Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

meat CRime posted:

Haha in this Sky Sports UK fight (Price vs Ali) Ali was just disqualified for tackling and biting Price.

Dude must have been starving

https://twitter.com/DAZN_USA/status/1112097915374321665

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How are there tooth marks on both sides?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god

On ESPN Ngumbu just twisted his ankle or something and the ref gave him time, then he just gave up

What a loving joke

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TBF, I'd give up too if my opponent was putting people into comas

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Pacquiao and Thurman are in “advanced talks” for a fight on July 13th. Fingers crossed.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

love that fight

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I guess I do too now that Keith looked pretty bad. Hopefully this means the defacto pbc welterweight final four is happening and then Spence-Porter is announced soon.

In less confirmed news

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1112647773269254144?s=19

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Klitschko took the money they had for Wilder lmao

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I’m waiting until April 2nd to believe that Klitschko is actually coming back.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I keep seeing people say that, but there's been reports about a DAZN offer to Wlad for a few weeks so it seems very plausible to me

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah I heard the same rumors last week.

I really have no interest in seeing Wlad again but from Joshua's perspective he's the best option available if you can't get Wilder or Fury. He still beats 95% of the division and when he lost to Joshua the first time it seemed to me there was at least some public interest in a rematch.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Back to Pacquiao/Thurman, I'd be shocked if Thurman doesn't find a way to win that fight fairly comfortably. Pacquiao is 40 year old part time fighter and hasn't had elite power for years now. He didn't exactly look formidable against B level guys Adrien Broner and Jeff Horn. Thurman looked a bit sketchy in his first fight back, but it was his first fight back, and other than getting caught and hurt the one time, he was mostly in control of that fight. Worst case, Thurman nips a close SD in a true 50/50 fight. More likely: he wins 7-9 rounds clearly. Pacquiao is still a top fighter, but he's not a pound for pound level talent anymore, and Thurman pre-injury was, plus hes a full decade younger than Pacquiao. Just hard to see Pacquiao winning that fight unless Thurman is well and truly shot.

Definitely an intriguing matchup and a can't miss fight if it happens though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The klitschko thing was revealed to be a joke, with the massive caveat that he is actually considering the deal outlined before. It's very possible it will just happen in the next few days anyway.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
All of these comebacks and fights are simply footnotes to the epic clash that will be Paulie-Artem Lobov. I'm in love with the banter already

https://twitter.com/BoxingInsider/status/1113141358515171330?s=19

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Artem kinda got laughed out of MMA and the last time someone went after the guy who’s said his greatest achievement is being Conor McGregors friend Conor attacked a bus in NYC so cant wait to see how this plays out lmao

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

SquirrelGrip posted:

Artem kinda got laughed out of MMA and the last time someone went after the guy who’s said his greatest achievement is being Conor McGregors friend Conor attacked a bus in NYC so cant wait to see how this plays out lmao

Much as they say the fastest way to a woman's heart is through her stomach; Paulie has no doubt learned from Khabib that the fastest way to a fight with Conor McGregor is to slap Artem Lobov.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
conor's just posting pics of his and paulie's sparring session from the floyd fight

because theres nothing more badass than showing how much you punched a dude you paid to fly in so you could punch him, and also the dude didnt even bother taking off his hoodie

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1114226929694052352?s=19

Damnit. I was looking forward to seeing Usyk in person

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Usyk beats everyone outside the big 3.

Gassiev is also supposedly going to heavyweight with a fight planned for June.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Out of nowhere, Gilberto Ramirez and Callum Smith are "in talks" to fight this year. Would be the two top super middleweights in the division in a unification bout; both are undefeated to boot. The winner would be the undisputed champ at 168, but still would need to move up to 175 for any major fights.

Suspicious because it's Arum and Hearn involved but I guess we'll see.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

In perhaps even more surprising Arum related news Yarde and Kovalev have allegedly come to an agreement and will fight in Russia.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Very hard to see Yarde taking such a massive step up, AND going to Russia to do it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Anyone have thoughts on THE BIGGEST FIGHT IN WOMEN'S HISTORY Claressa Shields-Christina Hammer? Seeing a lot writers strain to make Ronda Rousey/Gina Carano comparisons.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'll be honest I know extremely little about womens boxing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Anyone have thoughts on THE BIGGEST FIGHT IN WOMEN'S HISTORY Claressa Shields-Christina Hammer? Seeing a lot writers strain to make Ronda Rousey/Gina Carano comparisons.

Yeah

Claressa Shields is one of my favourite fighters right now but she has her hands full with this one. Shields is an all american tough kid from Flint etc and Hammer is this cold European machine etc. They're both good fighters, the only ones of note around this weight division.

Hammer has reach and height on Shields, although Shields appears to be naturally a bit big with width and weight. Shields is an action fighter of sorts, a swarmer who throws a lot of punches when she gets the chance. Unfortunately for her, she has no power and has only gotten TKOs against defenseless opponents the ref takes pity on. Hammer is a more traditional boxer with a rigid jab and good fundamentals. She has some power to back it up too, nothing crazy, but certainly enough to keep Shields honest. Both of them have chins that can be cracked, Shields was dropped by the smaller Hannah Gabriels, it was a flash knockdown she took no time to recover from, but the weakness is there. Hammer was dropped very hard in a strange fight with Anne Sophie Mathis some time back. You judge that one for yourself, but it's worth noting that Mathis does have very good power, so I doubt Shields finds the same weakness.

I think the style matchup here might favour Hammer, but I personally expect Shields to win. Should be interesting though.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Very hard to see Yarde taking such a massive step up, AND going to Russia to do it.

seems pretty incredulous, i agree

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah

Claressa Shields is one of my favourite fighters right now but she has her hands full with this one. Shields is an all american tough kid from Flint etc and Hammer is this cold European machine etc. They're both good fighters, the only ones of note around this weight division.

Hammer has reach and height on Shields, although Shields appears to be naturally a bit big with width and weight. Shields is an action fighter of sorts, a swarmer who throws a lot of punches when she gets the chance. Unfortunately for her, she has no power and has only gotten TKOs against defenseless opponents the ref takes pity on. Hammer is a more traditional boxer with a rigid jab and good fundamentals. She has some power to back it up too, nothing crazy, but certainly enough to keep Shields honest. Both of them have chins that can be cracked, Shields was dropped by the smaller Hannah Gabriels, it was a flash knockdown she took no time to recover from, but the weakness is there. Hammer was dropped very hard in a strange fight with Anne Sophie Mathis some time back. You judge that one for yourself, but it's worth noting that Mathis does have very good power, so I doubt Shields finds the same weakness.

I think the style matchup here might favour Hammer, but I personally expect Shields to win. Should be interesting though.

seems pretty incredulous, i agree

you're making hammer at +245 sound like a great bet.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Marching Powder posted:

Yeah what I hear from those who I would say know boxing (and I include our esteemed friend MMM Whatcha Say in that list) is that this while this is close to a pickem on the boxing merits, it is being promoted as the vehicle that launches Shields into a crossover star. So Hammer will have to stop or completely wash Shields to get the win

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The SituAsian posted:

Yeah what I hear from those who I would say know boxing (and I include our esteemed friend MMM Whatcha Say in that list) is that this while this is close to a pickem on the boxing merits, it is being promoted as the vehicle that launches Shields into a crossover star. So Hammer will have to stop or completely wash Shields to get the win

oh, i forgot about boxing. my b. strong bet on shields by points and in case hammer wipes the floor with her i'll hedge with a draw

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

Not bad, some people are saying Hammer will win this fight. Personally I'm a big fan of Shields and you don't win 2 gold medals by age 21 without fighting a few good fighters so I don't think she's at that much of an experience deficit.

The hard part about women's boxing is that the talent pool being what it is, fighters don't really get tested outside of these occasional significant fights so it's very hard to measure where these fighters are against each other.

It's very arguable that Hammer has enjoyed the career of being a protected regional fighter in Germany, dominating a shallow division and making smaller fighter move up in weight to fight her on home territory. She's a solid fighter, but she's definitely never fought somebody of Shields's pedigree or size. If you're betting, I'd be very careful.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Just a reminder for but dont forget Loma-Crolla is tonight on ESPN+ and ot linear espn. Card begins at 11 est so get ready for a long one.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 12, 2019

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Anyone think Crolla makes it past the sixth round? Lomachenko's gotta slow down at some point.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

Anyone think Crolla makes it past the sixth round? Lomachenko's gotta slow down at some point.

Crolla is limited but tough so I suspect basically a replay of the Jason Sosa fight and that Loma will get an accumulation stoppage around the 8th or 9th round

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

my prediction is that loma will have trouble with Crolla's size, I base this prediction on it being the most exciting version of events to watch

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Also I'm operating on the assumption that hes fully comfortable with his shoulder because I still think it was giving him problems against Pedraza. If it's still holding him back a decision seems more likely.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Does crolla have any good fights worth watching?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I barely follow boxing. Are these guys good?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Does crolla have any good fights worth watching?

This one.

blue footed boobie posted:

I barely follow boxing. Are these guys good?

Lomachenko has a very credible argument as the best active boxer in the world right now. Crolla is a decent lightweight, mandatory challenger who is bigger, but otherwise pretty ordinary.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Lomachenko has a very credible argument as the best active boxer in the world right now. Crolla is a decent lightweight, mandatory challenger who is bigger, but otherwise pretty ordinary.

Cool thanks

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea you should’ve just called that bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Crolla may want to consider hitting Lomachenko.