Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yep, and my bog standard Borderlands 1 just turned into Borderlands GOTY on my Steam library too.

I really hope these updates include multi-core rendering, because both games absolutely jam up a single core right now. Frametimes are atrocious even on my 6700k.

Same, loving love this.
Was worried I would lose all my steam achievements if i had to buy the GoTY version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Careful, he'll just ask you why again without reading your post.

I read it. I still don't understand why the devs should care about this.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Jibo posted:

Why would they care about this for a game with literally no competitive element?

Because they're gonna sell you some sort of micro transaction. BL1+2 came out before that was in full swing, but that's now a staple of the genre.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jibo posted:

I read it. I still don't understand why the devs should care about this.

They only would if they are pumping mtx

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Nice find. Jakobs now all have ricocheting bullets. I thought all guns would have the option of having extra accessories, like a grenade launcher, but it sounds like they're limited to Vladof

E: but isn't that a grenade launcher on those bottom atlas rifles? So it's probably different kinds of attachments

Vladof mentions it's gimmick is "Augment these rapid-firing, ammo-hungry guns with under-barrel attachments including tasers, rocket tubes, and additional gun barrels." I think the thing on the Atlas guns is the tracker?

Also, neither Bandit or S&S is around? I guess Vladof might take it's duty? (I had to go look up S&S since I just remembered Bandit replaced something in 2, the wiki claims S&S is confirmed to come back in 3, but has no citation.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/admiralbahroo/status/1113440450155896833?s=21

Does this mean there'll be less loot when playing without instanced loot? Or does more loot drop to compensate?(which would mean overstuffed chests?)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Apparently the outlines on PC versions of 1/2 in the new update can tank performance, it's probably bugged. If you're experiencing performance issues just turn them off for now.

You need to go to the DLC section of Borderlands 2 on steam and add the HD texture pack as a separate download. It seems Borderlands 1 was a game-wide update but Borderlands 2 remaster comes as a separate/optional download.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 3, 2019

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Rinkles posted:

https://twitter.com/admiralbahroo/status/1113440450155896833?s=21

Does this mean there'll be less loot when playing without instanced loot? Or does more loot drop to compensate?(which would mean overstuffed chests?)

This sounds like the whole lobby is hosted by the service :ohdear:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

AzureSkye posted:

Looks like the HD textures for 2 just went up on steam.

Yes, and it also broke the current version of BLCMM's compatibility. God dammit. So much for the community patch until BLCMM gets updated.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
Both of these are my thoughts on it, basically. It's nice to be able to bump the legendary droprate up a couple percent and be able to see 1-2 drop every few hours. I'm also guilty of hacking in a gun after I spent a couple days farming it and getting sick of running the same route every time I fired up the game, and I've given myself a few skins to use early on because who cares.

I don't play lobbies with randoms though so I don't have experience with people going full cheatmode on gear/ammo, that does sound like it sucks.

Rinkles posted:

A lot of people liked improving the drop rates.

Some people liked hacking in perfect versions of weapons without going overboard with cheats because of how impossible they were to get legitimately.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey, instanced loot is great for people who play online with randos but i'm super glad to see there's an option to play without it like my friends and i have been for years

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I guess David Eddings left Gearbox and went to Roosterteeth? I mean I wouldn't want to work for Gearbox either but hey, I guess making lovely anime series pays better. Shame about losing the Claptrap voice.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I guess David Eddings left Gearbox and went to Roosterteeth? I mean I wouldn't want to work for Gearbox either but hey, I guess making lovely anime series pays better. Shame about losing the Claptrap voice.

context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI4Nzx55ObI&t=427s

I prefer David Eddings by far

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
looking through the trailers/intro cinematics and borderlands definitely makes some of the best

especially the music choices

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I've never played Destiny, Division, or Anthem. I enjoyed Borderlands, but don't love it as much as most people do. I thought it was pretty good, but I wanted more RPG out of it. I want multiple Active abilities, more interesting trees etc. Hellgate London had lots of flaws, but I think the loose framework for a potentially great game was there -- and that's kind of what I want. A well made first or third person shooter with POE/Diablo levels of character building (both through loot and abilities).

I strongly suspect this will be more of the same (1 ability per character, boring passive skill tree, and the only loot will be guns/that 1 other gear slot I'm blanking on the name of), except with the added garbage of modern gaming monetization. I'll still buy it and have fun with it, but do you guys think they'll really expand on any of the fundamentals? I suppose we've seen too little to speculate, but it's fun to hope

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Epic Store players are probably not gonna play with Steam users that well, PS4 is gonna have the same issues Fortnite already has and be sequestered off and I have no idea if Xbox users will just stick with Steam or not. Hope you got enough friends on whatever platform you choose, I'm just gonna wait this out for now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sab669 posted:

So I've never played Destiny, Division, or Anthem. I enjoyed Borderlands, but don't love it as much as most people do. I thought it was pretty good, but I wanted more RPG out of it. I want multiple Active abilities, more interesting trees etc. Hellgate London had lots of flaws, but I think the loose framework for a potentially great game was there -- and that's kind of what I want. A well made first or third person shooter with POE/Diablo levels of character building (both through loot and abilities).

I strongly suspect this will be more of the same (1 ability per character, boring passive skill tree, and the only loot will be guns/that 1 other gear slot I'm blanking on the name of), except with the added garbage of modern gaming monetization. I'll still buy it and have fun with it, but do you guys think they'll really expand on any of the fundamentals? I suppose we've seen too little to speculate, but it's fun to hope

Think the vault hunters are supposed to have multiple active abilities

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Epic Store players are probably not gonna play with Steam users that well, PS4 is gonna have the same issues Fortnite already has and be sequestered off and I have no idea if Xbox users will just stick with Steam or not. Hope you got enough friends on whatever platform you choose, I'm just gonna wait this out for now.

Yeah I think the complaints about games like the outer worlds are silly because they're SP, but for bl3 there's a lot of QOL stuff that just isn't in the epic launcher.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

A lot of people liked improving the drop rates.

Some people liked hacking in perfect versions of weapons without going overboard with cheats because of how impossible they were to get legitimately.

I didn't do it, but I never minded people hacking in better drop rates, and I don't think Gearbox did too, or at least had a lazze faire view about it. I never kept track.

It would be cool if they kept up with that, but if they are doing anything that is remotely always online, I doubt they would.

Also, even though I have Borderlands 1 on PC I am half tempted to get the Remaster on PSPro for 4K and HDR in that artstyle.

EDIT: So, our new Vault Hunters:

Moze: Has a Mech?
Fl4k: Has a Skag pet?
Amarra: Punch Siren
Zane: Obligatory drone guy

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 3, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

so... how do you actually get the BL1 remaster/update on steam? is it not up yet?

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

So I played a bit of the PC GOTY Borderlands. Isn't this supposed to be an uprez/remaster? It looks extremely bad and just like it did 10 years ago. Also there's no VSync option so the constant screen tearing is horrendous. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Apparently there are two editions of Borderlands GOTY, the old one (which is the one I was playing) and a new one called Borderlands GOTY Enhanced. People are saying it's showing up in their Steam Libraries as a separate download. There's also reports of it not showing up at all, and showing up as having to purchase it when you already own the full game. :steam:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I thought you needed to have the GotY pack of Borderlands to get the remaster, which is supposed to be all the DLC?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Rinkles posted:

so... how do you actually get the BL1 remaster/update on steam? is it not up yet?

Restart steam and it'll show up on the list as GOTY Enhanced. It's an entirely independent game to B1 GOTY for some reason. So you need to download the whole game again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I installed the old GOTY edition and then the Enhanced GOTY edition appeared in my library, so then I installed that one and uninstalled the old version.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I installed the old GOTY edition and then the Enhanced GOTY edition appeared in my library, so then I installed that one and uninstalled the old version.

Exactly what I did too, Gearbox could have done this slightly more elegantly - I thought GOTY was the update itself

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Restart steam and it'll show up on the list as GOTY Enhanced.
hmm, still not showing up in my library. don't see it anyway. but my regular version of BL1 did become GOTY.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's an entirely independent game to B1 GOTY for some reason. So you need to download the whole game again.
well saves probably aren't compatible between versions, and if for whatever other reason you want to play the original version (like exploits or whatever) this let's you

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rinkles posted:

hmm, still not showing up in my library. don't see it anyway. but my regular version of BL1 did become GOTY.

It just showed up in my library 10 minutes ago, and that's after searching for it in the store, so I guess it's a rolling update?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It just showed up in my library 10 minutes ago, and that's after searching for it in the store, so I guess it's a rolling update?

i found it on the store, but it's priced. hopefully gets cleared up soon.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It must be, I only had bog-standard Borderlands 1 so I don't believe there's a special requirement in place for for the enhanced edition.

Rinkles posted:

i found it on the store, but it's priced. hopefully gets cleared up soon.

Yeah that definitely shouldn't be intended

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It was priced for me too, but also marked as 'in library', so I just downloaded it from the store page.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It was priced for me too, but also marked as 'in library', so I just downloaded it from the store page.

unfortunately not seeing that option

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

unfortunately not seeing that option

Apparently a problem for a lot people. speculation it has something to do with gift/bundled copies, and is probably an oversight.

Also there is a save import option.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Just showed up for me now after a Steam restart. And after doing that for half an hour.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Still frame-pacing problems even on a 6700k/1080ti system. Not a great look. The enhanced edition has no optimization at all for modern hardware

If the old version ran like poo poo on your fancy computer; it'll still run like poo poo in the update. :smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dialogue boxes on the quest screen are still keyed to page up and page down.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Still frame-pacing problems even on a 6700k/1080ti system. Not a great look. The enhanced edition has no optimization at all for modern hardware

If the old version ran like poo poo on your fancy computer; it'll still run like poo poo in the update. :smith:

So, no multi-thread support or what?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

lol aiming down your sight the depth of field causes everything but the gun to blur

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Suran37 posted:

So, no multi-thread support or what?

Nope, afterburner still shows one core taking up all the workload

It shouldn't be a problem though, even on 4k ultra it was only 30% cpu load and 10% gpu load

It's just not outputting the frames evenly

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I saw some new company on the launch screen logos so I'm guessing gearbox farmed this remaster out to someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Coop online was incredibly laggy for me and a buddy. The client joining would always lag horribly.