Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

if the future is going to be nothing but comic book movies, im happy to see one that actually does something interesting with the material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah on one hand it's another comic book movie which is something I have very little interest or energy for and it's a waste of Joaquin Phoenix and part of the ongoing infantilization of the American public thru (essentially) children's and fantasy media (huh huh Voldemort is like trump!!!!)....

but on the other hand:

QuoProQuid posted:

if the future is going to be nothing but comic book movies, im happy to see one that actually does something interesting with the material

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That Joker movie has pretensions of art house cinema and that's good enough for me. Might be a day 1 watch

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I don't care about Joker or Batman or any other freakin comic book poo poo, but Joaquin Phoenix rules hard, so I'll watch it. If it was literally anyone else I doubt I would even slightly care about this. Zazie Beetz and Marc Maron are cool too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I don't care about Joker or Batman or any other freakin comic book poo poo, but Joaquin Phoenix rules hard, so I'll watch it. If it was literally anyone else I doubt I would even slightly care about this. Zazie Beetz and Marc Maron are cool too.

The cast is definitely the most interesting part, Maron's been doing cool work recently and they cherry-picked a lot of great HBO All-Stars (Shea Whigham, Bill Camp, Frances Conroy, Glenn Fleshler)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Looks like it should be pretty easy for y'all to ignore that it has comic book ties and just see a 70's Scorsese inspired character piece.
Hopefully it has a little something beyond copying Taxi Driver, but I'm in.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

OldTennisCourt posted:

The grimy 70s New York vibe kicks 9 kinds of rear end in that trailer. The laugh rules hard as well.

I had literally no expectations for the movie but based on that trailer it's a day 1 watch for me.

Same. The cinematography looks shockingly good, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I am SO into this. It looks less like a traditional comic book movie and more like an exploration of mental illness and revenge. Joaquin Phoenix goes above and beyond for pretty much every role he takes, and not in an offensive way like Jared Leto does, so I'm excited to see him kill it in this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Joaquin Phoenix goes above and beyond for pretty much every role he takes, and not in an offensive way like Jared Leto does, so I'm excited to see him kill it in this.

The biggest issue I have with Leto is I'M SO METHOD I'M TOTALLY THIS CHARACTER 24/7 and he makes sure everyone knows this ALL THE TIME.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Proteus Jones posted:

The biggest issue I have with Leto is I'M SO METHOD I'M TOTALLY THIS CHARACTER 24/7 and he makes sure everyone knows this ALL THE TIME.
When he did this for Chapter 27, it was kinda loving hilarious because he gained so much weight so quickly that he gave himself gout, all for a movie no one saw and no one remembers :allears:

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jared Leto's Joker was undoubtedly terrible, but I think he redeemed himself at playing villains with Wallace in BR2049.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Slutitution posted:

Jared Leto's Joker was undoubtedly terrible, but I think he redeemed himself at playing villains with Wallace in BR2049.

He's serviceable as Wallace and mediocre when you learn that the original choice for the role was David Bowie.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

I'm also down for Joker, as long as they stick with the idea that it's only tenuously a comic book movie. Also that trailer someone posted for King of Comedy is such a swerve to the actual movie holy moly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wallace was the sort of role that needed a great actor or even just an interesting presence to come in and elevate it and bring something to the role. Leto did not do that. He was totally fine, but he brought nothing to the table himself in a role that required it.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

feedmyleg posted:

Wallace was the sort of role that needed a great actor or even just an interesting presence to come in and elevate it and bring something to the role. Leto did not do that. He was totally fine, but he brought nothing to the table himself in a role that required it.

He played what a tech CEO of a worldwide monopoly will undoubtedly be like in the future.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Slutitution posted:

He played what a tech CEO of a worldwide monopoly will undoubtedly be like in the future.

What, like, 2 years from now? They're already there imo.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What, like, 2 years from now? They're already there imo.

I mean when late capitalism's corporate monopolies will eventually have every state subservient to it or destroyed.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Full trailer for Nicolas Winding Refn's Too Old to Die Young, on Prime June 14th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0KO8My-90g

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
leto was loving garbage in blade runner. harrison ford was lazy but leto was actively embarrassing and overacting

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

This feels like a new angle. Definitely going to see it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Oh cool, new Winding Refn!

Oh no, it's a 10-episode TV show!

Oh cool, it was written by Ed Brubaker!

Oh no!!!!!:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This movie looks like the premise is "what if the Punisher showed up in Sicario?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG_bSpg4kj4

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

morestuff posted:

Oh no!!!!!:

That was a rollercoaster. I like Refn but I don't know.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

morestuff posted:

Oh no!!!!!:

15 hours of new Refn?! :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm so hard right now.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Less is more. Except all the times it isn't. But I've never liked Miles Teller, so it's true in his case.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

90 minutes seems long, but 3/4 of each episode will be somebody staring at something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Full trailer for Nicolas Winding Refn's Too Old to Die Young, on Prime June 14th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0KO8My-90g

My mind and my soul is ready.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I am SO into this. It looks less like a traditional comic book movie and more like an exploration of mental illness and revenge. Joaquin Phoenix goes above and beyond for pretty much every role he takes, and not in an offensive way like Jared Leto does, so I'm excited to see him kill it in this.

I agree with you on Phoenix going the distance and always being watchable, but didn't he do some over-the-top-Kaufman poo poo for I'm Still Here?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Farrier Theaks posted:

I agree with you on Phoenix going the distance and always being watchable, but didn't he do some over-the-top-Kaufman poo poo for I'm Still Here?
He sure did! And doesn't that make this more exciting than any recent Joker adaptation?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Farrier Theaks posted:

Yeah, and a lot of people somehow genuinely believed that he'd gone crazy, quit acting, and decided to be a terrible rapper.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

caligulamprey posted:

gently caress ME I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i dont think anyone really thought he'd become a rapper but there were legit questions about how behavior, mental state and career choices. he went really deep into that character.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

He did, but he also had Casey Affleck following him around with a camera the entire time, so it wasn't exactly a mystery what he was doing. Why he did it, I'm not really sure, but I haven't seen I'm Still Here so maybe it's actually good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's great, and he puts in an incredible comedic performance.
I dunno why people still have to take it seriously at all (except for Casey's behaviour behind the scenes.)

I feel like the negative reviews at the time were less because it was a bad movie and more because instead of politicians or some old racists in Sasha Baron Cohen movies, the media were the targets and got very successfully played.

edit: Roger Ebert's completely earnest review of the 'documentary' full of concern for Phoenix makes me a little sad. I hope the guy rang him up to let him know it was a gag, and not to worry.
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/im-still-here-2010

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 4, 2019

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Oh, I should check it out at some point then. I remember it being rather poorly received, although it seemed a lot of the bad reception was because people were mad about him not being upfront that it was a character and stuff was staged. Even though that was the obvious conclusion.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ammanas posted:

leto was loving garbage in blade runner. harrison ford was lazy but leto was actively embarrassing and overacting

:haibrow:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Kristen Stewart in J.T. Leroy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtP2znoSBY4

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
That was a really well done trailer and I went 0 interest in Joker to day one. He definitely doesn’t need to be that much of a sympathetic character so I really hope they don’t go that route. Kind of makes me wish it wasn’t connected to comics at all honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I've decided to just watch whatever Kristen Stewart does even if it doesn't look super interesting because I love her and she is mega cool. Laura Dern rules too.