Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

God Hole posted:

I'm now picturing Spring Breakers as a sort of atonement film, considering how depraved and unattractive the wild partying in it is. I can't say any sane person would want to party in Florida after watching that.

I know he was less involved in the creative aspect but I'm also unconsciously contrasting that with DiCaprio's Wolf of Wallstreet, which had a similar message of "this is not actually what you should want to become" but missed its mark a bit (I still hear of people unironically throwing "Wolf of Wallstreet" parties, whatever that supposedly entails). DiCaprio just seemed like he was too in his element and having too much fun for it to be a proper condemnation of that sort of lifestyle.

I’m not exonerating him, but it’s really unfair to say that someone is soooooo good at acting they’re probably a scumbag IRL. Leonardo DiCaprio is, unlike 95% of the people in this thread, a world class actor and thesbian.

Also, as long as Leo’s new girlfriends are above board and not teens, IDGAF. I haven’t been able to listen to Seinfeld since I heard the thing about his 17 years GF when he was 35 and the biggest comedian on TV. Some serious Paul Walker erasure going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Leo is absolutely a world class actor and philanthropist and that's great - but I think its fair to be grossed out by him still living the pussy patrol lifestyle at 44. Obviously its all fine if everyone is a consenting adult and I didn't imply he was a predator. Just that it undercuts what The Wolf of Wall Street critiqued and contributes to the glamorisation of it because DiCaprio's life parallels Belfort's superficially.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is gross dating people 20 years your junior even if you aren't doing anything actually illegal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but I do gross poo poo all the time. A consenting 23 year old and a consenting 45 year old is not a problem for me.

A consenting 30 year old and a consenting 16 year old is definitely a problem for me.

Both are weird. One is obviously, on its face, more problematic because it involves a child.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's dozens and dozens of old actors dating women half or a third their age.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rhyno posted:

There's dozens and dozens of old actors dating women half or a third their age.

and it's gross.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but I do gross poo poo all the time. A consenting 23 year old and a consenting 45 year old is not a problem for me.

i think me dating a 23 year old is gross and i'm a lot younger than leo. someone right out of college doesn't have anywhere near the life experience.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think me dating a 23 year old is gross and i'm a lot younger than leo. someone right out of college doesn't have anywhere near the life experience.

It’s almost as if they aren’t dating 24 year old super models for their life-experience.

These people aren’t there for companionship, there there because if you’re the hottest guy on Earth you wanna gently caress the hottest people on Earth. It’s not like they can have regular relationships with regular people once they become too famous to go to the grocery store.

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong or gross about hot people wanting to gently caress each other, at all. As long as those people aren’t kids.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They've recently established diversity quotas to ensure that they hire a representative number of sexual predators.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Its a dumb conversation to have here. Until Leo is accused of sexual assault let’s seperate “gross” out can we?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does feel like a couple of degrees from Chad and Stacey, yeah.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s almost as if they aren’t dating 24 year old super models for their life-experience.

These people aren’t there for companionship, there there because if you’re the hottest guy on Earth you wanna gently caress the hottest people on Earth. It’s not like they can have regular relationships with regular people once they become too famous to go to the grocery store.

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong or gross about hot people wanting to gently caress each other, at all. As long as those people aren’t kids.

Yeah, who cares about two adults loving. Everything isn't about dating, and this doesn't even have anything to do with the thread at had, really.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

Leo is absolutely a world class actor and philanthropist and that's great - but I think its fair to be grossed out by him still living the pussy patrol lifestyle at 44. Obviously its all fine if everyone is a consenting adult and I didn't imply he was a predator. Just that it undercuts what The Wolf of Wall Street critiqued and contributes to the glamorisation of it because DiCaprio's life parallels Belfort's superficially.

I agree that Leonardo Di Caprio should only have sex with women his age so that the point of one movie he made is not undercut

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m 25 and I would gently caress DiCaprio, no questions asked

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well it’s kinda interesting because more than half the threads content is less cut-and-dry sexual assault and based on power dynamic.

Can you reasonably expect a balance of power in a relationship with Leo, for example? What women wouldn’t be completely dwarfed by his money, fame and influence?

Many in this thread might argue it’s literally impossible for someone that famous to have a normal relationship, because even if Leo loved and cared for you, you’re only one big fight away from getting replaced by literally millions of women who would die to take your place.

Does Leo even have a female contemporary? I know she’s nearly 30-40 years his senior but he’d need Meryl Streep or Angelina Jolie or Britney Spears, someone with so much of their own power and influence that it’s normalized, or at least balanced.

I mean that’s all we really talk about when it comes down to Louis CK, right, at least with the women who consented initially, we say they felt like they had to because of power imbalance, because he’s a gatekeeper. What happens if you become that famous? I’d argue at that point there’s no chance of a real relationship and you might as well just gently caress hotties until you die.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I mean he and Kate Winslet should obviously be together

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I mean he and Kate Winslet should obviously be together

Are we shipping now?

LoL Titanic joke.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Well it’s kinda interesting because more than half the threads content is less cut-and-dry sexual assault and based on power dynamic.

There's practically never an equal balance of power in any relationship. Someone has more experience, or is smarter, or makes more money, or looks better, whatever.

Louis CK's initial apology, before he became a gigantic dick about it, explained it. Even if he didn't know what he was doing at the time specifically, him being in a position of professional power over those women due to his clout, meant that their consent was basically nullified. It's the same as a guy dating a junior coworker where he may be able to influence her job and position (which is also why you have to report office relationships to HR in large companies).

That's also why this kind of thing is situational and not an either/or thing. The power differential between a minor and a much older adult is never reconcilable, so you can draw a hard line there. Same with a situation where someone literally threatens a career. Or someone assaulting another. But relative power differentials between consenting adults is all dependent on context and specifics.

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 3, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Are we shipping now?

LoL Titanic joke.

revolutionary joke

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Did I miss something? Is Leo getting metoo’d?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shaocaholica posted:

Did I miss something? Is Leo getting metoo’d?

No, David Blaine is but he was part of the group known as Pussy Posse in the 90s with Leo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think one could make a strong argument for one member of the Pussy Posse’s indictment being an indictment of the Pussy Posse as a whole.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Can you reasonably expect a balance of power in a relationship with Leo, for example? What women wouldn’t be completely dwarfed by his money, fame and influence?

Many in this thread might argue it’s literally impossible for someone that famous to have a normal relationship, because even if Leo loved and cared for you, you’re only one big fight away from getting replaced by literally millions of women who would die to take your place.

Does Leo even have a female contemporary? I know she’s nearly 30-40 years his senior but he’d need Meryl Streep or Angelina Jolie or Britney Spears, someone with so much of their own power and influence that it’s normalized, or at least balanced.

I mean that’s all we really talk about when it comes down to Louis CK, right, at least with the women who consented initially, we say they felt like they had to because of power imbalance, because he’s a gatekeeper. What happens if you become that famous? I’d argue at that point there’s no chance of a real relationship and you might as well just gently caress hotties until you die.

The power dynamic conversation is definitely important to have I think especially how it relates to cases exploiting fame to get laid. There's the argument that people sleeping with famous men are getting "something" in return but I think that can get pretty hazy in terms of power dynamics. I think it can get abused pretty quickly. More in terms of people directly sleeping with fans - which can be pretty tricky to parse because there's a lot of competing dynamics there. The Aziz Ansari thing kind of falls into that spectrum. I am sure it is unintentional for a lot of celebrities but I can easily imagine some celebrities exploiting that.

I feel like there are probably more famous people that do manage to get into healthy relationships than are forced to recycle blonde models in their early 20s. Leo is an exception rather than the norm in that case. We just have a cultural expectation that's what movie stars do - probably in no large part due to Leo himself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The reason why Leo has so few contemporaries who are on his level of fame and wealth is because Hollywood is designed that way though. Actresses are treated as if they have a finite shelf life whereas the DiCaprio's of the world can age poorly and still get tons of big money work. Leo is not the pretty boy he once was and still gets huge roles, it's very very rare for actresses to be allowed that privilege.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bust Rodd posted:

I think one could make a strong argument for one member of the Pussy Posse’s indictment being an indictment of the Pussy Posse as a whole.

I see "David Blaine" and "Pussy Posse" and just assume he's guilty of whatever he's being accused of.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Vintersorg posted:

No, David Blaine is but he was part of the group known as Pussy Posse in the 90s with Leo.

And therefore, we must litigate every aspect of Leo DiCaprio's personal life, apparently, starting with relationships he has with consenting, albeit comparatively young, attractive of-age grown-up women.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s also a good example of how likability and credibility factor into it.

We have photographs of Asia Argento in bed with a child she may have been grooming for years and people are still going to bat for her more ferociously than Dunham. Dunham just sucks and is very unlikeable and it’s easier to drag her for a weird thing than it is to drag someone like MJ or Bowie for an obvious, terrible crime.

I mean in Argento's case the fact it came out after she did the interview about Weinstein also made me really skeptical until evidence started piling up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Vagabundo posted:

And therefore, we must litigate every aspect of Leo DiCaprio's personal life, apparently, starting with relationships he has with consenting, albeit comparatively young, attractive of-age grown-up women.

No I’m saying maybe a group of dudes who called themselves The Pussy Posse didn’t have awesome attitudes towards women

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Darko posted:

revolutionary joke

i see what you did there and appreciate it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Minge Mob probably wasn't very on the up and up when it came to women

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Poon Platoon members undoubtedly have some skeletons in their closet

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Dick Detail, on the other hand, very humble characters, very progressive about affirmative consent

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
And the less said about the Gooch Group, the better.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The Booty Brigade gets pretty wild, but they're good people

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Quite proud to have voted for the Penis Party in the last election

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

you guys don't even want to know about the schlong throng

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

None of you are invited to the Buddy Brigade's Goldeneye tournament.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
Heaven save us from the Terrible Taint Troupe.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Be sure to leave the backdoor open for the Anal Entourage

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

None of you are invited to the Buddy Brigade's Goldeneye tournament.

psh, you get beaten by the Fuckhole Friends every year anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Coffee And Pie posted:

Quite proud to have voted for the Penis Party in the last election

I really wish the delegates hadn't rolled over on the Cock Cadre, but if it's between the above and the Gash Grabbers, I know what side I'm on.