Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

what if they just made the software not drive the plane into the ground if it detected a bad sensor reading??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

what if they just made the software not drive the plane into the ground if it detected a bad sensor reading??

Part of the problem is how the plane is built. The engines are way in the back which fucks with the balance. But putting the engines back there make it quieter and more fuel efficient, so airlines want those modifications. It also makes it stall easier, so they have software and sensors to prevent that. You just have to know how to use the software.

I'm not sure if the sensors actually put the plane in a dive. I think it makes you think it's going into a dive and pilots freak out. With the proper training you just go, 'huh, that's weird' and shut off the alarm. The thing is, the Ethiopian crash may have had nothing to do with the stall sensor. Last I heard witnesses said it was on fire as it fell out of the sky. For all we know they had explosive materials in the cargo like that AirTran crash in the 1990's.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I keep hearing the fix described as a software upgrade but also that they're installing/activating a second stall sensor that was previously being sold as DLC.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

I keep hearing the fix described as a software upgrade but also that they're installing/activating a second stall sensor that was previously being sold as DLC.

There were always two attitude / angle of attack sensors, but the system that detects a potential stall only used one of them unless you bought a safety 'package' of software upgrades.

And yes, the system pushes the nose of the plane down, in theory to level it out, but in practice if the sensor failed or otherwise produced bad data, the anti stall system would force the plane into a dive. Pilots could push the override, but unlike anti stall systems on previous 737's, the override on the MAX-8 timed out after 40 seconds and the anti-stall system could again force the plane into a dive. The procedure to actually disable the new system was new to the MAX-8, and was not especially brought to the attention of older 737 pilots when they being qualified on the new one.

Also, Boeing told the FAA that the system could only adjust the flight controls by .8 degrees, but in reality, the anti-stall system could make changes up to 2.5 degrees, a huge difference in how fast the plane would change pitch and a drastic shortening of the time pilots had to react.

This is almost entirely the result of ongoing funding cuts for regulation and enforcement, and any politician who just chants 'regulation is bad' should be fired into the sun.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

celewign posted:

I know Boeing isn't "circling the drain" but does anyone have insight as to what's going to happen to the company following the 737 max issues?

let me ask you a question: are there consequences for stuff?

there's your answer.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pick posted:

let me ask you a question: are there consequences for stuff?

there's your answer.

in this hell world? not for people on the executive level at boeing.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

EoRaptor posted:

There were always two attitude / angle of attack sensors, but the system that detects a potential stall only used one of them unless you bought a safety 'package' of software upgrades.

And yes, the system pushes the nose of the plane down, in theory to level it out, but in practice if the sensor failed or otherwise produced bad data, the anti stall system would force the plane into a dive. Pilots could push the override, but unlike anti stall systems on previous 737's, the override on the MAX-8 timed out after 40 seconds and the anti-stall system could again force the plane into a dive. The procedure to actually disable the new system was new to the MAX-8, and was not especially brought to the attention of older 737 pilots when they being qualified on the new one.

Also, Boeing told the FAA that the system could only adjust the flight controls by .8 degrees, but in reality, the anti-stall system could make changes up to 2.5 degrees, a huge difference in how fast the plane would change pitch and a drastic shortening of the time pilots had to react.

This is almost entirely the result of ongoing funding cuts for regulation and enforcement, and any politician who just chants 'regulation is bad' should be fired into the sun.

Thanks for the info.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Biplane posted:

in this hell world? not for people on the executive level at boeing.

yeah the answer was "nope"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Went to a Burger King today because they're doing the Detective Pikachu tie-ins, and the manager told me BK doesn't do toys in the kids meals, it's all cookies these days. I guess I should not have been surprised, McDonalds always has the toys on display, I haven't seen poo poo in BK in years (but I also rarely eat there).

Maybe this is why Burger King is almost always empty when I drive by but Mcdonalds always has a drive-thru hell.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I only ever go to a Burger King when I'm in the mood to be disappointed. I don't think their food as ever been good and all the bags and wrappers were very obviously paid by the guy that said "I can do it cheaper" to the guy who normally does it cheaper.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It’s kind of weird. I can go into a Wendy’s or Arby’s and get in and out in under 5 minutes but holy poo poo trying to zip into a McDonald’s or Chick-Fil-A.

The quality difference between a McDonald’s and a Wendy’s isn’t that much one way or the other. So it’s odd that there’s such a disparity in foot traffic.

Chick-Fil-A makes sense though because that peanut oil almost makes up for everything else. Almost...

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s kind of weird. I can go into a Wendy’s or Arby’s and get in and out in under 5 minutes but holy poo poo trying to zip into a McDonald’s or Chick-Fil-A.

The quality difference between a McDonald’s and a Wendy’s isn’t that much one way or the other. So it’s odd that there’s such a disparity in foot traffic.

Chick-Fil-A makes sense though because that peanut oil almost makes up for everything else. Almost...

As someone who hasn't had Chick-fil-A in close to ten years for ethical reasons, I still catch myself craving it. I have no idea why but Chick-fil-A is SO GOOD and I am SO ANGRY they hate the gays enough that I can't justify giving them my money. The second someone else starts using their recipe though, I am all over that poo poo.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Soysaucebeast posted:

As someone who hasn't had Chick-fil-A in close to ten years for ethical reasons, I still catch myself craving it. I have no idea why but Chick-fil-A is SO GOOD and I am SO ANGRY they hate the gays enough that I can't justify giving them my money. The second someone else starts using their recipe though, I am all over that poo poo.

The secret is they marinade the chicken in pickle brine, that's how it comes out so good.

Here's a knockoff recipe: http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=578

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Krispy Wafer posted:

For McDonalds I'm guessing it's a staffing issue these days. They always seem understaffed now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

iirc the guy who did that is dead, as is the organization he donated to

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Soysaucebeast posted:

You do you, but I think it's silly to deprive yourself of something you enjoy because of a hyperbolic interpretation of the views of the purveyors of said thing. Ben and Jerry's makes good ice cream, Chick-fil-a makes good chicken, I don't think either one discriminates in any meaningful fashion.

The idea that the personal (corporations are people, my friend) is political is a surefire way to poison your brain to the point where you think self-deprivation of good food is a meaningful act. Barring, perhaps, hunger strikes.

Honestly, it's kinda sad how companies now encourage this manichean dichotomy as a marketing strategy, and the people lap it up.

It has some basis in moral philosophy, but I don't think there's anything moral about companies exacerbating political polarization in service to the almighty dollar.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Maybe the same reason IPA s we're supposedly popular to begin with, they ship easy with little effort and are shelf stable? Just guessing here.

lol

GodDamnArtist
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

Nut to Butt posted:

You do you, but I think it's silly to deprive yourself of something you enjoy because of a hyperbolic interpretation of the views of the purveyors of said thing. Ben and Jerry's makes good ice cream, Chick-fil-a makes good chicken, I don't think either one discriminates in any meaningful fashion.

The idea that the personal (corporations are people, my friend) is political is a surefire way to poison your brain to the point where you think self-deprivation of good food is a meaningful act. Barring, perhaps, hunger strikes.

Honestly, it's kinda sad how companies now encourage this manichean dichotomy as a marketing strategy, and the people lap it up.

It has some basis in moral philosophy, but I don't think there's anything moral about companies exacerbating political polarization in service to the almighty dollar.

In my experience, I don't want to support a private company that tried to deny some of my family members the same right that I enjoy with my wife. It's perfectly fine and moral to stop giving money to a company that has views and morals that are in opposition to my own.

When they stop being dicks and just focus on making good food, then I will buy their sandwiches.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

How insufferably smug. I bet you don't even own a tv.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Nut to Butt posted:

Except that Chick Fil A the company is absolutely still shoveling money to anti LGBTQ groups:

quote:

The Chick-fil-A Foundation donated more than $1.8 million to three groups with a history of anti-LGBTQ discrimination in 2017, according to recently released tax filings analyzed by ThinkProgress. That year, Chick-fil-A’s charitable arm gave $1,653,416 to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, a religious organization that requires its employees to refrain from “homosexual acts”; $150,000 to the Salvation Army, which has been accused of anti-LGBTQ discrimination and advocacy for years and whose media relations director once claimed gay people “deserve death”; and $6,000 to the Paul Anderson Youth Home, a Christian residential home that teaches young boys that same-sex marriage is a “rage against Jesus Christ and His values.”
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/3/21/18275850/chick-fil-a-anti-lgbtq-donations

They're a lovely hateful company that works with evil causes, if you're fine with that because you just can't stop yourself from eating fast food chicken than whatever.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Nut to Butt posted:

I really don’t think that Chik Fil A’s homophobia is in any way a marketing strategy.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
All fast food is disgusting garbage that is bad for you. Whatever fast food you like, someone else hates it.

Who cares?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Chick-Fil-A always has a big drive thru line, but man did they figure out customer service , at least in my area. I’m always out in 5 minutes. I’ve seen them literally have 5+ people outside work the two lane car drive thru. It’s pretty impressive.

That being said, I don’t blame anyone for avoiding them due to moral reasons.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

kumba posted:

Motorworks' Pulp Friction Grapefruit IPA is loving delicious

This is cheating. Every IPA I've ever had tasted like grapefruit.

I haven't been able to find it for years, but Goose Island (before they sold out) used to make the best root beer. I don't even like root beer but theirs was great.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Chick-Fil-A always has a big drive thru line, but man did they figure out customer service , at least in my area. I’m always out in 5 minutes. I’ve seen them literally have 5+ people outside work the two lane car drive thru. It’s pretty impressive.

That being said, I don’t blame anyone for avoiding them due to moral reasons.

They've definitely got drive thru figured out. Two lanes, each with an employee who takes your order and payment and walkie talkie's it to the kitchen. I'm not sure how that's faster than just ordering from an intercom and paying at the window, but it is.

The moral issues are tricky. Chick-Fil-A is a blatantly Christian company and they donate to Christian causes. Except for a few exceptions, most religious organizations have a lovely record on homosexuality. About the only church that's good on LBGTQ are the Episcopalians and even they have internal conflict over the matter.

Not defending the company though. Business 101 is you don't alienate potential customers. Chick-Fil-A can serve God and chicken without creating controversy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Don’t give Chic-Fil-A your money please.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Don’t give Chic-Fil-A your money please.

Yeah. There's no ethical consumption under capitalism and all but not going to Chic-Fil-A is a no brainier. Especially with Raising Cane's being everywhere now.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Nut to Butt posted:

yikes

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Nut to Butt posted:

"It's okay to fund conversion therapy when the chicken is good."

Get bent.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rick posted:

For McDonalds I'm guessing it's a staffing issue these days. They always seem understaffed now.

They're all understaffed. The common conception of a fast food worker is a 16-18 year old, and most places seem to be moving away from hiring anyone under 18 at all. That leaves the day shift to people who need a day job, and there is much better money to be made elsewhere, or at least less lovely minimum wage. Every time I go to the Taco Bell near my work, there is no one under 60 working there.

It makes sense, why slave away at McD's for minimum wage when you can slave away in Amazon Hell for $2 more?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are a billion fast food places, so if you’re going to give your money to one just don’t make it to the one who funds violence against people

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Wow Chick-fil-a is circling the drain?

No?

Okay then carry on.

Its like most people dont even care about this dumb poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

They're all understaffed. The common conception of a fast food worker is a 16-18 year old, and most places seem to be moving away from hiring anyone under 18 at all. That leaves the day shift to people who need a day job, and there is much better money to be made elsewhere, or at least less lovely minimum wage. Every time I go to the Taco Bell near my work, there is no one under 60 working there.

It makes sense, why slave away at McD's for minimum wage when you can slave away in Amazon Hell for $2 more?

McDonalds is paying above minimum wage. At least around here, anyway

BigDave posted:

The secret is they marinade the chicken in pickle brine, that's how it comes out so good.

Here's a knockoff recipe: http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=578

I've made that (or a similar one)...the brining really works, they were great! On the down side, I had to go persecute my own homosexuals and that kinda sucked.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

tactlessbastard posted:

I've made that (or a similar one)...the brining really works, they were great! On the down side, I had to go persecute my own homosexuals and that kinda sucked.

Lol

I'm gay irl

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
McDonald's screwed themselves by fighting so hard against the $15 minimum wage even though places like NYC just enacted it and other blue states have it going into effect by 2022. They finally stopped opposing it once their hiring issues became bad enough.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

JB50 posted:

No?

Okay then carry on.

Tell us more about how you like giving money to people who fund conversion therapy.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

JB50 posted:

No?

Okay then carry on.

Hey I'm glad that hating anti-LGBT companies is dumb poo poo to you.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im gay so instead of giving money to companies that fund conversion therapy, I give money to companies that know how to do it on the dl. If they cant put the effort into a thin veneer of respectability then Im not going to put in the effort to go there :colbert:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s telling that, with all the recent derails in this thread, including the soft drink one, a couple people felt discussing Chick-fil-a funding LGBTQ conversion therapy is way too off-topic and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gay people at at Chickfila all the time it's really not that big of a deal. You'd have to eat there like 10,000 times for a penny of your money to wind up into their charities.