Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Angry Face, what did you pick at level 9 and what did you replace? Maybe should be what did you replace most often since I know some people flex stuff more often.

edit: To provide my own situation. Here's what I normally use:

Rain of Arrows, Multi-Pronged Assault, Frightening Curse, Race to the Grave, Swift Trickery, Fresh Kill, Expose, Press the Attack, Darkened Skies, Camouflage, Crashing Wave, Feral Instincts

I can put Detonation in if needed for small monsters.

I think I'm leaning towards Lead to Slaughter since I do frequently seem to want to move a doom to another target. If I don't, another top attack would be nice especially one that isn't conditional on being doomed or uninjured. Leaving the 2 pure damage doom up on a shielded guy while I attack something else would be an example. Or I could use this with a Volatile Bomb that I haven't gotten as much use out of.

The summon on Predator and Prey looks decent even though we have plenty of poison already. We have Circles too. The doom would be good for our mainly ranged party at this point too.

I think both of these would probably replace Frightening Curse. I've never used the bottom of it. The top is awesome when the timing works out though. Could also replace Crashing Wave since I really only took that for the Curse Doom, but we're almost always maxed on curses with our party.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

KingKapalone posted:

Angry Face, what did you pick at level 9 and what did you replace? ]

I took the summon and it was okay. It sometimes lived long enough to attack 4 or 5 times. Other times it only got off 2 attacks before dying. Tough to keep it alive when it's up against top-level demons with Retaliate 5 at range. Honestly, it's one of the classes with level 9 cards that are just good instead of ridiculous. Either one is fine.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Angry Face:the level 9 summon is pretty baller as long as it doesn't get caught in bursts and blasts, or retaliated. Good tactics should keep it alive for ages, and poisoning your target makes your damage go up which is great. And it's doubly good if you took the level 5 card with the bottom attack (which is a really good card) which the top has been super useless on until now).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Haven't posted here in forever but Hauki and I played for the first time in months, played scenario 67 and somehow beat it, and it was the most fun I've had gaming in forever. Hope this helps.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My friends and I have had a boardgame group for the past couple of years, we do stuff entirely through TTS since we are scattered across the country. My best friend decided to look for a 2 player game we could play, since conflicting schedules mean we're the only 2 who can regularly play anymore. We wound up trying Gloomhaven for the first time, although I'll admit I didn't really want to, it looked intimidating as hell.

Wow, I'm glad we did. I don't think I've ever been so immediately hooked on a boardgame. It took us 3 tries to clear the starting scenario, a mix of us being really dumb, taking time to get our heads around how the momentum should work with your cards, and me picking spellweaver which seems really easy to gently caress up if you don't have your head around the way the game works yet. On our third try I rerolled as a brute, and my friend as a mindthief, and we cleared it easily. We did some side scenario next, and when we were ready to move on to scenario 2, we had a 3rd friend around who was interested, so we decided to see how feasible having someone just drop in and out in random scenarios would work. It went great! He picked scoundrel, managed to get a good sense of the flow right off the bat, and we absolutely demolished the scenario. The boss died having only opened one door, and summoned 1 skeleton. Scoundrel can do some insane poo poo if the party can set them up for it. We're both in love with the game and plan to play basically any night we can fit it in, and the third player came away having had a lot of fun, and seems happy to jump back in when he happens to be available.

This is absolutely insane, but I'm actually tempted to buy it, despite not having any local group to play it with. The game is awesome enough I'd be happy to support the developer, and if my situation ever changes and I have a local group then great! Would be quite a ways off before I could spare the money, but I'll probably come in with all sorts of questions about standee replacements and organizing solutions and poo poo if/when I do.

Literally the only problem I have with anything is that I feel like being 2 player really limits our possibilities compared to a 3 or 4 player party. I have the impression there are some unlockable classes that are pretty hard supports and probably won't play well with only 2 of us, but that's not exactly the game's fault. Anyways, this game rules and I'm having a lot of fun going back through the thread and seeing people's reactions to it when it came out.

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 1, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Peachy Poo posted:

I have the impression there are some unlockable classes that are pretty hard supports and probably won't play well with only 2 of us, but that's not exactly the game's fault.
I think the Tinkerer is one of the worst 2P classes and from what I've seen there's only maybe 1 or 2 unlockable classes in the same boat.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Peachy Poo posted:

Literally the only problem I have with anything is that I feel like being 2 player really limits our possibilities compared to a 3 or 4 player party. I have the impression there are some unlockable classes that are pretty hard supports and probably won't play well with only 2 of us, but that's not exactly the game's fault. Anyways, this game rules and I'm having a lot of fun going back through the thread and seeing people's reactions to it when it came out.

Once you feel comfortable, it's perfectly possible for two players to each play two characters. You may or may not want to play around with raising the difficulty accordingly, but either way it all works fine.

Your impression, however, isn't completely correct. There are some supportive effects that naturally scale better with more characters, but no class is outright useless or even distinctly underpowered at two characters on the board. The worst you get is a team composition that doesn't synergize as well. The starting pairs of Spellweaver + Mindthief/Scoundrel are well known issues, but even those are problems that exist when you're at level 1 with few options. As you level and get more HP and more powerful moves, even a "bad composition" like that can work without issue.

What does have to happen is a change of perspective. A Tinkerer at two players will use different cards than a Tinkerer at four players, because a Tinkerer at four players can avoid some of the more powerful damaging cards in exchange for supportive effects that multiply another character's effectiveness (Enhancement Field on a Brute, for example). At two players, you can't afford to have too many cards that don't deal damage, but even then you can always default to the basic Attack 2 and function even if you're not necessarily optimal.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting, alright.

I hadn't really thought about the possibility of us controlling multiple characters tbh. We have a 5 day break here where we can't play at all, and I decided to try out solo on a new campaign to see how it played. I went with 3 characters and definitely found that way too tedious and time consuming to manage by myself, but I could see 2 and 2 working out potentially. I'll float the idea by my partner when it we first retire or switch out characters, probably. I'm not confident they'll be into it, but I like the idea at least! Either way we won't have to think about it for a while since my concerns don't really apply to our current party comp.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
man scenario 26 is a fucker of a mission. we have like 40 games done and assumed it would be an easy one since its low numbered. you arent beating this one unless you have AOE and stealth. the last room is so amazingly poorly designed i have to wonder if it was created early in GH's development or another terrible guest-designed scenario

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Relin posted:

man scenario 26 is a fucker of a mission. we have like 40 games done and assumed it would be an easy one since its low numbered. you arent beating this one unless you have AOE and stealth. the last room is so amazingly poorly designed i have to wonder if it was created early in GH's development or another terrible guest-designed scenario

26 is awful. Our group failed it 3 times so we kicked the difficulty down to 0 and steamrolled it. No shame, no regrets.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Finished Scenario #60 with Sun and Eclipse

I took the back rooms as Eclipse while Sun went for the closer one. We'd taken more movement cards than normal because of the race aspect (which is loving rough on 2P without fast characters or some serious tricks), and so she didn't have Defensive Stance up when she opened the first door and got a giant ball of snakes in her face. Meanwhile I ran down to the drake room, opened it, and promptly had the Rending Drake run away and then heal after I'd hit it once.

Girlfriend kept dealing with the ball of poisonous, immobilising snakes (including the use of a near-full heal) and opened the ooze room. I ran to the dog room, looted it, and then teleported back to doorway of the ooze room, trapping the snakes outside the room while she nabbed the chest. We both ran to the door and then she exhausted from another half dozen snake bites while I stood there invisible

A really memorable way for Sun to retire.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

26 is awful. Our group failed it 3 times so we kicked the difficulty down to 0 and steamrolled it. No shame, no regrets.

We did it at +1 and don't remember any issues. We had Eclipse and Triforce though which makes pretty much every scenario easy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

We did it at +1 and don't remember any issues. We had Eclipse and Triforce though which makes pretty much every scenario easy.

We did this with our starting classes. I can't remember if we had started advancing to +1 yet but I remember it being a significant challenge and we came close to exhausting but we did it in one go. My Brute used his Trample + Striding boots + Warhammer combo in the last room to get to the back of the room to access the water pumps in the rear, and that was probably the key play. I had to eat some cards to soak damage but I think between the stun and maybe Juggernaut I was able to survive long enough to close 3 then one of my bum teammates finally closed one lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Is there some kind of non-spoilered list of scenarios that are boring/unfun slogs to play through?

I haven't had anything but good experiences yet with this game, but considering how much effort there is in getting it to the table, a lovely scenario could be super frustrating.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there some kind of non-spoilered list of scenarios that are boring/unfun slogs to play through?

I haven't had anything but good experiences yet with this game, but considering how much effort there is in getting it to the table, a lovely scenario could be super frustrating.

Generally when a scenario is bad it's because you have a bad party composition for that specific scenario so it's hard to list. #72 and #74 were both kindof a bitch for us for different reasons, but we usually play four player. Some scenarios, especially the ones that require using loot actions, can be a real bitch if you bring the wrong team (i.e., one without loot action cards). Scenarios with oozes can be very, very problematic if you get bad card draws.

The only ones we've failed, so far, that I remember, were #3, #74, and #18.

#74 spoilers: anyone have any good tips on this one? It's the first one we just got beat on, where it wasn't bad ooze RNG or something similar. It might've been because we had all just recently retired into new lower level characters, but still.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 3, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've also had mostly good experiences, including with the ones that are usually listed as lovely, but I specifically remember a rough list being:

18, 26, 67, 72

More generally, anything with oozes is typically unpopular, and the fan designed scenarios are also thought to be wildly hit and miss.

The two scenarios my party has had to reset on after a resounding early defeat:

34 - got terrible RNG, with the dragon summoning his unkillable zephyrs on 8 of the first 10 rounds, basically swamping the board with them and making them impossible to avoid. The next attempt this didn't happen and it was much more manageable

38 - we managed the ally AI terribly and let him run way ahead instead of arranging ourselves to block his path a bit, and he easily just ran into a room and got slaughtered

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

We're pretty well balanced (Brute/Mindthief/Tinkerer/Spellweaver) so I'm not too worried about that, and I'm not too too worried about the morale hit from just getting hosed over by the RNG since that's the name of the game. (Although I will say my dad's face when he got the null card as an attack draw twice in a row was loving priceless ; watching a 60 something math professor getting hosed by probability in real time, going into the other room to get a whiskey and then being like, "No this loving skeleton is going down, drat it!*", is a thing everyone should see in their lives.)

I meant more like how everyone talks about oozes being annoying and frustrating and it sounds like they generally just suck to fight (from what I've skimmed, trying to not spoil myself too hard). As in, not in a difficult, Dark Souls-style fight that's hard but beatable, but just boring and makes you angry sort of way.

*Was probably not a skeleton ; the actual monster type has been avoided from being spoiled because I can't remember what it was.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah, to be honest even the ones that hosed us and we thought "maybe we need to adjust down/just call it" we were able to readjust our strategy and beat legitimately, and that was more rewarding. Haven't come across a scenario we had to try multiple times (outside of a few of the solo scenarios). It might help that we never play with less than 3 and try to mostly do 4 tho, things might be significantly different at 2 player if you are weak in some specific role that is necessary for the scenario.

We've never had a problem with oozes. I get that the RNG can gently caress you but they have 1 heal card and 2 split cards, and you kind of have to assume they are going to max out to 10, you just need to do damage early so they are spawning normals with only a few hitpoints that can be easily disposed of, or split themselves to death. I suppose if you have the shittiest luck they will keep splitting then healing a turn or 2 later, we haven't experienced that. But then on the flip side if they are splitting and healing that often they aren't attacking either

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

just learned that my spellweaver buddy hasn't been giving himself XP for playing the card that negates all damage, which he has played at least twice per session, across 5 sessions

gonna give him 10 XP and call it good

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Guy A. Person posted:

I get that the RNG can gently caress you but they have 1 heal card and 2 split cards, and you kind of have to assume they are going to max out to 10, you just need to do damage early so they are spawning normals with only a few hitpoints that can be easily disposed of, or split themselves to death. I suppose if you have the shittiest luck they will keep splitting then healing a turn or 2 later, we haven't experienced that.

That's been exactly it for us. We've also once or twice had really bad counter-synchronicities between the optimal scenario goal and individual battle goals that we didn't realize until late in the scenario.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

boar guy posted:

just learned that my spellweaver buddy hasn't been giving himself XP for playing the card that negates all damage, which he has played at least twice per session, across 5 sessions

gonna give him 10 XP and call it good

This has been one of the issues our group has had. At least once per session when I gain XP I'll get 1 or 2 of the others dig through their discards and try to figure out which cards theyve played that gave XP. We're planning on getting in games on both Saturday and Sunday so this is a good reminder to point it out at the start

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ugh haven't played in almost 2 weeks...tough having a gaming partner with a kid with severe autism. we can only play at limited times :shrug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's been exactly it for us. We've also once or twice had really bad counter-synchronicities between the optimal scenario goal and individual battle goals that we didn't realize until late in the scenario.

Ahh gotcha, that makes sense. I was skeptical of how bad RNG could actually be until my experience with #34 which was basically insurmountable, so now I have more sympathy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Guy A. Person posted:

We've never had a problem with oozes. I get that the RNG can gently caress you but they have 1 heal card and 2 split cards, and you kind of have to assume they are going to max out to 10, you just need to do damage early so they are spawning normals with only a few hitpoints that can be easily disposed of, or split themselves to death. I suppose if you have the shittiest luck they will keep splitting then healing a turn or 2 later, we haven't experienced that. But then on the flip side if they are splitting and healing that often they aren't attacking either

Oozes are ok in theory but they break the game's scaling mechanisms in multiple ways. They can be anywhere from joke enemies (low level scenarios with 4 players) to absolute face stomping difficulty (high level scenarios with 2 players), and then there's a layer of RNG on top of that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
A lot of people really hate 81 too. I'm not one of those people but I see a lot of hate for it all over.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Finally got to the end of Envelope X Pretty cool there's another class! We only have two more we haven't played yet so another one just before we get the expansion is nice. The next person who retires and plays him is actually the person who had the first goal to start the whole thing back in July. He had this as his first character's goal so we've had something related to X in the works since we started the game in February 2018.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

A lot of people really hate 81 too. I'm not one of those people but I see a lot of hate for it all over.

Between the invisible enemies and the reduced element table some classes can find themselves out of options a lot of the time. We did it with Sun and Angry Face (which is almost the ideal combo for it) but I can see other classes having real issues (low-level Triforce being the obvious one).

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My wife bought me this game for my birthday, but the group I planned on playing it with fell apart before it even got started.

If I wanted to play this game solo (2 - 3 party members run by me), any tips/tricks/advice?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CobiWann posted:

If I wanted to play this game solo (2 - 3 party members run by me), any tips/tricks/advice?

Aside from the usual starting advice

- Start at 2, and add in a third if and when you feel comfortable.
- There's a difficultly bump for solo play but don't feel you need to use it straight away.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

CobiWann posted:

My wife bought me this game for my birthday, but the group I planned on playing it with fell apart before it even got started.

Don't play the Tinkerer. It's weakest with 2 characters

Accept the fact that you will gently caress up tons of rules and just do better next time. Our group has been playing for a year and we still occasionally find something we did wrong. It is okay :)

This game is hard and the "tutorial" is not easy. It's intended to teach you that this game is hard.

Everyone should get a stamina potion. They're super powerful.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We beat Scenario 20 last night after putting it off for a while.

Sun/Triforce/Cthulhu/Brute plus scenario spoilers.

It was not nearly as bad as we'd expected, going into it. The only seriously threatening enemies were the Night Demons, but there were only three so it wasn't bad at all.

I finally got to do the Sun Class "thing" even though I don't have the enhancement yet. Before Jekserah's room, I laid down both Defensive Stance and Scales of Justice.

The living bones literally exploded against me. They kept multi-attacking, and with the deck stacked with Plagueherald curses and me shielded up, they died fast without me lifting a finger.

Jekserah herself wasn't so bad. The Plagueherald poisoned her up almost immediately, which made a big difference. She quickly ran out of room to summon, and I basically hugged her and let her attack me a bunch. The aforementioned curses meant she didn't do poo poo except hurt herself.

The Brute ended up with the chest item. It seems like a quick turnaround for 25 gold, honestly. For 2 hands, you want an item that's good almost all the time, not something that's only good on every third or fourth scenario.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The treasure chest reward in scenario 20 is linked to a PQ. It's fine to sell it though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The treasure chest reward in scenario 20 is linked to a PQ. It's fine to sell it though.
No kidding! Well, not currently relevant for our characters but good to know.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i just did an escort mission and why has nobody learned that these kinds of missions are Un Fun

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sloober posted:

i just did an escort mission and why has nobody learned that these kinds of missions are Un Fun

I hate escort missions in video games, but I quite enjoyed the one; it added a sense of urgency and didn't let us do as many rests as we liked (No clue if this counts as a spoiler, but I'd rather be safe than sorry)

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

No kidding! Well, not currently relevant for our characters but good to know.

Remember that you don’t need to take every item every time. You can keep the item and just not bring it to the scenario if it’s not going to have the relevant enemy types, then sell it when retirement is in sight.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Vidmaster posted:

Remember that you don’t need to take every item every time. You can keep the item and just not bring it to the scenario if it’s not going to have the relevant enemy types, then sell it when retirement is in sight.
I think 25 gp will ultimately be more useful but I'll let him know. :)

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

I think 25 gp will ultimately be more useful but I'll let him know. :)

Yeah, it kind of depends on what scenarios you have coming up. I found it useful as a Brute for a few scenarios, but that gold is nice to have too if you're not too wealthy.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Turns out our 3rd player is going to become a semi-regular addition, but they're gone all week, so my friend and I did a session tonight where we knocked out #3, #4, and #8. Before we started they shelved their mindthief for a new tinker, so we ran all 3 as Tinker and Brute. I was a little nervous based on what I'd heard about tinker, but we managed to get through #3 by the skin of our teeth - I got exhausted with 9 out of 10 enemies defeated, and they managed to kite around the rest of the guards while whittling the last one we needed down with plenty of cards to spare. After that they had a much better handle on Tinker, and we got through #4 and #8 pretty well. Not easy enough to be boring, and not so hard that we felt bad - about the perfect level of difficulty. We had an awful string of luck with a living bones in the first room of #4 though, where through constant misses and minus cards from the tinker, and the skeleton healing, he managed to stay alive until we'd killed everything in the next room. The tinker told me if that skeleton survived one more attack they were gonna drop a big loss card on him just to finally be done with him. He finally died from my pierce attack as we opened the door to the earth elementals.

We cleared 3 scenarios, they got a perk from checkmarks, and I got my first checkmark perk and hit level 3 at the same time. We both got a decent increase in power, and came away with a new global achievement and like 5 or 6 new scenarios unlocked. We were both sad to end it and excited to play more, game absolutely rules.

Edit: Oh, and retirement quest spoilers: I as the brute started with the "kill 20 cultists/bandits" goal, and I'm at like 12 or 13 now and feel like I could probably polish it off at basically any time depending on the scenarios we choose. No one else is close due to dropping in and out and switching classes. I'm excited to get there, but also not in any big hurry. The unlock is sun, which I don't think I'll want to run in 2 player with a tinker. Might let someone else take it and choose to switch to either cragheart or spellweaver, we'll see! I'll probably push to do cultist stuff next time so I can go ahead and get started on working towards something new, since our tinker had a choice between 2 quests that both seem a long ways off. They ended up going with "complete x amount of scenarios in the swamp."

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

I hate escort missions in video games, but I quite enjoyed the one; it added a sense of urgency and didn't let us do as many rests as we liked (No clue if this counts as a spoiler, but I'd rather be safe than sorry)

i think it's possible to add senses of urgency without a tortuously slow escort, in that one, it accomplishes it on its own with certain events during the process, which i think did more for the mission than being concerned about making sure guy could move two spaces each round