instead on blocking, parrying, and straight up running like a coward. there are iframes, and yes there are attacks where the BB "dodge right/left and hit bad guy in the back" works but it is not your bread and butter.

jump kill the dude to start, and then stand your ground, and attack him and block/parry his attacks until you're posture is dangerous, and then get away. once his vitality is lower, like 1/2 a bar, his posture will regen much slower and he'll start doing that move where he tries to regain it, which leaves him wide open to attacks.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

So Seven Spears is basically a Mikiri counter tutorial, right? I get the easy deathblow on him, but I'm not doing poo poo on his second health bar. I lit him on fire and that did like 5%.

Correct, though I killed him by using oil, then lighting him on fire and running like a coward, and repeated until he was at like 50% and then killed him using ash

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Look Sir Droids posted:

attack him until orange flash, he'll usually do a melee string or a thrust perilous attack in response off the orange flash -> deflect or mikiri, this will send him careening off to the side in a unique stagger animation -> do posture damage and kill.

i still to this day never see people talk about the "orange flash" that occurs when you attack enemies, it's a straight indicator of when the enemy is about to do a counter attack, and 99% of the time when you properly counter their orange flash followup you will be able to do a substantial amount of posture damage. this is the key to the ENTIRE combat system and it's really bizarre to me that it isn't talked about

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Seven Spears is basically the second Mikiri Tutorial, the first is the Shinobi Hunter in Hirata Estate. Shinobi Hunter helps you learn how to Mikiri Spears, Seven Spears helps you learn that sometimes you need to do a bit more than just Mikiri Counter, as he will always do a big follow up swing after you Mikiri which you can deflect to send him reeling past you. Oh I try and mention the Orange Flash, I just haven't had enough time to test every enemy. It's literally you being parried by your enemy to open you up basically.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Can someone spoil me on which NPCs have quests? I basically want to know when I should be curing my dragonrot and when I should just let it ride.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

boogiepop posted:

attack him until orange flash, he'll usually do a melee string or a thrust perilous attack in response off the orange flash -> deflect or mikiri, this will send him careening off to the side in a unique stagger animation -> do posture damage and kill.

i still to this day never see people talk about the "orange flash" that occurs when you attack enemies, it's a straight indicator of when the enemy is about to do a counter attack, and 99% of the time when you properly counter their orange flash followup you will be able to do a substantial amount of posture damage. this is the key to the ENTIRE combat system and it's really bizarre to me that it isn't talked about

We talk about it all the time in this thread when giving new people advice

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Regy Rusty posted:

We talk about it all the time in this thread when giving new people advice

thread moves pretty fast so i must have missed it, sorry!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

boogiepop posted:

Cool. I did not know that. Or I've just been getting by too much on cheese and wailing on dudes instead of worrying about posture.

Can you only Mikiri perilous attacks, or any thrusting attack?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

don't read, just post

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

We usually don't use the actual term orange flash though. I basically always talk about it as them parrying/countering you because that's what it is from a combat perspective, although maybe mentioning the orange parry visual would help.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Is DLC confirmed? Or are we just predicting it because every Souls one has had a few?

Also, without being spoilerly, which ending do I want to maximize how many bosses I'll fight? You know, since that is the point.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm sitting on 5 skill points, so I guess I should get that Mikiri bonus posture damage skill?

That does help! But for that fight the plain version is p good already! After a mikiri there's a good chance he'll do a second attack that you can deflect. That will cause a special stumble you can capitalise on.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I dont think counterattacking orange flash counters deals more posture dmg than usual but it is very important in understanding the flow of combat, because you want to force the enemy to stay defensive as much as possible.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dazerbeams posted:

Can someone spoil me on which NPCs have quests? I basically want to know when I should be curing my dragonrot and when I should just let it ride.

most of them short of the memorial mob have some kind of questline. once you are comfortable with the game, just let dragonrot fester until you have killed the current target boss that is murdering you. dragonrot is weird and i did not have it re-infect an NPC until much later in the game, instead i had basically everyone in one area get sick, then i'd cure them, everyone in the new spot got sick and then cured, etc. There are 17 of the items to cure it and i used maybe 4 in my entire game. The only ending critical one i think is Kotoro,

^burtle posted:

Is DLC confirmed? Or are we just predicting it because every Souls one has had a few?

Also, without being spoilerly, which ending do I want to maximize how many bosses I'll fight? You know, since that is the point.

Beyond "explore", the only way to guarantee this is to tell you a spoiler, but i'll be vague enough that its not revealing too much Codes are up for interpretation

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 2, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Cool. I did not know that. Or I've just been getting by too much on cheese and wailing on dudes instead of worrying about posture.

you can only mikiri thrust attacks, however thrust attacks can also be deflected (not guarded against, but perfect timing deflected). mikiri-ing is both more damaging to posture and easier to do against thrusts, though.

sweeps cannot be mikiried or deflected, however if you jump it and hit the enemy with the jump kick you do if you hit jump again while you're in air, while they're sweeping, you'll get a bigger than normal "boosh" dust cloud and do a large chunk of posture damage (think of it as a mikiri counter but for sweeps)

grabs can't be countered in any way, you need to get away from them (sometimes jumping can work but you can't counter kick like a sweep).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Look Sir Droids posted:

All thrusting attacks are perilous, but the Mikiri Counter is specific to perilous thrusts and will not do anything for sweeps or grabs. Watch your opponent, thrusts will involve their weapon blade flashing, yours does too when you hold attack to thrust, and generally speaking will be pointed towards you or held behind them for the actual thrusting motion. Sweeps will usually involve them going low and holding a weapon to the side, certain large enemies do sweeps that are really awkward to spot because they're huge and thus low is relative. Grabs are the last and generally hardest to spot but also tend to be slowest, grabs are usually animated with the non-weapon hand, or basically any motion that isn't leaning back for thrusts or going low for sweeps, the weapon will often be clearly ignored.

^burtle posted:

I'm just speculating because the last 4 From games had them and this game has a few clear markings for what the DLC could be.

Ending discussion in spoilers but vaguely defined If you want the most bosses you'll have to do some snooping on your friends, but obeying leads to two unique bosses for an early end if you're interested.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 2, 2019

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
some "grabs" can be parried e.g. the snake eyes hook one. just L1 when the hook is about to pass through you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's also a high risk/reward ratio but sometimes you can just break someone out of a perilous attack by whacking them in the face

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

it's also a high risk/reward ratio but sometimes you can just break someone out of a perilous attack by whacking them in the face

Namely I think purple ninjas always get staggered if they try to low sweep you.

This is very abusable because the low sweep always comes after their leaping downwards axe kick.

I think it would be possible to chart all perilous attacks that can be cancelled

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

And sometimes figuring out what perilous attack you're dealing with is easier by process of elimination. Are you not getting grabbed? Is it not a sweep that you can clear with a jump(plus optional kick)? Then only one thing remains, no matter how weird it may look.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

All thrusting attacks are perilous, but the Mikiri Counter is specific to perilous thrusts and will not do anything for sweeps or grabs. Watch your opponent, thrusts will involve their weapon blade flashing, yours does too when you hold attack to thrust, and generally speaking will be pointed towards you or held behind them for the actual thrusting motion. Sweeps will usually involve them going low and holding a weapon to the side, certain large enemies do sweeps that are really awkward to spot because they're huge and thus low is relative. Grabs are the last and generally hardest to spot but also tend to be slowest, grabs are usually animated with the non-weapon hand, or basically any motion that isn't leaning back for thrusts or going low for sweeps, the weapon will often be clearly ignored.

Cool. Very helpful. Yeah, I've been lazy learning enemy tells and relying on jumping and dodging around like a jackass too much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cowcaster posted:

Fistfuls of ash would also work, I think. They work on minibosses, at any rate.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
half of my posts in this thread have been about that orange flash

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

Namely I think purple ninjas always get staggered if they try to low sweep you.

This is very abusable because the low sweep always comes after their leaping downwards axe kick.

I think it would be possible to chart all perilous attacks that can be cancelled

I would suggest it's based on how armored an enemy is, I've found generally speaking that size+armor=hard to interrupt. The Purple Shinobi are very lighty armored and human sized, so you can interrupt a lot of their poo poo if you hit them mid-animation.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Cool. Very helpful. Yeah, I've been lazy learning enemy tells and relying on jumping and dodging around like a jackass too much.

The important bit is that sweeps literally cannot hit you if you're mid-air, no matter how big they are. Similarly if you have Mikiri counter and are mid dash when a lunge hits you from the front you will auto-mikiri basically. Some Grab Animations are also started by a sweep or a thrust, so they're really a "grab bag" of animations and mostly need to be learnt on a case by case basis. A big clue though is unarmed hands are almost always used for grabs, and enemies with no weapons will only ever grab as far as I know.

The Purple Shinobi are actually a really good example of how even non-weapons can look right for sweeps/thrusts, because they do both and it's pretty obvious when they're going low to sweep kick your weak shins or pulling back to lunging thrust kick your rear end all the way to downtown.

Other small tips, enemies rarely have more than 2 Perilous Attacks, which means you can pretty quickly learn them by just observing a fight long enough. The few who have all 3 also tend to be actual bosses, and with more obvious animations for 1v1 responses. Spear users almost never have actual grabs, even if they have thrusts that become grabs. Also whilst not perilous any time an enemy takes an aiming stance you can jump on their gun for huge posture damage.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 2, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And when he says "literally cannot hit you", he means it, you can still be inside the sweep attack itself for some of the bigger bosses and not take damage as long as you're jumping. There's one boss whose sweep attack is physically too high for you to jump over, but you can just hop right through it because it won't hurt you if you're in the air. Sweeps seem to only damage you if you are on the ground.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

many bosses and minibosses also have patterns you can see to predict when perilous attacks show up, so you do not so much have to always be perfect on reading them as some are just legit hard to do so with, but also always do X move after Y one, so its like "block the attack i know causes a thrust, wait 1 second and do the mikiri counter" so between learning to read them, and then learning the boss itself, you'll get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CJacobs posted:

And when he says "literally cannot hit you", he means it, you can still be inside the sweep attack itself for some of the bigger bosses and not take damage as long as you're jumping. There's one boss whose sweep attack is physically too high for you to jump over, but you can just hop right through it because it won't hurt you if you're in the air. Sweeps seem to only damage you if you are on the ground.

I'm actually kind of mad that I never managed to land the hop on that boss, just for the mental image involved. (I'm pretty sure you can't though.)

Oh also there is technically a fourth kind of Perilous attack but the response to them is something the game tries to teach through lore and I don't really want to spoil the fun.