Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Saxophone posted:

SAXOPHONE1282_NPGB

Is what the thing says my invite code is. Is there something else I'm missing or different servers or something?

Your first post had a space between saxophone and 1282. That would throw off the search. Unless you’re on XBox, PS4, or Switch—those servers are all separate from the PC/mobile servers, and we’d never be able to find you there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Grundulum posted:

Your first post had a space between saxophone and 1282. That would throw off the search. Unless you’re on XBox, PS4, or Switch—those servers are all separate from the PC/mobile servers, and we’d never be able to find you there.

Bloody hell I'm dumb.

Really enjoying this game so far, it's initially simple and looks like it gains a lot of depth. My mimic and I are tearing up the elf kingdom.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Got room for GNARLYCRAWFISH4_QHZG in the chill guild?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Saxophone posted:

Bloody hell I'm dumb.

Really enjoying this game so far, it's initially simple and looks like it gains a lot of depth. My mimic and I are tearing up the elf kingdom.

Invite sent! I spelled it "Saxaphone" once or twice before realizing and almost asked you to confirm the code again.

HatJudge posted:

Got room for GNARLYCRAWFISH4_QHZG in the chill guild?

borf posted:

Could I also snag a guild spot if one is still available? I finally got hooked on a dumb cell phone game yay.
invite code: THURMANMURMAN_Z2AM

As soon as we kick out some more pubbies soon, yes! Should be in the next day or so. The pubbies are just in right now to fill in space when the total number of goons playing ebbs a bit.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sent invites to Saxaphone, borf and HatJudge.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I don't suppose there is a goon guild for the Switch version? I briefly tried the game out on PC ages ago, but it seems to fit Switch like a glove & I figured I might as well start now since everyone starts from scratch there (or so I read?).

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I haven't received the invite. Or should I expect it somewhere other than the mailbox?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Night Danger Moose posted:

Floor 22
Rare: Haste
Ultra: Unlock

Floor 22 epic and legendary are both armor scrolls :(

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

HatJudge posted:

I haven't received the invite. Or should I expect it somewhere other than the mailbox?

I just sent the invite again, although you won't get it if you're still in a guild (post here when you leave it if so).

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Got it, and got in. Thanks! I probably hadn't left the pubbies in time.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Floor 25:
I wound up using Bulette to kick Silent Sentinel to the back, got lucky on a devour of the Valraven that was up next, then managed to tank Titan/Earth’s Fury long enough to mop up.

It took a few tries, and it was as much the RNG’s blessing as it was skill on my end.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Floor 26

Rare: Magic
Ultra: Haste
Epic: Unlock

I'm out of elevator juice :(

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Raid boss Zuul'Goth opens tomorrow. Excellent job with the Tower this week Boiz, I see several of us that are at high 20s and low 30s Dooms on it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I cleared floor 1 with my ragtag band of misfits, so uh :toot:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Saxophone posted:

I cleared floor 1 with my ragtag band of misfits, so uh :toot:

It’s a start, dude(tte). If you’re still playing in six months, or a year, these events will feel really different from now. You’ll build up your troop selection, trait out good legendary/mythic troops, and find that formerly-dangerous content is now trivial. (Then the goalposts shift and you’re beating your head against level 25 in the Tower. :v:)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The great maw was the key to cracking the last two ultimate Doom teams; eating Glaycion or the sentinel makes it a lot easier. No idea what to do when it isn't yellow or brown...

borf
Apr 5, 2006

Annointed posted:

Sent invites to Saxaphone, borf and HatJudge.

I got the invite but when I hit join it gave some error message... Sorry, I don't remember what it was. Perhaps the guild had filled back up by the time I saw it, appreciate another invite when a spot opens. Thanks.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

borf posted:

I got the invite but when I hit join it gave some error message... Sorry, I don't remember what it was. Perhaps the guild had filled back up by the time I saw it, appreciate another invite when a spot opens. Thanks.

I re-sent the invite, we still have spots open. The invite system just isn’t super reliable, this happens all the time.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Are there any useless cards I can disenchant straight away? Should I? I have like 5 justice cards from guild stuff and some others

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
^^^ Eh, not really. Disenchanting gives very poor returns, and long run you want up to 200 copies of everything to ascend them to mythic. If you need souls, one option for this week is to use the Silver Oak (purchaseable under glory rewards in the shop) to explore, and get 40 souls per fight. It's not a great option but it's there if you don't have the troops/traitstones for a more typical soul-farming team (like in OP and elsewhere).

I've been wrestling with teams again (mostly with guild wars in mind), and found some combinations to share and get feedback on.

Defense (flexible) - Mountain Crusher / Titan, Rock Troll, TINA-9000, Famine (Dark Pits banner). Get lots of brown to power mythics. Not complicated, just finding a new home for TINA.
Defense (flexible) - Deep Borer, Leprechaun, Doomed Club / Frostmage, High King Irongut (Blackhawk banner). In progress, probably a bunch of better mythics for the 4th spot but it's doing ok.
Green attack - Essence of Evil / Titan, Yao Guai, King Avelon, The Possessed King (All-Seeing Eye banner). I love this team. It's got a little of everything: a strong disable, growing damage, 2 sources of transforms, tons of explosions, and 3 troops start at half mana. I'm planning to use it for defense too.

What's everyone using for Raid boss? I'm stuck with Mang, raid troop, and two others. No Queen Aurora so I've got wisp and Krystenax. Bleh.

Enkor fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 1, 2019

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Enkor posted:

What's everyone using for Raid boss? I'm stuck with Mang, raid troop, and two others. No Queen Aurora so I've got wisp and Krystenax. Bleh.
I'm using:

Krystenax ***
Lord Ehrondil ***
Swordmaster ***
Staff of Visions +10
Riven Banner (I think)
Bard Class (bonus for last position and starts with 50% mana)

Works decently, I haven't lost yet, but did have one raven escape.

The staff powers up first and becomes enchanted, I try and cast it on the hero a few times (it grants mana, so back to back to back is not hard) until it's granting 50+ to a random skill. Then I hit Krys or Ehrondil, usually powers them nearly full (Krys is now enchanted because of the purple matches used to get Vision powered). At 160 Ehrondil is one shotting Zuul'.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

porktree posted:

I'm using:

Krystenax ***
Lord Ehrondil ***
Swordmaster ***
Staff of Visions +10
Riven Banner (I think)

Works decently, I haven't lost yet, but did have one raven escape.

The staff powers up first and becomes enchanted, I try and cast it on the hero a few times (it grants mana, so back to back to back is not hard) until it's granting 50+ to a random skill. Then I hit Krys or Ehrondil, usually powers them nearly full (Krys is now enchanted because of the purple matches used to get Vision powered). At 160 Ehrondil is one shotting Zuul'.

I'm playing with variants of this team now (especially since I haven't levelled bard), and I'm not convinced but it isn't Mang so hell yes. Started off with frostmage for explosions & increasing magic score but now I'm thinking it's slow enough that a class with the shadow tree (thief) might be good. Stealthy avoids wiping out to a lucky Zuul'goth cast, and hey cool duskstorm and fodder summons.

e: Staff of Visions in 3rd, and Wisp in back. Wisp can dispel the enchant from Grave Seer, in addition to damage that scales with the enemy levels.

Enkor fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 3, 2019

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Enkor posted:

I'm playing with variants of this team now (especially since I haven't levelled bard), and I'm not convinced but it isn't Mang so hell yes. Started off with frostmage for explosions & increasing magic score but now I'm thinking it's slow enough that a class with the shadow tree (thief) might be good. Stealthy avoids wiping out to a lucky Zuul'goth cast, and hey cool duskstorm and fodder summons.

That sounds interesting. I’ve got the bard at 60, and frostmage at 32, and thief at 26. I should probs level the thief to 30 before I use it in the event though. I got titan to 100 and only use it at the end of the events.

edit: And so I lost the first round today (that also had a raven) because I got no damned purples. This team is heavily a purple team. Switching to Thief now.

porktree fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 2, 2019

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Enkor posted:

Gonna try running with

All-Seeing Eye baner
Krystenax
Lord
Trickster's Shot +9
Wisp
Thief class

I've become frond of Trickster's Shot lately, especially with towers, but it plus the event troop can make Zuul a quick 1-2 shot for several levels. Its self-enchant on cast is baller too.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Porktree posted:

Krystenax ***
Lord Ehrondil ***
Swordmaster ***
Staff of Visions +10
Riven Banner (I think)

I put Willow in slot 3 rather than Swordmaster, and am enjoying this (Thief hero class) -- first time I've run Staff of Visions, and it's pretty fun. I think I just passed boss level 100 and still haven't lost or had a raven escape, although Krystenax has been killed a couple times and I might have to change up eventually.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

New update dropped. It's got uhh some type of rating you can give another player. Also buying event keys with glory is limited to ten as someone discussed earlier. Looks like Tina got a nerf too.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
They definitely changed the encounter table in Sea of Sorrows

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've been finding Mang makes for a good 1-2 punch with the raid troop. Mang strips the boss of armor and then the hero can one-shot the other troops with skulls while the raid troop can finish off the boss with one cast.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

New update dropped. It's got uhh some type of rating you can give another player. Also buying event keys with glory is limited to ten as someone discussed earlier. Looks like Tina got a nerf too.

Time to give a bunch of honor to Grundulum and NightDangerMoose!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

onefish posted:

Time to give a bunch of honor to Grundulum and NightDangerMoose!

I appreciate the sentiment, but iOS still doesn’t have the update yet. So I have no idea what happens if you try to honor me. Try and see? :shrug:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Parallelwoody posted:

They also gave people a ton of titles and avatar pictures. That's pretty neat for customization. I am a bit annoyed that we got an option to get more than one copy of the event keys at a time when we're limited to only 10 at a time.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Two announcements:

(1) There is a new mythic this Friday, so collect all your seals and spend any orbs you want to.
(2) The update is out on iOS, so everyone can download it and start honoring till the cows come home!

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I've maxed out my seals for the week and my gold income is hot garbage. Is there any other way to contribute to the guild?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Saxophone posted:

I've maxed out my seals for the week and my gold income is hot garbage. Is there any other way to contribute to the guild?
There’s participating in the beginning levels of weekly events.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Saxophone posted:

You've done all we asked for already then. If you wanna grind out zuul fights or pvp battles the trophies help, but they're not a big deal. Zuul damage would be the biggest contributor now. Don't worry about gold at all, it'll come as you get higher level.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Night Danger Moose posted:

You've done all we asked for already then. If you wanna grind out zuul fights or pvp battles the trophies help, but they're not a big deal. Zuul damage would be the biggest contributor now. Don't worry about gold at all, it'll come as you get higher level.

The zuul fights ramped up hard (for me) after the set of rooms. I may take another stab at it now that I have Elwyn.

Speaking of, my troop variety is definitely lacking so I haven't been able to put together some of the recommended teams I've seen, but so far I haven't been doing too bad running Elwyn, Sandrunner, enchantress, and the Warlord weapon. I pumped Elwyn up to 18 and he's destroying things. The Sandrunner and enchantress are good for picking off enemies and having the Warlord axe suddenly deal 15-20 damage depending on the enemy has gotten me out of a few binds.

Should that still work for a while? Am I missing something glad with that set up?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Saxophone posted:

The zuul fights ramped up hard (for me) after the set of rooms. I may take another stab at it now that I have Elwyn.

Speaking of, my troop variety is definitely lacking so I haven't been able to put together some of the recommended teams I've seen, but so far I haven't been doing too bad running Elwyn, Sandrunner, enchantress, and the Warlord weapon. I pumped Elwyn up to 18 and he's destroying things. The Sandrunner and enchantress are good for picking off enemies and having the Warlord axe suddenly deal 15-20 damage depending on the enemy has gotten me out of a few binds.

Should that still work for a while? Am I missing something glad with that set up?

:shobon:

15-20 damage is basically negligible for end-game grindy stage, when people talk about optimum teams, they are trying to find teams that have damage that scales HARD - so things that remove all armor, or scale with enemy+ally stats, or the event troop.

Have you upgraded your Hero Class levels? Each hero class gets upgraded with souls up to Level 20 max, and has a big effect on stats. Are you in a guild, also? Because with maxing out your Hero levels and the Guild bonus stats, I feel like you would be seeing a lot more than 15-20 damage.

As long as you're having fun have at it, but grinding up to the higher levels of the Invasion/Raid events is painful if you're using "fair" troops and weapons.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah, I'm only level like.... 60? So I'm really green. I don't even have all the kingdoms unlocked. I've watched Tacets YouTube video for new players though and got set in a better direction for unlocking goodies that will help. Working on the sentinel weapon now and then will set up shop with assassin until I get Titan. I just unlocked dungeons and the forge yesterday and working on getting the underworld now. Just methodically clearing out the kingdoms.

This game has some nice hooks in me and I may well drop some money soon for the entertainment it's already provided. What's good in the 5-10 bux range?

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Saxophone posted:

Elwyn is solid yeah. Early on I paired him with Clockwork Sphinx (rare, sorta easy to get but random) + Rowanne (quest reward from finishing forest of thorns) for a little more power in longer fights. It sounds like you're playing as Warlord, so I would suggest levelling (and perhaps unlocking) a different class. Titan is still the gold standard, but Frostmage, Thief, Sentinel, Plaguelord are all solid.

As for raid boss, you can only use Silverglade troops, so you might be pretty stuck. The 'godslayer' troop purchasable with gems in the event shop is good, but it isn't a whole team. So contributing to your guild is more like levelling your kingdoms quickly so you can start helping in other ways. PvP is very good for that. Oh! And it blew my mind when I finally grudgingly tried the ranked PvP mode. I got to see all these new troop combos I'd never thought of, so absolutely use that for inspiration.

e: the late game of gems of war is unfun bullshit so don't worry about racing to the end. And most guides come from that weird perspective.

ee: for $5 I've been watching the 'weekly event' section of the shop to see if they bring back an overpowered weapon that I must have. Otherwise I think getting maximum gems per $ is the goal? So the 15 gems / 15 days or sometimes there's a short-term weekend offer. The "good" long term purchases are deathknight armor or like Path to Glory II or something. $50 stuff, unfortunately.

Enkor fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

Saxophone posted:

Yeah, I'm only level like.... 60? So I'm really green. I don't even have all the kingdoms unlocked. I've watched Tacets YouTube video for new players though and got set in a better direction for unlocking goodies that will help. Working on the sentinel weapon now and then will set up shop with assassin until I get Titan. I just unlocked dungeons and the forge yesterday and working on getting the underworld now. Just methodically clearing out the kingdoms.

This game has some nice hooks in me and I may well drop some money soon for the entertainment it's already provided. What's good in the 5-10 bux range?

I’d say the best thing you can do now is clearing kingdom quests and pvp, saving all the gems you’re getting for the dragon armor. PvP is some of the best gold there is at any time, and is needed to start the leveling kingdoms > get resources passively from tributes > level kingdoms feedback loop.

One of the best bang-for-your-buck cash purchases is the Sunday diamond pack or whatever from the dungeon screen. The gem pack on Sunday is also very good (you can only get one of each of those each week, maybe also true for the $ pack) but possibly not better than continuing to save gems for the 500 gem armor.